Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

I've always been a little intrigued by LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes/Boots.

I'm the kind of person that wears boots on occasions other than just shit weather including for the pure hell of it.  But it seems like if you are a person who just wants boots for shit weather to include just wet, those may be pretty ideal.

They're not expensive as boots go, pretty much guaranteed for life, more comfortable (I think) than straight rubber boots, but don't require the kind of care that good leather boots would.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

CSB: I included the LL Bean “duck” boots because my dad switched from lace up Red Wings to LL Beans in the winter when he (a Houston native) took us from Midland to Amarillo during the early 80s oil bust.

He calls them “duck” boots and wore them countless times shoveling walks in Amarillo or driving to the company truck to log a well on a winter weekend or family ski trips to NM/CO or stomping through cut milo fields for ducks or pheasant. His career later took him to Houston then Plano then rural central ETX as a “gentleman rancher” in retirement. After watching him wear those boots for 30yrs in inclement weather all over the state and out of state, they still look ridiculously out of place to me south of I-20.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So I absolutely love those things, but there are two levels to them.  The top is the Maine Hunting Shoe, which is awesome.  I have had two pairs in over 35 years.  First pair was resoled 3-4 times, this pair resoled 3 times.  They feel so different from other winter shoes- like they say, kinda like a leather moccasin.  It's amazing how well you can feel the ground but still stay warm and dry even in fairly deep water.  Great traction in all terrain and will absolutely take anything you throw at them - they even have a steel shank.  Never had them leak once when I bothered to tie them.  Best yet, LL Bean will just fix them when they break or wear out - used to be for free, now it's officially not but they have never charged me anything but shipping and for laces (?). 

I love them so much I even bought a second (third) pair in black canvas for warmer Texas weather (not so useful this week).  Unfortunately they don't make the canvas ones for men anymore, and the leather can get hot in normal Texas winter.

The other model is more of a "fashion" model, called the Bean Boot.  It is (very slightly) cheaper and available in lots of options and colors.  The two models look about the same in pics, but not in person.  The Bean Boot is not a total POS or anything, but to me it's not in the same league. No steel shank, stiffer, more plasticky, mostly machine made, no "feel."  Still pretty waterproof and durable by most standards, though and they come in different lengths and have more lining options like flannel, shearling and primaloft. I think the Maine Hunting Shoe only comes in Goretex and standard.

To me the Bean Boots make no sense unless you just gotta have blue rubber or plaid flannel inside.  I mean, the difference is like $10.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 2:29 AM, tx 3 putt said:

yall are some Tecovas buying mofo's 

Boy, you're not kidding.  Apparently a pretty big market for the least "cowboy" cowboy boots ever made.  And to top it off, introducing our Ranch collection - boots no horseman would ever put in a stirrup.  Good lord...this cult following gives me the sads for all Texans.

• Like 1

Even 30 years ago when I first set foot on the 40, I was surprised how few "Texans" (meaning kids that had spent most of their lives in Texas) didn't own a pair of boots.

In my neck of the woods, when young boys/men stop wearing sneakers to school all the time, the first choice was a decent pair of boots.  Some of us had claim to "ranch life" or whatever it is that "qualifies" you to wear boots, but it was a popular thing so the most citified kid owned a pair of boots.

When I got to UT, allofasudden all these guys didn't own a pair of boots, so there was a bit of a mad rush for everyone to catch up, with people usually buying Justin Ropers, if for nothing else to wear to football games.

I suppose that has gotten worse over the years, with all of the "imports" to Texas, but I suspect that Tecovas are kind of the Justin Ropers of the current decade.

18 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So I absolutely love those things, but there are two levels to them.  The top is the Maine Hunting Shoe, which is awesome.  I have had two pairs in over 35 years.  First pair was resoled 3-4 times, this pair resoled 3 times.  They feel so different from other winter shoes- like they say, kinda like a leather moccasin.  It's amazing how well you can feel the ground but still stay warm and dry even in fairly deep water.  Great traction in all terrain and will absolutely take anything you throw at them - they even have a steel shank.  Never had them leak once when I bothered to tie them.  Best yet, LL Bean will just fix them when they break or wear out - used to be for free, now it's officially not but they have never charged me anything but shipping and for laces (?). 

I love them so much I even bought a second (third) pair in black canvas for warmer Texas weather (not so useful this week).  Unfortunately they don't make the canvas ones for men anymore, and the leather can get hot in normal Texas winter.

