Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
Grandioso

Active Measures, Disinfo, Propaganda

35 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Joke's on the yayhoos writing those books -- the kids don't read them and the teachers don't use them. The whole thing is a colossal scam and an opportunity for the SBOE members to grandstand.

Source: me, with kids in Texas public schools continuously since 2001. 

Um, they get paid either way.

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Um, they get paid either way.

Well, yeah, but they aren't filling our kids heads with lib-triggering paytratizm which is what they want their constituents to believe.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Where does the government or even a person place an order for multiple guillotines?  Just asking questions.

On 5/4/2020 at 10:33 PM, TDunk said:

Where does the government or even a person place an order for multiple guillotines?  Just asking questions.

The government?  First, you have to find a pal of Kushner who says he can build them.  Then, he gets a contract for $500k per unit.  Then, he farms them out to a factory in Manila to make them for $50 each.  Then, he gets paid.  Then, he never delivers them.  This is the way.

Covering the right wing conspiracy theory branches of the internet must be a horror show right now. 

On another thread, someone mentioned Facebook having Plannedemic as being a thing. So before I set about the day's work, I spent some time on Twitter (since I don't have Facebook and its platform is harder to gain access to w/o joining, esp since people often make accounts restricted.) It didn't take long to locate (I stopped counting) hundreds of tweets with that hashtag. When one visits the account, nine time out of ten the account was created in the last several months. Usually not too difficult to spot bot accounts. Since I don't have an account, I can't really report them easily, but tbh it would take me hours because that is ONE hashtag. One. Those right wing conspiracy theorists multiply like tribbles but they are aided by the bots to amplify and reinforce the idea, the cohesion, the solidarity in numbers.

I don't envy the FBI trying to keep tabs on the extremist cells plotting for violence.

I'm currently listening to an audio book about the most senior KGB officer to ever be a double agent (The Spy and The Traitor).  He was recruited by MI6 and by the time he defected he was a colonel in the KGB and the London Residentura.

One of the documents he passed along was the Soviet Active Measures Playbook.  It outlined their plans to use media and leftwing organizations to plant stories and how they could try and damage Margaret Thatcher and Reagan.

The Russians have been at this for a long ass time and it's wild how it's come full circle.  They don't care about Left or Right or Republican or Democrat or Labor or Tory - they'll get in bed with anyone to damage the West and advance Russian global influence.

(Really great book, btw.)

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I'm currently listening to an audio book about the most senior KGB officer to ever be a double agent (The Spy and The Traitor).  He was recruited by MI6 and by the time he defected he was a colonel in the KGB and the London Residentura.

One of the documents he passed along was the Soviet Active Measures Playbook.  It outlined their plans to use media and leftwing organizations to plant stories and how they could try and damage Margaret Thatcher and Reagan.

The Russians have been at this for a long ass time and it's wild how it's come full circle.  They don't care about Left or Right or Republican or Democrat or Labor or Tory - they'll get in bed with anyone to damage the West and advance Russian global influence.

(Really great book, btw.)

Putin wants civil war in the United States. The Soviet Union is dead and took Soviet Communism with it. Russia is a regional power with a long history. It is run by market-oriented oligarchs, thugs and gangsters - Eurostyle. It is an adversary. 

But the larger world issue has been our pivot away from China. China, like Russia, manipulates using persuasion architecture  - like the algorithms online. They work. Need 270,000 votes, there are algos for that. 

We know that, as do our adversaries. 

Our AI overlords are smart.

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Precise work by that algo. Depends on the inability to unring a bell for effectiveness. 

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Pretty good “refresher” on the tactics new and old.

What blows my mind a bit, from a historical perspective, is that in 2020, basically, we are fighting a war against a massive conspiracy theorist army.  We aren't fighting "conservatives" or "right wing policies".  We are fighting purely made up conspiracies that 60 million+ Americans gleefully believe.  This has never happened before in America.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What blows my mind a bit, from a historical perspective, is that in 2020, basically, we are fighting a war against a massive conspiracy theorist army.  We aren't fighting "conservatives" or "right wing policies".  We are fighting purely made up conspiracies that 60 million+ Americans gleefully believe.  This has never happened before in America.

Many of our hot wars during the Cold War were based on the grand communist conspiracy and domino theory.  Much of it was bullshit but the consequences were not.

ETA: the difference back then is most of the population was united in believing the bullshit.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Many of our hot wars during the Cold War were based on the grand communist conspiracy and domino theory.  Much of it was bullshit but the consequences were not.

ETA: the difference back then is most of the population was united in believing the bullshit.

Eh, I think the communist/domino theory was quite valid.  The Soviets would have loved to have another Cuba in the western hemisphere and were actively pursuing that agenda in multiple countries in Central and South America (and Africa for that matter, with greater success).

It happened in Vietnam, but it turns out that another ChiCom puppet sharing a border with China was not much of a threat.  

Turns out that the efforts in the Americas probably wouldn't have resulted in much of a threat, either.  But that's some nice hindsight.

Now, was that legitimate interest manipulated by various interests for fun and profit and to the detriment of those Central and South American countries?

You bet your fur.

• There's been a surge in bot activity in the past month in online discussions about reopening America from COVID-19 shutdowns, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University said this week.
  • The researchers analyzed over 200 million tweets discussing COVID-19 and found that roughly half the accounts were likely bots.
  • They identified the bots by looking for accounts that tweeted more frequently than humanly possible or whose location appeared to rapidly switch among different countries.
  • It's unclear who's behind the surge in bot activity or whether they're originating from the US or abroad.

23 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
  • There's been a surge in bot activity in the past month in online discussions about reopening America from COVID-19 shutdowns, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University said this week.
  • The researchers analyzed over 200 million tweets discussing COVID-19 and found that roughly half the accounts were likely bots.
  • They identified the bots by looking for accounts that tweeted more frequently than humanly possible or whose location appeared to rapidly switch among different countries.
  • It's unclear who's behind the surge in bot activity or whether they're originating from the US or abroad.

This is madness. Twitter has to get a hold of this shit. Wouldn’t a simple “I’m not a robot” before posting suffice?  

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is madness. Twitter has to get a hold of this shit. Wouldn’t a simple “I’m not a robot” before posting suffice?  

I've suggested this many times and really don't understand why they don't do that. It would stop a WHOLE lot of shit.

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion