DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics

It's basic risk analysis...

This is America; you want to be an anti vaxxer, go for it. That’s your right and no one can take it away. But don’t frame it like this, because it’s wholly unsupported and does not make you look smart the way you want it to.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Replies 57.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atomheartbevo

• dcar00

• Cheeseweasel

• MNLonghornFUKM

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Against my better judgment and several beers deep, I have taken you up on this, potentially ending my streak of totally worthless posts. I have done 3 and 7 day averages only on the Worldometer data. 

Daughter’s home. A little PTSD, we’re picking up Whataburger to help.

Just try and imagine GreenspointTexas being the person to intubate you as you fight for your life against COVID-19. You’re laying there gasping for air while he chastises you for all the things you li

Posted Images

12 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Would it be ok if everyone had an ID that said if they were HIV or Hepatitis C positive? 

Wow. Even for you this is a dumb one. Maybe you should use all of your supposedly specialized medical knowledge honed in the winter wonderland of San Antonio to try to figure out what’s different between Covid, HIV and hepatitis C. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Wow. Even for you this is a dumb one. Maybe you should use all of your supposedly specialized medical knowledge honed in the winter wonderland of San Antonio to try to figure out what’s different between Covid, HIV and hepatitis C. 

It’s more that it’s personal health info. A communicable disease although far less so. 

I’m honestly surprised that people are going for this. It such an obvious thing that is rolled out under “emergency” pretenses, but never rolled back, and ultimately expanded. 

8 minutes ago, topochico said:

Are you seriously in the field of medicine? This is not even in the same ballpark of discussion.  If someone is HIV or Hep C positive, they should absolutely disclose that to anyone they could potentially infect before they engage in sexual activities/needle sharing etc. That's just basic common decency for a fellow human. It's also the law in several states. I am sure you would be plenty upset if one of your patients was HIV+ and purposely lied to you about their status after you got a needle stick or eye splash while caring for them. 

The HIPPA/personal health info arguments amuse me too. People can voluntarily allow anyone to have access to their healthcare information. If you allow the surgeon to talk with your wife about how the procedure went, it doesn't violate HIPPA. Showing your vaccine passport to avoid an unnecessary COVID test or quarantine with travel would be exactly that. Voluntary disclosure. 

People have the right to skip the vaccine. Businesses have the right to afford privileges to people who choose to become vaccinated and voluntarily disclose that information for said benefits. The Miami Heat just want to generate ticket sales. If a vaccine allows them to put 200 people in a section vs 30, go for it. If you don't want the vaccine or don't want your medical information disclosed, go sit in section 220 instead. Your body, your choice. Their arena, their choice. Now, if they do decide to allow a group sex event in the American Airlines Arena, they should probably ask for the HIV ID that you propose. 

HIPAA

18 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It’s more that it’s personal health info. A communicable disease although far less so. 

I’m honestly surprised that people are going for this. It such an obvious thing that is rolled out under “emergency” pretenses, but never rolled back, and ultimately expanded. 

276de85a-a50f-415b-80ca-256afe56c0e8_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, topochico said:

Are you seriously in the field of medicine? This is not even in the same ballpark of discussion.  If someone is HIV or Hep C positive, they should absolutely disclose that to anyone they could potentially infect before they engage in sexual activities/needle sharing etc. That's just basic common decency for a fellow human. 

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/blog/laws/do-i-have-to-tell-a-sexual-partner-that-i-am-hiv-positive-in-california/

Penal Code 120290 is California’s law on willful exposure to an infectious disease. PC 120290 makes it a misdemeanor to have unprotected sex without telling a partner of an STD – but only if the intention is to infect the other person.

If the person is actually infected as a result of the intentional HIV exposure, PC 120290 can be punished by:

Up to 6 months in jail, and/or

A fine of up to $1,000.

22 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I still haven’t gotten a response from the people who refuse to get a vaccine. Why are you willing to take the chance of unknown long term health effects of covid but aren’t willing to chance any unknown long term health effects of the vaccine?

I can tell you how I process it. The infection mortality rate in my metro is 0.075%. Given my physical profile, altruistically I am happy to let others go ahead. I would consider whether the adverse event rate of the vaccine would be +/- 0.075%.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I can tell you how I process it. The infection mortality rate in my metro is 0.075%. Given my physical profile, altruistically I am happy to let others go ahead. I would consider whether the adverse event rate of the vaccine would be +/- 0.075%.

The mortality rate of the vaccine is zero as far as I am aware. Why are you comparing deaths from the disease to “adverse event rate” of the vaccine?  Either compare mortality rates or compare adverse event rates.  

• Hook 'Em 4
39 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The mortality rate of the vaccine is zero as far as I am aware. Why are you comparing deaths from the disease to “adverse event rate” of the vaccine?  Either compare mortality rates or compare adverse event rates.  

Because as I noted clearly in English this is my calculus. Adjusted for inputs my mortality risk is basically 0%.

11 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Holy fucking shit at comparing HIV/AIDS to COVID. Only a fucking quack chiropractor could come up with tha...oh. 

