Jhawk

2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Rained out again today in Houston. This is getting old. I haven’t played 18 holes on firm fairways in about 6 weeks.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Tight lie today on 11.
ea183438aa3a1292fe02971f1329a594.jpg

Where is that?  Obviously not where it reminds me of...

I grew up playing at Riverside between Lake Jackson and Brazoria.  Hole 9 was a short par 4 over water with a bridge right of the fairway, tree “guarding” the green short right (but not really in play) and bunkers short on both sides of the green.  Really similar to the pic.

In HS, I hit one right off the tee that settled on the bridge. Unlike the above there were rubber strips to to limit wear on the wooden bridge.  I played my sand wedge off the bridge and pulled it back damn near the length of green to hole out for eagle.  Almost every time after that I’d hit one off the bridge and never came close to holing it again.  But they always spun like crazy.  

Separately, from less challenging lies I also bounced more than one off the clubhouse that was easily 40 yards behind the green. 

Edited by brown water

Where is that?  Obviously not where it reminds me of...
I grew up playing at Riverside between Lake Jackson and Brazoria.  Hole 9 was a short par 4 over water with a bridge right of the fairway, tree “guarding” the green short right (but not really in play) and bunkers short on both sides of the green.  Really similar to the pic.

In HS, I hit one right off the tee that settled on the bridge. Unlike the above there were rubber strips to to limit wear on the wooden bridge.  I played my sand wedge off the bridge and pulled it back damn near the length of green to hole out for eagle.  Almost every time after that I’d hit one off the bridge and never came close to holing it again.  But they always spun like crazy.  

Lakewood CC Dallas

5 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Tight lie today on 11.
ea183438aa3a1292fe02971f1329a594.jpg

Sounds dumb,  but actually pretty easy to play off of. Will spin like a mofo. 

4 minutes ago, pops said:

Sounds dumb,  but actually pretty easy to play off of. Will spin like a mofo. 

Likely no local rule so drop back, no closer to hole? Can you choose fairway vs rough since bridge likely has no specific rule?

Likely no local rule so drop back, no closer to hole? Can you choose fairway vs rough since bridge likely has no specific rule?

It’s in a water hazard. Play it as it lies or use standard hazard rules to drop w penalty.

13 minutes ago, Lurch said:

It’s in a water hazard. Play it as it lies or use standard hazard rules to drop w penalty.

W penalty huh, that's a tough break but dem'd'rules.

I actually had to call it in. The hazard paint did not cross the cart path Apparently it is treated as cart path so I got a free drop. If it had been farther from the edge I might have tried to hit it off the bridge but the edge was in my swing path.

38 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I actually had to call it in. The hazard paint did not cross the cart path Apparently it is treated as cart path so I got a free drop. If it had been farther from the edge I might have tried to hit it off the bridge but the edge was in my swing path.

Local rules are always a guessing game. Typically that is considered in the hazard but good for you for getting relief. 

That can’t be right. That would imply the water under the bridge isn’t hazard.

That can’t be right. That would imply the water under the bridge isn’t hazard.

Wut?

Hazards are vertical. If the water under the bridge is hazard, the bridge is. The paint is irrelevant, short of a local rule, imo.

Hazards are vertical. If the water under the bridge is hazard, the bridge is. The paint is irrelevant, short of a local rule, imo.

You say this as if there is a rule to support it yet you don’t provide it.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

You say this as if there is a rule to support it yet you don’t provide it.

The rule is pretty simple.  If it’s your ball on the bridge, it’s inbounds.  If it’s the other guy’s ball, it’s o.b.  

On 6/24/2020 at 9:59 PM, conVINCEd said:

I’ve owned one putter in my 30ish year golfing life.  Ping, probably from the 80’s.  Grandfather gave it to me when I started playing semi-seriously.   Always been a pretty good putter, never felt the need to upgrade.  I’ve putted  with some of the new stuff, and I just don’t feel like there is some massive technological advantage I am giving up like there is with every other club.  Everything else in the bag has been upgraded many, many  times over the years, but I very well may die with that putter.

So much this. I've been using the same Zebra for over 30 years. I've flirted with a lot of others but I have yet to find one that is more reliable. I put a 1 5/16 grip on it and can't imagine using anything else.

We play a 1,2,5 game on the weekends with up to 12 players. I had 5 birdies and 2 bogies for a 69 and 2 eggs today. One stroke from shooting my age again.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:41 AM, Lurch said:

On 8/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, Lurch said:

On 8/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, DDD Dad said:

Nonresponsive.

Look. I get it. My initial reaction is that it should be in the hazard/penalty area. But if the bridge isn’t marked then it’s an open question. Here the paint stopped on either side of the path.

So it’s up to the staff to define where the penalty area is.

So after doing some more digging I think the staff gave me the wrong answer.  Best as I can tell, even if penalty area is marked with stakes and lines (as is the case at my course), it is not necessarily required for the line to cross over the path/bridge for the bridge to be part of the penalty area.   IMO the better practice would be to note one way or the other on the scorecard or in shop as a local rule.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, DDD Dad said:

So after doing some more digging I think the staff gave me the wrong answer.  Best as I can tell, even if penalty area is marked with stakes and lines (as is the case at my course), it is not necessarily required for the line to cross over the path/bridge for the bridge to be part of the penalty area.   IMO the better practice would be to note one way or the other on the scorecard or in shop as a local rule.

Yep. That's the way it works under the rules. Whatever is under the bridge is treated the same as being on the bridge,  but the course always has the authority to make a local rule.