Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Some of the better informed KU fans seem to think it's a strong possibility.

My guess is he was an Adidas kid in AAU, but I don't know that.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

What on Earth are you implying here?

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play
Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid

I know you were being facetious, but I couldn't resist.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

What on Earth are you implying here?

I’m not implying anything. With NIL we’re beyond that now. But there’s a reason shoe companies invest millions of dollars in their AAU networks. It builds powerful brand loyalties among talented basketball players, and those loyalties are sticky. It’s part of why shoe companies try to steer their kids towards brand friendly universities.

That said, Iowa State is a Nike school, albeit a pretty small one in terms of dollar figures. Looking at the schools that allegedly recruited Hunter out of high school, it’s not a terribly impressive list for someone ranked in the top 50 (according to 247). Although I do see UConn in there, and they’re an Adidas school.

The reason I bring it up is because every time I see KU and Louisville on a list together, it’s the first thing that comes to mind. Those are the two schools involved in the FBI sting regarding adidas employees trying to steer players to those two schools, and they remain Adidas’s flagship schools. 

It’s not the end all be all. TJ Ford was - and is - an adidas guy. Adidas is the sponsor of his AAU program. KU gets Nike players, too. But there is a swimming upstream aspect to recruiting against a player’s shoe affiliation. It’s part of the reason Beard left Texas Tech, with their Underarmour sponsorship. Too much dead weight in basketball recruiting. 

In any case, I don’t know regarding Hunter, or how powerful the connection might be. I see KU/Louisville and it’s a natural reaction. All the other schools are Nike, as far as I’m aware. 

I also see Nigel Pack getting a two year NIL deal worth $800k from Liftwallet to transfer to Miami, and it makes me wonder how much Hunter is worth, since I consider him the better player. 

Edit: I just read where Suggs signed with Adidas out of Gonzaga, which is Nike, so another example of it doesn’t always work out how the shoe companies would prefer. On the other hand, Suggs isn’t a move the needle player in terms of shoe sales, either. That’s who this AAU stuff is really for. Trying to build relationships with the Durants/Lebrons of the world. For example, Harden is probably the most prominent Adidas player. He was adidas in AAU. He went to an adidas college (ASU) and he’s Adidas in the NBA. 

There are a lot of exceptions, so it’s easy to read too much into it on a player by player basis, but there is an impact, and it’s powerful. 

Edited by SL Xpress

10 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The reason I bring it up is because every time I see KU and Louisville on a list together, it’s the first thing that comes to mind. Those are the two schools involved in the FBI sting regarding adidas employees trying to steer players to those two schools, and they remain Adidas’s flagship schools. 

Yeah. I know. And I knew you wouldn't pick up on the sarcasm - helping you tune your meter. 

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. I know. And I knew you wouldn't pick up on the sarcasm - helping you tune your meter. 

It’s not a matter of picking up on the sarcasm or not. The shoe shit is pervasive in ways that can’t be regulated any more, so it’s not cheating, which used to be the implication. I want to be clear about that. It’s useless to decry any of it any more. People complain about the amount spent on the A&M recruiting class in football, and I’m like, “Welcome to the new normal.”

Whoever gets Hunter is going to need to attach dollars to it. Including Texas  Frankly, Texas has to be doing something right to bring back Bishop, Carr, and Allen. None of them were going to be in the NBA next year, but they were going to earn 6 figures overseas somewhere I’d bet.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

So that’s why Disu hasn’t confirmed coming back.  Hopefully he is at least moderately intelligent, which means he will get his feedback so that he knows what to work on when he comes back next year.

Every underclassmen may as well put their name in to get feedback.  Doesn't hurt them to do so - schools should encourage it. 

On 4/25/2022 at 7:46 PM, MotownHorn said:

I was in nyc at a 4 day drug party and missed the news about Carr and Allen. Glad to hear it! Hopefully they both take it up another level next year 

wait, there is an NYC in Detroit, Michigan?

• Haha 1

Checking his stats, Teddy doesn't like to put down roots...

image.png.deace4b6f3b74fb64cda31c1831410e2.png

He also spent time at Wichita State after WVU before being dismissed because of a domestic violence incident, and then a season at Western Nebraska CC. Looking at his 6th squad in as many years. 

