Silky Johnston

Cowboy Boots

Posted (edited)

I like the looks of the Eastwoods.

Edit:  Alison, especially, but those boots aren't bad either.

740full-alison-eastwood.jpg

Edited by Kennythetiger

Welp. Good or bad the guys from Rtic have found another idea from someone else they can do cheaper.

https://www.cuero.com

Is up and running. Calfskin and Suede offerings currently. Launching at $150 I’m tempted to get some calfskin beaters, but feel some loyalty to Tecovas.

Funny, I was gonna post about these today. I'm tempted too. I figure I'll be buying more Tecovas in the future regardless so I might do it. Do I really need another pair of beaters is the question.

Do I really need another pair of beaters is the question.

Yes, is the answer. Need to have “nice” beaters and bad beaters in an array of colors.

Justin, Redwing, AB, Nocona, Tecovas, Cuero, et al.

Yes, is the answer. Need to have “nice” beaters and bad beaters in an array of colors.

Justin, Redwing, AB, Nocona, Tecovas, Cuero, et al.
You make a good case.

Wow. Thinking about purchasing a pair too. Based on their instagram they have ostrich and caiman on the way too. 

5 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Hmmmm... never owned a suede boot. What is the care protocol? Do they stain very easily?

Not sure about the latest iterations of "waterproof" suede, but traditionally, you keep them up with a wire brush and pumice stone.  Moreso than staining, when they get wet and or "rubbed" on, they go "shiny" and kind of discolored.  The wire brush and pumice stone keep the "nap" up, and get dirt out of it.  Frequent treatment with spray silicone water proofer (Scotchgard type stuff) can help.

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Cuero Eastwoods in black. Just couldn't pass up the price and I don't currently have any black boots.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Cuero Eastwoods in black. Just couldn't pass up the price and I don't currently have any black boots.

Ordered some Saturday. They’re definitely not winning the shipping battle with Tecovas. Mine are still sitting in Houston. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:
Ordered some Saturday. They’re definitely not winning the shipping battle with Tecovas. Mine are still sitting in Houston. 

Ordered mine Sunday and they were supposed to arrive yesterday but ended up arriving today. Still pretty fast. They're nice boots. Almost identical in look, fit and quality to Tecovas (I have two pair of those -- the ostrich and the caiman). In fact I wonder if Cuero is using the same manufacturer in Leon, Mexico.

175395acf42eae9c84829b806620280c.jpg

However there's a flaw in the stitching just above the heel on one boot. Trying to decide if I should return them or not. It's small and probably not noticeable with jeans (it's on the inside ankle), and I could probably cover it with polish, but still...

16f1144b06e1cf67130a20fe58f3b46a.jpgfef86b8728bf29c84e4688708a04beed.jpg

Edited by Art Vandelay

Not bad!  Yeah, youre entitled to an exchange I would think, or return if you want, but I don't think that's ever going to amount to anything.  Some black shoe polish would fix the discoloration and make that tuft sit down.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not bad!  Yeah, youre entitled to an exchange I would think, or return if you want, but I don't think that's ever going to amount to anything.  Some black shoe polish would fix the discoloration and make that tuft sit down.

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards. I don't think it's a big deal. I will say they're very comfortable right out of the box, just like my Tecovas. All in all, well worth $150!

Posted (edited)

Gawd that's so weird looking without stitching coming through the lining.  It's really common among less-than-high-end boots from what I've seen at the western stores.

With stitching, it actually stiffens the shaft of the boot some, in addition to being decorative and keeping the lining tacked down  I sense, though, that it doesn't do that as effectively if it doesn't come through the lining. I suppose that "cording" would have the same effect, depending on how it's done. Will be interesting to see if the tops flop over on all these.

Also seems odd to me that there's much cost saving not stitching through the lining.  Either way you gotta glue the lining to the shaft, but then I guess you have to stitch through more material, but they use a damned sewing machine, so what's the big deal?

Edited by TwiceHorn

You’re drastically overthinking this.

A quick look at a handful of my boots that I have sitting out reveals 4 Justin’s with no stitching through the inside liner, one with it and one with stitching through the collar only. Three Blackjack boots, none with stitching through the liner. Three Anderson Bean, two with stitching through the liner and one without. One pair Tony lama with the stitching through the upper liner. One Rios of Mercedes, stitching through the upper. One pair Ariat with no stitching through the liner.

