Bourbon

Jimbaround

WhistlePig PiggyBack tonight. It's definitely a WhistlePig rye. It's early, but it tastes pretty good. Better than the 6 year old Sazerac Rye and smoother than Old Forester Rye. Kind of a funky mouth feel, but I don't drink many, if any, 100% rye mashbills. I'd say the price point is about right. 

PiggyBack was Dave Pickerell's final project before he passed. RIP. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

6 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Brodie

Seems like maybe there is some variation store to store. My store seems to run a local list for Blantons and W12, and the corporate lists for the other allocated releases. When I picked up the blantons they just put me back into the local queue at the bottom of the list. 

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Seems like maybe there is some variation store to store. My store seems to run a local list for Blantons and W12, and the corporate lists for the other allocated releases. When I picked up the blantons they just put me back into the local queue at the bottom of the list. 

Houston has very few advantages over Austin, but bourbon and Mexican food appear to be the clear victors. 

They should just put it out on the shelf.
  • Like 2

I’ve gotten W12 there a few times without being on a list. I just asked one of the guys if they had any (after seeing it on here) and they went to the back and got me a bottle. Yesterday the manager that looked like he was 17 scoffed at that and said I needed to be on the list and use my card every time and have my friends use it and blah blah blah...

18 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They should just put it out on the shelf.

Was at a specs in Houston last week and noticed another customer had a bottle of ER in is basket, had to ask for one since they were keeping them in the back. Said they had a few cases of blantons but sold out the day before, asked why they don't just put on the shelf, said they didn't want hoarders buying them all up.  

I would think a limit 1 per person or having one on display in a case with an inquire sign would be better for the consumer

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dogfishhead said:

2c83bcf68db6874aab9355b2f7c54d11.jpg

A taste test. WLW so much spicier and weller 12 so mellow. The spice makes WLW a lot more interesting. Back to back tasting makes weller 12 boring which is crazy to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty new to the bourbon craze. But I have a question for you. 

When I try to taste the flavors of Weller, Stagg, etc. I find the only way I can actually taste things like sugars, charcoal, or fruits. Is to add just a little water. I understand it dilutes it, but it appears I am unable to differentiate any flavor without adding water.

What is your method? I would like to educate myself on this so I can actually tell the difference in a blind test. 

When I try to taste the flavors of Weller, Stagg, etc. I find the only way I can actually taste things like sugars, charcoal, or fruits. Is to add just a little water. I understand it dilutes it, but it appears I am unable to differentiate any flavor without adding water.
What is your method? I would like to educate myself on this so I can actually tell the difference in a blind test. 

I don’t have a refined palate so I needed to taste them back to back but the difference was significant in favor of the WLW. This question is better for heavy hitters like bozocasanova or bigswinginD...

• Like 1

Was at a specs in Houston last week and noticed another customer had a bottle of ER in is basket, had to ask for one since they were keeping them in the back. Said they had a few cases of blantons but sold out the day before, asked why they don't just put on the shelf, said they didn't want hoarders buying them all up.  
I would think a limit 1 per person or having one on display in a case with an inquire sign would be better for the consumer

That’s a good idea.

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

If you are like me, you might not be able to tell the difference anyway.  I've tried Weller SR, Weller 12 and Weller 107 in blind tastings neat and with one cube of ice.  They are very similar to me but I can pick out the 107 because of the higher alcohol.  But the SR and 12 were identical to me in a blind tasting.  And I love them both, but I know that there's no reason for me to make an effort to search for the Weller 12.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HouTex said:

If you are like me, you might not be able to tell the difference anyway.  I've tried Weller SR, Weller 12 and Weller 107 in blind tastings neat and with one cube of ice.  They are very similar to me but I can pick out the 107 because of the higher alcohol.  But the SR and 12 were identical to me in a blind tasting.  And I love them both, but I know that there's no reason for me to make an effort to search for the Weller 12.

Here is a generic review of Blanton’s. If you can taste all of this I’m fucking impressed..

taste profile is sweet, with notes of citrus and oak. The creamy vanilla nose is teased with caramel and butterscotch, all underscored by familiar baking spices such as clove, nutmeg, or cinnamon.

I just opened up a bottle of Blanton’s (rick 35, 11/17) and the best I can taste is the oak, and I guess some type of spice. If I don’t add a drop of water I am unable to taste any sugar..

i guess what I’m tryng to rationalize is that why I don’t mind spending big money on a special bottle (Hell I have already done that). I would just like to know my dumb ass can tell the difference.

