2019 Body Transformation Thread

I'm back! And fatter than ever!

Not really, but I did gain a bunch.  Ate like a fat, stupid pig.  I started a fast Monday around 5pm.  So I'm roughly 50 hours in.  I'm down 7 lbs.  Getting rid of that water weight feels good.

I've been eating crap, and over the weekend I just realized that I didn't feel good.  Apart from the weight gain, which sucks ass, I just felt gross after I ate.  I'd eat too much, or too much sugar, and just feel heavy and lethargic.  2 days of fasting and that feeling is instantly gone.  I have to remember that eating pizza or ice cream feels good in the moment, but makes my body feel like ass afterward.  I feel great when fasting despite the tinge of hunger that comes and goes.

From Sunday night to Monday, I slept 12 hours.  Really caught up on my sleep.  I polished off some leftover pizza around 4pm and decided then to stop eating for awhile.  I came home from work 12 hours into my fast with a worsening headache.  I went straight to bed and slept another 9 hours.  Day 2 was fine.  Got up today and mowed most of the lawn in 99 degree heat.  I'll mow the rest tomorrow.  Day 3 is going ok as well. 

I was thinking about fasting with scale feedback.  Fast until I lose 10 lbs, then eat a Keto meal, then fast again for the next 10 lbs.  But 2 days in and I'm 7 lbs down.  10 lbs will come too quickly, I think.  So for the first fast, I'm trying for a week or so, then switching to the 10 lb fast intervals.  That's a rough goal.  10 lbs may end up being too much and I'll alter it. 

I won't lie.  I'm already looking forward to my meal.  I'm thinking a ribeye with broccoli and pan-fried zucchini.

• Like 1

Well had a very shitty monday afternoon that stressed me the fuck out.. so I caved in.. didn't actually eat lunch or dinner.. just had 3-4 beers. The stress was still around tuesday and I was extremly hungry so made a bad decision of going and getting a double hamburger with the bun at murphys deli. it was filling and that and a glass of milk was calming. Got to learn to deal with stress in a healthy way.. its going to happen. Beer and carbs aren't the way to fix it.. overall still down 7lbs in 6 days but up 3lbs from where I was yesterday morning. 
Deciding if I'm starting my fast tonight or having a full 2 days of being back on keto first.. just see how I'm feeling today. 
Time for ACV, cheese stick, and some coconut oil to hold me over till lunch. 
What is ACV? Between the fourth and my birthday a few days later I had a decent amount of carbs. Also on a road trip so ots been hard to stay keto. I had a salmon cream cheese scramble this morning in Jackson hole that changed my life. Will be adding it into the rotation when I get home though.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

What is ACV? Between the fourth and my birthday a few days later I had a decent amount of carbs. Also on a road trip so ots been hard to stay keto. I had a salmon cream cheese scramble this morning in Jackson hole that changed my life. Will be adding it into the rotation when I get home though.

Apple cider vinegar. I usually take a tablespoon in some water (don't drink it straight or will burn throat.. get the one with the mother still in it). 

Started my fast at midnight... gotta stay strong through saturday night.. likely break sunday for brunch. 

10 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

It typically takes a few months to get in to the routine of going to the gym.  It did for me.  Now it feels weird to not go.

Also, make sure you weigh yourself at the same time every time you get on the scale.  You don't want to be throwing yourself off if you see an increase.  Most people weigh themselves right when they wake up after they take a deuce and before any coffee/food.

Exactly. after the deuce but before the shower. 

Apple cider vinegar. I usually take a tablespoon in some water (don't drink it straight or will burn throat.. get the one with the mother still in it). 
Started my fast at midnight... gotta stay strong through saturday night.. likely break sunday for brunch. 
Oh I was way overthinking that. I usually just take a swig in the morning before my coffee and mct oil.
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 10:25 AM, msudawg said:

I won't do it forever but I throw everything i do in myfitnesspal. short of restaurant items they have a lot of stuff in the diary section already. set your macros up and go.. you can even scan barcodes now to find items.  Time for a steak salad at roti.. 

I've been doing this. It's working.

What I like best about it is that I'm getting that graph action, seeing the math behind the calories eaten and expended. It's like playing a game at this point.

I think it's making the whole process more sustainable in the long run. Which is the real trick, right? Not just to lose it, but to keep it off for good.

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I've been doing this. It's working.

