2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

16 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

This thread is called "2020 Democratic Nominee", which is Joe Biden until November.

Might not want to lock the thread down until the election. Given that we are in the midst of a global pandemic and all, not so sure we should consider either of the elderly candidates a lock for election day.  Still got my money on the simulation throwing us for a loop either before the election, or after the election but before the electoral college voting. 

Voting is not the end-all be-all of electoral engagement, much less political engagement at large.

Many here are immensely pleased with themselves for committing to the easiest and cheapest part of the entire process.

For those of you who have somehow decided to make it your mission to troll people who are skeptical about voting for Joe Biden, what are you going to actually do to get Joe Biden elected? You talk about it like it's life or death for the nation, so are you calling and donating? Are you organizing? Are you going to knock doors?

Or is "troll on the Internet and spend 5 minutes voting" the sum total of your engagement in this purported apocalypse-level event?

• Like 1

Siap...

CNN:  "So, who will Biden pick? We know it will be a woman -- he pledged that at the last Democratic debate last month -- but which one? Below (are) rankings of the 10 female politicians most likely to be that pick as of right now."

The Top 10 women Joe Biden might choose as his VP

1. Kamela Harris
  2. Gretchen Whitmer
  3. Amy Klobuchar
  4. Catherine Cortez Masto
  5. Elizabeth Warren
  6. Tammy Duckworth
  7. Tammy Baldwin
  8. Val Demings
  9. Stacey Abrams
  10. Michelle Lujan Grisham 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/joe-biden-vp-vice-president-pick/index.html 

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

CNN:  "So, who will Biden pick? We know it will be a woman -- he pledged that at the last Democratic debate last month -- but which one? Below (are) rankings of the 10 female politicians most likely to be that pick as of right now."

The Top 10 women Joe Biden might choose as his VP

1. Kamela Harris
  2. Gretchen Whitmer
  3. Amy Klobuchar
  4. Catherine Cortez Masto
  5. Elizabeth Warren
  6. Tammy Duckworth
  7. Tammy Baldwin
  8. Val Demings
  9. Stacey Abrams
  10. Michelle Lujan Grisham 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/politics/joe-biden-vp-vice-president-pick/index.html 

whitmer, demings, harris are probably my top 3, but nobody on that list would really bother me.  a slightly younger warren would be ideal if her senate seat wasn't an issue (still not clear how long it would be open/replaced by republican gov).  whitmer has a lot of heat, but she also seems to be the one who keeps saying she's not interested, so who knows.

if there's any weight to a vp helping with her state (or part of the country), then obviously demings or whitmer make sense (more sense than kamala).  geography aside, do any of these get you a bump in a demographic?  does demings or abrams help with african-american vote (does biden need help here?).  does klobuchar help with suburban women in the midwest?

for numerous reasons, this is an important vp pick.

if we were coming up with las vegas style odds of "who is the most likely president in june of 2022", the list would start with biden and trump, but i think #3 is whomever biden picks.  please don't fuck this up by doing something polarizing or otherwise stupid.

I like the BYEDON thing.  Very clever.  

I still cannot fucking believe with everything happening right now, we're still having a conversation about Bernie supporters coming over to the Biden camp. 

Do we need to have a sit down to talk this out?  I had no idea we had 60 million racist assholes in this country and 30 million drama queens. 

Nut the fuck up boys, we gotta country to save. 

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

whitmer, demings, harris are probably my top 3, but nobody on that list would really bother me.  a slightly younger warren would be ideal if her senate seat wasn't an issue (still not clear how long it would be open/replaced by republican gov).  whitmer has a lot of heat, but she also seems to be the one who keeps saying she's not interested, so who knows.

if there's any weight to a vp helping with her state (or part of the country), then obviously demings or whitmer make sense (more sense than kamala).  geography aside, do any of these get you a bump in a demographic?  does demings or abrams help with african-american vote (does biden need help here?).  does klobuchar help with suburban women in the midwest?

for numerous reasons, this is an important vp pick.

if we were coming up with las vegas style odds of "who is the most likely president in june of 2022", the list would start with biden and trump, but i think #3 is whomever biden picks.  please don't fuck this up by doing something polarizing or otherwise stupid.

