2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

What in holy hell did Miami do to their Vice jerseys?

Yeah in the offseason promos I thought they were kinda cool when they had one player modeling them.    When the whole team AND the floor was done up in the color scheme it was WAY too much.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Yeah, but he was really playing well.   Watching him play, it was very clear that he was finally confident in his body and mind.

Yeah- I didn't meant that as a negative. I agree with you. I was saying that legitimately happy for him getting paid. It's a good argument for why a player should take money and security when they get offered it.  Because even though Klay or KD are getting paid while injured that guy probably isn't getting paid like that.  

Can we talk about how much of a disaster Westbrook is? He's getting his cute little triple double average on the season - which apparently is the only thing that matters to him in his career. Meanwhile his shooting splits right now are .395/.286/.636 with 5 turnovers per game. This is a guy that shot .828 from the stripe in over 400 games from 2011 to 2017 with OKC. 

Advanced stats-wise he's posting a 15.2 PER, .461 TS%, a fucking negative WS/48 (which is almost impossible to do) and a negative BPM - a pretty dumb stat that has always favored guys like him that post volume over efficiency.

He's one of 5 guys playing over 30 mpg posting a negative WS/48 - joining Dillon Brooks, Derrick Jones, Buddy Hield and Gary Harris. He is one of 10 guys playing over 30 mpg posting a sub .500 TS% and is 4th to last on that list. Of those guys - he is taking the 2nd most FGA/g (19.8 to Donovan Mitchell's 20.1) most FTA/g and has the most TO/g by far. 

Sure - sample size, whatever - but this has to be the empiest 10 rebound/10 assist per game season in NBA history. Just atrocious.

(and it goes without saying he is doing dick all on defense)

I mean, the more I think about it, it is actually amazing that a player of his caliber has been this bad. It makes Melo's and AI's nosedives off the cliff look tame.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Didn't he sit out a game last week, too?

Kyrie takes games off during the regular season, James takes off games during the playoffs. Poor KD.

He and KD sat out last week due to it being SEGABABA.

KD is out due to covid protocol. Who tf knows why Kyrie is out. Dinwiddie has been out a few games now and isn't returning anytime soon. So of course the Nets come out and smack the league-leading 76ers. 

I have not watched the NBA as long as some of you, but for me this is already by far the most bizarre season I've ever seen. And it's just going to get weirder. Buckle up.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

He and KD sat out last week due to it being SEGABABA.

KD is out due to covid protocol. Who tf knows why Kyrie is out. Dinwiddie has been out a few games now and isn't returning anytime soon. So of course the Nets come out and smack the league-leading 76ers. 

I have not watched the NBA as long as some of you, but for me this is already by far the most bizarre season I've ever seen. And it's just going to get weirder. Buckle up.

They had been matching all of KD/Kyrie's minutes.    Both always playing at the same time.    I thought it was very strange that they even sat them out at the same time.   Guess Kyrie has decided he isn't gonna play if KD isn't.

39 minutes ago, d2o said:

They had been matching all of KD/Kyrie's minutes.    Both always playing at the same time.    I thought it was very strange that they even sat them out at the same time.   Guess Kyrie has decided he isn't gonna play if KD isn't.

Trying to get ahead of any "they're better when only KD is on the court" or "their offensive is more efficient when KD sits" narratives?

Half kidding, at least.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Trying to get ahead of any "they're better when only KD is on the court" or "their offensive is more efficient when KD sits" narratives?

Half kidding, at least.

It honestly seems like they are doing to make sure that Kyrie doesn't feel like KD is getting different treatment.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

They haven't been totally mirroring their minutes. It has definitely not been staggered all that much but each of them have been on the court without each other - and Kyrie played 2 games ago with KD out. 

This team is going to be interesting to try and figure out. I feel like they are either a Finals team or a 2nd round flameout waiting to happen. KD doesn't have much experience losing that early, though.

54 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I assume it was a "protest" of Tuesday's world events. Why not just come out and say that, I don't know. But that's Kyrie.

Someone told him the world was round and it put him in a bit of a mood.  I will never understand why someone would choose to hitch their wagon to Kyrie.  He’s good, but he’s not that good.  The list of players who are that good goes about 8 deep.

