Vic Mackey

30 For 30 On Michael Jordan: The Last Dance

Said this on the Netflix thread - was a Rockets fan, really didn't have much interest in seeing this when it originally aired, but it's good and very polished.  Doesn't change my opinion on the Bulls, and doesn't shed a lot of new light for me - I religiously followed the Rockets in the late 80s into the late 90s, so I was aware of a lot of stuff.  But well-done.

I’m sure rockets fans thank the basketball gods every day for Jordan’s first retirement.

Just finished this and even though I was a Barkley fan back then, my god Jordan was just astounding. I am very happy I got to grow up in that era of the NBA. I never watch now. 

I’m on episode 6 I think, but I agree Bird-Magic-Michael was the golden era of NBA basketball. It was the best sport out there. Even NCAA had a hard time keeping my attention with these teams. Of course around the same time we had some of the all time great NCAA tourney games like UK-Duke in the regional finals. I think maybe the evolution of the game with a balance between the speed and athleticism and the bang it out down low, 3-point shot, and fast breaks versus the isolation of the big guys in the paint gave the game a lot more variation. To be honest the current game isn’t fun to watch like the late 80s, early 90s. At least for me.

Just finished. Man the Bulls were the most clutch team I’ve ever witnessed. Just utter domination when the seconds mattered. MJs smile and laughter after winning juxtaposed to his intensity actually shows how hard it has to be him. Capable of such joy but rarely there. Kinda feel for him. His comments about Zen and being present which sound like he took that on from his coach are dead on though. We can change the past, the future isn’t here yet, being present is it. One commentator said that what made MJ stand out was his ability to be in the moment fully like no one else. Athletic sure but a lot of guys are comparable but they don’t have his mental aspects. Crazy to hear him say yeah he wanted to try for 7 but he wasn’t interested in rebuilding. He felt like he was at the top of his game. Thought he was better than when he had more energy because he was fully using his mind to play the game. That last 20 minutes was beautiful. God I loved growing up watching MJ.

This series was fantastic. Definitely did not think it was going to be this good. Good job by the people who put this together to have all the people they did be interviewed and tell their stories. I was a teen in Michael's second 3-peat run. I did not remember any of his first 3 peat or what he went through before all his winning.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Definitely did not think it was going to be this good. Good job by the people who put this together to have all the people they did be interviewed and tell their stories.

The MJ stuff was definitely interesting, but I was more interested in a lot of the people they were interviewing - Steve Kerr, Pippen, Reggie Miller, etc.

This was a pretty monumental undertaking.  They could have easily just focused on the footage and the last season, but they did a fantastic job of threading a lot of different stories and players together through the years.

Edited by atomheartbevo