Bash Riprock

I'll Be Gone In The Dark - Golden State Killer Doc HBO

I’ll Be Gone in the Dark is a new six-part documentary series based on the book of the same name, which explores writer Michelle McNamara’s investigation into the dark world of a violent predator she dubbed the Golden State Killer. Directed by Academy Award nominee and Emmy-winning director Liz Garbus

Anyone catch this tonight? I thought the first episode was good but not great. 

Wasn't there already a doc on this or was that just an episode of 20/20 or 48 hours or something? I swear I watched something that told the whole story with Patton Oswalt being interviewed on what his wife was doing during the investigation. 

I caught it and was interested. It's an enthralling story. Probably more Monday night fare for HBO than of Sunday lead-in.

I'm sorry Ms. McNamara passed away, but there are many investigative true crime reporters that have actually finished a book, solved crimes, and have never received their big break. They just made the mistake of not being married to Patton Oswalt. HBO makes good docs and I'm happy there's something new to watch, but they can do better. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm sorry Ms. McNamara passed away, but there are many investigative true crime reporters that have actually finished a book, solved crimes, and have never received their big break. They just made the mistake of not being married to Patton Oswalt. HBO makes good docs and I'm happy there's something new to watch, but they can do better. 

pretty much sums up my opinion of the book, also. obviously it wasn't finished, but a large part of what was finished thoroughly described various California neighborhoods/architecture/layouts where the crimes occurred, at the times the crimes occurred. a little of that was good for context, but a ton of it was in the book.

13 minutes ago, strangulation! said:

pretty much sums up my opinion of the book, also. obviously it wasn't finished, but a large part of what was finished thoroughly described various California neighborhoods/architecture/layouts where the crimes occurred, at the times the crimes occurred. a little of that was good for context, but a ton of it was in the book.

I listened to the pod about McNamara writing the book. They glossed over how she got her book deal, and of course how involved Oswalt and his people were during the process. I think she was blogger, but not an author. There's a big difference. She missed every single deadline her editor gave her and the book was only 2/3rds of the way done in 3 years. Per Oswalt's own admission, her notes were all over the place and very disorganized. They doesn't scream New York Times Best Selling Author to me, but she was connected and has the right development people. 

Kind of surprised Netflix didn't buy the doc. You'd think they want to keep Oswalt happy or they might not care. His last special wasn't very good. 

I’m a huge true crime fan, and would love a good, insightful GSK documentary. But I didn’t find the Michelle background that compelling, including her relationship with Patton. A tidbit like bonding over The Creature From the Black Lagoon isn’t a piece of info I need, but rather how a project like this swells to six episodes. I’m good with human interest, just as long as it’s interesting.

9 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m a huge true crime fan, and would love a good, insightful GSK documentary. But I didn’t find the Michelle background that compelling, including her relationship with Patton. A tidbit like bonding over The Creature From the Black Lagoon isn’t a piece of info I need, but rather how a project like this swells to six episodes. I’m good with human interest, just as long as it’s interesting.

I hope it becomes more focused in the coming episodes. There’s still time to save it. There’s plenty of source material to go into now that they’ve caught GSK. A bio on GSK would be infinitely more interesting that the Patton-Michelle love story. 

10 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I listen to several true crime podcasts and probably my favorite one, Casefile, did a four part series on this case a few years ago. It was teriffic, if not a bit graphic. I highly recommend it. 

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I listen to several true crime podcasts and probably my favorite one, Casefile, did a four part series on this case a few years ago. It was teriffic, if not a bit graphic. I highly recommend it. 

The casefile one was great. Every victim described his incredibly tiny dick and his terrible smell. 

I love True Crime stuff, so I'll keep watching.  It think it's amazing this guy got away with this shit for 40 years.  I guess being a cop helped in that regard.

They mentioned his "excessively" small donger in the 1st episode too.  Got a chuckle outta that.

51 minutes ago, Juicy said:

The casefile one was great. Every victim described his incredibly tiny dick and his terrible smell. 

The guy was awful, but I found it fascinating that he'd make snacks/prepare meals while in victims' homes. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The guy was awful, but I found it fascinating that he'd make snacks/prepare meals while in victims' homes. 

is he the one that would balance the plates on the bed? to make sure they didnt move? My wife is BIG into casefiles so we have heard them all. We are going to let this one play out so we can binge, seems easier.

Edited by Juicy

The Aussie who narrates casefile is fantastic. That’s all I’ve got. The discussion here is not really making me eager to watch this doc. Maybe I should check out the casefile episodes first. 

not to completely derail the thread but the  Belanglo State Forest casefiles is also a solid multipart cast. Not as intense as the Bay area Rapist (GSK) one but its good. 

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

is he the one that would balance the plates on the bed? to make sure they didnt move? My wife is BIG into casefiles so we have heard them all. We are going to let this one play out so we can binge, seems easier.

Yeah, this is the asshole who would tie up the husband, lay him on his stomach, place a stack of plates  on his back and promise to kill the wife if he heard the plates fall.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The Aussie who narrates casefile is fantastic. That’s all I’ve got. The discussion here is not really making me eager to watch this doc. Maybe I should check out the casefile episodes first. 

Yeah, I love that guy. I've been resisting for quite a while to buy this t-shirt, I might have to pull the trigger soon, LOL.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Casefile-True-Crime-1999-Light-by-casefile2016/41235832.FB110.XYZ

On 6/30/2020 at 10:48 AM, Sandman said:

i've only listened to the first episode, but so far i've learned more about this assface than i did reading an entire book. thanks for the rec.

I still think Patton Oswalt has the bodies of young boys buried somewhere. Creepy little fucker. 

On 6/30/2020 at 2:16 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Even more fascinating if the snacks were Steel Shank level. 

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck you he's hilarious.

Doesn't mean he's not creepy as fuck.