2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If Harden gets traded, we better get something in return just as valuable. Don't Bill O Brien this trade just because your player wants out

Lulz. Never gonna happen. Harden is one of the top offensive players in the history of basketball. There are like 5 players on his level currently in the NBA, and none of those guys are getting traded for Harden.

16 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s hard to take Drew seriously when it comes to his Dallas sports takes. He is blinded by his extreme homerism 

If you said Dirk or the Cowboys maybe.  I wasn't even being a homer.  It wasn't a pro Dallas take or shitting on Harden take. That dude took some unearned offense to something that I wasn't even saying about Harden.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2020/12/17/kawhi-leonard-recruitment-jerry-west-clippers-investigation-nba/3951324001/

The NBA has opened an investigation into Los Angeles Clippers executive Jerry West’s role in Kawhi Leonard's signing with the team as a free agent in 2019 following a lawsuit filed against West on Monday, a person familiar with the details told USA TODAY Sports. The person requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about an ongoing league investigation.

Johnny Wilkes claims he informed Dennis Robertson, Leonard’s uncle, that Robertson would receive a house in Southern California, a travel expense account, and Clippers owner Steve Ballmer would fund a $100 million marketing campaign for Leonard. Wilkes in the lawsuit claims he gave West critical information to use in the Clippers’ pitch to Leonard during a free agency meeting.

Wilkes also alleges that after Leonard signed with the Clippers he met with West at a Beverly Hills restaurant and West "reconfirmed that he and the CLIPPERS would take care of him and honor their agreement. Jerry then instructed Plaintiff to type his request for payment and email it to his good friend Jim Gray. While at the meeting Jim Gray sent Plaintiff his email address. Plaintiff formalized his request in writing and emailed it to Jim Gray shortly thereafter," according to the lawsuit.

21 hours ago, Drew said:

Says the guy who CLEARLY took offense to me saying that Dirk was being mistyped as a "Not really intense" NBA player.  Maybe I should have said "This has NOTHING to do with Harden".

Jesus Christ grow up.

What on earth are you talking about? You're just making shit up that no one ever said. The original bar that Brad set was: "that neurotic type driven by a singular vision for rings and legacy."

Dirk doesn't strike me as that type of player. If that's some huge slight against him in your eyes then I'm sorry that you interpreted it that way. Dirk is in my top 25 all time. It's not my fault that he didn't win as much as most of the guys ahead of him.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They were a playoff team without Durant and Irving. I think they are the best team in the east if those two dudes are healthy. 

Levert would be the 2nd option on like half the teams in the league. He's their 6th man right now.

KD and Kyrie a smooth +29 and +28 tonight respectively against Boston's A team. New sherrifs in town. 

Edited by ztejas

I'm not going to crown them yet. NOLA went 5-0 last preseason. But if they are as good as y'all are saying (I'm watching the football game), it'll be awesome to have the city of New York relevant in the NBA again. It's kinda like Notre Dame. I don't really like em but it's more fun when they're good.

The East could actually be fun and worth watching this year.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm not going to crown them yet. NOLA went 5-0 last preseason. But if they are as good as y'all are saying (I'm watching the football game), it'll be awesome to have the city of New York relevant in the NBA again. It's kinda like Notre Dame. I don't really like em but it's more fun when they're good.

The East could actually be fun and worth watching this year.

It's not really about the results it's more just seeing all of their pieces on the court together and Durant looking at least 95% of what he was pre-injury. He and Kyrie seem to have a nice rhythm already with sharing possessions.

Talk about a lucky first gig for Nash.

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Well, we'll see how lucky he is in 30 games or so when Kyrie decides that the Nets' mascot gave him a disrespectful look.

Yeah I'd think like 80% of his job is just getting Kyrie to not do stupid shit and just play basketball. KD has to be close to past the point of coaching. 

14 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They were a playoff team without Durant and Irving. I think they are the best team in the east if those two dudes are healthy. 

They do NOT need Harden.  They should run with this team right now.  Yes, health could still be a factor as time passes, but I like my chances right now (if I'm the ownership) with this overall depth and talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UTDD said:

They do NOT need Harden.  They should run with this team right now.  Yes, health could still be a factor as time passes, but I like my chances right now (if I'm the ownership) with this overall depth and talent.

They don't need him. Part of me wonders, though. KD is pretty much the perfect piece to simply pile talent on top of. He doesn't get enough credit for how flawlessly the Ws didn't skip a beat and only got immediately better when they added him (Curry deserves credit here, too). That 2017 team was a fucking hammer. 

