bmbmd

Nasa's Spaceflight Chief Resigns on Eve of Historic Flight

https://www.space.com/nasa-human-spaceflight-chief-doug-loverro-resigns.html?utm_source=notification

Doug Loverro, NASA's chief of human spaceflight, resigned from his post Monday (May 18) after less than a year on the job, the agency announced today (May 19). 

Loverro's resignation as Associate Administrator for NASA's Human Exploration and Operations (HEO) Mission Directorate is a stunning development, as the agency counts down to the first orbital crew launch from U.S. soil in nearly a decade, which will take place on May 27. 

What could go wrong?

Yeah... Some shady shit going on. I'm trying to get details, but initially it looks like something related to the recent lunar lander contact awards.

Boeing was left out, and Boeing doesn't like being left out.

It smells like a political hit job, but again... Too early to say for sure.

Stand by.

I'm sure everything Boeing has to do with this is completely on the up and up. Impeccable track record of late.

He probably thought it was a bad idea for the lander software to take over and crash itself into the moon

17 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

He probably thought it was a bad idea for the lander software to take over and crash itself into the moon

"Elaine, we're gonna have to blow the computer."

"You mean...Blow Roc?"  

Lot of good "inside baseball" in this Ars Technica article.

But the thing that stands out the most is how little is really known yet - kudos to them for admitting that. 

I'm still standing by for any real details, although ... I'm wondering if this turns out to be the most boring and bureaucratic reason ever, as opposed to somebody caught him with an underaged intern.

20 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Yeah... Some shady shit going on. I'm trying to get details, but initially it looks like something related to the recent lunar lander contact awards.

Stand by.

That little mishap back in December....

“The mission didn’t go as planned because we made a mistake,” said Jim Chilton, senior vice president for space and launch at Boeing Defense and Space. The timer issue, he said, caused the spacecraft to think it was in a different phase of the mission immediately after separation from its Atlas 5 launch vehicle.

Didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence, especially since Boeing potentially took a $400 million hit.  That probably ate into some Boeing exec's bonuses.

20 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Stand by.

tenor.gif?itemid=5649586

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Hell, the last time it threw its hands up in the air (space) and gave up. I’d give it credit for having some initiative. 

The de­ci­sion, ac­cord­ing to the per­son fa­mil­iar with the de­tails, was prompted by an in­ter­nal agency in­quiry into Mr. Lover­ro’s al­leged in­volve­ment in shar­ing data among cer­tain com­pa­nies vy­ing for lu­nar-lan­der con­tracts as part of the moon pro­gram, known as Artemis.

Three weeks ago, NASA awarded lu­nar-lan­der con­tracts to­tal­ing nearly $1 bil­lion to three sep­a­rate teams led by Elon Musk’s Space Ex­plo­ration Tech­nolo­gies Corp., the Dy­net­ics unit of long­time agency con­trac­tor Lei­dos Hold­ings Inc. and Blue Ori­gin LLC, founded and run by Ama­zon.­com Inc. chair­man, Jeff Be­zos.

Mr. Loverro, ac­cord­ing to the per­son fa­mil­iar with the de­tails of his de­par­ture, was un­der scru­tiny for al­legedly shar­ing cer­tain com­pany data with one or more of the bid­ding teams, which ini­tially in­cluded Boe­ing Co., one of NASA’s most prom­inent con­trac­tors since the dawn of the Space Age. Boe­ing was elim­i­nated from the com­pe­ti-tion be­fore specifics of the three awards were de­cided. A Boe­ing spokesman de­clined to com­ment.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/senior-nasa-official-resigns-amid-probe-into-suspect-contracting-actions-11590012946?mod=mhp

There's a lot of frustration and shoulder-shrugging going on in my circle of contacts with the lack of information.  It's a fairly consistent thought, though, that Loverro made a pretty heavy-handed decision in the procurement process, perhaps even sharing some proprietary or at least advantageous information that maybe shouldn't have been shared with Boeing's competitors that allowed them to structure their responses to the Lunar Lander proposal.  And, when Boeing wasn't selected, they weren't happy about that at all.

So - that is looking more likely with each passing day of "no other news".  If it were something really juicy or really obnoxious, it would probably have leaked by now.

So - "boring" reason is leading the pack.

More if I hear anything. :/

So how does it work, Boeing calls important people in DC, important people in DC call for this guy’s head on a platter?

28 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So how does it work, Boeing calls important people in DC, important people in DC call for this guy’s head on a platter?

spacer.png

4 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

There's a lot of frustration and shoulder-shrugging going on in my circle of contacts with the lack of information.  It's a fairly consistent thought, though, that Loverro made a pretty heavy-handed decision in the procurement process, perhaps even sharing some proprietary or at least advantageous information that maybe shouldn't have been shared with Boeing's competitors that allowed them to structure their responses to the Lunar Lander proposal.  And, when Boeing wasn't selected, they weren't happy about that at all.

So - that is looking more likely with each passing day of "no other news".  If it were something really juicy or really obnoxious, it would probably have leaked by now.

So - "boring" reason is leading the pack.

More if I hear anything. :/

So is he fired for leaking to some bidders, or because Boeing didn’t like that he leaked to bidders that weren’t Boeing?

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So is he fired for leaking to some bidders, or because Boeing didn’t like that he leaked to bidders that weren’t Boeing?

Don't know for sure ... but the stink of it is the latter.

5 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Don't know for sure ... but the stink of it is the latter.

Is this the same guy you thought was an odd fit when he got the job? Seems like there was a major hire a while back that you questioned.