Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Where did Texas signees land in final 247Sports Top 150 rankings update?

ByHUDSON STANDISH 4 hours ago

With the high school season finished and all postseason showcases wrapped up, 247Sports has updated the Class of 2022 rankings for a final time, and the Texas Longhorns rank as the 5th best class nationally and 2nd in the Big12 behind the defending champion Kansas Jayhawks.

The top five class put together by Chris Beard features three top 150 players in Dillon Mitchell, Arterio Morris, and Rowan Brumbaugh along with composite No. 189 Alex Anamekwe who was a late addition to the class.

Here's a look at where the future Horns landed in the updated Top247 as they prepare for year two of the Chris Beard era in Austin and the opening of the Moody Center for the 2022-2023 basketball season.

Dillon Mitchell | Montverde Academy (Fl.) | SF, 6-7, 200

Top247 Ranking: 5-star, No. 7 overall, 99 rating

Change since last update: +9

Updated 247Sports Composite: 5-star, No. 5 overall, 0.9982 rating

"At 6-7 has a long and thin build. Does need to build strength but has electric athleticism. Bouncy and runs like a gazelle. One of the top athletes in the 2022 class. A lefty with a sidewinder shot. His long distance shot is his main weakness, but it is improving and solid in the midrange. Excels at attacking the rim and finishing with authority. Is a high level rebounder who can initiate the break. Handles the ball well and sees the court and has a feel for passing. Can also run the lanes at an elite level. Defense is perhaps his best attribute. Can be a shut down defender. Versatile as well. Tough to find a player he can't guard."

Arterio Morris | Dallas Kimball | PG, 6-3, 190

Top247 Ranking: 5-star, No. 17 overall, 98 rating

Change since last update: 0

Updated 247Sports Composite: 5-star, No. 16 overall, 0.9938 rating

"Morris is an elite point guard prospect who is a raw talent that has the upside to potentially be the best player from the 2022 class. Morris has pop to his game and is elusive with his handle when breaking down defenders. His short-area quickness and burst coupled with his shiftiness grant him the ability to get where ever he pleases in the half-court game. He is at his best when playing downhill where he is an instinctual player when finishing creatively at the rim. Thanks to his length, quickness, and size, Morris can also be leaned upon as a multi-positional defender. As he learns to play with a consistent killer instinct and polishes his overall game; mainly his jumper and decision-making, Morris could potentially take off  and be mentioned in the conversation for the best lead guard in the class."

Rowan Brumbaugh | Northfield (Ma.) Mount Herm0n| PG, 6-4, 180

Top247 Ranking: 4-star, No. 118 overall, 90 rating

Change since last update: -1

Updated 247Sports Composite: 4-star, No. 80 overall,   0.9657 rating

"Has positive length and strength for the point guard position. Not a leaper and an average athlete in terms of explosiveness. But has tremendous feel for the game and the ability to change pace and direction. Manipulates the defense. Shoots the ball adequately from distance to keep defense honest. Uses his strength and body control to score in midrange. Handles the ball extremely well and is a top of the line passer who can deliver the ball with timing and accuracy with either hand. Rebounds his position well. A solid defender but doesn’t have a big defensive presence. Not necessarily a disruptor on that end. Has a tremendous overall feel for the game."

Alex Anamekwe | McKinney | PF, 6-6, 200

Top247 Ranking:  n/a,   89 rating

Change since last update: n/a

Updated 247Sports Composite: 3-star, No. 189 overall, 0.8914 rating

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

IT Today: Chris Beard on Dylan Disu, search for a new assistant - On3

One of the questions Beard received was regarding Dylan Disu. A 6-foot-9 forward from Vanderbilt via Pflugerville (Texas) Hendrickson, Disu was limited in 2021-22 as a result of a knee injury suffered playing for the Commodores. He played in 26 games last year for Texas, averaging 3.7 points and 3.2 rebounds in 10.9 minutes per game.

To date, Disu has not made a decision regarding his future with the Longhorn program. His choices are likely return to Texas or seek professional opportunities.

Beard revealed Disu, who was not invited to the NBA draft combine, is in Memphis, Tenn. working out with former NBA player Mike Miller, currently the head coach at Germantown (Tenn.) Houston. Beard said he has been in regular contact with Disu, and supports him no matter what his decision is.

“Dylan’s in a little bit of a unique situation because he wasn’t able to go through the process last year because of injury and because of COVID,” Beard said Wednesday. “His circle, which is obviously his parents and family, and then our circle, his college coaches, we all support him doing this.”

Texas currently covets a big for the 2022-23 season, and Disu would help address the need at that position.

“If he chooses to come back to college, we’re ready to roll,” Beard said. “If he has a great opportunity in pro basketball, that’s his decision as well. We’ll support him not matter what he decides.”

Another question Beard fielded was regarding his current assistant coaching vacancy. Ulric Maligi officially joined Jerome Tang’s Kansas State staff on April 1, and Beard said he has worked on finding the right assistant to replace him every day since then.

