Heating my garage

I live in Indiana. Winters are cold af. Quite the shock moving from Austin and I have not got used to it in 10 yrs. I love my garage in the summer and fall. TV is in there and smoker. It's my escape. I hate shutting it down in the winter. I said NO MORE! Bought this torpedo kerosene heater for this winter. Cant wait for it to get here. Any tips or ways others have heated their garages? 

Capture.PNG

• Hook 'Em 1

I live in Indiana. Winters are cold af. Quite the shock moving from Austin and I have not got used to it in 10 yrs. I love my garage in the summer and fall. TV is in there and smoker. It's my escape. I hate shutting it down in the winter. I said NO MORE! Bought this torpedo kerosene heater for this winter. Cant wait for it to get here. Any tips or ways others have heated their garages? 

Capture.thumb.PNG.542625702bb90ca16323cf5eee7dc066.PNG
Leave the door open so you don't asphyxiate yourself.
  • Haha 1

I agree with Chewbacca. Although, if you are running a smoker in the garage, perhaps you have built up an immunity to contained noxious fumes. 

Keep this list handy and seek medical care before you get to the last symptom.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

• Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

I was worried about any fumes so I bought a CO detector. It's a really big 3 car garage (1000 sq/ft) so any wall mounted system was going to require me to run a gas line which would be super expensive. I didn't want to drop tons of money on running a line and a very big natural gas wall mounted garage heater. Probably would be over 2k all together to do that. I would be well above $1K having to run a line. I have been around these. They are loud. And yes, in the winter or while raining I will smoke with one garage door open and the end poking out of the garage. It works well unless the wind changes directions. Then I've had my entire garage look like a gas chamber. 

Edited by Passive Aggressive Coach

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Just make sure your using the 1-K or K1 clean kerosene and vent the garage some (open/crack door/window) and should be fine. Also keep kids away obviously as they get real hot.

Probably the cheapest/easiest option I can think of.

That's what I thought and yes I have some windows in the garage I will crack and along with CO monitor I feel it is pretty safe. I wont burn diesel in it even though $1 gallon cheaper because I heard that really stinks.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Unfortunately the garage is 1000 sq/ft and that only kicks out 14K BTU. I need much more than that. I dont think any electric would work tbh.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, topochico said:

I agree with Chewbacca. Although, if you are running a smoker in the garage, perhaps you have built up an immunity to contained noxious fumes. 

Keep this list handy and seek medical care before you get to the last symptom.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

• Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

Sounds like symptoms of watching a Longhorn game.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was worried about any fumes so I bought a CO detector. It's a really big 3 car garage (1000 sq/ft) so any wall mounted system was going to require me to run a gas line which would be super expensive. I didn't want to drop tons of money on running a line and a very big natural gas wall mounted garage heater. Probably would be over 2k all together to do that. I would be well above $1K having to run a line. I have been around these. They are loud. And yes, in the winter or while raining I will smoke with one garage door open and the end poking out of the garage. It works well unless the wind changes directions. Then I've had my entire garage look like a gas chamber. 

It’s worth it.

Yeah but how do I get it to 75?  OP I’ve used what you are using and also the porch heaters.   Make sure you vent well, before you die. Next house is going to have proper HVAC in garage.  

The thermometer on the wall next to the garage opener lol

I keep mine at 55-60 because all of that heat escapes when you open a garage door and it’s -10 outside.

12 hours ago, tbone_ said:
On 11/6/2021 at 7:24 AM, topochico said:

Signs and symptoms of Texas Football watching may include:

• Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

That's true. I could get symptoms confused. OK, can't watch horns in the garage now. 

• 2 weeks later...