Again, I was giving another example of personal health information. Jesus. 

Maybe I shouldn’t be shocked that people support the vaccine passport idea, but I kind of am. 

Just remember, “before granting any power to government, first imagine that power wielded by the politician you despise most. because one day, it will be.”

Requiring government permission via vaccine passport to do basic things like travel or eat out at restaurants or work going forward is a terrible fucking idea. It may not start there but it will get there. It will be expanded upon by people you don’t like. As we’ve seen, people can get canceled. You haven’t had your booster, you need to go home and so on. 

And please don’t go on about how it’s private companies that will want this. How are airlines not doing government bidding on things like this? They’ve been bailed out repeatedly. Big corporations and government are hand in glove at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What’s your calculation on a week long hospital stay?

What's your's on clutching your pearls in isolation for a year? Sorry ... your vag lips.

Edited by Kyle
1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Maybe I shouldn’t be shocked that people support the vaccine passport idea, but I kind of am. 

Just remember, “before granting any power to government, first imagine that power wielded by the politician you despise most. because one day, it will be.”

Requiring government permission via vaccine passport to do basic things like travel or eat out at restaurants or work going forward is a terrible fucking idea. It may not start there but it will get there. It will be expanded upon by people you don’t like. As we’ve seen, people can get canceled. You haven’t had your booster, you need to go home and so on. 

And please don’t go on about how it’s private companies that will want this. How are airlines not doing government bidding on things like this? They’ve been bailed out repeatedly. Big corporations and government are hand in glove at this point. 

Well at least we know that the talking points are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
8 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Again, it is not the government. It is private companies. This isn't a "papers please" situation. People volunteer to get extensive background checks to qualify for TSA pre-check and avoid the longer lines/shoe removal hassle at the airport. It's not required, but people give up personal information for a perceived benefit. Is that the airlines doing government bidding? 

Schools require up to date vaccinations to re-enroll. Kids on sports teams have to get a physical and release that information to play HS football. We voluntarily provide health information all of the time because the benefits outweigh the perceived risks/concerns. Why is this now, such a big deal? 

I'm sorry, but this just seems like such a weird hill to die on. If you don't want the vaccine, cool. If you want to get the vaccine but don't want anyone to know, cool. If I choose to do both, why do you care? 

I honestly can't imagine what my most despised politician would do with my vaccine status information that would cause me harm. 

• Like 2

Are you under the impression that the government doesn’t already have data on who is and isn’t getting the vaccine?
  • Hook 'Em 2
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 2:29 PM, Kyle said:

It violates HIPAA for one. Once you open the door there is a slippery slope. It is ironic that HIPAA was created to protect HIV/AIDS patients from revealing their HIV/AIDS status - a death sentence - and now we want to basically force everyone to reveal their health information to the UT athletic department. Where does does it end? There are other viruses and conditions that are deadly - we going to require a flu shot passport?

We do- I’ve had to get shots for busines travel, my kids have gotten them to attend school and so have I and you probably have too, etc. Also it doesn’t violate HIPAA, as the privacy rule applies to a specific set of covered entities. At least for people- not sure about bird law.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:34 PM, Ridingtosunset said:

Good enough. I've had it, one rough day, one week of feeling like I had a cold. Why wouldn't I let the vaccine data play out. I probable still have antibodies, my immune system handled it. We have much more data on the virus than we do the vaccine. Everyone's decision is made under different circumstances. Vaccine shaming or whatever is fucking silly. 

I do need to lose about 20lbs, though. You got me there. 

In that case you’re contributing to the emergence of variants. Not your fault for getting sick, obviously, but people choosing to not get vaccinated are not only putting others at risk, but also making it more likely that vaccines and therapies lose their ability to help the vulnerable.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:01 PM, GRHorn said:

Would it be ok if everyone had an ID that said if they were HIV or Hepatitis C positive? 

Imagine not understanding the difference between having immunity from a contagious disease and suffering from a chronic, incurable contagious disease.

23 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I’m pretty meh on a vaccine passport program of any kind but y’all’s dumbfuck arguments against it are getting me there.

+1, see below

10 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 2:59 PM, Kyle said:

I would argue that covid does not warrant the level of public safety concern as does something like smallpox

What about chicken pox. Because we currently require it for chicken pox so covid is definitely in play

eta we quit vaccinating for smallpox around 1970. Because compliance with vaccinations eradicated smallpox. We got close with measles in the 90’s but then people started doing their own research 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

The point of the vaccine "passport" (super-cool name by the way) isn't to keep track of who has gotten the vaccine.  It's to have a tacit way to identify the stupid people who didn't get one for a legitimate medical/religious reason.  We're going to build a database of the foolish outliers, the empowered stupid.  It's a page from the Cambridge-Analytics playbook.  And with that, we will know where the next "problem" for America is coming from.  By not vaccinating yourself, you're helping us vaccinate our nation from your stupidity.  And you'll never know we did it.  Again, because you're stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The point of the vaccine "passport" (super-cool name by the way) isn't to keep track of who has gotten the vaccine.  It's to have a tacit way to identify the stupid people who didn't get one for a legitimate medical/religious reason.  We're going to build a database of the foolish outliers, the empowered stupid.  It's a page from the Cambridge-Analytics playbook.  And with that, we will know where the next "problem" for America is coming from.  By not vaccinating yourself, you're helping us vaccinate our nation from your stupidity.  And you'll never know we did it.  Again, because you're stupid.

