Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

47 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I don't really want Mitchell back honestly.  Dude was a turnover machine.  I liked his low post game, but he had some of the worst hands for a big that I can remember.

Losing Askew sucks IMO.  I think we were going to see a big jump for him this year.  He was one of the few players that was up to the task when we played at Tech last year in that hostile environment.  I'm still holding out hope that he looks at his options in the portal and then decides to stay put.  I like the thought of him running point and then having Carr play off the ball as a gunner (which is more in his nature).

Getting Timmy Allen back is big.  I think he made a good choice. Occasionally last year he would bring the ball up the court and I liked running the offense through him. He has underrated vision and isn't a ball stopper. If he works on his 3-point shooting, I think he has a shot to eventually make it to the NBA as an end of the bench player. 

Askew isn’t coming back with Rice coming in. That looks to be reason he’s leaving.  We aren’t going to have both.  

I also liked Askew and thought he had upside and potential.  But he didn’t want to play his role.  I’ll gladly take Rice in his spot.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Askew isn’t coming back with Rice coming in. That looks to be reason he’s leaving.  We aren’t going to have both.  

I also liked Askew and thought he had upside and potential.  But he didn’t want to play his role.  I’ll gladly take Rice in his spot.

Rice replaced Ramey. Askew isn't coming back because Carr likely is to go along with Morris and Brumbaugh. If we could get the WSU big and another guard (Teddy) to replace Jones then our ceiling is raised for next year.

So if Carr comes back - and I think he will - you’d have 4 in the guard room (so to speak): Carr, Morris, Brumbaugh, Rice. Two super seniors and two true freshmen. 

Two wings in Allen and Mitchell, neither of them with a quantifiable ability to hit the three, although they can both score in the paint - Allen blue collar lunch pail style, Mitchell spectacular Flying Trapeze Brothers methodology. And then whatever Brock Cunningham is. I’m guessing Cunningham will work on his three ball like a madman over the off-season and possibly be even more improved there. 

I’ll assume Disu is back until he says something otherwise. That’s Disu and Bishop. A good start, but really need two more. And need Disu to be back to more of the way he was at Vanderbilt, which I think we saw more of at the end of the season. Would be amazing to get some 3 point shooting from that position, with both Allen and Mitchell not providing much in that regard, and both of them likely being on the floor at the same time for quite a few minutes per game. I know Disu has let it fly from there in the past, but that’s not really what I’m talking about. Oh, and they have to be able to switch on defense. 

Allen and Bishop returning is so huge for the program in any number of ways. First, they’re talented players who can contribute on the floor. But them returning is such a validation of what Beard is trying to accomplish, and that I’d argue, is even bigger. Carr would solidify that even further. 

If Carr chooses to pursue a professional career - and if I was his best friend that’s probably what I’d advocate for him if he wants to develop point guard skills, because I don’t see him being the main initiator the way he was for the team this past season - then we’d have to have another guard out of the portal. Even with Carr returning there’s a place for a role player, whether a new body or someone better relegating one of those guys to fewer minutes. But 4 to 5 guards, two wings plus Cunningham, and 4 bigs and the roster is pretty much set. 

It’s not a roster that screams national championship, but it is a roster that could improve on the results of this past season. Maybe by a lot. Certainly a top 20 roster for sure. Need to see what Beard comes up with in terms of big men. The dream is a Bryson Williams clone. Get someone like that and they could legitimately contend for the Big 12. That said I didn’t know Bryson Williams would be Bryson Williams at this time last year, so you never know. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm thrilled that Timmy is coming back.  Bishop and Disu are less reliable, but they have upside for sure.

Honestly, Carr is the only one I'm not all that sure about.  (Yeah, Brock is another, but he's not a big minute hog.)  If two of the recruits can steal a lot of minutes, we are in terrific shape.  Yes, we're not looking at F4 material yet, but a step up, regardless.  Maybe a long shot at the conference title.

I feel so much more confident in Beard's decisions than Shaka's or even Barnes' (end of run).

Yes, we're not looking at F4 material yet, but a step up, regardless.  Maybe a long shot at the conference title.

