2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

On 2/26/2019 at 10:33 AM, LTtxfan said:

Fuckin Scooters...... ban them!!

Lost David Hamilton on baseball team, now Mpagi gets hurt......

"We’ve heard from a source that early enrollee defensive end Peter Mpagi took a spill on one of those electric scooters a week ago. He is in a boot and walking on crutches.  We don’t think this is too serious of an injury, but it is time he will miss in the weight room."

He's back working with the team.

• Like 1

Shack had a high ankle surgery in 2017 with a recovery time of 4 months..... Not sure if the injury is the same though.  Shack's was described as "likely a Tightrope fixation for ankle syndesmosis, which “damages the soft tissue structures between the tibia and fibula and causes these bones to separate... The TightRope system anchors the ends of the tibia and fibula together with a braided polyethylene cord, rather than with a rigid surgical screw, to restore the original position of the bones and to allow for proper healing.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/4/4/15187334/zach-shackelford-ankle-surgery-dandre-christmas-hernia-texas-longhorns-spring-practice

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Shack had a high ankle surgery in 2017 with a recovery time of 4 months..... Not sure if the injury is the same though.  Shack's was described as "likely a Tightrope fixation for ankle syndesmosis, which “damages the soft tissue structures between the tibia and fibula and causes these bones to separate... The TightRope system anchors the ends of the tibia and fibula together with a braided polyethylene cord, rather than with a rigid surgical screw, to restore the original position of the bones and to allow for proper healing.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/4/4/15187334/zach-shackelford-ankle-surgery-dandre-christmas-hernia-texas-longhorns-spring-practice

Keep in mind foot/ leg injuries take longer to heal for big guys

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Eric Nahlin saying that Rob Cummins has been moved back to defensive line.

What's Cummins history at Texas --  a redshirt, and also an injury right??

Did Herman's staff recruit him?  Is he the player some of the 9.95ers compared to JJ Watts?

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Did Herman's staff recruit him?  Is he the player some of the 9.95ers compared to JJ Watts?

I think that was Andrew Fitzgerald, who no longer plays football at all.

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I wouldn't expect much out of Cummins.  The guy is happy to be in Austin and is fine riding the bench and partying it up.  If he's getting playing time, something went wrong with our D-line

• Like 1

IT guesses at the depth chart entering spring practice:

DEPTH CHART AHEAD OF SPRING PRACTICE

The first lull in the off-season is already almost over. Spring practice begins March 11th and ends on April 13th before the long lull in the off-season.

This will be an exciting spring, perhaps more so than any in recent years. That sounds like something I might write every year, but it isn't every year, at least this decade, where Texas is coming of a big bowl win with a more talented roster than the previous year.

You'll notice I wrote talented and not experienced. When you stack back-to-back top-three classes on top of a roster in need of a major re-build, you're going to increase your talent every year. The spring is for developing that talent, and this spring in particular is in desperate need of development given the talent that did depart. We wish them well at the combine this weekend.

The roster is stacked with NFL talent, though much of that talent is in the younger classes. Fortunately many of them played last year and are ready to take on a larger role.

Next week we'll detail questions heading into spring, this week we'll focus on the depth chart as speculated by sources.

QUARTERBACK

Comments: Keep Sam healthy, get the young guys as many reps as possible. Thompson's passing game needs to catch up to his running ability.

First: Sam Ehlinger
Second: Casey Thompson
Third: Roschon Johnson

RUNNING BACK

Comments: "Interesting group this year. Ingram's already bigger and Whittington already looks like he's been through a full off-season. Let's see if he can take a hit. He looks like he can."

Kirk Johnson wasn't mentioned but he'll be in the mix.

First: Keaontay Ingram
Second: Daniel Young OR Jordan Whittington

WIDE RECEIVER

Comments: I'm still learning how much Collin Johnson or Josh Moore will participate this spring. I'm pretty sure Johnson will miss time. Whether or not these two can go obviously affect the chart. Johnson will start at X, and Moore owns H for now.

