2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

Has there ever been a more 9.95 garbage tidbit of “intel” ever written?
I could have written that sitting right here in my office..couple hundred miles away from Austin. Makes me wonder if these guys even bother attending practice..
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Love the news about Owens, because that's where I think he will maximize. Safety depth is a question, though.

We've got guys there for this season plus a potential elite class coming in next year. Owens would be a freak backer if the light comes on for him. He has elite traits for that position.

Edited by Vertigo

I still have doubts whether TO has the tackling instincts to play in the box, but that will get resolved soon enough. Assuming TO is capable, real question is can TO and DMO play at the same time, or are they too similar and need a Mike to help fill gaps and stop the run? 

I was excited to pair DMO with Ford or Gbenda. But I guess you could put TO and DMO out there against spread teams and then see how they hold up against the run. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I don't think we need our inside linebackers to carry that kind of weight in this era of football, anyway.

We will need elite DL play with undersized backers in the middle. Especially against the Oklahomas and Ohio States of the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

Owens to LB needed to happen both for the good of the team and Owens but we needed buy-in from him. From the looks of social media looks like he he's pumped about it and he's getting lots of positive feedback on it so that's awesome all around. 

If Schooler is looking passable at safety it helps absorb the hit but things still look a little thin there. I haven't heard a word about Estelle at WR, wonder if there is a chance he'd flip back. I guess they could also use the loser of the nickel battle (Adimora/Cook) at safety in a pinch. 

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I will go on a limb and predict that Tyler Owens will not gain 36 pounds of good weight in four months.

the NC2A has a testing program for this kind of thing, I suggest we let them handle it. and it's not that hard to gain 35 pounds over summer, if you hit the gym real hard.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Askew said:

I still have doubts whether TO has the tackling instincts to play in the box, but that will get resolved soon enough. Assuming TO is capable, real question is can TO and DMO play at the same time, or are they too similar and need a Mike to help fill gaps and stop the run? 

I was excited to pair DMO with Ford or Gbenda. But I guess you could put TO and DMO out there against spread teams and then see how they hold up against the run. 

46 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We will need elite DL play with undersized backers in the middle. Especially against the Oklahomas and Ohio States of the world.

It’s 2021 folks. Defenses don’t need thumpers at ILB. Playing in the 220s is just fine for our ILBs. There are very few guys in the country who can play at 240 and not get abused in coverage at the college level. 

We also have a ton of protection up front for them with Coburn, Collins, and Sweat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s 2021 folks. Defenses don’t need thumpers at ILB. Playing in the 220s is just fine for our ILBs. There are very few guys in the country who can play at 240 and not get abused in coverage at the college level. 

We also have a ton of protection up front for them with Coburn, Collins, and Sweat. 

TO is at 204. He's not going to play in the 220's. DMO is at 217, he's not going to play in the 220's. 

So the plan was you take the undersized guy and play him with a Gbenda or Ford who will play in the 220's. That is still traditionally undersized, but it made sense when you have the larger 4-down front with two big DTs. 

I don't know how that works if TO plays at less than 210. Adimora was playing Nickel at 214. 

1 minute ago, futureman said:

nobody just gains three pounds over 6 months. 

DMO proved that he doesn't need any extra weight to be effective and durable in the BIG 12. He already gained the ~10 extra pounds he needed to play LB. He was listed at 210 in 2019. They aren't going to size him up just so that he can be a larger body. They want his explosion from last year, with better play recognition. No need to change his body composition for that. 

So yeah, maybe DMO puts on the arbitrary three pounds to get to the 220's, but the point remains that TO is currently really undersized to pair with DMO. We also have seen what it looks like when guys put on too much weight in the offseason (Adimora, Keaontay). So anything more than 10 pounds on TO's frame would likely not be healthy. 

I could live with DMO at 217 and TO at 214. But they'd have to prove it works on the field. Juwan did a lot of the dirty work last year.