I think we were a lot closer to F4 material this last year than people realize.  We split games with the National Champs and ALMOST swept them (in addition to all of our other quality wins). If we keep playing at that level every year, we will get a couple of Final Fours.  If we improve on it, then we will be right in the mix for a title.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If we return Allen, Bishop and Carr, then we could potentially be a Final Four team next year.  I say potentially because there’s probably a pretty high delta for what kind of contributors Mitchell and Morris will be as freshmen, but there’s a scenario where we’re adding two major contributor lottery picks to 3 super seniors who were arguably our best players last year.  

I’d still want more big men and shooters to fill out the remaining roster spots, but even before that, the core we have in place right now has a higher ceiling than last year.  We have traded Ramey, Jones and Askew for Morris, Mitchell, Rice and Brumbaugh.  That’s bigger and way more athletic on the perimeter.

yeah, i'm with you here. especially since we seem to be in the infancy of an era of CBB where the number of teams that can legit make the FF is higher than its ever been. way fewer super dominant teams, and much more parity. if we can fill out the roster with some shooters and big men who are the right fit, then we could be a FF team this upcoming season, depending on where Mitchell and Morris are at come March. 

also, i'm pegging either Carr or Disu to have a sort of rebirth this year. (at least) one of those guys is going to find his comfort zone this year and really show what he's capable of. i tend to lean more towards Carr being that guy due to his experience and pedigree, but with the back court being more crowded, a healthy Disu blocking shots, rebounding, and shooting/having a face up game could be a huge addition, even if it only comes out to something like 10 ppg, 8 reb, 1.3 blk. 

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I think we were a lot closer to F4 material this last year than people realize.  We split games with the National Champs and ALMOST swept them (in addition to all of our other quality wins). If we keep playing at that level every year, we will get a couple of Final Fours.  If we improve on it, then we will be right in the mix for a title.

I don't think we lose to St. Peter's. Ran into a bad matchup in the Ro32. Last year's team could have made the EE if a couple things fell differently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

If Tre has to sit, and I don't see why he would not, he will have about a full year and 8 months since he left and his next college game. Nice career management dad.

It isn't his fault. Someone got cancer. 

I cant consider us a final four team until we get some proven outside shooters and also a couple of go-to guys that can be relied upon in those clutch minutes. I can see playing into the second week of the tourney which would be something we havent done since.....checks notes.....2008. Fuck. 

Just now, Blotto said:

I cant consider us a final four team until we get some proven outside shooters and also a couple of go-to guys that can be relied upon in those clutch minutes. I can see playing into the second week of the tourney which would be something we havent done since.....checks notes.....2008. Fuck. 

well yeah, this all depends on us adding the right pieces. it's also more (to me) about the fact that these days saying, "Team A is a potential Final Four team" is barely different than saying that Team A is a S16 team. with Coach Beard's Tourney record you've got to like his chances most any year when he's got a team that he's had a couple of years to assemble and build. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

So if Carr comes back - and I think he will - you’d have 4 in the guard room (so to speak): Carr, Morris, Brumbaugh, Rice. Two super seniors and two true freshmen. 

Two wings in Allen and Mitchell, neither of them with a quantifiable ability to hit the three, although they can both score in the paint - Allen blue collar lunch pail style, Mitchell spectacular Flying Trapeze Brothers methodology. And then whatever Brock Cunningham is. I’m guessing Cunningham will work on his three ball like a madman over the off-season and possibly be even more improved there. 

I’ll assume Disu is back until he says something otherwise. That’s Disu and Bishop. A good start, but really need two more. And need Disu to be back to more of the way he was at Vanderbilt, which I think we saw more of at the end of the season. Would be amazing to get some 3 point shooting from that position, with both Allen and Mitchell not providing much in that regard, and both of them likely being on the floor at the same time for quite a few minutes per game. I know Disu has let it fly from there in the past, but that’s not really what I’m talking about. Oh, and they have to be able to switch on defense. 

Allen and Bishop returning is so huge for the program in any number of ways. First, they’re talented players who can contribute on the floor. But them returning is such a validation of what Beard is trying to accomplish, and that I’d argue, is even bigger. Carr would solidify that even further. 

