Formula 1 2021

wood

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Damn, that sucks.

Yep. 

I think Michael and Budkowski at Alpine might be hatching something tho ...

(that's just me talking based on the Laurent Rossi visit to MA in Indy tho - not any inside info)

Edited by wood

Looking at the title race, it seems like Max winning COTA is a huge blow to Lewis’s title hopes. Max is now up 12 with Mexico coming up where it’s very possible Red Bull lock out the top 2 spots and Ferrari may even be able to challenge Merc. Ferrari still have draggy aero and they thrive in high downforce setups, both of which should mean they have very good performance in Mexico. If Lewis even just gets 3rd, then Max will have a 22 point lead going into Brazil, where he should also be strong.

It’s conceivable Max could have a 28 point lead going into the last three races, which would mean Lewis would need to win all three and have Bottas second at least a couple times. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Looking at the title race, it seems like Max winning COTA is a huge blow to Lewis’s title hopes. Max is now up 12 with Mexico coming up where it’s very possible Red Bull lock out the top 2 spots and Ferrari may even be able to challenge Merc. Ferrari still have draggy aero and they thrive in high downforce setups, both of which should mean they have very good performance in Mexico. If Lewis even just gets 3rd, then Max will have a 22 point lead going into Brazil, where he should also be strong.

It’s conceivable Max could have a 28 point lead going into the last three races, which would mean Lewis would need to win all three and have Bottas second at least a couple times. 

Agree with all this. It may be a tad early to proclaim the king is dead, but there’s a raspy rattle in his intake manifold.

Lewis is supposed to take another engine upgrade at some point (forgot where I read that). Merc should throw all their last upgrades on the car in Mexico, since they don’t do well there normally and aim to mitigate points damage. That might give Lewis a fighting chance the last 4 races.

OR they just have Bottas take out people again.

• Haha 1

Obviously you're kidding about deliberately taking others out, but even just thinking about team orders to help Lewis or let him pass, I have to wonder how motivated Bottas will be to follow them?  

You'd think his new employer might be upset to see a driver ignoring his team, but in this case, I'm not sure they'd mind all that much.  They might even get a kick out of it... 

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

I would think Bottas has incentives built into his contract to help Lewis and the team. Bonuses, etc.

Perhaps, but I assume he also has incentives built into his contract for winning, podiums, points, etc.

If helping Lewis means giving up podium/place/points, it might not be in his best interest.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So help me if this turns out to be a jinx. I haven't watched but three years and in that time I know not to count LH out. Dude is a beast in the car and also seems to be one of the absolute luckiest people I've ever seen in sport.

24 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So help me if this turns out to be a jinx. I haven't watched but three years and in that time I know not to count LH out. Dude is a beast in the car and also seems to be one of the absolute luckiest people I've ever seen in sport.

Lewis is a fantastic driver and there's no doubt in my mind he'll still be very much in the mix going into the last couple races of the season. 

On 10/24/2021 at 3:43 PM, 52-80 said:

So merc lost out on strategy…again?

they used to be the best at it. 

On 10/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, pops said:

Can't argue with the result. I thought 1st stop was right but the second was way early. Guess that's why I'm not banging a spice girl tonight. 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:51 AM, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think they were ever that great. They just had the fastest cars by a mile so every decision seemed correct. 

On 10/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, BonzoMontreaux said:

Agree on Red Bull out maneuvering Merc on race strategy.  

Y'all had this discussion a couple days ago and I meant to comment-- I think it's so often been two Mercs and only one RBR at the front, that the strategy options have been greater for Merc.  They certainly have had the faster car for the majority of the past several years, but I think their strategy options have been more wide open throughout the races, and especially in the late stages, due to their ability to place two cars into the front two rows so often.

Sunday at COTA, because of Bottas' engine penalty, not only were there not two Mercs at the front, but there WERE two RBRs.  This flipped the variety of options to RBR.  Horner even mentioned that in the pregame.

Having Checo drive at a high level, makes it a lot easier for RBR and Max, to make strategic decisions that seem to work out.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

The WDC and WCC are so finely balanced that, when all is said and done, we will probably look back at a multiple moments that impacted them.  Say Lewis winds up winning by two points.  Well, that's Aston Martin not being able to produce 0.3L of fuel  after Hungary, thus DQ-ing Seb and promoting Lewis from 3rd to 2nd. Three points. Or what if Lewis wins by five. Max' tire exploding in Baku cost him 25 and Lewis 18 (since there's no restart and thus no potential for the "brake magic oopsie")... seven point swing there.  Not to mention "The Full Bottas Maneuver" in Hungary, Silverstone, Monza, or the inevitable future Lewis/Max collision.

Or what if Max wins by less than 25?  Then Lewis' "brake magic oopsie" made the difference. 

I feel we're witnessing one of the epic F1 seasons. Not just the championship battles, but McLaren-Ferrari fighting for 3rd, Checo and Lando separated by a point for 4th, Ferrari teammates 5.5 points apart, Alpine and Alpha Tauri only 10 points apart for 5th. All of which will probably come down to Yaz Marina.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Obviously you're kidding about deliberately taking others out, but even just thinking about team orders to help Lewis or let him pass, I have to wonder how motivated Bottas will be to follow them?  

