The Call of the Wild. Harrrison Ford and a CGI dog

Parliament

There will be a day when we get a movie with an all CGI main character that is indistinguishable from a real actor/animal.   That day is NOT today.

Probably 3/4 of the time in this clip when the dog was on screen it didn't look/move/seem real.    I'm not even sure that they used a motion capture suit for some of this. 

Solid 'A' for idea, "D-" for execution

24 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

There will be a day when we get a movie with an all CGI main character that is indistinguishable from a real actor/animal.   That day is NOT today.

Probably 3/4 of the time in this clip when the dog was on screen it didn't look/move/seem real.    I'm not even sure that they used a motion capture suit for some of this. 

Solid 'A' for idea, "D-" for execution

Yeah I am sure with a big enough budget you could probably make that happen today.  Look at The Lion King and what they are doing on The Irishman.  This thing probably didn't have their budgets though. 

I don't think you  ever get over that last couple of scenes in My Dog Skip.

Remember, when reading as a young lad, loving the final lines of the book - with its great reference to the younger world:

But he is not always alone. When the long winter nights come on and the wolves follow their meat into the lower valleys, he may be seen running at the head of the pack through the pale moonlight or glimmering borealis, leaping gigantic above his fellows, his great throat a-bellow as he sings a song of the younger world, which is the song of the pack.