2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

Injury summary, from Joe Cook:

Sam Ehlinger had a shoulder injection. Should be cleared to start running, will be somewhat limited in weight room.

Collin Johnson will probably miss most winter workouts following knee surgery, hopefully have him in spring practice.

Marqez Bimage should be cleared for running and contact.

Caleb Johnson is cleared for running, limited some in the weight room and mat drills.

Josh Moore "same thing."

"Plan is to have all of those guys cleared to participate in spring practice."

Edited by Machinator

Just now, Tex Long said:

I woulda thought that by now Buechele would be doing nothing but going to class and working out on his own. Has he not gotten the offer he wants, or...?

I'm not sure what the tampering rules are, but he might want to graduate first before making his destination public.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I'm not sure what the tampering rules are, but he might want to graduate first before making his destination public.

Isn't that what the Portal's for? 

Charlie had a QB (Max something?) headed here from USC, and that shit was all over the news, up to and including the "oops, he didn't make the grades" debacle.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Right, I forgot that he's in the portal.

The portal's weird - I thought the first mentions when it "opened" in December (22?) was that it only ran until around January 21 or so. That would give some sort of reason for calling it "portal" - although I'd think "window" would be more descriptive. Does the "portal" ever close?

8 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Isn't that what the Portal's for? 

Charlie had a QB (Max something?) headed here from USC, and that shit was all over the news, up to and including the "oops, he didn't make the grades" debacle.

Charlie tried to get Dakota Prukop from Montana and Davis Webb from Tceh. 

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The portal's weird - I thought the first mentions when it "opened" in December (22?) was that it only ran until around January 21 or so. That would give some sort of reason for calling it "portal" - although I'd think "window" would be more descriptive. Does the "portal" ever close?

Portal is the word used in the tech world to describe a website as a centralized services location. If you log into your insurance provider's website, you'd likely be looking at a portal with information on filing claims, explanation of benefits, in-network providers, and the like. It's less of a portal in the stargate sense and more like an elevator panel. 

Anybody catch one of Herman's odd final comments at the conclusion of today's press conference while talking about the next steps for the program  like "Winning the B12 Conference" and still a " Work in Progress " , "Sam Cosmi still weighs 286 lbs", "still got youth at a lot of places", and still evolving and improving.

Herman's odd comment:  " We've still got some guys in that locker room that aren't completely bought in"       (About the 34:30 min mark in Video above)

Edited by LTtxfan

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Anybody catch one of Herman's odd final comments at the conclusion of today's press conference while talking about the next steps for the program  like "Winning the B12 Conference" and still a " Work in Progress " , "Sam Cosmi still weighs 286 lbs", "still got youth at a lot of places", and still evolving and improving.

Herman's odd comment:  " We've still got some guys in that locker room that aren't completely bought in"       (About the 34:30 min mark in Video above)

Could be a Casey Thompson reference

27 minutes ago, Nope said:

Could be a Casey Thompson reference

It followed comments about "youth at a lot of places " on the 2019 Team.   The current roster probably needs some team building and chemistry development with so many older guys graduating.

Was just surprised to hear Herman mention it at today's press conference..... completely understand why it might be a concern for him with such a younger 2019 squad.

Edited by LTtxfan

I think there are some very valid reasons to temper expectations for 2019. We don't want to be Miami's followup act. 

However, I am really impressed by Herman. I think that coaching can basically be broken down in to three elements: recruiting, player development, and game planning. In generaly I'd say they are all equally important and necessary to win championships. I'm not ready to anoint Herman yet but there are good signs for each of those.

Recruiting: back to back top 3 classes.

Player Development: There's a lot of history that good coaches with bad first seasons make big jumps in their second year. Saban is the big example. I remember last offseason there was a lot of talk about how important it was for Herman to perform this year. Connelly talks about it a bit here but doesn't exactly make my point, which is basically that elite coaches win in their second year. They're able to develop players well enough to at least show progress in year 2. So sure, Herman won this year with Charlie's recruits, but we've seen guys develop at every position group under Herman's staff. Let's not forget that Malik was benched in Charlie's last year and DeShon Elliott came from nowhere. I think some of the individual development we saw in 2017 and the jump in 2018 bodes well for Herman's player development.

Game planning:  This is just my personal opinion, but I think bowl games are a big indicator of a coach's ability to game plan. Herman now has two convincing wins in games he entered as the underdog. The Sugar Bowl was an especially great game plan on both sides of the ball. It took awhile to figure out this team's identity, and we had some injuries stack up at times, but overall I was really impressed by game planning throughout the year. 