What I like best about it is that I'm getting that graph action, seeing the math behind the calories eaten and expended. It's like playing a game at this point.

I think it's making the whole process more sustainable in the long run. Which is the real trick, right? Not just to lose it, but to keep it off for good.

Good deal. I noticed my pro version is off now, so I can't adjust my macros on the app... but I CAN on the webpage instead. I set mine at Carbs 6% 30g, Fat 67% 151g, Protein 27% 135g. 

I'll readjust that after another couple of weeks. 

Started my water fast (only water with real salt and green tea allowed) at midnight. So I'm a little over 9 hours in.. at least 63 more to go. Almost back to my weight prior to eating that burger on tuesday. Walked into work this morning from the train station as the "cold front" that blew through yesterday knocked the lows into the 70s this morning. Just have to keep myself busy for next 7 hours before leaving work and going to the gym here at work. Will do 30 minutes to an hour of cardio. 
Goal is to be down to 225 by Monday. 7lbs to go. 

4 hours ago, msudawg said:

Good deal. I noticed my pro version is off now, so I can't adjust my macros on the app... but I CAN on the webpage instead. I set mine at Carbs 6% 30g, Fat 67% 151g, Protein 27% 135g. 

I'll readjust that after another couple of weeks. 

Started my water fast (only water with real salt and green tea allowed) at midnight. So I'm a little over 9 hours in.. at least 63 more to go. Almost back to my weight prior to eating that burger on tuesday. Walked into work this morning from the train station as the "cold front" that blew through yesterday knocked the lows into the 70s this morning. Just have to keep myself busy for next 7 hours before leaving work and going to the gym here at work. Will do 30 minutes to an hour of cardio. 
Goal is to be down to 225 by Monday. 7lbs to go. 

Are you counting calories or just eating whatever you want except for carbs?

27 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Are you counting calories or just eating whatever you want except for carbs?

Not really counting calories... MFP gives me a daily total based on those macros and I watch more so my carb count than anything else, otherwise I will eat when I'm hungry if I'm not fasting. Or if i had say a chicken breast for lunch I would make sure to eat nuts, cheese sticks, and or coconut oil to balance the fat. 

5 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Not really counting calories... MFP gives me a daily total based on those macros and I watch more so my carb count than anything else, otherwise I will eat when I'm hungry if I'm not fasting. Or if i had say a chicken breast for lunch I would make sure to eat nuts, cheese sticks, and or coconut oil to balance the fat. 

Good deal.  Just curious - for that breakdown up there, how many calories is MFP saying that is?

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

Good deal.  Just curious - for that breakdown up there, how many calories is MFP saying that is?

2,019. I use the keto calculator I found on reddit to determine what my %'s should be and what caloric reduction I wanted to do. I went with a 20% reduction in calories for 

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It says my BMR should be 2052kcal for my weight, height, sex, and age. 

Being lightly active puts me at 2527kcal. 

26.5 % body fat based on measurements i put in.. I think it's a little low % wise but hard to know. Says I have 170lbs of lean body mass, so my goal of 185 would be pretty hard to get. 

For now, I put my carbs at 30 since that's manageable. I might drop down to 20g in a month or so. 

As mentioned I did, 135g of protein, as I'm doing some cardio but not strenuous workouts right now. 

Then I decided how much fat I wanted to take in based on how much I wanted to reduce my caloric intake. 20% was the baseline to move to "moderate deficit - fast weight loss" instead of average and easy. 

20 minutes ago, msudawg said:

2,019. I use the keto calculator I found on reddit to determine what my %'s should be and what caloric reduction I wanted to do. I went with a 20% reduction in calories for 

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It says my BMR should be 2052kcal for my weight, height, sex, and age. 

Being lightly active puts me at 2527kcal. 

26.5 % body fat based on measurements i put in.. I think it's a little low % wise but hard to know. Says I have 170lbs of lean body mass, so my goal of 185 would be pretty hard to get. 

For now, I put my carbs at 30 since that's manageable. I might drop down to 20g in a month or so. 

As mentioned I did, 135g of protein, as I'm doing some cardio but not strenuous workouts right now. 

Then I decided how much fat I wanted to take in based on how much I wanted to reduce my caloric intake. 20% was the baseline to move to "moderate deficit - fast weight loss" instead of average and easy. 

Good deal.  I was just curious.  Good luck bud!

