Formula 1 2021

wood

11 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Horner continues to stir the shit. I can’t make up my mind if I hate him or not. He’s definitely an asshole but makes things interesting. 

I am happy to report that I hate him.  I mean, his drama is fine for the TV show, but in real life he's just a total dick.  I've known folks like that in my life and purposefully cut them out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyway, it's race week!  Times below are Eastern, I believe.

SESSIONS DATE TIME
Free Practice 1   Fri Mar 26th 06:00 AM
Free Practice 2   Fri Mar 26th 10:00 AM
Free Practice 3   Sat Mar 27th 06:00 AM
Qualifying   Sat Mar 27th 09:00 AM
Race   Sun Mar 28th 09:10 AM
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2021 at 6:15 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Lance Stroll has the personality of a 2x4

I feel bad for the kid. I've only watched the 1st episode but I can't imagine having Lawrence for a dad. Seems like the kid has just been trying to earn his dad's approval his whole life. 

14 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

That Netflix deal has brought a lot of new fans and money to the sport. Everyone in F1 should embrace it. 

It has, sort of. I mean it's brought fans to what they think F1 is after watching the show's misrepresentation of it. I think some of the people opting out of it don't like those misrepresentations & don't want storylines made up about them.

• Haha 1

It has, sort of. I mean it's brought fans to what they think F1 is after watching the show's misrepresentation of it. I think some of the people opting out of it don't like those misrepresentations & don't want storylines made up about them.

How about some detail on these alleged misrepresentations?

On 3/21/2021 at 8:16 AM, utee94 said:

I am happy to report that I hate him.  I mean, his drama is fine for the TV show, but in real life he's just a total dick.  I've known folks like that in my life and purposefully cut them out.  

I can't find a vid that works, but Brundle fucking slayed Horner on the grid walk one time at Singapore. Extreme lulz.

Horner: “It’s a shame you’re too old to have driven here.”

Brundle: “Shame you weren’t fast enough to get to Formula One.” 🔥🔥

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

How about some detail on these alleged misrepresentations?

Not alleged. They're real. There's the minor stuff, like all the silly sound effects, sound replacements during incidents, V8/V10 sounds, fake announcers, sticking quotes into situations where they weren't said, etc. But there are also fully manufactured plot lines that never happened. Off the top of my head ... 

- Contrived 'rivalry' between Alonso and Sainz, even though Alonso has mentored Sainz since he was a kid and they (and Sr.) get along great.

- Leclerc crash at Monza where they made it seem like it took forever for Charles to answer the team: streamable.com/0m1sy5

- Bottas's "To whom it may concern" quote after his victory in Sochi 2020 (Season 3) ... which was taken from Australia 2019.

- Grosjean fire ... making it seem like he was stuck in the burning car forever, with drivers already looking on without their helmets, people yelling for someone to get him out, etc.

- Renault engines ... In the episode about Renault engines sucking, focusing on a Renault failure &  omitting the other RBR winning the same race

- Fake tensions between Lando & Carlos at McLaren, and a fake "Lando is faster than Carlos" situation, passing off Lando's comment about a RP turning in on him a comment referring to Sainz not letting him by:  www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/comments/mapedt/nice_try_netflix_but_you_cant_fool_me/

More will will probably come to me later, but you get the idea ...

They've missed the point that F1 is inherently dramatic - especially the 2020 season. It doesn't need dramatic sound effects and misleading editing. Then they gloss over huge stories like tthe exit of the Williams family, the Ferrari fuel flow issues and Vettel's firing, focusing on Ferrari PR training frictions instead, and they turn the Merc/Pink Merc shenanigans from a major story into a minor spat. Despite being presented in documentary form as a story about real people ... DTS frequently deviates from reality and contrives its own story lines.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I finished it today. Yes, it was a bit dramatized, but it wasn’t as bad as I had read.

DTS is kinda unique because we have the source material readily available and in recent memory, so it’s easy to remember what might be different.

Compare that to something like The Last Dance. I am sure a lot of the editing (and even the recalling of stories by those involved) in it was dramatized as well, but it all happened 20-30 years ago, so it’s hard to point it out as easily.