There are definitely things Herman needs to improve (a still somewhat shaky WR/RB rotation, how he handles redshirts, personal matters, etc.) but Herman is a young coach with a good foundation. He looks like the guy. 2019 is a transition year but if we break double digit wins again I'll be ecstatic for the future.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Don't know but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Players have been sitting out to transfer for a long time before the portal. Even this season before the portal thing went into effect, you had Kelly Bryant and others saying they were going to transfer.

The only thing the portal was created for imo was to try and bring it "above table" for more to see. I'd be interested to see the numbers on this but I wonder of how many entered the portal(non grad transfers) went to a similar school types, stayed or dropped down (i.e. Carter from us to SHSU.) 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-weekend-february-8th-10th/

Tom Herman NSD Press Conference
– CJ Vogel

The annual National Signing Day press conference took place this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. and Texas Head Coach Tom Herman dropped these tidbits regarding the 2019 class and some nuggets regarding the team’s offseason.

Patrick Hudson

Hudson is currently away from the team and will take time to “figure out what he wants to do moving forward. The possibility of returning to the program is certainly on the table.”

Hudson was one of the prized recruits from the 2016 recruiting class but has yet to be a big factor on the field. If you recall, Hudson was hospitalized in September and spent a week in the ICU for heat related cramps and dehydration.

Staff Switch-Up

Not much change in the coaching staff with Herman opting to keep the same personnel from last season, however some notable title changes:

Derek Warehime will be the Special Teams Coordinator.

Craig Naiver’s title on the staff will be co-defensive coordinator.

Finishing the 2019 Cycle

“Recruiting is heading into the right direction. We have the right players, we have the right coaches, and we have the right athletic director.”

Herman ended his press conference with that quote. He said he fully believes Texas is headed in the right direction.

***Javonne Shepherd did sign his LOI today and was announced by the Texas program as a member of the 2019 cycle.

Herman said Shepherd’s family was on campus last week and that was the only college visit his family went on during the entire recruiting process.

Herman also noted that Shepherd is 6’6″ and currently 318 pounds.

***Bru McCoy was announced as a member of the late signing day group despite being on campus for a week already.

Herman said he had a very “minimal” impact on McCoy’s recruitment but praised the relationships his staff was able to build with this cycle’s recruits.

“It is truly built on relationships. When they commit to the University of Texas, it is a decision in which they are not 99%, but they are almost 100% sure.”

Injury Updates

QB Sam Ehlinger – Has been limited in opening weeks of winter workouts.
WR Collin Johnson – Will miss a good majority of winter workouts following knee surgery.
DE Marqez Bimage- Has been cleared for contact and will be ready for the spring practice period.
Herman said all three should be ready to go for spring practice.

Spring Practice 

Key Dates:

Spring Practice begins March 11
Texas Pro-Day is March 27
Orange-White Game is scheduled for April 13 at 6:00 p.m.

Quick Hitters | Team Notes
– Will Baizer

– Per a few sources in the program, when Spring practices start we are expecting redshirt freshman Christian Jones to be working with the 1s as the right tackle.

– Per the same sources, we will be expecting redshirt freshman Rafiti Ghirmai to be trying out the center position this Spring. If you’re familiar with Herb Hand, then this move to a matrix like depth chart shouldn’t surprise you. I don’t expect Ghirmai to stop working other positions, but with Elijah Rodriguez graduating, Texas will be pretty desperate for depth behind Shackelford.

– As we pointed out before, Derek Warehime will be taking special teams duties off of CraigNaivar’s hands, who now has Co-DC added to his title. We’ve talked about this in the past (and it seems obvious now), but once Todd Orlando leaves for a head coaching job, Craig Naivar would likely replace him as defensive coordinator.

– The more I head the more it seems like newcomer Jordan Whittington is blowing up so far during winter conditioning. According to one source, last week he led all skill players in “effort and weight lifting.”

TFB: "– As we pointed out before, Derek Warehime will be taking special teams duties off of Craig Naivar’s hands, who now has Co-DC added to his title. We’ve talked about this in the past (and it seems obvious now), but once Todd Orlando leaves for a head coaching job, Craig Naivar would likely replace him as defensive coordinator."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If/when Orlando leaves, Herman should be careful to avoid The Peter Principle in his next DC hire by just elevating Naivar.  Hopefully CDC encourages Tom to build and grow his list/contacts now for a future DC hire.

