Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

at the end of the 2021 season, when the rams are in the super bowl and the cowboys have finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs for the fourth time in dak’s six years, maybe some of you mouth-breathers will change your tune on whether or not we should’ve made a run at stafford. keeping dak is settling for mediocrity. it’s cowardly and beneath the standard for america’s team. 

at the end of the 2021 season, when the rams are in the super bowl and the cowboys have finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs for the fourth time in dak’s six years, maybe some of you mouth-breathers will change your tune on whether or not we should’ve made a run at stafford. keeping dak is settling for mediocrity. it’s cowardly and beneath the standard for america’s team. 

The standard for America’s Team has been lowered quite a bit over the last 25 years. I would agreed with you for the first 35 years of their existence.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, futureman said:

two firsts and a third and jared goff. that’s what a legitimate quarterback will get you in a trade. 31 of 31 GMs would simply chuckle and hang up the phone if jerry asked for two firsts and a third for dak. 

He's been in the league how long and not one single division title or even a playoff win. Can't think of any QB in league history that was good who didn't even have one or both of these. And he played with Calvin Johnson. He's a very poor man's Tony Romo and that isn't a compliment.

Anyone saying that Stafford took 2 Firsts to get is not really looking at this correctly..  The price was a first, a 3rd, and they too Goff and his contract off their hands for an extra 1st. And these first rounders are years away from Detroit using them.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Anyone saying that Stafford took 2 Firsts to get is not really looking at this correctly..  The price was a first, a 3rd, and they too Goff and his contract off their hands for an extra 1st. And these first rounders are years away from Detroit using them.

Exactly. It was an NBA trade. Stafford is worth a 1st and a 3rd. The extra 1st was “please take this god awful contract off our hands”. It’s like what the Texans did when they traded Brock Osweiler and his bad contract to the browns for a 2nd round pick.

It’s a great move for the Lions, and it’s a bold move for the Rams. I personally think it makes the Rams the favorites in the NFC, but if Stafford gets seriously injured like he’s known to do, that’s just a brutal trade for the Rams. It’ll be interesting to see what Stafford can do with a running game for the first time in his career, and an offensive mind like McVay. It is hilarious though to see how they’re trying to squeeze everything they can out of this 2-3 year window. They haven’t made a first round pick since they drafted Goff in 2016, and they won’t have one until 2023. That’s fucking wild. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Goff is that bad.  He's a one read QB.  If you make him think at all he ca be easily beaten.  The SB run was built on the running game and play action pass.  If he has to go to the second or third option, he will get sacked, and half the time he doesn't protect the ball well in the pocket.  There are easily 20 better QBs in the league than Goff. 

17 months ago McVay and Snead signed off on Goff receiving a record breaking contract only to surmise in the last couple weeks that they can't win with him. I guess it doesn't matter because if Stafford isn't what they hope he is they won't last past the end of his contract, but the wide gulf between those 2 conclusions over the span of 17 months makes me question their judgement. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

8 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

4250 / 26 / 12 / 91.5 QBR / 2 Pro Bowls (one questionable) equate to not 20 QBs better than him. He’s good.  He’ll have a few guys to throw to in Detroit and they’ll be loaded with picks. Campbell will need a better OL and a better OC than Lynn. Goff can’t be judged properly for about 2-3 seasons. Stafford (and McVay) must win now. Detroit made one of the smartest trades in its history - even if Goff doesn’t pan out. 

Yes, I think Stafford is a clear upgrade. I’m not convinced that McVay is all that great, and the Rams are fucked if they can’t win a title in the next 3 years. 

I don’t necessarily think Goff is as bad as some, but when Goff was good, gurley was the best running back in the league. You can say this about a lot of guys, but he’s a classic example of a guy that desperately needs to have play action to take pressure off of him. Stafford has never been that guy. Stafford is easily a top 10 guy when healthy. 

40 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

17 months ago McVay and Snead signed off on Goff receiving a record breaking contract only to surmise in the last couple weeks that they can't win with him. I guess it doesn't matter because if Stafford isn't what they hope he is they won't last past the end of his contract, but the wide gulf between those 2 conclusions over the span of 17 months makes me question their judgement. 