13 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Someone told him the world was round and it put him in a bit of a mood.  I will never understand why someone would choose to hitch their wagon to Kyrie.  He’s good, but he’s not that good.  The list of players who are that good goes about 8 deep.

And even then, Harden's the only one out of those 8 who is considered "temperamental" but he's still good for 35, 7, and 6 every night, stripper glitter and all.

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

And even then, Harden's the only one out of those 8 who is considered "temperamental" but he's still good for 35, 7, and 6 every night, stripper glitter and all.

They all come with varying degrees of drama, but Harden is indeed the only one you would think twice about having on your team.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

He's gonna bring them down

He's playing at a first team all-NBA level right now. The problem is, he isn't really "playing" that often. 

They almost won again last night without KD and Kyrie. 

At the very beginning of the season I thought Nash had the easiest job ever. Now I'm not so sure.

On 1/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, ztejas said:

Can we talk about how much of a disaster Westbrook is? He's getting his cute little triple double average on the season - which apparently is the only thing that matters to him in his career. Meanwhile his shooting splits right now are .395/.286/.636 with 5 turnovers per game. This is a guy that shot .828 from the stripe in over 400 games from 2011 to 2017 with OKC. 

Advanced stats-wise he's posting a 15.2 PER, .461 TS%, a fucking negative WS/48 (which is almost impossible to do) and a negative BPM - a pretty dumb stat that has always favored guys like him that post volume over efficiency.

He's one of 5 guys playing over 30 mpg posting a negative WS/48 - joining Dillon Brooks, Derrick Jones, Buddy Hield and Gary Harris. He is one of 10 guys playing over 30 mpg posting a sub .500 TS% and is 4th to last on that list. Of those guys - he is taking the 2nd most FGA/g (19.8 to Donovan Mitchell's 20.1) most FTA/g and has the most TO/g by far. 

Sure - sample size, whatever - but this has to be the empiest 10 rebound/10 assist per game season in NBA history. Just atrocious.

(and it goes without saying he is doing dick all on defense)

I mean, the more I think about it, it is actually amazing that a player of his caliber has been this bad. It makes Melo's and AI's nosedives off the cliff look tame.

Missed this earlier. I posted about it a few days ago, but it's kind of a bummer, even if we all sort of knew that this is how it was going to go for him in his post-physical prime. He's averaging a triple double, Beal is having a monster year thus far...and the team sucks shit through a straw. Melo is still around because he can at least shoot. What's 34 year old Russ going to give a team?

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Missed this earlier. I posted about it a few days ago, but it's kind of a bummer, even if we all sort of knew that this is how it was going to go for him in his post-physical prime. He's averaging a triple double, Beal is having a monster year thus far...and the team sucks shit through a straw. Melo is still around because he can at least shoot. What's 34 year old Russ going to give a team?

A $40m hit on their salary cap???

• Hook 'Em 2

Is Kyrie tradeable? Like give him to Toronto for Lowry and a first? KD and LaVert can carry the offense for this team. Lowry could be a net positive on the defensive end and a better team guy. They'd have more flexibility for next year when trying to run it back. Maybe they could fleece Orlando for him if the Magic really think they had a team before losing Fultz and still want to take a swing this year.

16 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I watched none of the Warriors game tonight, but I did see that the Clips were outscored 52-22 to end the game. That’s simply incredible.

If Dallas could have just finished the game they were up 50 against them the clips could have lost by 80. 

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

Is Kyrie tradeable? Like give him to Toronto for Lowry and a first? KD and LaVert can carry the offense for this team. Lowry could be a net positive on the defensive end and a better team guy. They'd have more flexibility for next year when trying to run it back. Maybe they could fleece Orlando for him if the Magic really think they had a team before losing Fultz and still want to take a swing this year.

At this point, teams have to know if he aint gonna focus on a roster stacked for a title run there is no way in hell he would for a middling or below team.

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Covid is really starting to fuck shit up... not sure we're going to get through the season at this rate. They may have to suspend games for a bit or revisit how this whole thing is going to operate. Which sucks, because it's been fun.

Vaccine is how we finish the season.  The NBA will get it before they should.