Saban really screwed up by moving Lupoi from LB coach to DC..... Major Bust as DC!!

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/01/why-tosh-lupoi-leaving-alabama-was-long-expected.html

Edited by LTtxfan

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

TFB: "– As we pointed out before, Derek Warehime will be taking special teams duties off of Craig Naivar’s hands, who now has Co-DC added to his title. We’ve talked about this in the past (and it seems obvious now), but once Todd Orlando leaves for a head coaching job, Craig Naivar would likely replace him as defensive coordinator."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If/when Orlando leaves, Herman should be careful to avoid The Peter Principle in his next DC hire by just elevating Naivar.  Hopefully CDC encourages Tom to build and grow his list/contacts now for a future DC hire.

Saban really screwed up by moving Lupoi from LB coach to DC..... Major Bust as DC!!

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/01/why-tosh-lupoi-leaving-alabama-was-long-expected.html

Lupoi was known through his whole career as a recruiting rainmaker more than an x's and o's guy. Naivar's an energetic recruiter, but he's also been a DC before multiple times. Plus he'll run the system that Orlando has recruited for (so we won't need to turn over the roster to make things work).

50 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lupoi's main coaching qualifications were his ability as a bagman and "Polynesian ties" - that's about it.  The error was in elevating a guy to DC who was primarily a recruiter.

"Per the same sources, we will be expecting redshirt freshman Rafiti Ghirmai to be trying out the center position this Spring. If you’re familiar with Herb Hand, then this move to a matrix like depth chart shouldn’t surprise you. I don’t expect Ghirmai to stop working other positions, but with Elijah Rodriguez graduating, Texas will be pretty desperate for depth behind Shackelford."

I like this move, if true. But that leads me to wonder where they're putting Kerstetter at (guessing guard, assuming Cosmi at LT and Jones at RT.)

Also, this may be semantics here is there a difference between manufactured depth and this "Matrix" system Hand is using? We got really lucky last year with the lack of injuries and didn't see much except when Shack got hurt. 

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

"Per the same sources, we will be expecting redshirt freshman Rafiti Ghirmai to be trying out the center position this Spring. If you’re familiar with Herb Hand, then this move to a matrix like depth chart shouldn’t surprise you. I don’t expect Ghirmai to stop working other positions, but with Elijah Rodriguez graduating, Texas will be pretty desperate for depth behind Shackelford."

I like this move, if true. But that leads me to wonder where they're putting Kerstetter at (guessing guard, assuming Cosmi at LT and Jones at RT.)

Also, this may be semantics here is there a difference between manufactured depth and this "Matrix" system Hand is using? We got really lucky last year with the lack of injuries and didn't see much except when Shack got hurt. 

Getting spring reps at different OL spots to provide depth seems necessary for the guard and center positions..  Not surprised if Jones only practices at one spot (RT) during spring since he is still so inexperienced at American Football.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Lupoi was known through his whole career as a recruiting rainmaker more than an x's and o's guy. Naivar's an energetic recruiter, but he's also been a DC before multiple times. Plus he'll run the system that Orlando has recruited for (so we won't need to turn over the roster to make things work).

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Lupoi's main coaching qualifications were his ability as a bagman and "Polynesian ties" - that's about it.  The error was in elevating a guy to DC who was primarily a recruiter.

I'm familiar with both Lupoi and Naivar's coaching backgrounds.  If Orlando leaves, just not sure yet that Naivar should be next DC at Texas when there may be better DC's available.  CDC should encourage Herman to take his time to be sure he is hiring the best replacement.

Saban is a great coach but made an arrogant mistake elevating Lupoi to DC..... Just don't want Herman to make a similar mistake if/when Orlando leaves.

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm familiar with both Lupoi and Naivar's coaching backgrounds.  If Orlando leaves, just not sure yet that Naivar should be next DC at Texas when there may be better DC's available.  CDC should encourage Herman to take his time to be sure he is hiring the best replacement.

Saban is a great coach but made an arrogant mistake elevating Lupoi to DC..... Just don't want Herman to make a similar mistake if/when Orlando leaves.

Are there any high-end DCs who also run 3-4s we might want?

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Are there any high-end DCs who also run 3-4s we might want?

Aranda at LSU is pretty damn good.  I wouldn't mind raiding the upper middle class of the SEC again either.  Mack treated them like his farm system for years.

