2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is literally every year, though since we won the title. "Rick has been dealt a shitty hand". And those excuses will deflect any blame from him. Sorry, 10 years with zero playoff series wins is pretty damning. We have been irrelevant for 10 years but for some reason, Mavs fans never ever question Rick. Hell, Rangers fans had zero problem with questioning Ron Washington and this was not long after his back to back WS appearances. Is it because Rick won that he gets a free pass from media and fans? Seems like it. Our biggest achievement since the title is taking the Spurs further than any other team in 2014 and then taking LA to 6 last year. That's it. Even the Knicks have won a playoff series more recently.

Rick is not a great coach. He's a good coach right now. Nothing has been great about the last 10 years. If you want to roll with the "bad hand" card, that's fine. Either way you slice it, nothing about it has been great at all. He cost us a really good PG in Rondo because of his ego. I'd rather have Rondo in 2015 than Rick.

And I am concerned a lot about both. KP and Rick. I do not think Rick is the right guy for this team going forward. 

My concerns are not just after these 18 games. It is the body of work for years and years. Rick is going to milk that lone title for the rest of his life. You act like there is no life after Rick. When the Pistons got rid of him and literally had much better success after him. 2 straight Finals and won one. Rick is not some god. To Dallas fans he might be because he got us our only title but Avery Johnson also got to the Finals with Dirk. 

You wanted to fire Rick because he couldn't work with DSJ lol.  Just stop.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

They're not trying to "tread water" on the season. They're trying to tread water while all these guys are hurt/recovering from Covid.  Huge difference.  They'll be very competitive when fully healthy and I fully suspect a trade will be coming by March as well.

Dude my dad is 71 and has diabetes and just diagnosed with leukemia and two weeks later got covid and had a mild cough and no fever and was fine after 7-8 days so you’re gonna have to have a better excuse than the covid stuff. And other teams are dealing with the same shit as the mavs(rockets) and have had more drama and roster change and essentially have the same record. But I see according to you it will be maybe April till the mavs are even able to see how good they are. The bigger issue from a outside perspective and I watch a lot of mavs game living here and the rockets blowing ass and harden but the defense is incredibly bad and hasn’t improved at all from last year even with the addition of Richardson. Not sure if it’s schematic issues or what. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Dude my dad is 71 and has diabetes and just diagnosed with leukemia and two weeks later got covid and had a mild cough and no fever and was fine after 7-8 days so you’re gonna have to have a better excuse than the covid stuff. And other teams are dealing with the same shit as the mavs(rockets) and have had more drama and roster change and essentially have the same record. But I see according to you it will be maybe April till the mavs are even able to see how good they are. The bigger issue from a outside perspective and I watch a lot of mavs game living here and the rockets blowing ass and harden but the defense is incredibly bad and hasn’t improved at all from last year even with the addition of Richardson. Not sure if it’s schematic issues or what. 

They had the 3rd rated defense in the league before the COVID guys went into lockdown.

• Haha 1

They’ve had a lot of lopsided wins that help that “rating”. Clippers blowout, Miami game and Charlotte but even from the beginning of the season they’ve given up huge numbers. Basketball is offense so I don’t look at ratings much because it’s not the 90’s anymore and games are just track meets, I watch the games and they have a ton of late game breakdowns dating back to last year so something is off that they continue to look bad late in games. 

They’ve had a lot of lopsided wins that help that “rating”. Clippers blowout, Miami game and Charlotte but even from the beginning of the season they’ve given up huge numbers. Basketball is offense so I don’t look at ratings much because it’s not the 90’s anymore and games are just track meets, I watch the games and they have a ton of late game breakdowns dating back to last year so something is off that they continue to look bad late in games. 
You're being disingenuous. Throwing out defensive performances at the beginning of the year because we blew out the other team? Looking at results from last year to say out defense hasn't improved this year? Come on man. And covid has claimed our three best wing defenders for two and a half weeks now. Surely you'd acknowledge that had an impact on overall team defense. Or maybe you think your dad can play wing defense I dunno that was pretty weird why you brought that up
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:
3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You're being disingenuous. Throwing out defensive performances at the beginning of the year because we blew out the other team? Looking at results from last year to say out defense hasn't improved this year? Come on man. And covid has claimed our three best wing defenders for two and a half weeks now. Surely you'd acknowledge that had an impact on overall team defense. Or maybe you think your dad can play wing defense I dunno that was pretty weird why you brought that up

