Moby Ric

Yellowstone

The best time was in college during field camp. The camp site over had two coach buses full of backpackers from Germany. To put it mildly the German ladies were into the strapping geologists from Texas. We had an amazing two nights there.

It got rowdy. I still don’t know how I functioned the following mornings hiking into avalanche canyon and cascade canyon. 

Great pics, [mention=1546]shnsajax[/mention]. Jenny Lake?
I spent the day not too far south from you, fishing on the Idaho side near Star Valley.

Was Jackson Lake in the Colter Bay. Wife’s pics as I am stuck in Boise for work.

d5ede7b54aea45cb669d6b16c2c4a3fd.jpg

Last night in Boise the sky was impressive though.

7f9d880bd72579948bd9f3f06f6285c1.jpg

Yellowstone chose its backcountry campsites well. And the system works well. I took then wife of 25 on a trip to roadless geyser area. She loved it. You can get there by canoe, hiking over the Continental Divide or pack animal. The campsites are primitive for the most part. The lake is clear with hungry trout. Beautiful sunsets. Warm tent. The West Texan in me dreams of places like Yellowstone.

Don't forget reservations - back then it was a year in advance. It is the least expensive way to stay in Yellowstone and it is . . . what makes Yellowstone so special. 

Having a secluded geyser basin to carefully explore was awesome.

Texans must have built the hiking trail - the first geyser as you start your hike is to the very cool Lone Star Geyser. That's when all the other people turn back and the the trail becomes secluded. We saw no one on the trail. You hike through a gentle cool forest and down to the lake. It's a long hike. But there are interim campsites available for those who want to take it easy. When the lake finally opens up for viewing, she is picturesque. It is a big lake. 2nd largest in the park. And it is not on any road.

Conservationists took good care of Yellowstone. 

So we're heading to Sheridan, WY for a baptism next week (impromptu) and decided we can't take the kids all the way out there and not hit up Yellowstone.  The way our schedule sits with the baptism and having to get back to IN for summer school that my wife is teaching, we have 2 nights and 3 days to spend in the park.  We booked an Airbnb in Cody.  

I am going in on this blind and after reading this thread and other sites, I am feeling overwhelmed with just how much there is. 

I'll take recs on anything from restaurants to eat at, stuff to do, sites to see, roads to travel, etc.  Our sons are 10 and 3, so we can't do stuff that's too extreme.   

1 hour ago, BlueGreySky said:

So we're heading to Sheridan, WY for a baptism next week (impromptu) and decided we can't take the kids all the way out there and not hit up Yellowstone.  The way our schedule sits with the baptism and having to get back to IN for summer school that my wife is teaching, we have 2 nights and 3 days to spend in the park.  We booked an Airbnb in Cody.  

I am going in on this blind and after reading this thread and other sites, I am feeling overwhelmed with just how much there is. 

I'll take recs on anything from restaurants to eat at, stuff to do, sites to see, roads to travel, etc.  Our sons are 10 and 3, so we can't do stuff that's too extreme.   

If Cody is your home base, get up super early one morning and hit the Lamar River Valley to catch some amazing wildlife.  Get there by like 5am.  I'm sure @Pato del Muerto has some good recs too.

PM sent. To be at lamar valley by 5 am you will need to leave Cody by 3 am and don’t take the park, take the Chief Joseph Memorial Highway to Cooke City Montana and go in the NE gate. But that drive would be wasted in the dark, not to mention a little scary with all the switchbacks. 

PM sent. To be at lamar valley by 5 am you will need to leave Cody by 3 am and don’t take the park, take the Chief Joseph Memorial Highway to Cooke City Montana and go in the NE gate. But that drive would be wasted in the dark, not to mention a little scary with all the switchbacks. 

So he should do it?