The other model is more of a "fashion" model, called the Bean Boot.  It is (very slightly) cheaper and available in lots of options and colors.  The two models look about the same in pics, but not in person.  The Bean Boot is not a total POS or anything, but to me it's not in the same league. No steel shank, stiffer, more plasticky, mostly machine made, no "feel."  Still pretty waterproof and durable by most standards, though and they come in different lengths and have more lining options like flannel, shearling and primaloft. I think the Maine Hunting Shoe only comes in Goretex and standard.

To me the Bean Boots make no sense unless you just gotta have blue rubber or plaid flannel inside.  I mean, the difference is like $10.

I had not detected that there was a difference between particular "brands" of Bean boots.  I had noted that some were more "fashion" oriented, but that's good information.

It's my understanding that the leather shaft/upper helps quite a bit with the hot/clammy feeling that all-rubber boots seem to generate in Texas climate.  But my fear of it kept me from pulling the trigger when needing/wanting a pair of lace up boots.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:24 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Doe's anybody have experience with Maida's in Houston? Really nice folks, but we're well into a month on a custom product and there's no end in sight. I need the finished product in about 3 weeks. 

I have two pairs of boots from them, about to order a third. Love them and there is no comparison to store-bought boots, both on fit and quality. 

Turnaround on each pair was four months. He (Sal) was very upfront about the lead time when I ordered the first pair and I knew what to expect when I ordered the second. I doubt you are going to get yours in less than two months.  

18 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

When I lived in Massachusetts, those "hunting shoes" were my "snow boots". They are awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

I have a pair of shearling lined Bean boots, they're good, but have basically no insulation around the foot. The Maine hunting boots sound interesting with no shank to give the moccasin-like feel.

My favorite winter/snow boot up here is by far Bogs Classic High Boots.

I've always thought it was an interesting choice but the "no insulation around the foot" is by design - that's why they tell you to buy your size up north, and up to a size down as you go south.  They expect you'll be putting them over thick-ass socks in the frozen tundra.  Never came up where I've been but I could see it being an issue.

10 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I've always thought it was an interesting choice but the "no insulation around the foot" is by design - that's why they tell you to buy your size up north, and up to a size down as you go south.  They expect you'll be putting them over thick-ass socks in the frozen tundra.  Never came up where I've been but I could see it being an issue.

Yeah by being pretty conclusively water-tight, they largely avoid the need for insulation.  And like you say, leave it to the socks, which is important for moisture management in that same water-tight package.

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Does anybody have a suggestion for barn coat? I'm looking for something a little nicer than Carhartt. Schaefer Outfitters looks pretty promising, but I'd like some more options. 

What do you mean by nicer?

https://www.filson.com/workwear/work-jackets-and-coats/tin-cloth-short-lined-cruiser-jacket.html#sku=11010762-fco-000000042

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

For lack of a better word, I’m looking for something dressier than a Carhartt. Something I can wear to the office. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Does anybody have a suggestion for barn coat? I'm looking for something a little nicer than Carhartt. Schaefer Outfitters looks pretty promising, but I'd like some more options. 

Filson Tin Cloth Coat or Orvis Heritage Field Coat.  The Orvis Heritage Field Coat regularly goes on sale for under $200 and will outlast you. The Filson is even better. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

+1 on Filson. Maybe not a tin coat, but check out the Tacoma work jacket.

Edited by Masshole Horn

I've never really "gotten" designer type casual wear, particularly when it's work-casual.

Never really understood designer jeans, but it's even moreso with a jeans jacket or something like a barn coat.  What statement does a standard Levis or Wrangler denim jacket fail to make?

I get dropping bucks on suits or dress casual.  I get paying obscene money for a decent pair of khakis anymore.  I'm not ever going to get it when it comes to jeans/"jeanswear."

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/21/2021 at 11:31 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have two pairs of boots from them, about to order a third. Love them and there is no comparison to store-bought boots, both on fit and quality. 

Turnaround on each pair was four months. He (Sal) was very upfront about the lead time when I ordered the first pair and I knew what to expect when I ordered the second. I doubt you are going to get yours in less than two months.  

Sal came through with a about a week to spare. Really nice guy and family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/20/2021 at 12:00 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I'm the kind of person that wears boots on occasions other than just shit weather including for the pure hell of it.  But it seems like if you are a person who just wants boots for shit weather to include just wet, those may be pretty ideal.

They're not expensive as boots go, pretty much guaranteed for life, more comfortable (I think) than straight rubber boots, but don't require the kind of care that good leather boots would.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, Llano Estacado said:

CSB: I included the LL Bean “duck” boots because my dad switched from lace up Red Wings to LL Beans in the winter when he (a Houston native) took us from Midland to Amarillo during the early 80s oil bust.