It’s also pretty weird to say covid is why you’re losing games when every team has had covid. My dad being 71 with leukemia and diabetes and having covid and being fine in 8 days should show that these guy have better doctors and treatment around the clock than normal people. But yea man it’s all covid. And I’m not trolling I’m asking as fans how long should you guys hold on to this roster with Luka already in his prime? You think if they are all healthy you’re gonna win a title?

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s also pretty weird to say covid is why you’re losing games when every team has had covid. My dad being 71 with leukemia and diabetes and having covid and being fine in 8 days should show that these guy have better doctors and treatment around the clock than normal people. But yea man it’s all covid.

i'm really happy to hear rocketpapa beat covid and is back to his usual self, especially with his other disorders.  that's just awesome.  but being back to his normal self doing what he normally is a far cry from being in NBA shape going against the best athletes in the world for 30 mins every other night.  and i'm sure you've heard of how even young people who've recovered from covid (no more fever etc) still have trouble with breathing, a lack of stamina, or a general sense of weakness sometimes lasting months.  so again, glad your pops whipped it but you have to realize that's not exactly what you should base your expectations on.

I’m asking as fans how long should you guys hold on to this roster with Luka already in his prime? You think if they are all healthy you’re gonna win a title?

we haven't had one single game with this entire roster being listed as even available, much less playing together, much less playing with enough experience to have chemistry when fit.  so... how long?  longer than this.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

You say that like your dad is a professional athlete that needs his lungs to work at 100% to be effective lol. I’m not even necessarily saying you’re wrong, but there have been PLENTY of athletes across all 3 major sports that have talked about how it took them weeks, and even months to feel like they were back to their normal self from a conditioning standpoint. Again, not even saying you’re completely wrong, but “your dad” is a ridiculous counter argument. 

• Like 2

as predicted this team and coach is a 7/8 seed at best.    I'm gonna predict porzingas is a bust as a #2.  He might, might be #3.
Phx has 31 FT's and makes 45% of their 3's.   this team is absolutely awful at D and thats on Rick.

Absolutely. Same bullshit we have seen forever here now. But the fans and media will never ever again question Rick because of 10 years ago. He gets a lifetime pass unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
12 hours ago, dcar00 said:
as predicted this team and coach is a 7/8 seed at best.    I'm gonna predict porzingas is a bust as a #2.  He might, might be #3.
Phx has 31 FT's and makes 45% of their 3's.   this team is absolutely awful at D and thats on Rick.

Absolutely. Same bullshit we have seen forever here now. But the fans and media will never ever again question Rick because of 10 years ago. He gets a lifetime pass unfortunately.

I was wondering about the Rick love.  I was a huge Mavs fan growing up.  Moved to TN and became a casual fan.  I got back to Texas 3 years ago.  I've been surprised by how little criticism Rick gets by the local media.  Hell, the Ticket, or whatever station it is that I listen to on the way to work, acts like he's Red Aurbach.  I just don't get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was wondering about the Rick love.  I was a huge Mavs fan growing up.  Moved to TN and became a casual fan.  I got back to Texas 3 years ago.  I've been surprised by how little criticism Rick gets by the local media.  Hell, the Ticket, or whatever station it is that I listen to on the way to work, acts like he's Red Aurbach.  I just don't get it.

