2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

56 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Pretty funny stuff 

who is the second guy he calls Jeezy?

who is the guy in The Rolling Stones shirt?

Eagles is huge and Huff is jacked as shit. 

Geezy is Gerald Wilbon

Rolling Stones is Bimage, who looks like he’s understandably dropped some weight after the shoulder injury.

• Like 1

Sterns with the half shirt?  Is that a UT issue or Sterns own design.  Don't get me wrong, if I had abs, that's all I'd wear.

OT - the fire Tim Beck thread seems to have fallen back some pages.  Good for him. 

Edited by Lhorn

10 hours ago, Lhorn said:

OT - the fire Tim Beck thread seems to have fallen back some pages.  Good for him.  

Turns out that having an OC who is a glorified position coach and baller recruiter works great when your head coach is one of the best offensive minds and playcallers in the Country and decides to actually call plays.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

What do the references to "Schweddy" mean?  I'm obviously familiar with the SNL skits.  But I don't get the reference in the context of offseason workouts?

Looks like an inside joke that I don’t expect anyone to explain to us 

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Musta missed it back there. What plays are Gas Curry and Take A Safety?

Go Fuck Yourself Bitch is obvious. No idea on Gas Curry, I assume Take A Safety means to literally take a safety. There are situations where that's the best move. I guess Slow Victory means take a snap and hesitate a couple seconds before kneeling. And (FSL) means formation to sideline if I remember right from my high school scrub backup days. All I got from that wristband. 

Bobby Burton: Thursday

Yesterday, we took a glimpse at the number of returning starters for each team Texas will play this upcoming season. Today, let's look at Texas by comparison. Texas returns six starters on offense. The Horns return four starters on defense. Four returning starters on D is FEWER than any opponent the Horns will face this season. And of that four, I include both BJ Foster and Malcolm Roach, neither of whom were necessarily full-time starters.

The numbers make one thing clear. When we discuss the loss of "experience" on the defensive side of the football for the Horns, it's not just talk. It's a legitimate concern because Texas loses more on defense than any of its opponents. That's a big statement, but it's factually correct, and one that shouldn't be disregarded or merely glossed over. Of course, thanks to strong recruiting, the Horns can hopefully replace some of the departures with solid prospects. But the staff won't really know what they have until kickoff of that very first game.

Here's a more-visual look at the "holes" the Texas coaching staff must fill this off-season. I think all those gaps give you a better sense of what Texas is facing this off-season.

Offense

QB - Sam Ehlinger 
RB - Keaontay Ingram 
WR1- Collin Johnson 
WR2 - Devin Duvernay 
WR3 - 
TE - 
LT - Sam Cosmi (move from right) 
LG - 
C - Zach Shackelford 
RG - 
RT -

Defense

DE - Malcolm Roach 
DT/NG - 
DE - 
LB - 
LB - 
Rover - BJ Foster 
NB - 
CB - 
CB - 
S - Brandon Jones 
S - Caden Sterns

For the open starting spots, this is where I come out on each of them.

WR3 
I expect Josh Moore to be tough to beat as the starter. But I also expect a heavier receiver rotation overall this year compared to last year when almost all of the back-ups were true freshman. The drop-off between the top three receivers last year and the top three this year should not be as great given the additional year of seasoning for guys like Moore, Malcolm Epps and Brennan Eagles, as well as the higher pedigree of Bru McCoy, Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington upon arrival.

Tight end 
Cade Brewer is expected to win the starting role but Brewer has yet to prove himself as an elite blocker. Can he truly replace what Andrew Beck gave to this team? It's unclear IMO. Meanwhile, Reese Leitao is well-liked by coaches and is more of an in-line solution at the position. If either of the true freshman are forced into action, they will either be much better than anticipated or Brewer and Leitao are not performing up to snuff.

Offensive line 
Ostensibly, there are three OL spots open with only Zach Shackelford and Sam Cosmi pretty much assured of starting roles. The candidates for the openings are numerous, and even then, it's further complicated by position-by-position opportunities and the possibility of adding an elite grad transfer. For example, Denzel Okafor could be a starter at tackle or either guard spot. Or he could not make the starting line-up at all. At the same time, Derek Kerstetter has also played guard and tackle in his tenure. But he too may not earn a starter's role.

There are also strictly interior prospects like Tope Imade and Junior Angilau, and highly thought of young players like Christian Jones who could be a possibility for the other tackle spot. Throw in a key grad transfer, whether at guard or tackle, and the number of different outcomes we could see increases even more. The only thing I would say is this: Of all the returning players from last year, I expect Okafor to be the one more likely to claim a starting spot than the others. Whether that's because of age/experience or simply overall talent, that's where I come out currently.

Defensive end 
Ta'Quon Graham is the easy choice to man the defensive end spot opposite of Malcolm Roach. Depth behind Graham and Roach is a more uncertain question. Perhaps juco recruit Jacoby Jones will push Graham and/or Roach.