I could be wrong but wouldn't having Catherine Cortez Masto or Michelle Lujan Grisham on the ticket drive up the Hispanic vote in Texas , Nevada, and Arizona.

Bloomberg still angling to control the party for pathetic amounts of money.

Waleed Shahid, spokesperson for Justice Democrats, which recruits progressive challengers to incumbents, said that Bloomberg’s firm running the party’s data operation would send the wrong signal and could have long-term, damaging repercussions. “The idea of the Democratic nominee potentially rewarding Bloomberg’s firm with this contract is disturbing,” he said. “We shouldn’t be the party of helping billionaires amass huge amounts of mega-data on voters that allow them to keep accruing obscene amounts of power in our democracy.”

ANOTHER CRITICAL CLIENT Hawkfish is seeking out, leadership has told staff, is House Majority PAC, the Super PAC for House Democratic leadership, which is allied with the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Bloomberg gave House Majority PAC $10 million as recently as last December. A House Majority PAC official confirmed the organization is in talks with Hawkfish, but said that nothing had been finalized. 

Bloomberg gave $20 million to Senate Majority PAC in 2018, and Hawkfish plans to pitch the organization soon to become a client, company leaders told staff in a call on Monday, according to Hawkfish sources.-

----------------------------------------

Those of you celebrating Bloomberg's money have no understanding of how pay-for-play works. Many of you don't even bother making the wolf wear a sheepdog costume before letting him in the pen.

On 4/9/2020 at 4:34 PM, burntorangebongos said:

I live in Texas so I'm not allowed to vote for Kentucky senators, 

youtube wtf GIF by Rosanna Pansino

I'm an idiot. My bad. In my defense, I was pretty drunk. I'm like 10% smarter when I'm sober. 

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

@bad_teammate couldn't find a better thread for this thought. But right now, the workers have the power and have already done the hard part. The 'stop.'  When this is over, nobody should go back to work for the same old bullshit. It is going to be time for the general strike.  And we shouldn't listen to the Fox News commentators who will try to blame workers because the Macy's CEO has ants in his pants about getting "back to normal". 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

@bad_teammate couldn't find a better thread for this thought. But right now, the workers have the power and have already done the hard part. The 'stop.'  When this is over, nobody should go back to work for the same old bullshit. It is going to be time for the general strike.  And we shouldn't listen to the Fox News commentators who will try to blame workers because the Macy's CEO has ants in his pants about getting "back to normal". 

"When this is over"

Fuck that. They should do it right now.

Just now, BradInATX said:

"When this is over"

Nah. Right now, they should bide their time and take the extra unemployment.  After the "open", they should refuse.

Essential workers at grocery stores working for minimum wage should strike right now. And I say that seriously as someone in the epicenter who still can do all my work from home and makes significantly more than them.  They risk so much.  I just have to do zoom meetings followed by zoom happy hours. 

Grocery workers should walk right now. And we would have to pay them more because we should pay them more. 

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nah. Right now, they should bide their time and take the extra unemployment.  After the "open", they should refuse.

Essential workers at grocery stores working for minimum wage should strike right now. And I say that seriously as someone in the epicenter who still can do all my work from home and makes significantly more than them.  They risk so much.  I just have to do zoom meetings followed by zoom happy hours. 

Grocery workers should walk right now. And we would have to pay them more because we should pay them more. 

I guess I wasn't sure who you meant. But yeah. All grocery workers, all Uber/Instacart/Favor drivers. Amazon drivers. Gas station cashiers. They should organize and quit or strike right now. It's time for the underclass to learn a positive lesson about supply and demand, if they'll quit fighting amongst themselves for long enough to do it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"When this is over"

We're already in a national strike and it scared the shit out of the powers that be; $4 trillion in funny money would tell you that.

