EPL 2020-21

Firemans4Horn

from 20/21 ifab law 12

+++

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

It is an offence if a player: 

deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball

scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:

scores in the opponents’ goal

creates a goal-scoring opportunity

touches the ball with their hand/arm when:

the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger

the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm

The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

+++

a year ago the "silhouette clause" was put in to the rules, but the FA did not specifically order their refs nor the var apparatus to enforce the new interpretation which was adopted by the prem a year later for this season.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/how-does-the-new-handball-rule-work-football-rules-explained/baj7pi2kk191qyeu9ay8wlrn

Formerly, rules around handball were based on the offence being deliberate. This is still the case, though now there are more specific examples of what should and should not be penalised.

The IFAB have now confirmed that a handball will be awarded if a player makes his body an "unnatural silhouette", i.e. making his body bigger with his arm. It is also automatically an offence if the arm is above shoulder height.

5 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Pool and Man City are going to be the top 2.   The race for the next 2 spots is looking like a dogfight, should be glorious.  Also fuck MANU

I think Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester, a Bale-armed Spurs will have a good battle but Everton, Wolves could definitely push them as well. The other team I’m taking notice of is Leeds. They are going to be a giant pain in the ass to play the way they score. 

united’s defense looks awful. 

chelsea’s aways are actually worse than everton’s. Christ. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Crystal Palace defender Joel Ward: "It is confusing. When you look at the motion and the momentum [of players], it's very hard to play with your arms behind your back. It is what it is. There will be conversations, I'm sure."

Everton captain Seamus Coleman: "Being a defender in this day and age is hard enough with wingers, but then to be thinking about your hand in the box is tough."

Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti: "I am not the right person to judge the decision of the referee. It is not only one referee that decides and we have to adapt to the new rules on the handball. It is difficult, but we cannot do anything."

Martin Keown, former Arsenal defender on Final Score: "Defenders are going to have to start playing with straitjackets on. What is Joel Ward to do there? This is not within the spirit of the game. It is not in the spirit of the game I joined as a young boy.

"There is absolutely no way [Ward] is trying to handball that and he can't get out the way of it. It is ball to arm, it is not arm to ball. It hits him.

"I'm not sure I would want to be a defender anymore, with this current law."

Matthew Upson, former England and West Ham defender on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I cannot believe what I'm seeing with these decisions. Something has to be done. It's ludicrous. How can you react to get your arm out of the way of that?

"I'm a bit lost. It also took a minute or two for VAR to flag up the issue. The game has gone on and you don't know what you are looking at.

• Like 1

Crystal Palace defender Joel Ward: "It is confusing. When you look at the motion and the momentum [of players], it's very hard to play with your arms behind your back. It is what it is. There will be conversations, I'm sure."

Everton captain Seamus Coleman: "Being a defender in this day and age is hard enough with wingers, but then to be thinking about your hand in the box is tough."

Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti: "I am not the right person to judge the decision of the referee. It is not only one referee that decides and we have to adapt to the new rules on the handball. It is difficult, but we cannot do anything."

Martin Keown, former Arsenal defender on Final Score: "Defenders are going to have to start playing with straitjackets on. What is Joel Ward to do there? This is not within the spirit of the game. It is not in the spirit of the game I joined as a young boy.

"There is absolutely no way [Ward] is trying to handball that and he can't get out the way of it. It is ball to arm, it is not arm to ball. It hits him.

"I'm not sure I would want to be a defender anymore, with this current law."

Matthew Upson, former England and West Ham defender on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I cannot believe what I'm seeing with these decisions. Something has to be done. It's ludicrous. How can you react to get your arm out of the way of that?

"I'm a bit lost. It also took a minute or two for VAR to flag up the issue. The game has gone on and you don't know what you are looking at.

100% agree