I know this is just me viewing things through my cowboys glasses, but I really do think they were trying to beat us to the punch and pay Goff before we paid dak. I think that’s why the Eagles rushed to pay wentz too. They didn’t want to kick the can down the road and make the same mistake that we’re making 

54 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I know this is just me viewing things through my cowboys glasses, but I really do think they were trying to beat us to the punch and pay Goff before we paid dak. I think that’s why the Eagles rushed to pay wentz too. They didn’t want to kick the can down the road and make the same mistake that we’re making 

I hear you and like you I don't think Goff is an inadequate QB, but even at the time of his signing there were skeptics about his ability given the way he absolutely sucked under the previous regime and the fact that it was well known that McKay quickly got them out of huddles and up to the line to specifically coach him through his pre-snap decisions before the allotted headset time lapsed. 

44 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nobody would give us anything for dak because they know they could just get him in free agency.

That's not totally true. We would of course have to work with Dak's agent to get him to sign, but we could work with him in a trade to his preferred destination and get something back if he signed the franchise tag.  Basically an NFL version of the sign and trade practices of the NBA. 

4250 / 26 / 12 / 91.5 QBR / 2 Pro Bowls (one questionable) equate to not 20 QBs better than him. He’s good.  He’ll have a few guys to throw to in Detroit and they’ll be loaded with picks. Campbell will need a better OL and a better OC than Lynn. Goff can’t be judged properly for about 2-3 seasons. Stafford (and McVay) must win now. Detroit made one of the smartest trades in its history - even if Goff doesn’t pan out. 
Yes, I think Stafford is a clear upgrade. I’m not convinced that McVay is all that great, and the Rams are fucked if they can’t win a title in the next 3 years. 

I would rather have Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Brady, Ryan, Carr, Prescott, Stafford, Watson, Cousins, Big Ben, Murray, Wilson, Wilson, Mayfield, Burrows, Jackson, Jones, and Wentz than Goff. Switch any of those players to the Rams and the Adams are better off. Put Goff onto any of those other teams and those teams are immediately worse.

I agree Detroit made a great trade as they were clearly not getting any better with Stafford. I don’t think Stafford was the problem in Detroit, but I think this was the right time for both to go their separate ways.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Jones, Wentz, Carr, Mayfield, a mystery Wilson, and Burrows at this stage - I totally disagree. Clearly the others, but Brady and Ben are on their last legs, and Goff is a lot closer to Prescott, Watson, Cousins, and Murray than he is the group of QBs above I think he’s clearly better than. 

Before this season I haphazardly viewed Watson as a guy who lived on off-schedule plays and didn't demonstrate above average proficiency for delivering on schedule and consistently going through his progressions. He proved me wrong this year. He literally had the best year a QB on an atrocious team has ever had. He was 2nd in the league in qb rating, 1st in yards, threw 33 TDs against 7 INTs, and 3rd behind Rodgers and Brees (who missed 4 games) in completion % at 70%.  At 25, he's up there with all the other elite guys IMO and it really demonstrates the all-time organizational suck for his team to be this bad despite his outstanding play.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I would rather have Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Brady, Ryan, Carr, Prescott, Stafford, Watson, Cousins, Big Ben, Murray, Wilson, Wilson, Mayfield, Burrows, Jackson, Jones, and Wentz than Goff. Switch any of those players to the Rams and the Adams are better off. Put Goff onto any of those other teams and those teams are immediately worse.

I agree Detroit made a great trade as they were clearly not getting any better with Stafford. I don’t think Stafford was the problem in Detroit, but I think this was the right time for both to go their separate ways.

I don't disagree with Detroit wanting to move on from Stafford. 12 years and not one playoff win or even a division title. He blew a 14pt lead to Dallas in the playoffs. Lost a game at home in 2016 to GB that would have won the division and got them their first ever home game in the playoffs since they played us in 1991. Lost that. He chokes when it matters and they need new life. But to trade for Goff? Terrible. He is young and that is really the only thing he has on Stafford. Goff is the product of how good McVay is. Goff had no idea how to read a defense. He would look to McVay to make the adjustments and listen to him in his ear. And where to go with the ball. McVay knew he got all he could from him and there was no future. You can't baby a QB for his whole career.