Let them proclaim the economy is back up and running and then just go back to what we're doing now.  The powers that be would shit their fucking pants.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We're already in a national strike and it scared the shit out of the powers that be; $4 trillion in funny money would tell you that.

Let them proclaim the economy is back up and running and then just go back to what we're doing now.  The powers that be would shit their fucking pants.

Lol. That 4 trillion still doesnt go to the people. Canada's 2k per month at 150ish billionish should have told you something. Us Americans are just fodder for the laffer curve.  Take your one time 1200 and be happy. The CEO of the company that cut you loose is going to be made whole. 

I'm not sure how in the fuck this happened, but apparently I'm a Democratic state delegate. I didn't sign up for anything, all I did was vote. I might get a bit of personal satisfaction out of this.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I guess I wasn't sure who you meant. But yeah. All grocery workers, all Uber/Instacart/Favor drivers. Amazon drivers. Gas station cashiers. They should organize and quit or strike right now. It's time for the underclass to learn a positive lesson about supply and demand, if they'll quit fighting amongst themselves for long enough to do it.

They should but they won't. And instead, the grocery store they work in is doing 3 to 4 times normal business. The essential workers may get time and a half for overtime. Thats it. The owners are getting all of the extra profit generated by the covid grocery run at no risk to themselves.  We continue to be backwards in compensation.  The modern economy is supposed to be about productivity. Workers need to start showing what work means. Capital doesn't do the work. People do. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The essential workers may get time and a half for overtime. Thats it.

Having been in the independent grocer biz for 10 years I can tell you with all certainty that ain't going to happen. At least not in small chains. They'll hire more part time workers at minimum wage. Large chains may give out some overtime, but it will be kept to a minimum. OT isn't in the business plan.

• Like 1

Having been in the independent grocer biz for 10 years I can tell you with all certainty that ain't going to happen. At least not in small chains. They'll hire more part time workers at minimum wage. Large chains may give out some overtime, but it will be kept to a minimum. OT isn't in the business plan.
I know of a hospital in Austin that just had a covid exposure from a nurse and tried to tell her to come back to work and "self-monitor". Which I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with the "no overtime" policy they just pushed out.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:
3 hours ago, RPM said:

I know of a hospital in Austin that just had a covid exposure from a nurse and tried to tell her to come back to work and "self-monitor". Which I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with the "no overtime" policy they just pushed out.

Not sure what that has to do with independent grocery stores, but it sounds fubar.

Not sure what that has to do with independent grocery stores, but it sounds fubar.

You were talking about companies avoiding OT to their employees which sent me off on a tangent. I think there's also still tequila in my system from last night.

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You were talking about companies avoiding OT to their employees which sent me off on a tangent. I think there's also still tequila in my system from last night.

Yeah, grocers paying OT is a fantasy. Maybe large chains like HEB (when they're open) will dole out some, but small regionals will die on a fiery pike before they pay OT. 

No worries about the tequila. I was surfing with Beam.

Why would I vote for Trump? Are any of my criticisms of Biden coming from beliefs that align with Trump?

It doesn't matter what place your actions come from or what you perceive your moral standing to be. The fact is that your existence and actions are more likely to help Trump get re-elected than not. Ergo you are part of the problem and you should line your ass up at the guillotine right behind Jeff Bezos

explain

What do you think your ratio of negative posts about Biden vs. Trump is?

I mean, it's obviously an infinitesimally small influence in the grand scheme or things. But if there was a theoretical swing voter out there reading this board, they'd be inundated by a deluge of anti-Biden rhetoric because of your content.

