Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Dickel has an overpowering charcoal taste in my opinion, and I think it’s based on how they execute the Lincoln County method. Dickel runs distillate through charcoal in a vat and later drains it. While Jack runs the distillate straight through charcoal like a Brita filter. 

Ezra Brooks 7 Barrel Strength is a personal favorite of mine, so I don’t hate all Lincoln County style whiskeys. It’s contract distilled for Luxco by Heaven Hill. The charcoal is faint upfront and later dissipates. I suspect their method is similar to Jack Daniel’s. 

The Dickel 13 year Bottled in Bond has received good reviews and should be a great inexpensive bourbon on paper, but it tastes terrible to me. It’s possible my palate is charcoal sensitive, but plenty of people don’t like Dickel, so I’m not without company. 

That's interesting. I feel almost the exact opposite way. To me Dickel has the least charcoal flavor to go with less ass odor than JD. 

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's interesting. I feel almost the exact opposite way. To me Dickel has the least charcoal flavor to go with less ass odor than JD. 

To each his own. I don’t like Jack very much either, but it’ll work in a pinch like an open bar. Heritage is the only Jack bottle that’ll I’ll buy on sight. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The Rare Breed will go on allocation prediction concerns me, but I don’t think it will happen. There’s no age statement for one. There’s also not a single barrel/store pick program. And finally Rare Breed isn’t a limited/special release. These are cornerstones of the flipper/tater market. The author appears to know his stuff, and he probably picked his favorite shelf regular to make a point. 

I guess it could happen if the dusties give up on hunting old bottles of 101 and pivot to Rare Breed. The Wild Turkey fanbase is small but pretty tribal. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Rare Breed will go on allocation prediction concerns me, but I don’t think it will happen. There’s no age statement for one. There’s also not a single barrel/store pick program. And finally Rare Breed isn’t a limited/special release. These are cornerstones of the flipper/tater market. The author appears to know his stuff, and he probably picked his favorite shelf regular to make a point. 

I guess it could happen if the dusties give up on hunting old bottles of 101 and pivot to Rare Breed. The Wild Turkey fanbase is small but pretty tribal. 

The would suck. I'm a big fan of the 116. Guess it's time to grab a case or 6.

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t think we’re there yet. I believe the author was speculating. Wild Turkey has plenty of inventory, and they of course make their own distillate.

That's good to hear.  You usually don't find more than a bottle or 2 of the Rare Breed as it it is now.  One of the nice things we have around here is the state ABC website that allows you to look for inventory on shelves anywhere in your area, and things you can special order for pick up in a store.  kinda takes the fun out of the chance find, but I'll take it.

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I trust you're giving them solid advice, like buy cheap bourbon, Old panther is just as good as Blantons, or Weller, or ER,  etc., and always buy your local distillers offerings, they're fresher than that shit coming from Kentucky, I mean they have to be better cause they usually run about $60 or more.

Or better yet, all 'em to forget bourbon, drink scotch, it's better than bourbon all around.

Haha, very funny post. I keep my advice very general and usually answer questions if something is any good or not. 

I have a soft spot in my heart for them because a slightly older coworker is the person that got me into bourbon. 

Some general observations: 

- Their palettes are pretty limited. They’ll shy away from higher proof stuff and some  refuse to drink ryes. One told me that Antique was “a little too hot”. I’m sure this is welcome news for this thread. 

- They’re resigned to their fate on never buying Pappy at the store. To most youngsters, Pappy is something you spend $1,000 for your brother’s wedding. 

- They’re brand snobs. Every Evans Williams, Wild Turkey, Ezra Brooks, and Beam suggestion I make falls on deaf ears. Four Roses Single Barrel seems to be the affordable fan favorite.

- Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, and Weller Special Reserve are familiar and coveted within their age group. Weller 12 has become so hard to find that many have never tasted it. 

- I know they’re making good money, but many are hesitant to go over $60 on bottle. I’ve been asked if 1910 is worth the money before. 

Basically, I think they’ll continue to gobble up Blanton’s and Eagle Rare, but many of our fan favorites appear safe. 

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's good to hear.  You usually don't find more than a bottle or 2 of the Rare Breed as it it is now.  One of the nice things we have around here is the state ABC website that allows you to look for inventory on shelves anywhere in your area, and things you can special order for pick up in a store.  kinda takes the fun out of the chance find, but I'll take it.

Goody Goody is only major liquor store in Texas that does this to my knowledge. You can look up a product and see exactly how many bottles they have at each store. 

Total Wine is very hit or miss when a product is listed as “limited quantity”. I always call first before I put it in my cart. I do like their website. Very easy to use, and their store pick up program is very convenient. 

Spec’s website is difficult to use and there is no in store pick up. But perhaps this by design? 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Haha, very funny post. I keep my advice very general and usually answer questions if something is any good or not. 

I have a soft spot in my heart for them because a slightly older coworker is the person that got me into bourbon. 

Some general observations: 

- Their palettes are pretty limited. They’ll shy away from higher proof stuff and some  refuse to drink ryes. One told me that Antique was “a little too hot”. I’m sure this is welcome news for this thread. 