Almost 72 hours in and I'm feeling great.  I've only had a couple shots of pickle juice the last couple days, so I might push a bit of sodium and potassium today just to stay ahead of any symptoms.  2 days straight of mowing and weed-eating in the 100 degree heat.  Gets a nice sweat going.

I'm down 9.8 lbs in 71 hours.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Almost 72 hours in and I'm feeling great.  I've only had a couple shots of pickle juice the last couple days, so I might push a bit of sodium and potassium today just to stay ahead of any symptoms.  2 days straight of mowing and weed-eating in the 100 degree heat.  Gets a nice sweat going.

I'm down 9.8 lbs in 71 hours.

Damn good job bud. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I may break my fast around 96 hours.  If not, I'm going 7 days.

Go with what your body tells you... I'm feeling great this morning..now almost 34 hours in. Down 5lbs this morning. so only 2 more till I reach my goal for the fast. 

I might ride mine out through Sunday if I'm still feeling like this. 

• Like 1

I should have done this sooner.  My wife won't keep her hands off me.  Interestingly, I'm still hovering around 207 (6 ft); however, I'm in MUCH better shape, stomach is almost completely flat, arms and chest much better definition.  

I bike 1-2 hours a day.  Drink a couple of V-8's a day, and generally have one very large, caloric meal.  I cut back a bit on the beer.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, msudawg said:

Go with what your body tells you... I'm feeling great this morning..now almost 34 hours in. Down 5lbs this morning. so only 2 more till I reach my goal for the fast. 

I might ride mine out through Sunday if I'm still feeling like this. 

Deciding if I'm following my advice. afternoon has been hell.. so damn hungry. going home to sleep and ignore it for now. 42 hours in. 30 to go. 

Went nuts Friday night and ordered Domino's stuffed cheese bread. First real cheat in probably 2 months so big fucking deal. Hit the scales at 217 this morning and have all my keto meals planned out for the week. I see the doc about this time next month and can't wait to blow her mind. She was a bit of a keto skeptic at first but I'm making a believer our of her.

• Like 1

Broke my fast at exactly 72 hours, last night at midnight... with beef stock and half a central market rotisserie chicken. Then an hour later or so 4 strawberries and 4 cherries.. just a little treat. 

Breakfast this morning was 4 pieces of bacon, 2 fried eggs (in coconut oil) over easy, and then 4 of these coconut flour pancakes that are gonna be a new standyby. so freaking tasty. Then put some Maple flavored syrup..made with monkfruit on them. So goood.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/coconut-flour-pancakes-recipe-cream-cheese-pancakes/

Been taking it wasy today, a few glasses of water but enjoying being able to drink my waterloos again. 

No weight change last 2 days of the fast. still down 13 overall. Gotta get some cardio in.. and plan this week out. 

No alcohol for me until July 31st, my 3rd wedding anniversary. Likely going to have a day out at the spa relaxing with some drinks and then have a special dinner at Wolfgangs 560 (helps when you have connections to the GM). 

Edited by msudawg

more power to to y'all who are fasting.  do what you need to do, but damn, that sounds like a long time to not take in any food.

Been crushing leftover bbq salads all week.  Just greens, brisket/turkey, those crunchy baked cheese wheels (replaces croutons), bacon bits and either buffalo ranch or blue cheese dressing.  Mix in some choc zero and some almond flour cookies for sweets and it's been a good week.  Pro tip for adding peanut butter to the Choc Zero.  If you get one of those little Justins peanut butter single serve things and just squeeze out 1/4 of it onto the choc zero bar, then sprinkle some monk fruit sugar on top of the PB, you have something approaching reeses PB cup, but right at 3-4 carbs.

dropped 1 more lb this week and down to 213.  

4 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Non-scale victories are good as well. Beginning of the year I bought a new life jacket. It was a Liquid Force, size XXL. It no longer fits. My new XL came in today. My goal is to get back to my old Murray, size Large.

3421cda1b6cda56d76f52d340b4422cd.jpg

AWESOME job... I know what you mean. I'm down 14 but haven't changed more than 1lb in past 4 days, put my pants on this morning. tightened my belt.. looked down earlier and was 3 notches in instead of 2. when I started the 1st notch was pushing being too tight. 

Keep it up!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

more power to to y'all who are fasting.  do what you need to do, but damn, that sounds like a long time to not take in any food.

