Fucking fires everywhere.

Gil Bang

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Denver is moving to 25% capacity today for dining in.  Restaurants will still be open for takeout no matter what, but there's certainly no guarantee they'll be open for dining in 2 weeks.  We had over 2200 cases as a state yesterday.  And we're not a big state, population-wise.

I wouldn't want to go to the Broadmoor and then eat every meal in my room, but maybe that's just me.

It's been a rough 2020, goes without saying. Colorado did so well - and then opened up. And having to tighten up again. Kids were looking forward to school. I guess 2021, now, for in-school learning. These are hard times for a lot of people. And then the Lakers/Dodgers/Chiefs kick ass and college football sucks ass. Skiing is in doubt. Tourism shaky forecast.

This is disturbing - the big Colorado fires are believed to be started by humans? 

Thank goodness Colorado got that snowstorm - even though those winter storms are a bitch. A lot less to burn if we can start building snowpack.

And for the Southern Californians, looks like the dry desert winds relented and we have an onshore floor. That's relief.

Thanks to all the firefighters out there. Stay safe.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

Should have posted a few days ago, about the story of two who died in that East Troublesome Fire in Colorado...

GRAND COUNTY, Colo — A couple who chose to remain in their home outside Grand Lake as the East Troublesome Fire exploded Wednesday night has died, Grand County Sheriff Brett Schroetlin confirmed Friday. 

Lyle and Marilyn Hileman were 86 and 84 years old. 

"They have never not been together. They’ve been together since they were teenagers. The idea of one of them leaving the other behind always terrified them," said their son, Glenn Hileman. "They went together and they were on the property that they worked so hard to create and love."

They married when they were teenagers and honeymooned in Grand Lake in the 1950s where they fell in love with the area. For years they had worked to build their dream home in their favorite part of Colorado. Lyle was a firefighter with the Denver Fire Department for more than two decades.  

Glenn Hileman tried to talk his parents into evacuating, but they wanted to stay together with their home. They tried riding out the wildfire in their concrete basement.

"They saw fireballs literally flying across the sky. She said horizontally the fireballs were flying across the meadow. She said the grass was on fire," said Glenn Hileman. "It was Wednesday evening at 9:30. My mom called me. She was very calm and very reassuring. She said, it happened. I asked her what happened and then she said the fire that for years they had worried about with all the beetle kill up there had finally arrived."

That was the last Glenn Hileman heard from them. They knew the worst had happened, but couldn’t know for sure until deputies were able to make their way to the burned home days later.

"Their entire life’s memories were created on this property and they felt safe there," said Glenn Hileman. 

Between late Wednesday and Thursday morning, the fire went from about 24,000 acres to about 125,000 acres. 

Deputies found their bodies inside their home, which was destroyed in the fire, Friday.

https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/news/local/wildfire/couple-killed-east-troublesome-fire/73-2e4c7c18-2019-496e-8e03-e0be1c503c03

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Santa Ana winds peaking today in Southern California. Santa Ana winds = fire in California:

Yep.  OC is taking it in the ass today.  Another fire in the Chino/Corona area.   We had a small one in San Marcos, and they didn't fuck around. They got it contained at 3 acres.  Wind is blowing like a mofo at my place.  The power has been cut to several communities so the lines don't blow down and start  another fire. 

There was a voluntary evacuation areas just north and south of us. I got the suitcases out again just in case we had to pack and run.

I live less than 1/4 mile from a fire station, and the OC Fire Authority training center is 1/4 the other way. Hopefully I'll never have to find out what it's like to lose a house.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

There was a voluntary evacuation areas just north and south of us. I got the suitcases out again just in case we had to pack and run.

I live less than 1/4 mile from a fire station, and the OC Fire Authority training center is 1/4 the other way. Hopefully I'll never have to find out what it's like to lose a house.

(dad)Ready bag in case you need to leave quickly. (/dad). Stay safe. With the new restrictions, we don't need fires on top of Covid.

• 8 months later...

Caldor Fire in the Tahoe area has been laying waste to some of my favorite areas for hiking and camping, and is now threatening the Tahoe Basin it self. 

Most all of South Lake Tahoe and the West Shore are under a mandatory evacuation. There's been no stopping this beast. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems inevitable it's going to make it to these areas. Horrible. 

Tahoe Evacuation map

rawImage.png

Spoiler

2021_08_30-09.24.07.929-CDT.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Caldor Fire in the Tahoe area has been laying waste to some of my favorite areas for hiking and camping, and is now threatening the Tahoe Basin it self. 

Most all of South Lake Tahoe and the West Shore are under a mandatory evacuation. There's been no stopping this beast. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems inevitable it's going to make it to these areas. Horrible. 

Tahoe Evacuation map

rawImage.png

Hide contents

I don't think there is one home from South Lake Tahoe thru the West Shore that has a defensible perimeter.  

26 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

I don't think there is one home from South Lake Tahoe thru the West Shore that has a defensible perimeter.  

No, and that whole West Shore area backs up into, and in some cases is surrounded by, forest land. You can't just chop down those trees regardless. 

2 hours ago, Txzen said:

Tahoe Evacuation map

rawImage.png

Reveal hidden contents

Some webcams of the area 

https://tahoesouth.com/things-to-do/lake-tahoe-webcams/

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Its been a weird year for us in Colorado, in a good way.  Very wet here, no major fires.  Everywhere else in the west is ablaze, but we've been very green throughout the summer.  I'll take it.

Fire just started in Grand County a day or two ago.  We're not out of fire season yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...