I do like that you can see a bit of some behind-the-scenes type stuff with the drivers and team ops just being themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I finished it today. Yes, it was a bit dramatized, but it wasn’t as bad as I had read.

DTS is kinda unique because we have the source material readily available and in recent memory, so it’s easy to remember what might be different.

Compare that to something like The Last Dance. I am sure a lot of the editing (and even the recalling of stories by those involved) in it was dramatized as well, but it all happened 20-30 years ago, so it’s hard to point it out as easily.

I do like that you can see a bit of some behind-the-scenes type stuff with the drivers and team ops just being themselves.

Yup I like it for the glimpses into the behind-the-scenes.

I can do without the reality-show drama.

But, this is where we are in 2021.

RE: The added drama to the Grosjean fire.  He was in the fire for 2 minutes and 43 seconds.  My thought is that they made the segment the way they did to match that timeframe so people really understand how long he was in there and how remarkable it was for him to not only survive, but to come out without burns all over his body.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

RE: The added drama to the Grosjean fire.  He was in the fire for 2 minutes and 43 seconds.  My thought is that they made the segment the way they did to match that timeframe so people really understand how long he was in there and how remarkable it was for him to not only survive, but to come out without burns all over his body.

From the initial impact and start of the fire until Romain emerged from the wreckage, it was 28 seconds. The guys in the car + that marshal + Romain himself did an amazing job. That seemed like an eternity & it was amazing he survived even that shorter period at all, and relatively unscathed at that, but it was nothing like how DTS portrayed it. He would not have survived had he been in the fire much longer. Certainly not for 2:43.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, wood said:

From the initial impact and start of the fire until Romain emerged from the wreckage, it was 28 seconds. The guys in the car + that marshal + Romain himself did an amazing job. That seemed like an eternity & it was amazing he survived even that shorter period at all, and relatively unscathed at that, but it was nothing like how DTS portrayed it. He would not have survived had he been in the fire much longer. Certainly not for 2:43.

Yeah that's what I remember. Anyone know where the 2:43 comes from? Is that just how long it took to confirm that he was safe?

19 hours ago, wood said:

From the initial impact and start of the fire until Romain emerged from the wreckage, it was 28 seconds.... Certainly not for 2:43.

Romain Grosjean hasn't smashed his time targets this cleanly since 2013 season.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, wood said:

Then I agree with you.  It's very deceptive of Netflix to describe it as a 2 minute 43 second ordeal.  If it had been that long IMO he doesn't come out with at least Niki Lauda level injuries or he doesn't make it out alive.

ETA: F1 has plenty of drama without Netflix needing to make it up.

Edited by VABuckeye

Re: F1 TV Pro
They need a damn Android TV app so I don't have to jump through hoops to watch on my Shield.

Is this the first time you try F1 Tv Pro?

I’m jumping on the free trial later tonight when I have time to set it up, wondering if it’s worth it etc?

How interesting are the team radio channels etc?

I read that you can have up to 6 devices at once, checking out different radios and race cams at the same time I’m sure is cool. I see myself using no more than 2 maybeeee 3 at a time.

20 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Is this the first time you try F1 Tv Pro?

I had it for the last couple of seasons. Other than it being annoying to watch on my tv (there are workarounds). No native apple or android streaming device app that I am aware of.

I really liked having the timing sectors up on my tablet while the tv had the race/quali going. Being able to pick different onboards was nice, but they were silent other than radio messages if I recall. No engine sounds.

Also, having access to the somewhat limited archives is nice too. Putting on an old race while i cleaned or did other things was nice too.

• Like 2

I had it for the last couple of seasons. Other than it being annoying to watch on my tv (there are workarounds). No native apple or android streaming device app that I am aware of.
I really liked having the timing sectors up on my tablet while the tv had the race/quali going. Being able to pick different onboards was nice, but they were silent other than radio messages if I recall. No engine sounds.
Also, having access to the somewhat limited archives is nice too. Putting on an old race while i cleaned or did other things was nice too.

Thanks!

Pretty sure there’s an apple app for it.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Maybe we will have battles for places other than just the midfield war?

Has Mazepin punched anyone yet?

Just wait til he holds up verstappen in the pits or during quali or something. Will be glorious 

• Hook 'Em 2