Defensive tackle/nose guard 
Senior-to-be Gerald Wilbon is the next man up. But he could get beat out by Keondre Coburn or Moro Ojomo. No matter the outcome this spring, I foresee a more liberal rotation of the three in 2019 than what we saw with Chris Nelson in 2018.

Linebacker 
What is Texas going to do at linebacker? It's similar to the offensive line openings. There are several candidates but almost no clear-cut outright leaders, other than perhaps Joe Ossai, who came on strong late last year. Even so, Ossai must still prove he can be an every-down player at the position in a conference that puts a lot of pressure on LBs. Jeff McCulloch would appear to be another front-runner for a starting job. But it's unclear if he really has a positional "home". He certainly needs to get stronger against power running teams.

There are also the 2018 signees like Byron Hobbs and Ayodele Adeoye, who we're still waiting to see just how they look this spring from last fall, as well as two 2019 signees in De'Gabriel Floyd and juco transfer Caleb Johnson. Odds are Ossai and McCulloch are the starters, but only if one of the two can become a better middle linebacker. If not, that opens the door for Floyd or Adeoye, who are more true possibilities for that position. And all of this doesn't include Demarco Boyd, who has shown glimpses of being a possible starter in the past, but whose role on the team has yet to be decided following an off-field issue last year.

Cornerback/Nickel

I think Anthony Cook is a likely starter. I think Jalen Green is likely to join him. But keep in mind, neither of them have much experience whereas Kobe Boyce does. Even so, Boyce lacks the upside and talent of Cook and/or Green. If Boyce wins a role, it'll be because one of Cook or Green did not have a good spring IMO. Another factor at corner could be De'Shawn Jamison and possibly Josh Thompson, although Thompson is the early favorite to start at nickel, if the Horns don't move BJ Foster into that role, which wuld give DeMarvion Overshown a more direct route to start at rover. However, a starting group of BJ Foster, Josh Thompson, Jalen Green and Anthony Cook at the corners, nickel and rover spots would put a lot of length, speed and athleticism on the field at a single time.

Edited by satyanash

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Yesterday, we took a glimpse at the number of returning starters for each team Texas will play this upcoming season. Today, let's look at Texas by comparison. Texas returns six starters on offense. The Horns return four starters on defense. Four returning starters on D is FEWER than any opponent the Horns will face this season. And of that four, I include both BJ Foster and Malcolm Roach, neither of whom were necessarily full-time starters. 

The numbers make one thing clear. When we discuss the loss of "experience" on the defensive side of the football for the Horns, it's not just talk. It's a legitimate concern because Texas loses more on defense than any of its opponents. That's a big statement, but it's factually correct, and one that shouldn't be disregarded or merely glossed over. Of course, thanks to strong recruiting, the Horns can hopefully replace some of the departures with solid prospects. But the staff won't really know what they have until kickoff of that very first game. 

Here's a more-visual look at the "holes" the Texas coaching staff must fill this off-season. I think all those gaps give you a better sense of what Texas is facing this off-season. 

Offense

QB - Sam Ehlinger 
RB - Keaontay Ingram 
WR1- Collin Johnson 
WR2 - Devin Duvernay 
WR3 - 
TE - 
LG - 
C - Zach Shackelford 
RG - 
RT -

Defense

DE - Malcolm Roach 
DT/NG - 
DE - 
LB - 
LB - 
Rover - BJ Foster 
NB - 
CB - 
CB - 
S - Brandon Jones 
S - Caden Sterns

WR3 
I expect Josh Moore to be tough to beat as the starter. But I also expect a heavier receiver rotation overall this year compared to last year when almost all of the back-ups were true freshman. The drop-off between the top three receivers last year and the top three this year should not be as great given the additional year of seasoning for guys like Moore, Malcolm Epps and Brennan Eagles, as well as the higher pedigree of Bru McCoy, Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington upon arrival.

Tight end 
Cade Brewer is expected to win the starting role but Brewer has yet to prove himself as an elite blocker. Can he truly replace what Andrew Beck gave to this team? It's unclear IMO. Meanwhile, Reese Leitao is well-liked by coaches and is more of an in-line solution at the position. If either of the true freshman are forced into action, they will either be much better than anticipated or Brewer and Leitao are not performing up to snuff.

Offensive line 
Ostensibly, there are three OL spots open with only Zach Shackelford and Sam Cosmi pretty much assured of starting roles. The candidates for the openings are numerous, and even then, it's further complicated by position-by-position opportunities and the possibility of adding an elite grad transfer. For example, Denzel Okafor could be a starter at tackle or either guard spot. Or he could not make the starting line-up at all. At the same time, Derek Kerstetter has also played guard and tackle in his tenure. But he too may not earn a starter's role.

There are also strictly interior prospects like Tope Imade and Junior Angilau, and highly thought of young players like Christian Jones who could be a possibility for the other tackle spot. Throw in a key grad transfer, whether at guard or tackle, and the number of different outcomes we could see increases even more. The only thing I would say is this: Of all the returning players from last year, I expect Okafor to be the one more likely to claim a starting spot than the others. Whether that's because of age/experience or simply overall talent, that's where I come out currently.