My only question is why did the Rams extend Goff for a big extension knowing this? Surely McVay had to give his input on Goff to the front office. He knows he isn't shit without his babying. Makes no real sense. I never saw Goff or Wentz as good QBs in that class. Both are below average.

Too bad our shit ass defense could not stop the run game against the Rams in 2018 playoffs and force Goff to pass it more. But when you gain over 300 on the ground, no need to pass. NE made him a deer in the headlights. They knew what McVay would do and purposely shift their defense after Goff lost contact with McVay in his ear. Bill put an end to that shit. And what happened? Goff didn't even lead one single TD drive. The same NE defense who gave up a shit ton to KC the game before.

I don't believe in Stafford at all and never thought he was more than average but curious to see how he is with McVay and what he can do with him.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Garbage time stats mean nothing to me. Watson and Dak are good, competent QBs. Neither is great at this point. 

Dude you're smarter than this. I would think that blithely claiming, garbage time stats, like a talk radio caller without a smidgen of data to back it up was below you, but then again maybe not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Once again, I would like to know when Garbage time stats count, and when they don't.  Because other than the Cleveland game, which was a 1 score game before the defense, unsurprisingly, gave up a mid field WR reverse for a TD, every other game Dak started was a close game the whole way(Rams), they had the lead in the game late before, of course, the defense gave up the final score(Seattle), they actually won miracle or not(Falcons), or had the lead in when he went down(Giants).

Where exactly were the garbage time stats?  When other QB's, like Watson, were racking up yards coming from behind or in shootout you don't hear "Garbage stats" Only when Dak is.  And ALL those games were winnable, mainly thanks to Dak, and lost BECAUSE of the Defense. 

Like really?

• Like 1

Before this season I haphazardly viewed Watson as a guy who lived on off-schedule plays and didn't demonstrate above average proficiency for delivering on schedule and consistently going through his progressions. He proved me wrong this year. He literally had the best year a QB on an atrocious team has ever had. He was 2nd in the league in qb rating, 1st in yards, threw 33 TDs against 7 INTs, and 3rd behind Rodgers and Brees (who missed 4 games) in completion % at 70%.  At 25, he's up there with all the other elite guys IMO and it really demonstrates the all-time organizational suck for his team to be this bad despite his outstanding play.

Watson >>>>>> Dak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No, he literally isn't, and all the metrics bear that out.

Is he better? Maybe? Probably.  I wouldn't argue that at all.

But saying he's significantly better than Dak is showing absolute bias based on perception(what you feel and the fact that 1 was a Top Pick and one wasn't).  Watson is going to have more highlight plays, when the pocket brakes down.  Dak is going to be much more consistent.

I stand by what I said.  Dak doesn't lose 12 games under similar circumstances, and if he does, we're running him out of town.  

Dak would have lost more than 12 games with that Texans roster this year. It was and is atrocious.  The only reason they won 4 games is because Deshaun can make plays.  Jesus, I know y'all want to be loyal to Dak because he is a Cowboy, but he isn't in the same conversation as Watson. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re taking my comment too far. Dak and Watson statistics were aided by terrible defenses.  This is undeniable.  Also, both are good QBs.

I really don’t think Watson is elite yet. I think he’s good and so is Dak. Watson isn’t a cut above Dak. I’d likely take him over Dak, but that’s based on stats only. In the time I’ve watched him, I’m not impressed like I am with Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson or even Allen. I don’t think he’s a top 5 QB. I think both are top 10, with Watson edging out Dak. 

Typically QBs who consistently play from behind rack up INTs because they're constantly taking risk. And  by that same token their completion % dips as well. Watson's lack of INTs and elite completion % scream out that he's anything but a QB who is racking #s during garbage minutes and his relatively high QBR metric tells me he is accumulating his numbers primarily when the game is still in doubt. Judging by some of these metrics and without looking at Texans game logs  I'd guess that they lost a more games where the defense gave up a late lead or late TDs to put them down by more than instances of him being down by multiple TDs and racking up stats that were totally meaningless. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drew said:

But saying he's significantly better than Dak is showing absolute bias based on perception(what you feel and the fact that 1 was a Top Pick and one wasn't).  Watson is going to have more highlight plays, when the pocket brakes down.  Dak is going to be much more consistent.

I stand by what I said.  Dak doesn't lose 12 games under similar circumstances, and if he does, we're running him out of town.  