21 hours ago, Dogfishhead said:

2c83bcf68db6874aab9355b2f7c54d11.jpg

A taste test. WLW so much spicier and weller 12 so mellow. The spice makes WLW a lot more interesting. Back to back tasting makes weller 12 boring which is crazy to say

I don't think any one would ever confuse Weller 12 as a super elite bourbon. It's smooth, has some complexity, and it's $25 MSRP. I think the price/age statement/wheater is the big draw for bourbon hunters. Flippers love it because they make 800% profit on it. 

I've always liked Antique better. Buffalo Trace is a strange company. You'd think Weller 12, not Antique, would catch the price increase. It was a curious move. I'd recommend combining the two and making Poor Man's Pappy if you have the means. It amplifies both. 

I drank a bottle of WLW over Thanksgiving, and a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle over Christmas. ORVW was better. WLW was great, but I kept coming back to, it tastes like a cask strength Weller 12. 

• Like 1

Totally normal. It’s very common to open up a whiskey with a little water, and typically the hotter/high alc, the more difficult to pick up what’s going on.

But I’m not a supernose, and very few people are. I hear the chords and can tell if everything is on-key, but can’t isolate the notes as well as some.

What has helped me the most is to get comfortable with my own vocabulary to describe what I’m getting and not worry about whether I get what others do-

For example, upthread I talked about Old Forester 1910. Others might describe that as “cocoa, butter, vanilla, toffee, graham cracker”, etc, I describe the combination- “a Twix”.

Anyway- one of the reasons why I prefer bourbon in the 80-93ish range is because that’s where I dan discern the clearest combination of flavors and smells in that range. So if you want to add water to get wherever that is for you, do it. Some serious wine people do that with red wine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smax said:

Thank God they didn't limit one per customer on Henry McKenna Single Barrel. I bought 5 and felt like I should have bought more. 2019 was a terrific year. 

The "we don't have any Blanton's" BS is the why everybody hates Spec's.They probably have at least two dozen bottles in the store at all times. 

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Totally normal. It’s very common to open up a whiskey with a little water, and typically the hotter/high alc, the more difficult to pick up what’s going on.

But I’m not a supernose, and very few people are. I hear the chords and can tell if everything is on-key, but can’t isolate the notes as well as some.

What has helped me the most is to get comfortable with my own vocabulary to describe what I’m getting and not worry about whether I get what others do-

For example, upthread I talked about Old Forester 1910. Others might describe that as “cocoa, butter, vanilla, toffee, graham cracker”, etc, I describe the combination- “a Twix”.

Anyway- one of the reasons why I prefer bourbon in the 80-93ish range is because that’s where I dan discern the clearest combination of flavors and smells in that range. So if you want to add water to get wherever that is for you, do it. Some serious wine people do that with red wine.

Evans Williams Single Barrel and 1910 are the top sub 95 proofers sitting on the shelf. Evan Williams Single Barrel is under proofed, but damn it's complex, has a little ass to it, and is very good. If it were 100 proof, it'd be McKenna 10. 

• Like 2

I often add a few drops of water to higher proofs,  especially 2015 WLW and the hazmat GTS’s. It’s a fascinating evolution to try a sip neat and then along the way as you gradually add drops. The profile changes quite dramatically and you can start picking apart the component flavors. Nothing wrong at all with that. 

• Like 4

I often add a few drops of water to higher proofs,  especially 2015 WLW and the hazmat GTS’s. It’s a fascinating evolution to try a sip neat and then along the way as you gradually add drops. The profile changes quite dramatically and you can start picking apart the component flavors. Nothing wrong at all with that. 

I do the same.

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I can't understand how this is possible... but California...

Me too....wife was amazed at how excited I was...and how quickly I grabbed it off the shelf.  This is the same market that had 12 bottles of Blanton's on the shelf.  I went up to the manager to see how many bottles I could buy, and he gave me a strange look and asked "well, how much money do you have?"

On 1/5/2020 at 9:48 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Your 1910 recommendation was spot on. Stuff is righteous. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Evans Williams Single Barrel and 1910 are the top sub 95 proofers sitting on the shelf. Evan Williams Single Barrel is under proofed, but damn it's complex, has a little ass to it, and is very good. If it were 100 proof, it'd be McKenna 10. 

Shhhhhhh . . .