If Carr chooses to pursue a professional career - and if I was his best friend that’s probably what I’d advocate for him if he wants to develop point guard skills, because I don’t see him being the main initiator the way he was for the team this past season - then we’d have to have another guard out of the portal. Even with Carr returning there’s a place for a role player, whether a new body or someone better relegating one of those guys to fewer minutes. But 4 to 5 guards, two wings plus Cunningham, and 4 bigs and the roster is pretty much set. 

It’s not a roster that screams national championship, but it is a roster that could improve on the results of this past season. Maybe by a lot. Certainly a top 20 roster for sure. Need to see what Beard comes up with in terms of big men. The dream is a Bryson Williams clone. Get someone like that and they could legitimately contend for the Big 12. That said I didn’t know Bryson Williams would be Bryson Williams at this time last year, so you never know. 

I agree that guys like Bishop, Alenn, and probably Carr coming back is a good sign of culture and buy in. One of the things I worry about with Beard is if he runs too hot and that will cause him to have too much turnover, but it looks like that's absolutely not the case so far, which is a really big positive long-term. 

Shooting and bigs are our critical remaining needs. It would be amazing if we helped both of those with one guy, but I'll take anyone who addresses one of those right now. We really, really have to find better shooting. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm thrilled that Timmy is coming back.  Bishop and Disu are less reliable, but they have upside for sure.

Honestly, Carr is the only one I'm not all that sure about.  (Yeah, Brock is another, but he's not a big minute hog.)  If two of the recruits can steal a lot of minutes, we are in terrific shape.  Yes, we're not looking at F4 material yet, but a step up, regardless.  Maybe a long shot at the conference title.

I feel so much more confident in Beard's decisions than Shaka's or even Barnes' (end of run).

Huh? Bishop was incredible for us and he got better as the year went on.  He looked bad at times, because we made him play the 5 too much after Mithcell quit, but that's not his fault. I can't imagine how anyone could be anything but thrilled that Bishop came back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also, i'm pegging either Carr or Disu to have a sort of rebirth this year. (at least) one of those guys is going to find his comfort zone this year and really show what he's capable of. i tend to lean more towards Carr being that guy due to his experience and pedigree, but with the back court being more crowded, a healthy Disu blocking shots, rebounding, and shooting/having a face up game could be a huge addition, even if it only comes out to something like 10 ppg, 8 reb, 1.3 blk. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I agree that guys like Bishop, Alenn, and probably Carr coming back is a good sign of culture and buy in. One of the things I worry about with Beard is if he runs too hot and that will cause him to have too much turnover, but it looks like that's absolutely not the case so far, which is a really big positive long-term. 

Shooting and bigs are our critical remaining needs. It would be amazing if we helped both of those with one guy, but I'll take anyone who addresses one of those right now. We really, really have to find better shooting. 

Huh? Bishop was incredible for us and he got better as the year went on.  He looked bad at times, because we made him play the 5 too much after Mithcell quit, but that's not his fault. I can't imagine how anyone could be anything but thrilled that Bishop came back. 

i was hootin' and hollerin' when i found out bishop was returning. he really became a defensive presence as the year wore on, and if he can show any kind of face-up game then that'll big for us this year. i really like his attitude and the chip on his shoulder. i imagine that he and Beard get along quite well.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your reaction doesn't reflect my opinion of Bishop, so I probably didn't phrase it well.  I'm quite hopeful that he will continue to grow into an interior force.

Mitchell and Morris are top tier recruits who project as future nba draft picks.  So that’s 2 guys who should log 20+ minutes each and be productive.

Assuming Carr and Disu come back, there’s a fivesome of 2nd tier guys on this roster who could start for most ranked teams: Carr, Disu, Allen, Rice, and Bishop.

Brumbaugh (a national top 100 recruit) and Cunningham might not be guys you want as the focal point of the roster, but they bring enough to the table to be fine logging consistent minutes.

Perryman and Bott are scrubs until proven otherwise, but nobody should be fretting guys that will be 12th or worse in terms of minutes.