“It’s a priority, but I just think with so many things changing right now in college basketball I think there’s some value in being patient,” Beard said.

Beard hinted he could look at internal candidates to join Rodney Terry and Jerrance Howard with him on the bench, but admitted even if he were to promote from within they would likely need to hire someone from outside the program.

What does Beard want in his assistants, aside from being winners first and foremost?

“I think in those specific assistant spots, I’ve always tried to hire future head coaches,” Beard said. “A lot of people really value the recruiting or really value the on-court teaching. I think at a place like Texas, you get both. The guys at our spot should be future head coaches. I think that’s what we have right now with our guys, and I look forward to the new additions.”

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

“I think in those specific assistant spots, I’ve always tried to hire future head coaches,” Beard said. “A lot of people really value the recruiting or really value the on-court teaching. I think at a place like Texas, you get both. The guys at our spot should be future head coaches.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886z6p01yymckv8thw14c

it's quotes/beliefs like that one that show what a home run hire Chris Beard was. you can literally go back to the old shaka threads, pinpoint the things that we were all mad about, and Beard is systematically going down that list and fixing it. our last coach killed us with his assistant hires. this mentality from Beard is exactly what this program needs. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886z6p01yymckv8thw14c

it's quotes/beliefs like that one that show what a home run hire Chris Beard was. you can literally go back to the old shaka threads, pinpoint the things that we were all mad about, and Beard is systematically going down that list and fixing it. our last coach killed us with his assistant hires. this mentality from Beard is exactly what this program needs. 

Yep, if your assistants leave for better jobs, it's a win-win for your program - you have a reputation of hiring quality assistants and mentoring them for bigger jobs.  Vic has lost something like 5 assistant coaches in 2 seasons, but 3 of them got head coaching jobs and 1 went from Assistant to Associate for her old boss.  4 promotions - no one is worried about that kind of turnover. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment. Rodney Terry was already a head coach. He didn't come back to Texas for an opportunity at a higher profile job. He came back to Texas because being at Fresno State and UTEP as the head guy wasn't as attractive to him as being an assistant at Texas. 

Ulric Maligi didn't leave for a head coaching job. He left to become the lead assistant at Kansas State with a friend in the business in Jerome Tang. Now, like JS1 is talking about, you could argue that's a promotion since he wasn't the lead assistant at Texas, but I'd argue he has a better chance of getting a head job from Texas than at Kansas State, because KSU is a much tougher gig these days. 

I've never seen anyone talk about Jerrance Howard as a great head coach candidate. The way I've seen him referred to is loving the AAU shoe game. He was brought on to recruit. He's not considered a great developer of talent or amazing at breaking down film or a tactician on the sidelines. He's considered sub par at all of those. Maybe Beard is coaching him up. Dunno. Also, we had rumors floating around of him looking at other opportunities, particularly at Louisville. Don't know what came of that, or even how true it was. 

The talk out there is that Beard is an intense taskmaster who asks a lot from his staff, particularly in terms of recruiting. I'm not complaining. That's awesome. That's exactly what I want in the head coach. I also have high expectations for who he ends up bringing in, simply because that's such a cornerstone to being a great coach. I have a huge amount of confidence in Beard's ability to accurately identify talent in others, and bring out the best in them.

But sometimes Beard is a master of bullshit. Every player he coaches is a future pro. Every assistant is a future head coach. The fans at Texas are the best ever. Texas is one of a handful of teams who can win the whole thing. It's an ongoing thing. That's okay. I feel like we could definitely use some hucksterism/promotion to get the program where we all want it to be. That said, sometimes I find myself doing the Jennifer Lawrence thumbs up/okay .gif at some of the things he says.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment. Rodney Terry was already a head coach. He didn't come back to Texas for an opportunity at a higher profile job. He came back to Texas because being at Fresno State and UTEP as the head guy wasn't as attractive to him as being an assistant at Texas. 

Ulric Maligi didn't leave for a head coaching job. He left to become the lead assistant at Kansas State with a friend in the business in Jerome Tang. Now, like JS1 is talking about, you could argue that's a promotion since he wasn't the lead assistant at Texas, but I'd argue he has a better chance of getting a head job from Texas than at Kansas State, because KSU is a much tougher gig these days. 

I've never seen anyone talk about Jerrance Howard as a great head coach candidate. The way I've seen him referred to is loving the AAU shoe game. He was brought on to recruit. He's not considered a great developer of talent or amazing at breaking down film or a tactician on the sidelines. He's considered sub par at all of those. Maybe Beard is coaching him up. Dunno. Also, we had rumors floating around of him looking at other opportunities, particularly at Louisville. Don't know what came of that, or even how true it was. 

The talk out there is that Beard is an intense taskmaster who asks a lot from his staff, particularly in terms of recruiting. I'm not complaining. That's awesome. That's exactly what I want in the head coach. I also have high expectations for who he ends up bringing in, simply because that's such a cornerstone to being a great coach. I have a huge amount of confidence in Beard's ability to accurately identify talent in others, and bring out the best in them.