5 minutes ago, Askew said:

DMO proved that he doesn't need any extra weight to be effective and durable in the BIG 12. He already gained the ~10 extra pounds he needed to play LB. He was listed at 210 in 2019. They aren't going to size him up just so that he can be a larger body. They want his explosion from last year, with better play recognition. No need to change his body composition for that. 

So yeah, maybe DMO puts on the arbitrary three pounds to get to the 220's, but the point remains that TO is currently really undersized to pair with DMO. We also have seen what it looks like when guys put on too much weight in the offseason (Adimora, Keaontay). So anything more than 10 pounds on TO's frame would likely not be healthy. 

I could live with DMO at 217 and TO at 214. But they'd have to prove it works on the field. Juwan did a lot of the dirty work last year.

Juwan was listed at 220 as a senior last season, he also sucked ass. TO was listed at 204 as a soph, you are way overthinking this.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I will go on a limb and predict that Tyler Owens will not gain 36 pounds of good weight in four months.

50 minutes ago, futureman said:

the NC2A has a testing program for this kind of thing, I suggest we let them handle it. and it's not that hard to gain 35 pounds over summer, if you hit the gym real hard.

Lattimer Starting Defense - The Program on Make a GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Lattimer Starting Defense - The Program on Make a GIF

I can gain 8lbs over a cheesecake and a weekend. 12lbs if I weigh at the strip club. This brings up another point. My wife put on a lot of good weight when she was PG. If she can do it, I'm sure TO can.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I can gain 8lbs over a cheesecake and a weekend. 12lbs if I weigh at the strip club. This brings up another point. My wife put on a lot of good weight when she was PG. If she can do it, I'm sure TO can.

Rated X is where they really burn some calories.

If you’re getting constant pressure from Collins/Coburn/Sweat/Broughton/Jones/Thornton/Davis(if he’s coming)/Dorbah you’ll be just fine with TO playing backer at 210.  

Also looking at the spring roster, some of y’all have overestimated some weights.  These are our listed LBs

Gbenda- 220

Ford - 221

DO- 217

Tillman - 235

Hullaby - 225

Cooks - 218

Harris - 225

Thorton is a DE/LB hybrid at 242 as is Dorbah at 226.  Davis is listed at 250 on Bamas site.  

With those two freak athletes being in the middle and the hell of a rotation in the secondary we could see (Jamison, Dunn, Thompson, Cook at CB with experience and Thompson, Foster, Adimora, Schooler with S experience plus names mentioned in Barron and Crawford), the D side of the ball looks scary athletic.  RB gets a hand off and if he makes it around Collins he’s then chased down by Owens and DO.   Fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Askew said:

I'd look at Owens as Overshown's replacement. He'll need a year to learn the position. Would be cool to seem them together though. They'd be an even more athletic combo than Malik + Gary Johnson, which coincidentally was the last time both starters at the position were good. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

11 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'd look at Owens as Overshown's replacement. He'll need a year to learn the position. Would be cool to seem them together though. They'd be an even more athletic combo than Malik + Gary Johnson, which coincidentally was the last time both starters at the position were good. 

Precisely what I was thinking.  

I’m sure Becton will get TO to 220 or 221. Whatever it takes.

How many running backs are over that weight nowadays anyway. Give me speed over size in our conference any day.

Also, it is really good news that these coaches have already been able to build enough trust to have that conversation with Owens and not only have him accept it, but seem to be excited about it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jinx said:

I’m sure Becton will get TO to 220 or 221. Whatever it takes.

How many running backs are over that weight nowadays anyway. Give me speed over size in our conference any day.

Also, it is really good news that these coaches have already been able to build enough trust to have that conversation with Owens and not only have him accept it, but seem to be excited about it.  

Crazy what happens when kids play for a coach that isn’t a dickhead 

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

We gotta figure out a practice facility guys. 

Yeah there's this little project going on in the South Endzone right now, but I agree that freeway-side practice field never made any sense. Gotta smell like hobo piss and diesel fumes right there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1