Defensive end 
Ta'Quon Graham is the easy choice to man the defensive end spot opposite of Malcolm Roach. Depth behind Graham and Roach is a more uncertain question. Perhaps juco recruit Jacoby Jones will push Graham and/or Roach.

Senior-to-be Gerald Wilbon is the next man up. But he could get beat out by Keondre Coburn or Moro Ojomo. No matter the outcome this spring, I foresee a more liberal rotation of the three in 2019 than what we saw with Chris Nelson in 2018.

Linebacker 
What is Texas going to do at linebacker? It's similar to the offensive line openings. There are several candidates but almost no clear-cut outright leaders, other than perhaps Joe Ossai, who came on strong late last year. Even so, Ossai must still prove he can be an every-down player at the position in a conference that puts a lot of pressure on LBs. Jeff McCulloch would appear to be another front-runner for a starting job. But it's unclear if he really has a positional "home". He certainly needs to get stronger against power running teams.

There are also the 2018 signees like Byron Hobbs and Ayodele Adeoye, who we're still waiting to see just how they look this spring from last fall, as well as two 2019 signees in De'Gabriel Floyd and juco transfer Caleb Johnson. Odds are Ossai and McCulloch are the starters, but only if one of the two can become a better middle linebacker. If not, that opens the door for Floyd or Adeoye, who are more true possibilities for that position. And all of this doesn't include Demarco Boyd, who has shown glimpses of being a possible starter in the past, but whose role on the team has yet to be decided following an off-field issue last year.

Cornerback/Nickel

I think Anthony Cook is a likely starter. I think Jalen Green is likely to join him. But keep in mind, neither of them have much experience whereas Kobe Boyce does. Even so, Boyce lacks the upside and talent of Cook and/or Green. If Boyce wins a role, it'll be because one of Cook or Green did not have a good spring IMO. Another factor at corner could be De'Shawn Jamison and possibly Josh Thompson, although Thompson is the early favorite to start at nickel, if the Horns don't move BJ Foster into that role, which wuld give DeMarvion Overshown a more direct route to start at rover. However, a starting group of BJ Foster, Josh Thompson, Jalen Green and Anthony Cook at the corners, nickel and rover spots would put a lot of length, speed and athleticism on the field at a single time.

Turning over that much beef and every CB and LB with LSU as the second game is a bit scary no matter how highly-touted the incoming guys are, no doubt about it. I still think we win because Herman's got big-game mojo, but still.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Turning over that much beef and every CB and LB with LSU as the second game is a bit scary no matter how highly-touted the incoming guys are, no doubt about it. I still think we win because Herman's got big-game mojo, but still.

Big-game mojo is fine, but LSU is returning a lot from last year. Their 2019 squad will be their best shot at competing for the SEC West title in a while...

Edited by satyanash

Get used to this kind of turnover every year. With a couple more recruiting cycles, maybe even our legendary hand-wringers will stop bring so worried. As a point of comparison, Alabama had 12 players drafted in 2018. That really didn’t seem to hurt them too much on the field this season. That is where we are going and it won’t take much longer to get there. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I would feel similarly if we weren't returning Sam and they were coming in with a QB that wasn't named Joe Burrow. We're less experienced but more talented YoY. It'll be fun.

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Get used to this kind of turnover every year. With a couple more recruiting cycles, maybe even our legendary hand-wringers will stop bring so worried. As a point of comparison, Alabama had 12 players drafted in 2018. That really didn’t seem to hurt them too much on the field this season. That is where we are going and it won’t take much longer to get there. 

Exactly.  LSU's offense is a less balanced and less talented version of Georgia's.  Roach, Wilbon, Graham and Ossai held up just fine against the original.  I'm not terribly worried about the knock off version.  I'm much more concerned about OL depth because their defense was good, they return most of it and they still have Aranda at DC.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Offense

QB - Sam Ehlinger 
RB - Keaontay Ingram 
WR1- Collin Johnson 
WR2 - Devin Duvernay 
WR3 - 
TE - 
LG - 
C - Zach Shackelford 
RG - 
RT -

Defense

DE - Malcolm Roach 
DT/NG - 
DE - 
LB - 
LB - 
Rover - BJ Foster 
NB - 
CB - 
CB - 
S - Brandon Jones 
S - Caden Sterns

WR3 

Tight end 

Offensive line 

Defensive end 

Linebacker 

Cornerback/Nickel

Is Demarco still on the team?  I thought he was "away from the team".

Bobby is a huge bitch and a big pussy.  Losing Wheeler and Hager is a damn upgrade.  Boyd made the same stupid mistakes and penalties you’d expect from a talented freshman.  Nelson was good but he’s no Poona and i expect great production from Wilbon and Coburn.  We’ll miss Gary Johnson but we have some very good talent coming in at LB and Ossai might be the best LB we’ve had in quite some time.  He led the team in tackles against Georgia I believe.  Fuck LSU.  Fucking aggy beat them.  Their offense is pure shit.   Also fuck Bobby bitch ass Burton.

• Like 2