To me, this roster needs a shooter and somebody with size to be complete.  I expect Beard to go get them, and if he does this roster easily profiles as a round of 16 team or better.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, I realize I’m beating a dead horse, but it’s a horse we’re going to collectively club for quite some time because of all the scar tissue that’s formed, but I can see a vision from Beard, and him taking active steps to bring that vision into reality. Over the previous six years there was none of that, either during the season or the off-season.  It was such a feeling of helplessness. Every major recruiting victory just brought a deepening sense of despondency, a “why in the fuck would you come here? So your talents can be wasted in our hodge podge non scheme?”

I can see a team that’s going to be demonstrably better than last year’s team, and I was very pleased with what last year’s team was able to accomplish, so that’s a good jumping off point. 

We’ll always have people transferring out. Other schools will, too, but we’ll have more because Beard is fearless and adamant about his coaching style, and part of that style is to be aggressively tough on the players playing for him, and to put them in a relatively strict structure on offense and defense. That’s not going to be conducive to recruiting and detainment on a lot of levels. He’ll have to be selective in who he goes after as far as top talent. 

He’s also not going to be a big fan of adjustments or flexibility. We’ll hear a lot of naysayers about those qualities, and they’ll have some merit. The problem with a certain amount of flexibility is that you can lose what your grounding principles are, and what you see as making you successful to win. I remember in Popovich’s heyday reading about how he would lecture his teams on doing the same things over and over again, even when they weren’t working, because it’s been proven they do work, and the other team is going to wilt and fail due to a lack of confidence because they don’t have the same commitment. Wooden talked about some of the same things. Different league and different era of course, but the approach still has merits. It’s still an overall organizational philosophy more than it’s particular to any specific time and place. 

It’s going to be frustrating for a significant portion of our fan base until/unless it results in a championship, because that’s how fans are. I saw the same dynamic from KU fans over the past few years, many of whom are now eating a lot of crow for their continuous loud and consistent criticisms. Not that Beard is in the same league as Self in terms of career accomplishments, but he has the same organizational outlook that doesn’t brook a lot of “flexibility” in how his team is going to be run. 

The big thing for me is that defense will always come first, and paramount to that is a defense being able to switch across all 5 positions. That’s a non negotiable over an entire game (I could see a shot blocker getting limited minutes even if they can’t switch that well) which means a certain level of mobility along all 5 positions, and length at the guard and wings - REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY CAN DO ON OFFENSE.

That means Texas will almost certainly be in the top 10 each year for adjusted defense, and they’ll likely be nowhere close to the top in adjusted tempo. Whether that will be a formula for winning championships remains to be seen. It certainly wasn’t the formula this year for even getting to the Final Four. But I am excited to see how this plays out over the years, in ways I never was with Shaka Smart over his last four and a half seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 6

44 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Also, I realize I’m beating a dead horse, but it’s a horse we’re going to collectively club for quite some time because of all the scar tissue that’s formed, but I can see a vision from Beard, and him taking active steps to bring that vision into reality. Over the previous six years there was none of that, either during the season or the off-season.  It was such a feeling of helplessness. Every major recruiting victory just brought a deepening sense of despondency, a “why in the fuck would you come here? So your talents can be wasted in our hodge podge non scheme?”

I can see a team that’s going to be demonstrably better than last year’s team, and I was very pleased with what last year’s team was able to accomplish, so that’s a good jumping off point. 

We’ll always have people transferring out. Other schools will, too, but we’ll have more because Beard is fearless and adamant about his coaching style, and part of that style is to be aggressively tough on the players playing for him, and to put them in a relatively strict structure on offense and defense. That’s not going to be conducive to recruiting and detainment on a lot of levels. He’ll have to be selective in who he goes after as far as top talent. 

He’s also not going to be a big fan of adjustments or flexibility. We’ll hear a lot of naysayers about those qualities, and they’ll have some merit. The problem with a certain amount of flexibility is that you can lose what your grounding principles are, and what you see as making you successful to win. I remember in Popovich’s heyday reading about how he would lecture his teams on doing the same things over and over again, even when they weren’t working, because it’s been proven they do work, and the other team is going to wilt and fail due to a lack of confidence because they don’t have the same commitment. Wooden talked about some of the same things. Different league and different era of course, but the approach still has merits. It’s still an overall organizational philosophy more than it’s particular to any specific time and place. 