I believe the whole traditional reason for stitching through the lining came from back in the early days of cowboy boots when they only had stuff like wheat paste for glue. It just didn't hold very well, so the stitching held the liner in when the glue broke down. I suspect the same goes for the toe bug. You also have to remember that these boots back in the day were worn in all weather conditions and every day, so that probably happened pretty quickly. It's not such an issue now as long as the glue is even and there isn't a problem with the leather, but glue does regularly break down in the soles, so proper construction there is important.

Also, it takes a lot more skill to sew up the side seam perfectly, trim it properly, and then hammer it flat so that it isn't a nuisance. If you make the shaft inside out you hide that seam and speed up your process.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Cool thanks. If I recall, that was an issue with early Tecovas.

Yeah I remember that being an issue as well. That, and the squeaking.

Edited by Art Vandelay

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Also, it takes a lot more skill to sew up the side seam perfectly, trim it properly, and then hammer it flat so that it isn't a nuisance. If you make the shaft inside out you hide that seam and speed up your process.

Didn't even notice that (the lining covering up the seam).  That may be unconsciously part of why I think it looks so weird.

I am not following how making the shaft "inside out" avoids the seam, though, and I think  I have seen custom makers working shafts inside out?

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just tried on my suede cueros and they are very comfortable. They are slightly, very slightly larger than my Tecovas. I wear an 11D in both.

Definitely worth the $150.

I’ve only got a handful of round toes, but The Jake in driftwood grey....it speaks to me.

i got the same suede cuero's but i'm exchanging them.  i just don't think i'd wear them very often or pick them over my tan tecova's.  they're sending me the cherry ropers in return.

there was a funky stitch or knot right on the sole by the heel.  i wish i would've taken a picture before sending them back.  i hope they work out the issues before they start selling the exotics.

Was the knot on the inside under the insole? If so we used to run into that quite a bit with Justin’s and the rest of the Berkshire Hathaway line. The piping down the shaft was cut too long and they tucked it under the insole, caused quite the uncomfortable pressure point on the mid-heel.

The leather on the Cuero Eastwoods looks weathered while the leather on the Tecovas Cartwrights is smooth. They're both calf skin, but I think the Tecovas look like traditional calf skin boots. 

Can anybody speak to the comfort of the Eastwoods? I need a severe beater for rodeo committee work next year. 

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The leather on the Cuero Eastwoods looks weathered while the leather on the Tecovas Cartwrights is smooth. They're both calf skin, but I think the Tecovas look like traditional calf skin boots. 

Can anybody speak to the comfort of the Eastwoods? I need a severe beater for rodeo committee work next year. 

Mine were very comfortable right out of the box. The fit is almost identical to my Tecovas.

Got my exchange from Cuero today.  I got the Cherry Ropers and they look and feel great. A bit more snug than Tecovas but nothing I’m concerned about. No visible flaws on this pair.

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, thestud said:

I love it when someone looks at my boots and says “oh hey I’ve got a pair of black full quills just like those!”. Then I lift my pant leg up and show them they don’t own anything like what I’m wearing. Very pretentious I know.

I do this too, but mainly so I can surprise them when they discover the length of my penis. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
...just enough to win.

I have two pair from BlackJack. Better make sure they fit perfect because they do not stretch at all. Not even a little. Tough as nails though. Impossibly to hurt them

5 minutes ago, thestud said:

I have two pair from BlackJack. Better make sure they fit perfect because they do not stretch at all. Not even a little. Tough as nails though. Impossibly to hurt them

Generally true of BlackJack, or just the stingray?

Stingray in general. It doesn’t stretch or break down. However it fits from day 1 is how it fits 10 years later

Don’t take that as me trying to deter you from them. They’re badass, both from a unique aesthetic standpoint and from their durability. I love mine and if I could still get them for the price I used to I’d probably get another pair. Just wanted you to know it’s different than regular leathers.

Just for perspective, when working with stingray leather most folks advise you to use a dremel tool on the bumps where you plan on stitching it just so you can make holes in it. So yeah it's tough stuff.

I had a customer with more money than he had sense. I ordered him and his wife matching black knee high stingrays with a vibram sole for riding their Harley’s in.

I have a tarsal boss on my feet. Not painful at all just a decent bump. So they may not be in the cards for me.

Maybe a thick stingray wingtip and on a leather vamp.