And anti-Biden = pro-Trump from now until November. I don't like it either. But here we are.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It doesn't matter what place your actions come from or what you perceive your moral standing to be. The fact is that your existence and actions are more likely to help Trump get re-elected than not. Ergo you are part of the problem and you should line your ass up at the guillotine right behind Jeff Bezos emoji106.png

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

What do you think your ratio of negative posts about Biden vs. Trump are?
I mean, it's obviously an infinitesimally small influence in the grand scheme or things. But if there was a theoretical swing voter out there reading this board, they'd be inundated by a deluge of anti-Biden rhetoric because of your content.
And anti-Biden = pro-Trump from now until November. I don't like it either. But here we are.

source.gif

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

What do you think your ratio of negative posts about Biden vs. Trump is?

Ah so you know what you're saying is complete horseshit, but you keep on keeping on. lol

But let's think about this theoretical swing voter... what about my posting would lead them to Donald Trump? They would make a T-chart of "anti-Trump b_t posts" and "anti-Biden b_t posts" and then base their vote on that tally? Completely idiotic logic.

You love it. It's why you're a natural Republican. Just tell you who the strong daddy is so you can roll over and show your belly and growl at whoever criticizes strong daddy. A bone-deep authoritarian mindset.

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

"Charlie Strong isn't a good head coach."

"OH YEAH LOOK AT THE SOONER LOVER OVER HERE!"

#EliteBrainOperatingLevels

That analogy is terribly conceived, even by b_t standards.

Trump or Biden is a binary choice. By not choosing Biden, you are supporting Trump. But you already knew that.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That analogy is terribly conceived, even by b_t standards.

Trump or Biden is a binary choice. By not choosing Biden, you are supporting Trump. But you already knew that.

to that end, in order to make it a better analogy, fast forward to a saturday in october.  if you're hurting the longhorns, you're helping the sooners.  zero-sum and all that.

obviously sports don't really work in general, because we as fans have nothing to do with it, whereas voters do.  and you never know when you're going to run into an impressionable voter.  bt isn't going to swing the election.  but if there are enough bt's on enough message boards, then who knows what impact that could have on a closer race, or something down-ballot on a local level.  plenty of people have had it with trump/the gop and are ready to vote straight d without even knowing who they're voting for.  if that person stays home, all those d's lose that vote.

the progressive left will argue that it's important to offer critique and put pressure on centrists like biden to keep them honest and to remember what's important.  so either message board/twitter people have an impact or they don't.  but it's hypocritical and short-sighted to assume shitting on someone online* will have an effect on policy position, but not on voters.  you can't have it both ways.  and something tells me this is just cover so they* can say the shit they want to say and justify it. 

*i'm speaking in broader terms here, including everyone who's behaving this way online, not singling out one specific person on a longhorn message board

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

obviously sports don't really work in general, because we as fans have nothing to do with it, whereas voters do.

Fans have a lot to do with a team's success. Far more than a single voter to a presidential candidate, probably. Fan support for a team determines its resources, which determines its facilities and coaching, which in turn determine recruiting.

and you never know when you're going to run into an impressionable voter.  bt isn't going to swing the election.  but if there are enough bt's on enough message boards, then who knows what impact that could have on a closer race, or something down-ballot on a local level.  plenty of people have had it with trump/the gop and are ready to vote straight d without even knowing who they're voting for.  if that person stays home, all those d's lose that vote.

And what if someone sees the completely uncritical and blind cheerleading along with the angry, hornet's nest squashing of dissent and thinks, "Democrats are just as blind and tribalistic as Republicans" and that turns them off of voting for Democrats?

Maybe there are people who would see a healthy debate among similarly-aligned people and think, "OK, these guys aren't terrified of critical thought so maybe they'll be worth paying attention to and working with."

I mean, if we're building complete fantasy worlds in our heads, why not that one?

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Trump or Biden is a binary choice. By not choosing Biden, you are supporting Trump.

If we had compulsory voting in America, this might be logical. But we don't, so it's not.

It's exceedingly easy for Joe Biden to earn my vote. It's impossible for Trump to earn my vote. You know this, but you've got to find reasons to argue with me, so even if I promised to vote for Joe no matter what, you'd find a new thing.