But sometimes Beard is a master of bullshit. Every player he coaches is a future pro. Every assistant is a future head coach. The fans at Texas are the best ever. Texas is one of a handful of teams who can win the whole thing. It's an ongoing thing. That's okay. I feel like we could definitely use some hucksterism/promotion to get the program where we all want it to be. That said, sometimes I find myself doing the Jennifer Lawrence thumbs up/okay .gif at some of the things he says.

I hear you, but like you said that's just who Beard is. This basketball program doesn't really know what sustained success looks like, and there's something to be said for Beard basically trying to get this program to understand standards and what success looks like.

One thing I do appreciate about him is he is honest in press conferences and public settings where he speaks. He'll send subtle messages and make fun of himself. He has a very dry sense of humor so if he's on your side you laugh and appreciate it, but I'm sure that gets under the skin of outside fan bases (especially Tech) even more.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I hear you, but like you said that's just who Beard is. This basketball program doesn't really know what sustained success looks like, and there's something to be said for Beard basically trying to get this program to understand standards and what success looks like.

One thing I do appreciate about him is he is honest in press conferences and public settings where he speaks. He'll send subtle messages and make fun of himself. He has a very dry sense of humor so if he's on your side you laugh and appreciate it, but I'm sure that gets under the skin of outside fan bases (especially Tech) even more.

I don't think that's what gets under Tech's skin even remotely. What gets under their skin is the fan base bought the koolaid about how awesome Lubbock is and thought Beard was a lifer. He had the best tournament success they've ever had in a short period of time. They were ready to practically give him a lifetime contract, and then he leaves for his alma mater, the big brother, without even giving them a chance to counter. What helps them is Adams is doing really well so far. But for a lot of the fans, there's no shortage of bitterness.

Some of that is just being a fan, though. It makes games more fun for me when I can create a story in my head about why the outcome matters to me. All of this makes it more fun for a lot of those Tech fans. 

There's not a thing I'd change about Beard. To me he's exactly what this program needs. I'm really pumped about seeing what kind of progress is made in year two, and how he juggles his lineups. I'd love it if we got Hunter and Lofton, but we'll see. 

18 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The fireside chats were embraced pretty heartily at Tech. Nothing Beard says going forward makes a shit to most Tech fans, in that nothing he says/ does now matters with comparison with the circumstances leading up to and including his departure.  He's a rival coach at a school we've always wanted to beat. Is there something extra there?  Of course.

I couldn't tell you anything about a Chris Beard presser/ fireside chat since he left Tech, beyond the fact that he's always going to represent his team and program to the best of his ability, and yes, he does have a pretty good sense of humor. Winning the games makes the other antics a moot point.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

02AAA37D-24AF-495A-A5CE-D9BE71A026EF.jpeg

It’s not surprising, but nice to hear nonetheless. He’s seems like such a great kid during all his orangebloods.com coverage. I’d really like for him to be able to show what he’s capable of. 

It’s tough to imagine he’s going to get the kind of feedback from the NBA that has him staying in the draft, but if someone gives him that kind of validation, I hope it works out well for him. That would put us in way more of a desperation mode than we’re in already regarding players who can effectively guard the post, but so be it. 

In any case, personally I’m considering it practically a given we’ll see him in orange and white in the fall, but I still love reading it from Beard. 

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

You know how I can tell there aren’t many basketball players in that photo?

I’m glad Brock is back for another year. His different interviews this last season were legendary, whether on the weekly LHN show with Galindo or the radio show with Craig Way at Pluckers. 

On another note, I’m on pins and needles regarding Tyrese Hunter. 

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Hunter down to Texas and Tennessee per IT. 

I mentioned Tennessee had come on strong in the recruiting thread. 

I feel good about this recruitment. No inside info per se. I was concerned Hunter was waiting on Jalen Wilson to choose NBA or not, but I feel like they made a very strong effort on Hunter. 

Care to interpret your prediction? That picture could go a couple different ways…

Still one of the best Beard moments When he stepped outside his CEO role and let them hang

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

Cartoon interpret your prediction? That picture could go a couple different ways…

Still one of the best Beard moments When he stepped outside his CEO and let them hang

Texas.

Tech is not a finalist. 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas.

Tech is not a finalist. 

Indeed.  In the photo you used, Beard was not on the winning end of the equation, except to his team’s fans.

wasn’t making it about my school.  Just asking for more info on vagaries of your post.

Edited by slorch

39 minutes ago, slorch said:

Care to interpret your prediction? That picture could go a couple different ways…

Still one of the best Beard moments When he stepped outside his CEO role and let them hang

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

Indeed.  In the photo you used, Beard was not on the winning end of the equation, except to his team’s fans.

wasn’t making it about my school.  Just asking for more info on vagaries of your post.

Are you regarded? He posted a tweet from a writer that listed Texas as one of 5 finalists. The tweet has a picture of Beard under “My prediction”. Jesus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1