He calls them “duck” boots and wore them countless times shoveling walks in Amarillo or driving to the company truck to log a well on a winter weekend or family ski trips to NM/CO or stomping through cut milo fields for ducks or pheasant. His career later took him to Houston then Plano then rural central ETX as a “gentleman rancher” in retirement. After watching him wear those boots for 30yrs in inclement weather all over the state and out of state, they still look ridiculously out of place to me south of I-20.

I’ve had the same pair of 10” LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes since 1990.
The upper on the right has a chunk missing courtesy of a dog that died 25 years ago. I’m going to send them to Bean to get resoled/oiled this summer. They are the absolute best option for wet muck and no western boot comes close. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’ve had the same pair of 10” LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes since 1990.
The upper on the right has a chunk missing courtesy of a dog that died 25 years ago. I’m going to send them to Bean to get resoled/oiled this summer. They are the absolute best option for wet muck and no western boot comes close. 

Curious if they charge you.  They've never charged me.

On 2/21/2021 at 9:41 AM, Landomatic said:

Boy, you're not kidding.  Apparently a pretty big market for the least "cowboy" cowboy boots ever made.  And to top it off, introducing our Ranch collection - boots no horseman would ever put in a stirrup.  Good lord...this cult following gives me the sads for all Texans.

Lawyers got to look good in their f250's without a spec of dirt on it and skinny jeans!

On 2/20/2021 at 5:42 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

So I noticed on one of those live in the artic circle shows that some of the guys were wearing boots identical to the ones you’ve described.  I HATE having cold feet when I hunt, and have never been able to find the right boot. So I started looking into them.  I’ve seen new ones listed $200 ish and some nib from 80s for sale for $600.   Have they dropped in quality at some point?   Trying to make sure I get the right ones, going to give them a shot.  I know @Llano Estacado old man and if they work for him, good enough for me. 

My cow chasers are several pair of cowhide Anderson Beans. When it’s nasty or cold as balls, I’ve got a pair of 13 year old Georgia MudDogs that kick some serious ass. Waterproof and insulated. Best mucking around boot I’ve ever had.
Do they make muddogs with steel toes?

On 3/3/2021 at 5:10 PM, fattyflattie said:

So I noticed on one of those live in the artic circle shows that some of the guys were wearing boots identical to the ones you’ve described.  I HATE having cold feet when I hunt, and have never been able to find the right boot. So I started looking into them.  I’ve seen new ones listed $200 ish and some nib from 80s for sale for $600.   Have they dropped in quality at some point?   Trying to make sure I get the right ones, going to give them a shot.  I know @Llano Estacado old man and if they work for him, good enough for me. 

The boots you are seeing in the Artic Circle are probably Sorels.  Fairly similar look, but usually have a felt liner.  Heavy duty insulation.

There is a general belief among aficionados that everything Bean has dropped in quality.  Blucher and Camp Mocs, Maine Hunting Shoes, all of it.  I think as a practical matter, most of their stuff is still pretty good if a little more disposable than in the past.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2021 at 11:58 AM, williemackgarza said:

So for work/casual boots I like rhe Lucchese Crepe Soles.
Comfortable as hell walkin around job sites or casual wear.
Not sure if Lucc canceled the crepe sole as I cant find them anywhere.
Does tecova or bean have similar or other brand?

Yeah, I bought a pair of Justin Tekno Crepes as knock-around boots, kind of a cross between Red Wings and more Western boots.  They are really comfortable.  They're plain cowhide with a toe bug and the kind of stupid double row welt stitching.  Oddly, I have gotten as many or more compliments on them over the years than more exotic or dressy boots.

I just went to the Justin site.  Woof, there are a bunch of shitty lookin boots on there.

Tony Lama is almost as bad and they quit with their standard, classic bullhide and shoulder stockman boots.  That's a low-down dirty shame.

I'm not even going to look at Nocona.

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Lucchese is overpriced shit.

we're all open to your sharing of comparable quality at a lower price boot brands? lets hear em!

(not being a smart ass legit want to know)

Edited by NoName

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

we're all open to your sharing of comparable quality at a lower price boot brands? lets hear em!

(not being a smart ass legit want to know)

I agree that Lucchese is pretty proud of their boots in terms of price.  Classics are probably as good a production boot as you can find.

Black Jack Boots are of equivalent quality without the hefty price tag, although they are spendy enough.  Supposedly, when Lucchese expanded to lower priced boots in the 1883 and 2000 ranges, they let some of their handcrafters in El Paso go, and they are mostly now employed by Black Jack.

Anderson Bean/Rios of Mercedes/Olathe Boots (all the same company basically) are of similar quality, but tend toward the less dressy except Rios.

Just about everything else is a step up to custom or a step down to less-handmade/less "fully welted" construction.

• Hook 'Em 1