Fucking fires everywhere.

Gil Bang

• 3 weeks later...
The fire located near Grand Lake, Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park (https://coloradosun.com/2020/10/21/east-troublesome-fire-explodes-colorado/) - as seen from Denver:

image.png.b2511d50663dfe66ee47a2c9a30fc067.png

This one is really fast moving. Grand Lake has been evacuated and they are setting up to try and save the town tonight. Fire has moved many miles today and will likely head into the park shortly.

This one is really fast moving. Grand Lake has been evacuated and they are setting up to try and save the town tonight. Fire has moved many miles today and will likely head into the park shortly.  
We just spent some time up there and the Grand Lake area was one of our favorite spots. Really sad to see this happening there. This whole area was dealing with a different fire at that point, mostly smoke, that was supposed to have subsided by this point (not sure if it has or not).

Feel awful for all of the good people we met up there going through this now. Can't imagine having to urgently evacuate homes/businesses and not knowing how you'll come back to find them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

We just spent some time up there and the Grand Lake area was one of our favorite spots. Really sad to see this happening there. This whole area was dealing with a different fire at that point, mostly smoke, that was supposed to have subsided by this point (not sure if it has or not).

Feel awful for all of the good people we met up there going through this now. Can't imagine having to urgently evacuate homes/businesses and not knowing how you'll come back to find them.

Lots of houses up there burned.  Haven't heard for sure yet if the main street part of town survived.  Fire is supposedly not only already into the park, but might have already jumped the Divide.

• Hook 'Em 1

We're about 60 miles away from that Troublesome fire to the south, but some neighbors family has a cabin up there at Grand Lake that has been passed down for 4 generations that is now gone.  Was growing at over 6000 acres an hour yesterday.  Pics on Facebook are insane.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I was camping near Grand Lake about six years ago, and it looked like 1/2 of the pine trees were dead from pine borers.  It looked like a tinderbox waiting for a spark.  I guess it was.  Maybe this will knock down the pine borers some.

Pine beetles have been gone for several years, but the dead trees remain.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Officials are now warning that the Troublesome and Cameron Peak fires could merge soon depending on wind push.  Some details to put that into perspective:

• The Cameron Peak fire is the largest in state history at 203,000+ acres burned
  • The Troublesome Fire is currently the 4th largest in state history at 125,000+ acres burned
  • The troublesome fire grew over 100,000 acres in less than 24 hours yesterday

Luckily, we are expecting up to 20" of snow on Sunday/Monday.  Hope it helps the firefighters get a handle on this.

21 minutes ago, Goredho said:

We're about 60 miles away from that Troublesome fire to the south, but some neighbors family has a cabin up there at Grand Lake that has been passed down for 4 generations that is now gone.  Was growing at over 6000 acres an hour yesterday.  Pics on Facebook are insane.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was working NW of Denver. It looked like a thunderhead was rising out of the mountains. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4140700042624892&id=521157024579230

picture out of Estes park this afternoon 2:23 pm local time

122468612_4140697885958441_3712781244056

So you're saying my brother and his family won't be staying at their hotel in Estes Park tonight and instead will be staying at my house?

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If he hasn’t called you yet, maybe you should tell him to call his hotel. 

He wasn't due to check in until this afternoon. I told him whats going on. Shitty times.

I do wonder how bad all this is going to be on the wildlife. Between the Cameron Peak Fire and the East Troublesome Fire, that's a lot of prime elk, moose, mule deer, fox, and black bear habitat up in smoke.

Here in OC, another fire just started this morning. Santa Ana winds doing what Santa Ana wins do, ie make life miserable for firefighters.

We are on the edge of the mandatory evacuation area so we’re chilling until it’s time to hold onto our butts. Jewelry, photo albums, documents, some clothes and electronics, and my 83 Tele are packed and ready to go in case we need to run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Here in OC, another fire just started this morning. Santa Ana winds doing what Santa Ana wins do, ie make life miserable for firefighters.

We are on the edge of the mandatory evacuation area so we’re chilling until it’s time to hold onto our butts. Jewelry, photo albums, documents, some clothes and electronics, and my 83 Tele are packed and ready to go in case we need to run. 

Yeah, looks like it may blow up quickly

It’s not looking good for our trip to Estes Park, obviously. They have shut it down to visitors for the time being. So, is there somewhere within reasonable driving distance of Denver that would be a good alternative for the first week of November? Mostly looking to do some hiking and scenic drives without too much smoke affecting us...would Breckenridge be a good spot? Or somewhere near Colorado Springs?

It’s not looking good for our trip to Estes Park, obviously. They have shut it down to visitors for the time being. So, is there somewhere within reasonable driving distance of Denver that would be a good alternative for the first week of November? Mostly looking to do some hiking and scenic drives without too much smoke affecting us...would Breckenridge be a good spot? Or somewhere near Colorado Springs?
Fires aside, that time of year is always a crapshoot with weather.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gurt said:

The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs is your best bet for weather this time of the year. Colorado Springs, among many other things, is a warmer and bigger Estes Park.

image.png.914f40f7636b8ad29094b9df3da2e711.png

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs is your best bet for weather this time of the year. Colorado Springs, among many other things, is a warmer and bigger Estes Park.

image.png.914f40f7636b8ad29094b9df3da2e711.png

Broadmoor is fantastic.  Highly recommend it.  That said, we may not have any restaurants open in the state in a couple weeks.  Not sure I'd want to come right now.  Our Rona cases are exploding.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Chief Ouray said:

Colorado is a big state and making statements that no restaurants are going to be open in a couple weeks is just irresponsible.

Denver is moving to 25% capacity today for dining in.  Restaurants will still be open for takeout no matter what, but there's certainly no guarantee they'll be open for dining in 2 weeks.  We had over 2200 cases as a state yesterday.  And we're not a big state, population-wise.

I wouldn't want to go to the Broadmoor and then eat every meal in my room, but maybe that's just me.