Sign in to follow this  
oSuJeff97

Tom Petty - Wildflowers & All the Rest

Is anyone else super pumped about this? Wildlfowers has been my "most wanted" vinyl record since I got back into vinyl ~3 years ago, but the long-out-of-print original pressing has always been stupid expensive in the secondary market.

So I was plenty pumped when they finally announced the re-issue, but now I'm even more pumped that it's being re-issued with 10 additional songs from the Wildflowers sessions that were left off the original album.  I actually had no idea that it was originally conceived as a double album (hence the 10 additional tracks), even though Wildflowers has always been my favorite Tom Petty record.

There's a great Rolling Stone article about how it finally came together after some legal wrangling with the Tom Petty estate.  It's also kind of a bummer to find out he was planning a tour where they would play all of the Wildflower songs, including the 10 additional tracks, with a bunch of guests participating like Eddie Veder, Stevie Nicks and Steve Winwood. Man, that would have been awesome.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/tom-petty-wildflowers-reissue-1057237/

Looking forward to checking it out if these tracks get streamed.  I love Wildflowers, but don't really do vinyl.  I'd like to, but I just don't have that much time to sit at home and listen to music.

They are also being released on CD and if you pre-order from the Tom Petty site, you get instant digital downloads of 4 songs, so I can only assume they will also be released on the streaming services.

yeah i've already pre-ordered. i got wildflowers on vinyl with the box set that came out a few years ago, but excited about all the unreleased stuff. the you don't know how it feels demo is really interesting, with some lyrics from crawling back to you thrown in there.

If you read the Rolling Stone article, one of the things they talk about is that they really wanted to sequence the album with the 10 additional songs the way that Tom Petty had sequenced them when he originally submitted it to the label as a double album... but unfortunately they weren't able to ever locate his notes or any copy of the original double album.

That would have been super cool, but I'll still take the 10 new songs tacked on to the end.

45 minutes ago, stc said:

yeah i've already pre-ordered. i got wildflowers on vinyl with the box set that came out a few years ago, but excited about all the unreleased stuff. the you don't know how it feels demo is really interesting, with some lyrics from crawling back to you thrown in there.

Did you get the 9-LP "Ultra Deluxe" edition that's like $500? :D