"Bru's going to have to win it outright. Josh is good and won't be easy to beat." Moore has put on a little weight, apparently. "Bru's another guy who looks like he's already been through an off-season."

"Eagles has looked good of late. Moving real well and big. He better be careful, he'll find himself at tight end." The implication there is Eagles has put on muscle, but moving to tight end was sarcasm. Eagles has always had that frame.

First: X Brennan Eagles, H Bru McCoy, Z Devin Duvernay
Second: X Malcolm Epps, H Jordan Pouncey, Z Al'vonte Woodard

TIGHT END

Comments: I asked if this was the year Leitao would make a jump. "Ah...we'll see. He always looks great running around in shorts. When the pads come on it's a different story."

Big spring for Brewer to prove he's where he was pre-injury.

I'll be listening for Wiley information. I have a feeling he's going to surprise.

First: Cade Brewer
Second: Reese Leitao
Third: Jared Wiley

OFFENSIVE LINE

Comments: The tackles and center are set, at least for now, but it's imperative they find reliable guards and develop depth across the board.

Christian Jones is coming on but perhaps still a year away. We'll see how much of a jump he makes between now and August.

Patrick Hudson giving up football leaves a hole on the depth chart. It's clear to see how much Parker Braun is needed.

Moore and Ghrimai both began to come on late last year but still aren't quite ready. Good news is they're just lacking strength and experience.

I expect Tyler Johnson to work at tackle first but I wouldn't rule out guard.

First: LT Sam Cosmi, LG Junior Angilau, C Zach Shackelford, LG Denzel Okafor, RT Derek Kerstetter
Second: LT Christian Jones, LG ???, C Rafiti Ghirmai, RG Tope Imade, RT Reese Moore/JP Urquidez/Tyler Johnson

DEFENSIVE LINE

Comments: It'll be tough to replace Charles Omenihu and Chris Nelson but they love the depth they have. D'Andre Christmas-Giles is said to be coming on and could even jump Gerald Wilbon. "He's maturing. When he wants to play, he can play."

I asked about Daniel Carson. I haven't heard his name in a while. "He has the size, power, and talent, he just has to put it all together. Probably a year away still. Could play end or nose, but likely end. He's about 290-300 right now."

Marqez Bimage is still out.

Rob “Beto” Cummins is working with the defensive line.

First: 4i Malcolm Roach, NT Gerald Wilbon OR D'Andre Christmas, 4i Ta'Quon Graham
Second: 4i Jamari Chisholm, NT Keondre Coburn, 4i Moro Ojomo

LINEBACKER

Comments: Probably the biggest question mark on the team but at least there are options and some versatility.

McCulloch can play all three positions. Ossai has repped at Rover along with B-backer. Tillman, Johnson, and Floyd could play Rover or Mac, at least in theory.

Expect Orlando to tinker with Mac and Rover throughout camp.

First: Mac Ayodele Adeoye, Rover Jeffrey McCulloch, B-backer Joseph Ossai
Second: Mac Marcus Tillman OR Caleb Johnson, Rover De'Gabriel Floyd, B-backer Byron Vaughns

SECONDARY

Comments: I asked who benefits the most from Brandon Jones missing camp? "BJ Foster and DeMarvion Overshown. Foster will play boundary which allows Overshown to play dime."

What about when Jones eventually returns? "There are so many possibilities with guys who are too good to have on the bench. If it's possible to recruit too well they did it at safety."

Who wins out between Kobe Boyce and Jalen Green? "Whoever plays with more physicality."

Jamison will cross-train nickel and corner. Brown knows how to play nickel and both safety spots.

First: BCB Anthony Cook, BS BJ Foster, FS Caden Sterns, N Josh Thompson, FCB Kobe Boyce OR Jalen Green
Second: BCB D'Shawn Jamison, BS DeMarvion Overshown, FS Montrell Estell, N Chris Brown, FCB Kobe Boyce OR Jalen Green

• Like 2

I'm not sure how much we'll see the dime defense next season unless we're just really sucking at the LB positions. Off the top of my head, ou, okie lite (big maybe after Gundy made us look foolish) and possibly against baylor we'll be in a dime base. Probably frog too with Cumbie but I'm not sure who their QB is this season and if they're still supposed to be struggling at that side of the ball. 