- They’re resigned to their fate on never buying Pappy at the store. To most youngsters, Pappy is something you spend $1,000 for your brother’s wedding. 

- They’re brand snobs. Every Evans Williams, Wild Turkey, Ezra Brooks, and Beam suggestion I make falls on deaf ears. Four Roses Single Barrel seems to be the affordable fan favorite.

- Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, and Weller Special Reserve are familiar and coveted within their age group. Weller 12 has become so hard to find that many have never tasted it. 

- I know they’re making good money, but many are hesitant to go over $60 on bottle. I’ve been asked if 1910 is worth the money before. 

Basically, I think they’ll continue to gobble up Blanton’s and Eagle Rare, but many of our fan favorites appear safe. 

Yep, all very true, and accurate points.  It's a little similar to the cigar craze back in the late 80's in to the 90's. There were the unicorns out there that every guy who'd just taken up smoking chased with a vengeance, But there was so much in the $5-$7 range per stick that would smoke just as well as the expensive $25 Cuban (that had probably been abused in its storage) or the fabled Opus XXX. 

I have spending limits on a per bottle basis. I'll drop $65 all day on a bourbon I really want, but not much more than that (diminishing returns on taste at a certain. point IMO), unless it was something really old, and rare as shit. I won't hesitate to drop a $100 on a choice tawny port though (one of my favorite liquids on Earth).

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Goody Goody is only major liquor store in Texas that does this to my knowledge. You can look up a product and see exactly how many bottles they have at each store. 

Total Wine is very hit or miss when a product is listed as “limited quantity”. I always call first before I put it in my cart. I do like their website. Very easy to use, and their store pick up program is very convenient. 

Spec’s website is difficult to use and there is no in store pick up. But perhaps this by design? 

That's the great thing about state controlled ABC stores.  Always retail prices, and that supply look up/ order system, at least here in Va.

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are y’all on a lottery system for Pappy and BTAC? I would hate that. 

Once a year  they do a Pappy lottery (33,000 entries or so this year I heard from a store manager).  Other than that I haven't seen a bottle of Pappy in the wild in at least 5 years.  My mom actually won the Pappy lottery one year, and they cracked it before I could tell her we could sell it for her on the secondary market, and fill her bar for close to a year with the profits.

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Once a year  they do a Pappy lottery (33,000 entries or so this year I heard from a store manager).  Other than that I haven't seen a bottle of Pappy in the wild in at least 5 years.  My mom actually won the Pappy lottery one year, and they cracked it before I could tell her we could sell it for her on the secondary market, and fill her bar for close to a year with the profits.

Silly Mom...

76099c00fc258e6b0986d320d570ac0b.jpg

Oh man.
WLW and THH are incredible.
THH is really oily and has a great rye spice.
WLW is liquid smooth velvet. Both have a wonderful long finish.
GTS drinks a lot hotter than the 116.9 to me. Not quite the long finish as the others,
but every bit as tasty.

Gotta put these 19’s in this order:
1. WLW
2. 4R SmbLE
3. THH
4. OFBB
5. GTS

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Oh man.
GTS drinks a lot hotter than the 116.9 to me. Not quite the long finish as the others,
but every bit as tasty.

1. WLW
2. 4R SmbLE
3. THH
4. OFBB
5. GTS

Handy is my favorite rye ever. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Oh man.
but every bit as tasty.

1. WLW
2. 4R SmbLE
3. THH
4. OFBB
5. GTS

4R SmBLE going hard in the paint 

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Got an $8 pour of ER BTAC last night at Esquire Tavern. Meh

After 5 more cocktails  finished the night with 2 fingers of Handy BTAC. Always a treat. Also, i fucking love Esquire. Without a  doubt, the second best bar in Texas

I want to go to there. 

Please tell me your No. 1 is in Houston. 

• Like 2

We stopped by Sagamore here in Baltimore last week and finally did the tour, which was excellent. Got to try 4 of their rye offerings along with two limited releases: a rum barrel and a cognac which was housed in 30yo Remy barrels.

Highly recommend the tour if you’re in town and their rye in general.

7c29f282beb6b7fc98d021670e076530.jpg1d3db68f333ca4c4375b783c71c44b49.jpg7369942948d17e6933c4e8f447e50a59.jpg036b9abb06e5c64c1391336be5c511b1.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

We stopped by Sagamore here in Baltimore last week and finally did the tour, which was excellent. Got to try 4 of their rye offerings along with two limited releases: a rum barrel and a cognac which was housed in 30yo Remy barrels.

7c29f282beb6b7fc98d021670e076530.jpg1d3db68f333ca4c4375b783c71c44b49.jpg7369942948d17e6933c4e8f447e50a59.jpg036b9abb06e5c64c1391336be5c511b1.jpg

36 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Which offering was your favorite? Great distillery. They’re certainly on the list. 

Which offering was your favorite? Great distillery. They’re certainly on the list. 

Their Double Oak is outstanding and I also enjoy the Cask Strength.

Did a little stock analysis after the holiday dent and moved things around. I keep telling people that I don’t have a problem.m, but they’re not apt to believe me...

ef9e7cbdfa742c38bb06349c074525dc.jpg
  • Like 2