This is exactly it. Yourself and people like you think it’s a good way to punish a minority of people that you don’t like. This whole idea sets up a precedent and if implemented an infrastructure to expand that idea to different sets of people that haven’t been thought of yet. 

Also it actually sets things back as things are already opening all over the country. We don’t need some new clearance system to allow it. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Are you under the impression that the government doesn’t already have data on who is and isn’t getting the vaccine?

Of course they do. Are they currently stopping people from doing things based on that data? No. But that’s what some people here would like. 

Edited by GRHorn

More like .02 of you
Posted (edited)

While brain geniuses debate whether the slope slips merely to the Soviet gulags in the 50s or all the way to Cambodia in 1977, the data is emerging that unlike the original variant, B117 spreads readily among and sickens schoolkids. 
But sure, let’s just vaccinate the vulnerable and churn out more variants for freedom. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1
23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

While brain geniuses debate whether the slope slips merely to the Soviet gulags in the 50s or all the way to Cambodia in 1977, the data is emerging that unlike the original variant, B117 spreads readily among and sickens schoolkids. 
But sure, let’s just vaccinate the vulnerable and churn out more variants for freedom. 

Hey if it doesn’t affect me personally why should I give a shit?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
58 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This is exactly it. Yourself and people like you think it’s a good way to punish a minority of people that you don’t like. This whole idea sets up a precedent and if implemented an infrastructure to expand that idea to different sets of people that haven’t been thought of yet. 

Also it actually sets things back as things are already opening all over the country. We don’t need some new clearance system to allow it. 

If it were up to people like me, these anti-vaccers would be on trains to re-education camps where they'd help fold boxes for vaccine vials to be shipped to real Americans.  

I can't wait to ostracize and marginalize people that had a chance to take the shots and refused (we're not there yet, obviously---gotta get through the priority groups before we start making "the other list").  Your guy had his chance to cleanse the nation.  Now, it's my turn (by the way, I know you don't like to hear it, but I a far more powerful Republican that you could ever possibly be).  

• Hook 'Em 1
13 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Just spent 4 years cheering on a wannabe autocrat and now pretends to give a fuck about government overreach.

good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

We wouldnt have to have a vaccine passport if people... you know... uh... actually got the vaccine

At this point in the pandemic, I dont even know how dumb motherfuckers are even still catching corona. You gotta be a complete jackass to catch it at this point, 14 months in

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Lobo said:

If it were up to people like me, these anti-vaccers would be on trains to re-education camps where they'd help fold boxes for vaccine vials to be shipped to real Americans.  

I can't wait to ostracize and marginalize people that had a chance to take the shots and refused (we're not there yet, obviously---gotta get through the priority groups before we start making "the other list").  Your guy had his chance to cleanse the nation.  Now, it's my turn (by the way, I know you don't like to hear it, but I a far more powerful Republican that you could ever possibly be).  

Might I recommend:

art school.jpeg

We're not going to bother with an art contest.  But if I see that a young person's parents are on the "no-vaccine" list for no good reason...I can only assume they are also stupid...or at least incredibly influenced by stupid people.  And as such, we will do all we can to make sure they have no place in Texas.  If we can't vote you out...we'll watch you die out.

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

I’m 110% on board with the vaccine, but you realize how crazy this makes you seem, right? 

Look morons. You don’t have a constitutional right to go to Disneyworld. If Disneyworld wants you to have a vaccine passport, a recent negative COVID test, or a really large sombrero hat on before entry they can choose to require you to do so. Stop being stupid.

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Look morons. You don’t have a constitutional right to go to Disneyworld. If Disneyworld wants you to have a vaccine passport, a recent negative COVID test, or a really large sombrero hat on before entry they can choose to require you to do so. Stop being stupid.

If I promise to carry my vaccine card on a lanyard around my neck, do you and Lobo promise not to send me to your work camps?

Seems the Russian vaccine may not be all that.

An antigen test followed by a PCR test confirmed his Covid-19 diagnosis this weekend, according to Fernández's medical team. The 62-year-old leader's health remains "stable, asymptomatic, with parameters within normal ranges," they said.
Argentina became the first Latin American country to distribute the Sputnik V vaccine in late December, with the purchase of up to 25 million doses. Fernández received his first dose of that vaccine on January 21, and his second in February, a press officer at the Presidential Casa Rosada said

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/04/americas/argentina-alberto-fernndez-covid-19-sputnik-vaccine-intl-latam/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2021-04-05T01%3A08%3A06&utm_source=twCNNi

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

So a family member got her first vaccination shot on Friday afternoon, and by Friday night wanted to have a family get-together on Saturday since she's "vaccinated."

In case you couldn't tell, she's a big-time Trump supporter.