It's really impossible to tell for absolute certain considering they both played for such shitty organizations and coaching staffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Dak has elevated his game to the point where now he’s in ear shot of Watson. That’s because he’s had more stability and A LOT more around him. It’s given him a chance to grow and evolve as a player over his career. 

If there was ever a point where Watson had arguably the best rb in the league, and a top 5 offensive line for the majority of his career, watson would be Russell Wilson by now. Watson has dealt with a shit show for his entire career and he’s had to carry that organization from the moment he put on a Texans uniform. He hasn’t really been given a chance to grow as a player. He’s always just kinda had to wing it. IMO Watson’s ceiling is a lot higher than Dak’s.

For the record, I feel that exact same way about Josh Allen too, but we’ve only seen it for one year. But similar to Dak, as soon as josh Allen was given a number one wr, he was unlocked. He put an MVP caliber season, leading his team to one game away from the super bowl. I’ve heard plenty of cowboys homers talk like you’re talking right now, but it’s just not true. Not yet. Watson is better than Dak. I’m not gonna sit here and say I think he’s a lot better than Dak, but he’s a tier better than Dak. Any GM in America would say that. If Jerry thought Dak was as good as Watson he would’ve given him a blank check by now and said name your price. 

Its why we absolutely need to pay Dak before the bills pay Josh Allen. If that doesn’t happen, and this thing drags on past March, we’re fucked.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Of course he is. And that’s not because I agree with Drew (ha!) or because I’m some big Dak homer. It’s because Deshaun hasn’t done anything to be anointed yet. To say Dak wouldn’t have won 4 games with Will Fuller and JJ Watt on his side is absurd. This is my point: Watson (or Dak) don’t really do anything to elevate their teams. They are both good QBs and neither is elite. 

We are going to have to agree to disagree with this.  Watson does everything to elevate his teammates.  He is the sole reason for any success that franchise has sniffed over the last few years.  I'm not bashing Dak because I think you can win with him if everything else is in place, but Deshaun is on a different level than Dak. 

Edited by Hate

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Of course he is. And that’s not because I agree with Drew (ha!) or because I’m some big Dak homer. It’s because Deshaun hasn’t done anything to be anointed yet. To say Dak wouldn’t have won 4 games with Will Fuller and JJ Watt on his side is absurd. This is my point: Watson (or Dak) don’t really do anything to elevate their teams. They are both good QBs and neither is elite. 

With will fuller and JJ watt on his side lol. Listen to yourself right now. Will fuller is a good wr. He finally stayed healthy this year. Would anyone call fuller a number one? No. JJ watt is a shell of himself. That team is so talent poor it isn’t even funny. Outside of Watson one of the least talented teams in the league. He dragged that team to the divisional round last year. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ridiculous.  Based on what?  He led the league in passing yardage while his team won 4 games?  

Based on the fact that he has a trash receiving corp, trash OL, and a trash running game and still led the league in passing.  That team win maybe one game with Dak.  The fact you bring up Fuller and Watt tells me that you haven't watched a Texans game in a while. Fuller was suspended for PEDs the last 4 weeks of the year which left Watson throwing to Cobb and Coutee.  Their last 3 games were one score games which is fucking amazing when you account for the Texans having a bottom 3 ranked defense. 

24 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Also ridiculous. He didn’t drag anything. 

I always think it’s funny when someone just refuses to “agree to disagree”. We’re not going to convince you that you’re wrong, and you sure as shit aren’t changing my mind. It’s ok to look at a post that you don’t agree with, and move on. You get that, right? Are you like this in real life too? 

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Based on the fact that he has a trash receiving corp, trash OL, and a trash running game and still led the league in passing.  That team win maybe one game with Dak.  The fact you bring up Fuller and Watt tells me that you haven't watched a Texans game in a while. Fuller was suspended for PEDs the last 4 weeks of the year which left Watson throwing to Cobb and Coutee.  Their last 3 games were one score games which is fucking amazing when you account for the Texans having a bottom 3 ranked defense. 

