Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
idahorn

Shoulder pads- another semi-perfect off-season post

Watching all the older games on LHN, I've noticed the evolution of shoulder pad sizes.  Tony Brackens had pads that looked like he had a body pillow wrapped around his neck.  In the Academy Bowl a couple years ago a Missouri DT looked like his shoulder pads were a pair of wet washrags.  Is there any explanation for this deflation?

There are a couple of things I've noticed watching those games, and that's one of them.  The other is the hitting.  Texas v. Arky from 1984 looked brutal.  

I don't know if it was Brackens but one of our lineman was swallowed up by his shoulderpads and helmet.  

42 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

There are a couple of things I've noticed watching those games, and that's one of them.  The other is the hitting.  Texas v. Arky from 1984 looked brutal.  

I don't know if it was Brackens but one of our lineman was swallowed up by his shoulderpads and helmet.  

He hadn't quite turned 10 yet so I doubt it was him

31 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He hadn't quite turned 10 yet so I doubt it was him

No, the maybeBrackens, maybenotBrackens was 1999 Texas OU.  

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

No, the maybeBrackens, maybenotBrackens was 1999 Texas OU.  

Did a tech punter helicopter into John Macovic and give him a concussion?

Only way to be sure.

0qrfdf.gif.5c6b0e2c62058e9b027e7027c2691223.gif

Edited by BurntEyes

27 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Only way to be sure.

No he hit Mackovic himself against  Colorado 

54 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

No he hit Mackovic himself against  Colorado 

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

I think a lot of the D-line guys have started wearing receiver pads so that they can move faster.

Only way to be sure.
Thats a 85 yard penalty today.

I think a lot of the D-line guys have started wearing receiver pads so that they can move faster.
They're inVINCEable

20 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I've noticed the same, even in the 2006 champ game.  There are several hits from both sides that would be penalties if not ejections today.

10 minutes ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

Advances in technology and construction allow pads to be smaller and lighter while providing the same or more protection

You work in Marketing, right? Like Pharma, for every $5 on R&D, $95 is spent on marketing in sports and athletic gear?

Awesome pic of Ricky, but looking at it in 2020 the shoulder pads do look ridiculously large.

I think they look perfect. Man Ricky was a freak. That was a fun season, specially aggie and cotton bowl games.

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

397190.jpg

Sweet. Nice to see some actual burnt orange.

13 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I think they look perfect. Man Ricky was a freak. That was a fun season, specially aggie and cotton bowl games.

OU game wasn't shabby either.

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2020 at 9:07 PM, Goodman said:

I agree, they looked like super heroes back then.  Much like music, we've seen the best we're going to in this lifetime I'm afraid.  

Edited by mulletpelini

Advances in technology and construction allow pads to be smaller and lighter while providing the same or more protection
What technology are you referring too? Plastic? Plastic technology hasn't changed, what the players want to wear has. If a DE wanted to wear a receivers pads back in the 90s he could have.

Have to imagine the smaller DL pads help a lot with arm/shoulder mobility along with giving OL much less edges and surface to grab.

What technology are you referring too? Plastic? Plastic technology hasn't changed, what the players want to wear has. If a DE wanted to wear a receivers pads back in the 90s he could have.
this.

bitd, teams felt like more pads meant more ability to hit harder with less concern for injury. the game was slower and more focused on power and head to head matchups... QBs wore big pads often, too.

Then offenses changed and speed became the name of the game.... and the rules for hitting changed.

i hated having big shoulder pads, thigh pads, and knee pads. they weren't necessary, and didn't stop any shots to the ribs or head, or protect the knee structure, but scrubs get whatever is left.

We have added 0.01 mm carbon fiber technology to our line of pads which has increased the cost by 200%. Come on down to Nivek’s super duper tough plastics emporium and get ahead of the competition.

On 5/20/2020 at 7:07 PM, Goodman said:

Nebraska and OU games were awesome that year too!