It’s going to be frustrating for a significant portion of our fan base until/unless it results in a championship, because that’s how fans are. I saw the same dynamic from KU fans over the past few years, many of whom are now eating a lot of crow for their continuous loud and consistent criticisms. Not that Beard is in the same league as Self in terms of career accomplishments, but he has the same organizational outlook that doesn’t brook a lot of “flexibility” in how his team is going to be run. 

The big thing for me is that defense will always come first, and paramount to that is a defense being able to switch across all 5 positions. That’s a non negotiable over an entire game (I could see a shot blocker getting limited minutes even if they can’t switch that well) which means a certain level of mobility along all 5 positions, and length at the guard and wings - REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY CAN DO ON OFFENSE.

That means Texas will almost certainly be in the top 10 each year for adjusted defense, and they’ll likely be nowhere close to the top in adjusted tempo. Whether that will be a formula for winning championships remains to be seen. It certainly wasn’t the formula this year for even getting to the Final Four. But I am excited to see how this plays out over the years, in ways I never was with Shaka Smart over his last four and a half seasons. 

I'm sure you mean that the low tempo formula wasn't successful for Texas in particular this year, but the low tempo formula was clearly the preferable style in terms of outcomes in the tournament overall. Houston (Arizona) and Saint Peter's (Purdue) especially outperformed by playing at a slow tempo. Villanova made the Final Four. Gonzaga and Arizona, the best high-tempo teams, lost earlier than expected. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If we return Allen, Bishop and Carr, then we could potentially be a Final Four team next year.  I say potentially because there’s probably a pretty high delta for what kind of contributors Mitchell and Morris will be as freshmen, but there’s a scenario where we’re adding two major contributor lottery picks to 3 super seniors who were arguably our best players last year.  

I’d still want more big men and shooters to fill out the remaining roster spots, but even before that, the core we have in place right now has a higher ceiling than last year.  We have traded Ramey, Jones and Askew for Morris, Mitchell, Rice and Brumbaugh.  That’s bigger and way more athletic on the perimeter.

Yup. This roster is immensely more athletic and just better than last seasons if Carr comes back. That’s a lot of experience and proven performance to pair with elite potential in the freshman. I think I’m one more big man is really about it for what we really “need”.

1 hour ago, Sal said:

I'm sure you mean that the low tempo formula wasn't successful for Texas in particular this year, but the low tempo formula was clearly the preferable style in terms of outcomes in the tournament overall. Houston (Arizona) and Saint Peter's (Purdue) especially outperformed by playing at a slow tempo. Villanova made the Final Four. Gonzaga and Arizona, the best high-tempo teams, lost earlier than expected. 

I was thinking particularly of the championship game with UNC and KU, plus Duke. But yeah, Villanova played at a slower tempo than Texas did. 

I want to make it clear I'm fine with it. To me Beard's formula brings more predictable results. But there have been and will be a lot of complaints about it, and it will have some effect on recruiting. Recruiting is such a mix of things, especially in this day of the portal and NIL, but tempo and freedom are definitely factors that Texas will generally not have in their favor under Beard in ways they did with Smart. Again, I'm very okay with that compromise.

But good call on Villanova, and of course both UH and St. Pete's. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Texas could be going after the 2022 wing that just decommitted from SMU. Would be an interesting long play, as he would be a 3-4 year guy. Well could be, with the portal you never know. He wouldn't play much as a freshmen, and just like every other 2022 recruit, would need to work on his range. I'm really interested in the C from WSU. I don't think Texas can wait on Lofton to finish 2nd. They need to make their moves before some of these guys have chosen other locations, not that the WSU center would preclude Texas from getting Lofton.

Beard getting Timmy, Carr and Bishop to all come back after 1 year in the program speaks to what he is building.  Just having these 3 provide leadership and consistency in Beard's system, offensively and defensively, and be an example to and mentor Rice, Brumbaugh, Dillon Mitchell and Arterio Morris will be a huge benefit for this team next year. 