Brandin Cooks was their #1 and he actually had an outstanding year.  He played in those games and had huge games down the stretch.  Texans had a bottom 3 defense by what measure?  I'm going to assume yardage which isn't the best way to judge defenses but they weren't good in any context, but neither were the Tennessee or Cincinnati (without Burrow) defenses Houston got to play.  Watson's a really good player, so not trying to dump on the guy, but he won 4 fucking games, 2 of which were against Jacksonville.  I like Watson and he's a fantastic talent, if he gets out of Houston he could take it up a level but he's not an elite guy..... not yet.  His QBR was exactly the same this season as it was when they were 11-5 last season, that's curious.

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Don't get me wrong. Dak is pretty good. I just don't think he's worth what he is going to be paid. He's borderline Top 10 QB IMO. I think Watson is better. I wonder how many NFL GM's would trade Watson straight-up for Dak today?

Not a single one. If Dan Mullen was somehow a GM tomorrow, he’d trade Dak for Watson in a heart beat. With that being said, Dak is top 10. And by top 10, I mean any given day Dak hovers anywhere between 5-15. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Agreed. Borderline top 10, Watson is better, but not appreciably so, and neither is capable of “dragging” their team to the playoffs. Lulz. 

Watson might not be elite today. But he's better than Dak today and may not have reached his ceiling. I think we've seen Dak's best.

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Watson might not be elite today. But he's better than Dak today and may not have reached his ceiling. I think we've seen Dak's best.

I think a case can be made we’ve seen Dak’s ceiling. I don’t see how he can improve his accuracy that much, and he isn’t going to get any more athletic. I’ve always thought one of Dak’s better traits was his decision making, so how much is he really going to get better at that. But I think he can maintain this level throughout the life of his contract, and if he does, I think it’s probably worth it. I don’t trust us to play this game of finding a better qb, even if he has reached his ceiling. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think a case can be made we’ve seen Dak’s ceiling. I don’t see how he can improve his accuracy that much, and he isn’t going to get any more athletic. I’ve always thought one of Dak’s better traits was his decision making, so how much is he really going to get better at that. But I think he can maintain this level throughout the life of his contract, and if he does, I think it’s probably worth it. I don’t trust us to play this game of finding a better qb, even if he has reached his ceiling. 

Dak still has a ways to go in reading defenses, at the LOS and in play.  This is often done with game reps and film work and QBs, as they gather experience, generally get better at this.  At least the ones who stick around do.  How quickly he deciphers information, translates it and makes a decision can always get better as he understands things to look for better.  Dak is 27 years old.  He can absolutely get better and probably will.  Same with Watson but most of their potential improvement will be mental, not physical.  They were probably physically maxed out a few years ago.  

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Dak still has a ways to go in reading defenses, at the LOS and in play.  This is often done with game reps and film work and QBs, as they gather experience, generally get better at this.  At least the ones who stick around do.  How quickly he deciphers information, translates it and makes a decision can always get better as he understands things to look for better.  Dak is 27 years old.  He can absolutely get better and probably will.  Same with Watson but most of their potential improvement will be mental, not physical.  They were probably physically maxed out a few years ago.  

I get that, but I think it’s safe to assume that Dak is about to start losing some of his athleticism. 

Just to be clear, I’m very clearly in the pay Dak whatever it’s going to take to get it done, camp. It would just be nice if we did it before the bills paid josh Allen. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Brandin Cooks was their #1 and he actually had an outstanding year.  He played in those games and had huge games down the stretch.  Texans had a bottom 3 defense by what measure?  I'm going to assume yardage which isn't the best way to judge defenses but they weren't good in any context, but neither were the Tennessee or Cincinnati (without Burrow) defenses Houston got to play.  Watson's a really good player, so not trying to dump on the guy, but he won 4 fucking games, 2 of which were against Jacksonville.  I like Watson and he's a fantastic talent, if he gets out of Houston he could take it up a level but he's not an elite guy..... not yet.  His QBR was exactly the same this season as it was when they were 11-5 last season, that's curious.

The Texans were in the bottom ten in the league for every defensive category (yards, ppg, dead last in rush yards, pass yards, turnovers).  The Texans lost 8 one score games (within 8 points).  If they have just an average defense they win a lot of those games.  And how does wide receiver have a big year?  When a QB has a big year.  I'm done arguing this point because you and Dr Beeper have your minds made up that somehow Watson isn't elite because he plays for one of the few franchises worse than the Cowboys.