Edited by sushihorn
came in first loser again
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Aranda at LSU is pretty damn good.  I wouldn't mind raiding the upper middle class of the SEC again either.  Mack treated them like his farm system for years.

Looking for DC's...... In below article, 3 were mentioned related to some newer innovations slowing down rpo offenses:

My research team and I have been tracking this Simulated Pressure System for a few years. It’s the brain-child of some of the most effective defensive minds in all of football…

• Dave Aranda, Defensive Coordinator, LSU
  • Pete Golding, Defensive Coordinator, Alabama
  • Ron Roberts, Defensive Coordinator, University of Louisiana

https://td328-5f8d55.pages.infusionsoft.net

The Simulated Pressure System

"The low-risk, high-reward pressure package that is super-easy for defensive coordinators—and a flat-out “nightmare” for offensive coordinators, quarterbacks, o-line coaches, and running backs… because it gives your defensive coordinator the ability to dictate, then manipulate protection schemes."

If you haven’t heard of Simulated Pressures, or “Replace” blitzes as they are also known, don’t worry. You’re not alone. It’s the hottest new pressure trend this off-season—and for good reason. This new pressure system flat-out keeps offensive coordinators in a lose/lose situation by bringing control back to the defense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Looking for DC's...... In below article, 3 were mentioned related to some newer innovations slowing down rpo offenses:

My research team and I have been tracking this Simulated Pressure System for a few years. It’s the brain-child of some of the most effective defensive minds in all of football…

• Dave Aranda, Defensive Coordinator, LSU
  • Pete Golding, Defensive Coordinator, Alabama
  • Ron Roberts, Defensive Coordinator, University of Louisiana

https://td328-5f8d55.pages.infusionsoft.net

The Simulated Pressure System

"The low-risk, high-reward pressure package that is super-easy for defensive coordinators—and a flat-out “nightmare” for offensive coordinators, quarterbacks, o-line coaches, and running backs… because it gives your defensive coordinator the ability to dictate, then manipulate protection schemes."

If you haven’t heard of Simulated Pressures, or “Replace” blitzes as they are also known, don’t worry. You’re not alone. It’s the hottest new pressure trend this off-season—and for good reason. This new pressure system flat-out keeps offensive coordinators in a lose/lose situation by bringing control back to the defense.

Aranda and Golding are some of the only DC names I don't think Texas can pull. Unless Aranda wants to get away from O, LSU is committed to keeping him. Bama won't let Golding go either. OU wanted him but I think he's going to be Saban's successor. 

I think it's fine to prep Naivar for the duties. It's not like he's taking over next year. If we give him some of the responsibility now, Herman and Orlando will have a better idea whether he's ready for the full gig by the time Orlando leaves. We aren't anointing him or anything so I really see no reason to be critical of this move. 

I've heard good things about Jones too. It's a really fantastic development that he is projecting as the starter. Cosmi - Parker Braun (pls) - Shack - Okafor - Jones is exciting. Kerstetter is then the swing guy that can sub anywhere and prevent the line from having to shuffle a bunch. Kerstetter seems like he doesn't fit well at any particular position and like he might not have a high ceiling, so I'd love to be able to get him a sneaky redshirt like we did with Okafor. 

I also like moving Ghirmai to C. I hadn't even thought about it but I think he fits well there. We need to have somebody ready once Shack leaves. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

19 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

In the open post from TFB today they said they expect Christian Jones to begin as the starting Right Tackle.

19 hours ago, texifornia said:

Damn. Cosmi and Jones as bookends would be an incredible sign re: our staff's evals.

I'm really excited about a different "Jones".

I'm eager to see what Jacoby "Coby"(?) Jones can do after top level Nutrition and S&C instruction starting from January and taking him through until late August/early September.

I don't normally watch film, because I don't necessarily know what to look for, but he looked like a (fast) man amongst boys in his film and if he can put on 10 to 15 lbs of good weight then he could be a real star this coming year. At least he will be on the field a lot spelling someone else and that kind of stud depth would be a refreshing change from last year.

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah that one /katfid

Let’s not write a JUCO off in his first semester at Texas because there are rumors that he didn’t kill it in the training room while recovering from injury, his first week on campus. Some of this shit takes on a life of its own as though it’s an immutable fact or something. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Let’s not write a JUCO off in his first semester at Texas because there are rumors that he didn’t kill it in the training room while recovering from injury, his first week on campus. Some of this shit takes on a life of its own as though it’s an immutable fact or something. 

Yeah, but Bobby Burton was told this so it must be true.