As I understand it, most of the new HC hires across the conference are coming with more of a traditional, balanced, non pass first approach. I could see Orlando studying up on patterson's 4-2-5 if we can find a reliable mac. 

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm not sure how much we'll see the dime defense next season unless we're just really sucking at the LB positions. Off the top of my head, ou, okie lite (big maybe after Gundy made us look foolish) and possibly against baylor we'll be in a dime base. Probably frog too with Cumbie but I'm not sure who their QB is this season and if they're still supposed to be struggling at that side of the ball. 

As I understand it, most of the new HC hires across the conference are coming with more of a traditional, balanced, non pass first approach. I could see Orlando studying up on patterson's 4-2-5 if we can find a reliable mac. 

TCU QB is probably KSU transfer Alex Delton.  He's the guy who played the 1st half against us this past year and had about 30 yards passing, he's a horrible passer.

Gundy may go with Spencer Sanders ( not 100% sure on this ).  He's a dual threat QB.  Thing is, whoever Gundy's QB is, the 1st three games are against 2 scrubs and Oregon State, they won't see anywhere near the defensive talent as they will against us.

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

TCU QB is probably KSU transfer Alex Delton.  He's the guy who played the 1st half against us this past year and had about 30 yards passing, he's a horrible passer.

Gundy may go with Spencer Sanders ( not 100% sure on this ).  He's a dual threat QB.  Thing is, whoever Gundy's QB is, the 1st three games are against 2 scrubs and Oregon State, they won't see anywhere near the defensive talent as they will against us.

For all the shit I took about Hornibrook, Delton is even more horribad. I can't believe Patterson plans to roll out with him.

Seems like an outstanding runner, shitty passer should be transferring the other way - from TCU to KSU.  I can't see how this works out for Patterson.  Which is not a bad thing.

Edited by Lhorn

On 3/1/2019 at 3:56 PM, Lhorn said:

Seems like an outstanding runner, shitty passer should be transferring the other way - from TCU to KSU.  I can't see how this works out for Patterson.  Which is not a bad thing.

Which is why I said I'm not sure how much of an "air raid" offense they'll have. Dime defense against Delton would be aggy level stupid. 

Justin Wells on Kenyatta Watson:

Texas ‘19 signee Kenyatta Watson II (Grayson, GA) will be at UT on March 28th-April 14th. 

The first week is his spring break. The next is just available time since he’s taken care of most of his senior course work. 

KW2 will attend practices, meetings, and soak up everything in the DB room. 

This kid will show up as close to an early enrollee without actually enrolling early. 

Watson wants to be as prepared as possible. He knows he’s got a chance to play early. 

Anthony Cook has one spot on lock. Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce will battle for the other corner. I’m hearing this will be a big spring for Green, who is expected to take the next step. He’ll need to with Watson looking over his shoulder.

Seeing all The Opening camp updates got me wondering about results for current players on 2019 Texas Roster.  Went back and found some old notes I had..... I think they're from @golfclap

D'Shawn Jamison  -- 5'10" 175 - 4.48 40 -  3.9 shuttle - 36.7″ vertical -  35′ powerball  
Caden Sterns — 6-0.5 - 192 - 4.69 40 - 4.01 shuttle - 37.4 vertical - 36’ powerball
BJ Foster - 6’1” - 193 - 4.52 40 - 4.27 shuttle - 33.7 vertical - 33’ powerball 
Jalen Green — 6-0 - 171- 4.69 40 - 4.01 shuttle — 32.7 vertical - 33.5’ powerball
Anthony Cook - 6’0” - 174 - 4.69 40 - 4.12 shuttle  36.7 vertical - 34.5’powerball 

also :: 
Brennan Eagles - 6-3.5 - 214 - 4.51 - 3.99 shuttle - 37 vertical - 39.0’ powerball

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

These notes obviously don't include the 2019 Class which added even more speed and quickness to the Roster.  Based on other old notes that I had from last spring, the fastest guys were:  John Burt, D'Shawn Jamison & Devin Duvernay..... (Gary Johnson & Kris Boyd were right there in speed too.)