You'd think his new employer might be upset to see a driver ignoring his team, but in this case, I'm not sure they'd mind all that much.  They might even get a kick out of it... 

Yeah, I think we'd all get a kick out of it.  Though I wonder if Toto could dump him right now if he went rogue and call up Russell.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yeah, I think we'd all get a kick out of it.  Though I wonder if Toto could dump him right now if he went rogue and call up Russell.

that would be a really, really bad look for him and the team and a bad place to put George (aka not a way or place to be successful)

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

The WDC and WCC are so finely balanced that, when all is said and done, we will probably look back at a multiple moments that impacted them.  Say Lewis winds up winning by two points.  Well, that's Aston Martin not being able to produce 0.3L of fuel  after Hungary, thus DQ-ing Seb and promoting Lewis from 3rd to 2nd. Three points. Or what if Lewis wins by five. Max' tire exploding in Baku cost him 25 and Lewis 18 (since there's no restart and thus no potential for the "brake magic oopsie")... seven point swing there.  Not to mention "The Full Bottas Maneuver" in Hungary, Silverstone, Monza, or the inevitable future Lewis/Max collision.

Or what if Max wins by less than 25?  Then Lewis' "brake magic oopsie" made the difference. 

I feel we're witnessing one of the epic F1 seasons. Not just the championship battles, but McLaren-Ferrari fighting for 3rd, Checo and Lando separated by a point for 4th, Ferrari teammates 5.5 points apart, Alpine and Alpha Tauri only 10 points apart for 5th. All of which will probably come down to Yaz Marina.

Personally, I’m hoping the title comes down to 1 point and it’s decided by Charles LeClerc pulling a huge gap on the midfield and then stealing fastest lap from Lewis or Max in the last race. 

Leclerc should’ve stolen it from Lewis this week. He had a 26 second gap on Ricciardo and could’ve put softs on right at the end but Ferrari said they didn’t want to risk a really slow stop. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just got a COTA survey. Seemed like 3/4ths of it was "How much money did you spend on hotels, flights, rideshare, merch, concessions" 

Then a "if there was anything you think we can do better, let us know" question.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

I'd be very interested for Megan the Stallion's take on the Red Bull/Mercedes strategy used on Sunday. Does she think that Hamilton needed to pit earlier in order to stay with Max? Or is it one thing to catch someone and another thing to pass. She has to know about the strength of DRS on the back straight, however.

Just now, Fudbelty said:

For anyone who cares Lando Norris is streaming F1 Racing game on Twitch. I’ve watched him a few times over the years and he seems like a good dude.

My take is that he has some growing up to do, both in the car and in real life. But he's what, 20? 21? 

20 minutes ago, faps said:

Hearing Joe Buck promoting Megan Thee Stallion on the WS broadcast was funny. Her media team really getting her name out there.

I realize I'm not the target demo, but I'd never heard her name before they talked about her on the F1 broadcast.

And the only times since, that I've seen or heard her name, are entirely confined to mentions on this thread.

And I'm okay with that. :)

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just got a COTA survey. Seemed like 3/4ths of it was "How much money did you spend on hotels, flights, rideshare, merch, concessions" 

Then a "if there was anything you think we can do better, let us know" question.

Yeah I got it too. Haven't done it yet. I'm sure they'll delete mine anyway when their eyes stop bleeding.

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I realize I'm not the target demo, but I'd never heard her name before they talked about her on the F1 broadcast.

And the only times since, that I've seen or heard her name, are entirely confined to mentions on this thread.

And I'm okay with that. :)

I'd never heard of her either, and I'm into rap music. Haven't heard her stuff, but given her age & what's popular out there right now, I doubt she's really a 'rapper' so much as a musician/singer. Her mom was a rapper. There ain't much current rap at all, but there are a couple of bands trying to resurrect 90s rap & hiphop, with a big Beastie Boys influence.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Y'all ain't heard WAP?

The song that made Ben Shapiro cry?  Big fan of the music video and the general literary thematics in the song.

I'd really like to get to the Mexico race  next season.  Anybody been recently?  

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The song that made Ben Shapiro cry?  Big fan of the music video and the general literary thematics in the song.

I'd really like to get to the Mexico race  next season.  Anybody been recently?  

Naw, man. But I definitely want to get there and do Dia de los Muertos the following week. Incredible crowds, and that would be a great week.

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

At Sochi, Bottas didn't even try to fight off Max and he got past him immediately.  I don't think he gives a shit anymore.

I wouldn't either if I were him. The thing is, regardless of what they may have told him, he was never hired to do anything but support Lewis in the WDC and Merc in the WCC. He was not hired to compete with Lewis.

50 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Off the track he’s one of the most conscientious and mature 21 year olds I’ve seen and he’s beating the pants off Danny this season. My take is that you’re a little off the mark.

Meh. Some saw clip of him mocking a guy asking a question in broken English when it wasn't his first language. Rubbed me the wrong way. But as I said, he's still very young. Good driver, likeable fun to watch.

As for DR versus Lando, Since summer break, Ricciardo has finished higher by a count of 4-2 (54-36 in points). Seems like it took some races to find his stride, but I'd put them very much in the same ballpark at this point.