Baboontyme

Android Thread

15 hours ago, crash_davis said:

IMO there's no reason for 5G on your phone. In everyday normal use, you will never know the difference between 4G/LTE and 5G. Short of hotspot for your laptop, there are no apps which will take advantage of the 5G. The downside is more expensive phones and worse battery life since 5G will be a battery hog.

the new qualcomm chipset for 5G requires a separate modem for both 4G and 5G from the main processor chip.  battery life is going to take a hit. 

31 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the new qualcomm chipset for 5G requires a separate modem for both 4G and 5G from the main processor chip.  battery life is going to take a hit. 

4G was the same. it took a few years for the carriers, qualcomm, and the oems to sort out and efficiently perfect 4G performance. i'll eventually upgrade to a 5G phone, but it will be another 2 or 3 years. by then 5G will be ubiquitious, and 5G will filter down to affordable mid-range phones. 

great video on camera phone blind test. he did this last year and the same general theme won out.

i'm not a photography guy. however, i do consider myself an audiophile guy. clarity and brightness for photography are like bass for everyday music listeners. it seems that they are the main, maybe the only, criteria for judgement.

it appears that mostly only photographers and photography enthusiast care about color, depth, focus, dynamic range, etc. every day people just want brighter, clearer photos. screw artistry and sensor size. in music, mostly only audiophiles care about balanced, neutral sound with even highs, mids and low/bass ranges. every day people think the more bass, the better SQ and the respective equipment. i can't stand uneven sound, from overly bassy beats/sony headphones stuff to insufferable highs of klipsch loudspeakers. but there are a millions of people who love beats and klipsch.

so in summary, it doesn't matter what the critics say about phone cameras. most people have no idea or care what makes a "great" camera. i include myself in that category. so whatever phone you have, the camera is most probably great enough for your liking and needs.

I finally figured out why people were bitching about the "notch" in the pixel 3XL (and maybe other pixels). I did my first video call with it and it cuts off heads. It never bothered me for other stuff, but that kind of sucked. 

Not sure if there is any work around. I can't see how there is. It's not part of the screen. I was using Google Duo.