Brandon Jones was also pretty fast .... hopefully he comes back quicker and faster after surgery.

Damn this roster keeps getting better.... 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Justin Wells on Kenyatta Watson:

Hide contents

Texas ‘19 signee Kenyatta Watson II (Grayson, GA) will be at UT on March 28th-April 14th. 

The first week is his spring break. The next is just available time since he’s taken care of most of his senior course work. 

KW2 will attend practices, meetings, and soak up everything in the DB room. 

This kid will show up as close to an early enrollee without actually enrolling early. 

Watson wants to be as prepared as possible. He knows he’s got a chance to play early. 

Anthony Cook has one spot on lock. Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce will battle for the other corner. I’m hearing this will be a big spring for Green, who is expected to take the next step. He’ll need to with Watson looking over his shoulder.

giphy.gif

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

Put your thinking cap on. Here's a question for readers... Assign the following position groups to one of the five categories below for Texas for this upcoming season:

Position groups

- QB 
- RB 
- WR 
- TE 
- OL 
- DL 
- LB 
- CB 
- S 
- K/P

Category expectation for 2019

- National championship level 
- Big 12 championship level 
- 9-win level 
- Good but not a strength 
- Lots of work to do

Tomorrow, I'll post my thoughts. But I wanted to do it this way for this piece to get a better gauge of where fans in general are thinking without jading or biasing your opinion with my justifications and/or opinions.

Texas coaches and staff continue to rave about freshman receiver Bru McCoy. They literally can't stop talking about him. Ever. I know that me writing this doesn't bring you much, if any, new news. Yet when I tell you that McCoy is ALWAYS the first name from an insider's lips, it's very telling to me since I've been doing this for the past 30 years. I genuinely can't remember a single guy who was almost always the first true freshman staff and insiders wanted to talk about from workouts. Heck, Vince Young wasn't always the first name off of coach's lips in his recruiting class. I guess maybe Ricky Williams might be the only legit comparison for his recruiting class and that's been right at 25 years ago.

Look, I don't know if McCoy's going to be eligible next season, and I don't know if his ability and demeanor in off-season workouts are going to necessarily transfer to the football field in the spring and fall. But I can say without any sort of doubt, he is the consensus player in this class that everyone - and I mean everyone - thinks is sure to succeed in a big way and everyone is impressed by.

Please remember to assign those groups. I'm going to add reader votes/calculations into the data.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:15 AM, Sleepygrad said:

doesn't seem too limited based on some of the videos posted

I disagree. They have mostly only shown him participating in drills that only involve the lower body. The one exception I can think of is the video of him doing the tug-of-war drill with the tire, and he was only holding on to his tire with his left arm.   

I still cannot believe we got Bru.  He’ll be starting in the slot after fall camp with CJ and Dev owning the other two.  That’s about as good or a WR unit you will find in the country.  Add Jake Smith, Josh Moore, Eagles, J Whit, Burt, Woodard, and Marcus Johnson and I don’t know if I’d trade our WR room for any other in the country with the exception of maybe bama.  

- QB  - Big 12 championship level 
- RB - Lots of work to do
- WR - Big 12 championship level 
- TE - Lots of work to do
- OL - 9-win level (Thanks to Braun)
- DL - Good but not a strength 
- LB - Lots of work to do
- CB - Lots of work to do
- S - National championship level 
- K/P- 9-win level

Eh some of these could go either way. Tempted to put national championship level for QB and WR. If LJ was back WR would definitely be national champ level.

LB , CB, and TE are just unproven right now. Ultimately I expect them to be at a 9 win level. RB has no depth, otherwise Ingram by himself is definitely 9 win level. 

• Like 1