the criticism is starting.  I think Craig (ticket) tweeted about it over the weekend.  People are not going to be kind if/when they think that poor coaching is going the be cause of Luka bailing on Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I think because of who Dallas is historically. They are a huge underdog every season and at one point, were maybe the worst franchise in all of sports in the 90s. So the expectations are extremely low. Rick wins us a title and now he gets the lifetime pass it seems. 10 years now after and we have zero playoff series wins. I am trying to think of a coach who stays around that long with zero playoff series wins. The excuse of him having a bad hand is getting stale. He has one single ring his entire career on one single appearance. He had good teams in Detroit and Indiana but never made it to the Finals with either. I just don't get why people constantly say how great he is anytime the list of good coaches are being discussed. They talk about him like he is Pop or Phil Jackson. I keep hearing he does so much with what little he has. Bullshit. He had Dirk to finish his career and now has Luka right after Dirk retired.

There is a faction out there who do criticize Rick but it is smaller and they are shunned by the people who crown him the savior of Mavs. Rick has a ego problem. I believe that is why him and the Detroit front office butted heads and he was let go from Detroit. He fucked up the Rondo situation. Not sure why Cuban gave him a pass for that. Seeing as they made the move to get him to give us life and we desperately needed a PG. But his ego suffocated Rondo and ruined that whole thing. But as usual, our fans sided with Rick and trashed Rondo and then said he was washed up anyways. Which was proven fucking silly when just last year, he helped LA to a title. This was 5 years after he was here. Hell, he played damn good with the Bulls as well. I just wonder what he could have been here if he actually played for a coach who let him do his thing instead of how Rick treated him. He does this same shit constantly yet the front office lets it be. They only have themselves to blame if they decide to let Rick ruin the Luka era.

I would have much rather gotten a new coach in here for the Luka era.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

the criticism is starting.  I think Craig (ticket) tweeted about it over the weekend.  People are not going to be kind if/when they think that poor coaching is going the be cause of Luka bailing on Dallas.

Good for Craig. I also see others like Jesse Holley (former The Fan host) criticize Rick. He knows a thing or two about basketball playing at UNC. The honeymoon phase after the ring we got is long gone. It's time to see results at some point. We are becoming a franchise of what ifs and when we get healthy. Never actually living in the present and judging what we see now. If Rick actually did more with less, we shouldn't see this team constantly get bullied and ran off the court as often as we do.

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Good for Craig. I also see others like Jesse Holley (former The Fan host) criticize Rick. He knows a thing or two about basketball playing at UNC. The honeymoon phase after the ring we got is long gone. It's time to see results at some point. We are becoming a franchise of what ifs and when we get healthy. Never actually living in the present and judging what we see now. If Rick actually did more with less, we shouldn't see this team constantly get bullied and ran off the court as often as we do.

just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  fingers crossed this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think because of who Dallas is historically. They are a huge underdog every season and at one point, were maybe the worst franchise in all of sports in the 90s. So the expectations are extremely low. Rick wins us a title and now he gets the lifetime pass it seems. 10 years now after and we have zero playoff series wins. I am trying to think of a coach who stays around that long with zero playoff series wins. The excuse of him having a bad hand is getting stale. He has one single ring his entire career on one single appearance. He had good teams in Detroit and Indiana but never made it to the Finals with either. I just don't get why people constantly say how great he is anytime the list of good coaches are being discussed. They talk about him like he is Pop or Phil Jackson. I keep hearing he does so much with what little he has. Bullshit. He had Dirk to finish his career and now has Luka right after Dirk retired.

There is a faction out there who do criticize Rick but it is smaller and they are shunned by the people who crown him the savior of Mavs. Rick has a ego problem. I believe that is why him and the Detroit front office butted heads and he was let go from Detroit. He fucked up the Rondo situation. Not sure why Cuban gave him a pass for that. Seeing as they made the move to get him to give us life and we desperately needed a PG. But his ego suffocated Rondo and ruined that whole thing. But as usual, our fans sided with Rick and trashed Rondo and then said he was washed up anyways. Which was proven fucking silly when just last year, he helped LA to a title. This was 5 years after he was here. Hell, he played damn good with the Bulls as well. I just wonder what he could have been here if he actually played for a coach who let him do his thing instead of how Rick treated him. He does this same shit constantly yet the front office lets it be. They only have themselves to blame if they decide to let Rick ruin the Luka era.