Been crushing leftover bbq salads all week.  Just greens, brisket/turkey, those crunchy baked cheese wheels (replaces croutons), bacon bits and either buffalo ranch or blue cheese dressing.  Mix in some choc zero and some almond flour cookies for sweets and it's been a good week.  Pro tip for adding peanut butter to the Choc Zero.  If you get one of those little Justins peanut butter single serve things and just squeeze out 1/4 of it onto the choc zero bar, then sprinkle some monk fruit sugar on top of the PB, you have something approaching reeses PB cup, but right at 3-4 carbs.

dropped 1 more lb this week and down to 213.  

The leaner you are, the harder it is to go on extended fasts.  If you're really fat like me, fasts are easier.  I could easily go 2 weeks if I could figure out the heartburn.  I bought some ACV and will be using that from Day 3 onward this time.  Hopefully it helps.  I don't plan on going 2 weeks this time.  Just till Friday or Saturday.

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

my heartburn got much better on a keto diet.  I was taking the pepcidAC chewables at least every other day before changing to keto.  Now it's maybe once a week.  

good luck with next 10 lbs

I was worse, on Nexium and Zantac every day for heartburn, haven't taken either in about a year now.

Heartburn and reflux used to be a big deal for me all the time. I got CPAP and it has only bothered me during sleep once in 8 years. 

On a regular diet, I'll get some heartburn while awake and take Tums. On Keto I rarely get heartburn.

On Keto but doing an extended fast...I get heartburn that won't go away. That's what I'm dealing with. Starts at different times on each fast.

I've been doing Keto-ish for a year and a half and my body still goes thru hydration irregularity. I rarely drink just water so I try to make sure whatever I drink does have a lot of ice in it and I'll finish the whole thing. It seems to help with that but still, yeah, I get the "whooshes" sometimes too. I think a lot of that is not so much being uneven (?) in my liquid intake but more my activity level. One day I'll be pretty active and peeing and sweating a bit and all is good. Then another day not so much activity and whoosh, there it is.

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

193.8 this morning. I was stuck at 195-197 for a month. New favorite vegetable is sweet potatoes.

Awesome.  I think I've seen you say you are trying to reintroduce some more carbs at this stage.  Do you have  a target amount of carbs you try to stay under, or do you only have certain carbs for 1 or 2 days a week, or something else entirely?  When you were in the "lose...lose...lose" phase of this what was your target carb limit?

5 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Awesome.  I think I've seen you say you are trying to reintroduce some more carbs at this stage.  Do you have  a target amount of carbs you try to stay under, or do you only have certain carbs for 1 or 2 days a week, or something else entirely?  When you were in the "lose...lose...lose" phase of this what was your target carb limit?

At this point, I'm trying to watch my fat intake.  I'm done with Keto for now.  I've found that since I've been in the 190s, I need carbs to feel better and push myself in the gym.  I'm not really counting calories either.  I typically have chicken/turkey (around 12-16oz/day), a large sweet potato with some butter/yogurt spread (or a double portion of white rice), and a salad with cheese and dressing every day.  It'll amount to around 1600 calories.  Then if I'm still feeling hungry, I'll grab some peanuts in the evening.  When I was in the losing weight phase, trying to get to the low 200s, I was eating less than 20g of carbs per day (Keto).  Since fats are more caloric than protein or carbs, I'm just trying to watch the fat intake.  I switched away from low-carb around 3 weeks ago and feel a lot better throughout the day.  I still do the intermittent fasting thing as I'm lazy and don't want to keep track of calorie counting throughout the day.

To be honest, I could probably up my carb intake if I wanted.  I'm wanting to see how my body reacts to the reintroduction of carbs as I've been low carb for the last year+.  I'll up my protein and carb intake when I hit 190 and see where I go.

• Like 1

we're pretty close diet wise at this point it sounds like.  all i pay attention to is sodium though.  they shove that shit in unhealthy foods so i know if i'm avoiding it i'm eating healthy. i never look at carbs or calories and have maintained my weight between 181 and 185 for almost a year after losing the initial 70lbs.  the last 10 or 12 fell off when i cut way down on dairy.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, Storm the Field said:

Officially back at it. Joined the YMCA in my neighborhood 2 Sundays ago, but only worked out twice last week and drank and ate poorly starting with an after-work HH on Wednesday. 