Best of luck to him. I'm not sure how many NBA teams are looking for a shooting guard that doesnt shoot real well, but I doubt coming back for another year would change much. He's 24 so its probably time for him to move on to the pro game, whether that's in the NBA or playing overseas. He was easy to root for when he was on campus, and will be easy to root for in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Checking his stats, Teddy doesn't like to put down roots...

image.png.deace4b6f3b74fb64cda31c1831410e2.png

He also spent time at Wichita State after WVU before being dismissed because of a domestic violence incident, and then a season at Western Nebraska CC. Looking at his 6th squad in as many years. 

damn he must have 3 degrees by now.

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Best of luck to him. I'm not sure how many NBA teams are looking for a shooting guard that doesnt shoot real well, but I doubt coming back for another year would change much. He's 24 so its probably time for him to move on to the pro game, whether that's in the NBA or playing overseas. He was easy to root for when he was on campus, and will be easy to root for in the future. 

He'll never play in the NBA. He can probably have a nice overseas career in a 2nd tier league or start an awesome career post basketball with his story. Appreciate what he did for Texas but it was time. This team will be better next season and going forward with AJ not getting minutes. 

24 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Based on who we have coming back and coming in, I think 17 is a realistic preseason ranking, way more realistic than last year’s…

Still have a chance at Lofton. Don't know how good it is. Really need another big man to go along with Bishop and Disu. Really need two, but I don't see that happening. I'd love to see incremental progress from year one to year two, which feels realistic with the players that are returning. Also, the team should get an upgrade in athleticism with Mitchell, Morris, and Rice. 

Edit: Just saw where 6-7 forward Anamekwe committed to Texas after getting out of his NLI to SMU following head coach Jankovich leaving. He's somewhat raw, but he's still 5 more fouls to put in there. 

Edited by SL Xpress

G Carr/Brumbaugh/Prince

G Mitchell/Rice/Perryman

G Morris/TBD/TBD

F Allen/Cunningham/Bott

F Disu/Bishop/Anamekwe

Basically just need one good all around player and maybe another reserve for depth and this roster will be complete.  This team should pretty easily be better than last year’s team even if they don’t add anyone else.

I don’t see a world where Bishop isn’t starting. He was great for us last year and will be even better this year. Bishop, Allen and Carr are all guaranteed starts IMO. If Disu starts, Allen will be starting at the 3.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

I don’t see a world where Bishop isn’t starting. He was great for us last year and will be even better this year. Bishop, Allen and Carr are all guaranteed starts IMO. If Disu starts, Allen will be starting at the 3.

I wouldn't make any bets with anyone about who starts. Beard fiddled with his lineup like a crazy man last year. I bet he does the same this year. One thing that seems obvious is he truly has a "I don't give a fuck" attitude regarding whether a player has their feelings hurt or not if he thinks someone else gives the team a better chance to win. Doesn't mean he's right, but he has strong convictions, and he's going to go with them. And it starts with defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

The first waiver for a second transfer will finish off what NIL started. I know the genie is out of the bottle. But if they let kids pick new schools every year, then it will really be free agency. 

So it will really really be free agency? I feel we’re already at the really stage. 

The totals in the portal seem bad. But in CFB and CBB, the number of kids that get recruited into the portal and paid are likely a small % of the total. But I think mostly because kids have that one transfer rule in their heads. I think you open that up and you essentially finalize it as FA. Not saying it isn’t moving that way already, but this would make it official. 

44 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

The first waiver for a second transfer will finish off what NIL started. I know the genie is out of the bottle. But if they let kids pick new schools every year, then it will really be free agency. 

I would basically (if I was the NCAA) only approve second transfer waivers for coaching changes.  You got your one already, you don’t get to play for 3 schools in 3 years. Sit your ass out. 

Same goes for Tre Mitchell. His dad’s tweets should be exhibit A it wasn’t “family issues” that caused him to quit and enter the portal (again)

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

On what grounds would they grant such a waiver? "But, I really want to play this year."