I would have much rather gotten a new coach in here for the Luka era.

just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  just gotta keep the powder dry for the next FA crop.  fingers crossed this year.
Just you wait. When KP is healthy, this team is going places!

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Just you wait. When KP is healthy, this team is going places!

"you miss 65% of the shots you always take" - Michael Scott

I want to believe, truly want to believe, that when everyone gets back they can start perform at a high level again and put some wins together, but it's at the point where KP is missing everything and if Jr is not on fire, we don't have a chance no matter what Luka does.  Call me a bad fan, but I just want to tune in to the first quarter to see how Luka is doing then look at the score late to see if it's worth tuning in.  Last game I was like sweet!  96 all in the 4th should be a great finish...sad trombone as CP3 lifts his leg on the Mavs down the stretch on his way to cash a SS check.  

Carlisle is still one of the better coaches in the league. What I don't understand is why Donnie Nelson doesn't get more criticism. They haven't done a very good job with roster construction. Back in the day, Cuban would just spend however much he wanted to make sure that they had a deep roster but the repeater tax makes that prohibitive now. Outside of Luka, their drafting has been pretty terrible. Granted they traded a lot of picks over the years with not a ton to show for it (and have more going out for Porzingis btw), but who was the last guy they drafted that was worth a shit? Josh Howard? That was 17 years a go. Dennis Smith Jr was a huge bust. 

Porzingis is the much bigger issue though. If he doesn't stay healthy and pan out in a major way, this franchise isn't going to compete for championships for awhile. He's on the books for $36 million in 2023-24.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Carlisle is still one of the better coaches in the league. What I don't understand is why Donnie Nelson doesn't get more criticism. They haven't done a very good job with roster construction. Back in the day, Cuban would just spend however much he wanted to make sure that they had a deep roster but the repeater tax makes that prohibitive now. Outside of Luka, their drafting has been pretty terrible. Granted they traded a lot of picks over the years with not a ton to show for it (and have more going out for Porzingis btw), but who was the last guy they drafted that was worth a shit? Josh Howard? That was 17 years a go. Dennis Smith Jr was a huge bust. 

Porzingis is the much bigger issue though. If he doesn't stay healthy and pan out in a major way, this franchise isn't going to compete for championships for awhile. He's on the books for $36 million in 2023-24.

Brunson, Crowder, and Finney-Smith, if you count him, is a pretty good haul. They also found Maxi for basically nothing. The kid they drafted this year looks to have the potential to be a really good 3&D player but time will tell on that. It's widely known Donnie wanted the Greek Freak and got over-ruled by Cubes. If you want to make a point the Cubes gets in the way, I could buy that, but the issue of drafting has become dated argument as far as I can tell. 

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Brunson, Crowder, and Finney-Smith, if you count him, is a pretty good haul. They also found Maxi for basically nothing. The kid they drafted this year looks to have the potential to be a really good 3&D player but time will tell on that. It's widely known Donnie wanted the Greek Freak and got over-ruled by Cubes. If you want to make a point the Cubes gets in the way, I could buy that, but the issue of drafting has become dated argument as far as I can tell. 

Three guys in 15+ years, only one of who is a borderline NBA starter at best (and he never even achieved that lofty status in Dallas) is a good haul? And then they turned that one guy plus a another first round pick into the unmitigated disaster that was Rondo. Yuck. 

I'm an outsider so I may be way off base but it just seems like they should have more assets than they do for a team that hasn't won a playoff series since 2011. 

Back in the day Cuban could spend his way into a good roster but I'm not sure that's feasible any more. They are going to have to be shrewd and maybe a little lucky, and especially so if Porzingis doesn't pan out.