Decided to finally get serious this week. Have managed to drag my ass to the gym every morning so far and have been eating like I know I should.

I'm one of those people that needs to be in a routine to stick with working out, so if I can just make it to the gym every morning before work for the next 2 weeks or so it should become a habit.

Have settled into a pretty strong gym routine. Been almost every single weekday since this post and even the last two Saturdays.

I've also been pretty good about eating well and laying off the sauce during the week, but still have a bad habit of blowing it out all weekend. Net result being that I'm in much better "shape" (feel stronger and regained some muscle definition) than a month ago but only have dropped 3-4 lbs. Oh well.

I almost caved for a dumb reason last night, but luckily held strong.  I was sitting at work and started thinking about some food I bought Saturday and how I might go out of town this weekend and it'll go bad.  I reasoned that I could eat and break my 50 hour fast, then do another 50 or so hours before the weekend.  But by the time I got home, I was too tired to even cook.  I went straight to bed and slept 9 hours.  I was never hungry.  I was just worried about wasting some veggies.

Now I'm 61.5 hours in and still not hungry.  By yesterday I had regained all but 9 lbs that I lost last week.  Today I'm down 3.2.  That's 12.2 lbs since 7/8. 

I'm going to hit 75 hours before having to consider to break or not.  And I am for sure going out of town this weekend.  We'll see how I feel.

17 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Have settled into a pretty strong gym routine. Been almost every single weekday since this post and even the last two Saturdays.

I've also been pretty good about eating well and laying off the sauce during the week, but still have a bad habit of blowing it out all weekend. Net result being that I'm in much better "shape" (feel stronger and regained some muscle definition) than a month ago but only have dropped 3-4 lbs. Oh well.

We are living a similar life with similar results. I let myself gain 15 lbs over the last two years. My suits started to feel tight this spring, so I decided in June I needed to shed the extra weight.  Have gone to the gym + cardio 4-6 times a week since June 1, eating Keto-ish all but 3-4 meals a week and cutting way back on alcohol Monday-Friday. The problem I have is wine consumption on the weekend. Food and wine is such a big part of our social life, it’s been really difficult to cut that back as far as I need to. I was down 8.5 lbs this morning, but that will probably only be 6.5 by the time Monday rolls around.

Props to those of you who have been able to completely change your lifestyle to get the results you want. 

15 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Food and wine is such a big part of our social life, it’s been really difficult to cut that back as far as I need to.

Same here, especially when football season comes rolling around.  But I've found that if I eliminate or significantly reduce alcohol consumption Monday-Thursday (sometimes even taking Sunday off as well), and otherwise hitting the gym and eating a low-carb, high-fat, keto-ish diet (with the regular cheat meal), I've been able to maintain the best shape since my 20s.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

At this point, I'm trying to watch my fat intake.  I'm done with Keto for now.  I've found that since I've been in the 190s, I need carbs to feel better and push myself in the gym.  I'm not really counting calories either.  I typically have chicken/turkey (around 12-16oz/day), a large sweet potato with some butter/yogurt spread (or a double portion of white rice), and a salad with cheese and dressing every day.  It'll amount to around 1600 calories.  Then if I'm still feeling hungry, I'll grab some peanuts in the evening.  When I was in the losing weight phase, trying to get to the low 200s, I was eating less than 20g of carbs per day (Keto).  Since fats are more caloric than protein or carbs, I'm just trying to watch the fat intake.  I switched away from low-carb around 3 weeks ago and feel a lot better throughout the day.  I still do the intermittent fasting thing as I'm lazy and don't want to keep track of calorie counting throughout the day.

To be honest, I could probably up my carb intake if I wanted.  I'm wanting to see how my body reacts to the reintroduction of carbs as I've been low carb for the last year+.  I'll up my protein and carb intake when I hit 190 and see where I go.

I am now looking at cutting back on the keto diet.  yes, this is a sorta humblebrag, but I hit 210lbs today (I'm 6'7") down from 238lbs and don't want to really lose much more.  I am at a pretty good point where i am not overating and going past what I need for my daily calories.  that was really hard for me regulate when I was eating carbs/sweets/candies.  Those things hit the reward center in my brain like nothing else.  This thread is super helpful and was what got me try keto in the fist place.

@pearlandhorn did you ease back into carbs and see any big spikes in weight?  Or just flip the switch and replace significant portion of your fat intake w/ carbs?

• Like 1