On 1/5/2020 at 6:09 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't think any one would ever confuse Weller 12 as a super elite bourbon. It's smooth, has some complexity, and it's $25 MSRP. I think the price/age statement/wheater is the big draw for bourbon hunters. Flippers love it because they make 800% profit on it. 

I've always liked Antique better. Buffalo Trace is a strange company. You'd think Weller 12, not Antique, would catch the price increase. It was a curious move. I'd recommend combining the two and making Poor Man's Pappy if you have the means. It amplifies both. 

I drank a bottle of WLW over Thanksgiving, and a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle over Christmas. ORVW was better. WLW was great, but I kept coming back to, it tastes like a cask strength Weller 12. 

I prefer the W12 over Antique. But not by much.

I have bottles of W12, Antique and ORVW.

I've had the opportunity to try the W12, Antique, PMP and ORVW side by side and I prefer

ORVW>PMP>W12>Antique.

IMHO, the PMP is clearly worth the trouble if you have the W12, Antique and some Kentucky limestone water on hand.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:51 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Thank God they didn't limit one per customer on Henry McKenna Single Barrel. I bought 5 and felt like I should have bought more. 2019 was a terrific year. 

The "we don't have any Blanton's" BS is the why everybody hates Spec's.They probably have at least two dozen bottles in the store at all times. 

Got dam. If I see 5 Henry McKennas on the shelf, I’m gonna do the exact same. I really miss being able to walk into any liquor store and pick up a bottle for like $25. 

You seem to be a Balcones Brand Ambassador good sir. 

Only one of their offerings I didn’t really care for was the Rumble.
The Single Malt, True Blue Cask Strength, and the Wheated Bourbon are all outstanding.
Still bummed I missed out on this year’s Wheated, it was only a single barrel release this year and I wasn’t able to get to the distillery.
Not sure how the staff select single malt made it up here in DFW, but damn sure glad it did.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Got dam. If I see 5 Henry McKennas on the shelf, I’m gonna do the exact same. I really miss being able to walk into any liquor store and pick up a bottle for like $25. 

Heaven Hill aficionados, I know it’s a single barrel program, but have ironed out the inconsistencies Henry McKenna 10? 2019 was great, but I didn’t like 2017. 

It’s hilarious to read Reddit reviews where posters s*** all over EWBiB while they worship HM10. 90% of them couldn’t tell the difference in a blind taste test. 

r/bourbon is an interesting thread, but there are some horrible takes. Some examples: Maker’s Mark Stave is better than Antique, Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength is a C- bourbon, one poster mistook Weller 12 for Old Forester Rye in a blind tasting, another poster suggested opening a bottle of Michter’s Barrel Strength Rye and letting it sit for a year. My point is, much like Horns247 there are some good posts buried in bad takes from false experts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Only one of their offerings I didn’t really care for was the Rumble.
The Single Malt, True Blue Cask Strength, and the Wheated Bourbon are all outstanding.
Still bummed I missed out on this year’s Wheated, it was only a single barrel release this year and I wasn’t able to get to the distillery.
Not sure how the staff select single malt made it up here in DFW, but damn sure glad it did.

You seem to be an expert on Balcones, so I have to ask, why don’t they age anything longer than 2 years? 

45 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

+1.  Still pisses me off that my local place jacked the price on it up to 100 fucking dollars after it won the San Fran competition and Minnick talked it up.  

You seem to be an expert on Balcones, so I have to ask, why don’t they age anything longer than 2 years? 

They do now.
Single Malt and Wheated are both a little over 3 years.
Texas Whisky ages different than Kentucky since our summers are hotter and winters are milder. Process is much faster here. I don’t recall seeing any Texas whisky or bourbon over 4 years at any distillery.

Small sample size, but from what I’ve seen MGP appears be running extremely low/maybe out of 10+ year bourbons. Many of the sourcing brands have turned to Dickel for aged product. It was a nice run while it lasted.

It might be time to stock up on Bulleitt 12 Year Rye. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

They do now.
Single Malt and Wheated are both a little over 3 years.
Texas Whisky ages different than Kentucky since our summers are hotter and winters are milder. Process is much faster here. I don’t recall seeing any Texas whisky or bourbon over 4 years at any distillery.

Garrison brothers flagship bourbon is almost 4 years old at this point

GB single barrel is 4 years old

Balmorrhea is 4 years old

Cowboy Bourbon is almost 7 years old now