I guess we're waiting on AJ1 to make a decision? 

The more players from this season that came back, the better. Just for consistency. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 7

Carr showed flashes in the tourney.

If Beard can convince Marcus that we need 10 assists from him a lot more than we need 20 points from him, Marcus might have a nice season.  He simply has to take fewer shots, period.

Really glad to have Timmy and Bishop back.  I expect those two and Disu to all make strides this offseason.

247 article...

Texas guard Marcus Carr announces return for 2022-23 season

ByJEFF HOWE 4 hours ago

A huge week in the process of Texas head coach Chris Beard building the roster for the 2022-23 season continued Friday when guard Marcus Carr announced his decision to return to the Longhorns for his final season of collegiate eligibility. A third-team All-Big 12 performer who led Texas in assists (3.4 per game) and was the team’s second-leading scorer (11.4 points per game), Carr crafted an Instagram post to make his return declaration.

“Standard set. Expectations remain high,” Carr said. “Bar Risen and never been one to walk underneath. Longhorn Nation, I have a promise to keep. See you in the Moody (Center, the program's new home arena, which opened for business this week)!”

Starting 32 of a possible 34 games for the Longhorns after transferring from Minnesota where he was an All-Big Ten selection, Carr helped Texas go 22-12 in Beard’s first season on the job, which included a final ranking of No. 25 in the Associated Press Top 25. Carr saved two of his best games in his Forty Acres debut for when the Longhorns needed them most, including scoring 15 points and dishing out nine assists in an 81-73 win over Virginia Tech in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Carr’s three-quarter-court buzzer-beater put Texas ahead of the Hokies at halftime and the Longhorns never trailed again en route to securing the program’s first March Madness victory since 2014. In a season-ending 81-71 loss to Purdue two days later, Carr scored a game-high 23 points on 8-of-18 while recording seven assists and not committing a turnover.

Carr is the eighth scholarship player to lock in a spot on the roster ahead of Beard’s second season on the job. Carr’s announcement comes on the heels of second-team All-Big 12 forward Timmy Allen, who led Texas in scoring (12.1 points per game) and rebounding (6.4 per game) this past season, announcing on Wednesday that he’s coming back for one more season with the Longhorns.

Along with Allen and Carr, forwards Christian Bishop and Brock Cunningham made quick decisions to come back to school at the conclusion of the season. The Longhorns picked up a commitment from New Mexico State transfer guard Jabari Rice out of the NCAA transfer portal on Tuesday with the three-time All-WAC performer joining three high school signees — 6-foot-7-inch five-star swingman Dillon Mitchell (No. 14 in the 247Sports Composite for 2022) of Montverde (Fla.) Academy, 6-foot-3-inch Dallas Kimball five-star guard Arterio Morris (No. 19 in the Composite) and 6-foot-4-inch four-star guard Rowan Brumbaugh (No. 79 in the Composite) of the Mount Hermon School in Northfield, Mass. — as the four newcomers currently slated to join the program.

Guards Avery Benson and Andrew Jones and forward Dylan Disu are the only scholarship members of the 2021-22 squad with eligibility remaining who’ve yet to make public declarations on whether they’ll return to the program, look to play an additional collegiate season elsewhere or explore professional opportunities. Guards Jase Febres and Tristen Licon saw their eligibility expire at the of the season (Licon is going to remain with the program as a graduate assistant).

Texas has lost three players — guards Devin Askew and Courtney Ramey and forward Tre Mitchell — to the transfer portal this offseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not up on the rules -- what does "lost" mean in this context?  Can none of these 3 guys change their minds and return to the team, or is it lazy prose?

Texas has lost three players — guards Devin Askew and Courtney Ramey and forward Tre Mitchell — to the transfer portal this offseason.

18 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

boy could we have used this version last season 

Because  I’m not creative, his game reminds me of AJ1 with a little more physicality 

I don' know if I've never seen a player that reminded me of Reggie Miller before. Jabari Rice reminds me of Reggie Miller.