Ultimately I don't think it's worth the risk. What would they give up to get Harden? Any deal that includes LeVert or both he and Allen seems like a bad idea. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

They don't need him. Part of me wonders, though. KD is pretty much the perfect piece to simply pile talent on top of. He doesn't get enough credit for how flawlessly the Ws didn't skip a beat and only got immediately better when they added him (Curry deserves credit here, too). That 2017 team was a fucking hammer. 

Ultimately I don't think it's worth the risk. What would they give up to get Harden? Any deal that includes LeVert or both he and Allen seems like a bad idea. 

I agree with this. Durant can play so many different styles and understands when he needs to take over games a lot better than most stars in his tier. I also think that Brooklyn was smart to not blow up their team for Harden. I kinda understand why some people think the reported package was underwhelming, but I would have been thrilled with Dinwidde, LeVert, Allen, and another rotation piece.

I mean that team made the playoffs last year and were a fun team. Add to that bunch, Cousins, Wood, and Wall. I think it's a quality playoff roster in the West. If Wall and Cousins return to their AS form then the Rockets could have been a legit top 4 seed.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think Houston at minimum would be nuts not insisting on LeVert, Allen, and Dinwiddie plus, and I think I would rather have those three than Harden all things considered.  This is a really good team.  They are deep and their pieces fit well together.  Their only worries to me are mostly health, a little bit Kyrie's head/focus, and perhaps they might have a hard time being a truly elite Top 3-4 defensive team.  But they were 9th in defensive rating last year, and they have some good pieces.  If things break right, I think they can win the East and contend with the Lakers competitively. 

13 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I just don't see Harden making the Nets that much better, TBH, no matter whom they would give up for him. They are going to be elite on offense already. 3 and D wing players are what they need, if anything.

He gives the Nets cover in case Durant, Kyrie, or LeVert miss extended playing time. Harden can singlehandedly carry a team for 1-2 months. You want all 3 of those guys healthy for the playoffs. Harden allows you to rest Durant and Kyrie.

4 hours ago, UTDD said:

100% this.   They are loaded and ready to dominate.   Just need time together.   As long as none of the guys that will stepping back a little bit (mainly Levert) are going to be malcontents there is no reason to move them.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Hahaha what a friggin weirdo.

I actually think Durant and Harden could coexist pretty well. But Harden and Kyrie not so much. It's going to be hard on Kyrie going a whole season as 2nd fiddle. I don't think his brain could handle getting bumped to 3rd.

That's the beauty of Durant, though. He will let Kyrie think that he is the guy. I guess a big question mark is who gets the last shot in crunch time? But Kyrie is a much better shot maker in situations like that than Westbrook ever was. We shall see.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Hahaha what a friggin weirdo.

I actually think Durant and Harden could coexist pretty well. But Harden and Kyrie not so much. It's going to be hard on Kyrie going a whole season as 2nd fiddle. I don't think his brain could handle getting bumped to 3rd.

Especially when New Jersey was Kyrie's plan from the beginning. He got KD on board, but he was going regardless. With Harden, he wouldn't even be the best point guard on the team anymore.

That's the beauty of Durant, though. He will let Kyrie think that he is the guy. I guess a big question mark is who gets the last shot in crunch time? But Kyrie is a much better shot maker in situations like that than Westbrook ever was. We shall see.
I'm not at all worried about Durant feeling the need to be the alpha.

It's the fact that all of the fans and media are going to acknowledge and reinforce that KD is the man. No hiding from it. Kyrie won't be able to convince himself. And that NY media is savage.

11 minutes ago, Kermit said:

There’s no way they’re not trading him in three months.

At that number someone just might be willing to take a chance and see if he an be a star for them.   Even if he blows up they wont have to worry about him asking for max pay for another couple yrs of him proving he's worthy

6 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I'm not at all worried about Durant feeling the need to be the alpha.

It's the fact that all of the fans and media are going to acknowledge and reinforce that KD is the man. No hiding from it. Kyrie won't be able to convince himself. And that NY media is savage.

Durant will defer to Kyrie just like he did Westbrook. Doesnt mean he's not the better player, just that Kyrie will be the dominant personality and try to lead the team.The problem is that Kyrie's a fucking idiot. Good luck with that KD.

• Like 2

Durant will defer to Kyrie just like he did Westbrook. Doesnt mean he's not the better player, just that Kyrie will be the dominant personality and try to lead the team.The problem is that Kyrie's a fucking idiot. Good luck with that KD.
You said it better than I could have. That's it in a nutshell.

KD won't be a problem. But KD's shadow might.

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was just getting ready to post this. I guess the guy averaged 16 ppg on 40% shooting from three on a bad team, but that seems like a pretty horrible contract. Does Jerry West still work for the Clippers?

Only thing that makes sense is that they actually know what Kawhi is going to do.     I guess they would have a halfway decent team if he left but they wont be able to add anything if he does.