2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

McMurphy picks us in the Sugar Bowl against Florida

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-projections-for-the-2019-season-02-21-2019/

Spoiler

Sugar Bowl – Jan. 1 (Big 12 vs. SEC)
Projection: Texas vs. Florida

As Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger said after last year’s win against Georgia, “Longhorn Nation, we’re baaccckkkk.” But I’m projecting Texas will be back in the Sugar Bowl again. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. It just means they will finish behind Oklahoma again. With OU in the playoff, Texas would be next in line to take the Big 12’s invite to the Sugar.

The SEC representative will be Florida. The Gators would be next in line from the SEC since I have Georgia and Alabama making the College Football Playoff. If I’m right – and when have I ever been wrong projecting bowls 10 months ahead of time? – it will be the Gators’ first trip to the Sugar Bowl since Jan. 1, 2013.

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-projections-for-the-2019-season-02-21-2019/

Hide contents

As Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger said after last year’s win against Georgia, “Longhorn Nation, we’re baaccckkkk.” But I’m projecting Texas will be back in the Sugar Bowl again. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. It just means they will finish behind Oklahoma again. With OU in the playoff, Texas would be next in line to take the Big 12’s invite to the Sugar.

The SEC representative will be Florida. The Gators would be next in line from the SEC since I have Georgia and Alabama making the College Football Playoff. If I’m right – and when have I ever been wrong projecting bowls 10 months ahead of time? – it will be the Gators’ first trip to the Sugar Bowl since Jan. 1, 2013.

Didn't that shit bird just say Texas was going to regress this year? 

Edit: Preseason ranking at #12. I guess that's okay since we were #15 going into the bowl this year. 

Edited by Eggo

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sterns looking big. Hope he keeps his speed up to go with it. 

How fast is Sterns??

Watching him last year reminded me of a talent like an Earl Thomas that succeeds more on anticipation, reading and reacting faster than most safeties vs the athleticism that Brandon Jones has. During a few plays against BlowU at the Cotton Bowl, Caden was out of position a few times and was unable to recover because he misjudged the speed of the BlowU players.

Best DB that I ever played with was a safety who always had a nose for where the ball was going whether in run support or passing..... often was first to the ball but was our slowest DB.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

How fast is Sterns??

Watching him last year reminded me of a talent like an Earl Thomas that succeeds more on anticipation, reading and reacting faster than most safeties vs the athleticism that Brandon Jones has. During a few plays against BlowU at the Cotton Bowl, Caden was out of position a few times and was unable to recover because he misjudged the speed of the BlowU players.

Best DB that I ever played with was a safety who always had a nose for where the ball was going whether in run support or passing..... often was first to the ball but was our slowest DB.

He's not super fast, but that's my point. I hope hes working on getting faster while bulking up a bit at the same time.

And ET is your example lol? ET was a physical freak. He ran a 4.37 at pro day and pressed 225 21 times at the combine. At 5'10". Sterns will probably never be the raw athlete Thomas was.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

How fast is Sterns??

lol earl ran a sub 4.4 at the combine.  he was one of the fastest safeties in the league.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

And ET is your example lol? ET was a physical freak. He ran a 4.37 at pro day and pressed 225 21 times at the combine. At 5'10". Sterns will probably never be the raw athlete Thomas was.

35 minutes ago, victory88 said:

lol earl ran a sub 4.4 at the combine.  he was one of the fastest safeties in the league.

My Bad folks....... Did not remember Earl T. being that fast.  Earl does such a great job reading and reacting that I've underestimated his speed.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Anyone have this? @Scholz? More interested in the staff contracts and Fedora stuff than the recruiting updates.

Here is the war room without the recruiting part

The Texas Card House War Room (Football staff contracts; Fedora's role; several recruiting updates)
Suchomel
Suchomel
Texas Card House is the official sponsor of The War Room.

Texas Card House is now open at noon every day!

Texas Card House is hosting multiple Day 1s for the Social Card Clubs of Texas $250k Guarantee Spring Poker Tournament, part of the 2019 Texas Poker Championship Series Presented by Ante Up Magazine!

(From Anwar)

Texas football coach Tom Herman’s loyalty has been evident again this offseason.

Herman could have made staff changes after the season ended if he wanted to shake things up. The contracts of running backs coach Stan Drayton, receivers coach Drew Mehringer, tight ends coach Derek Warehime, defensive line coach Oscar Giles, defensive backs coach/recruiting coordinator Jason Washington, special teams coordinator/safeties coach Craig Naivar and receivers coach Corby Meekins were going to expire on March 31. Herman signed each coach to a two-year deal when they were hired, and had to decide their future. Just for clarity, Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando’s contracts expire in 2020, while Herb Hand is under contract until 2021.

As I reported early in January, Herman individually met with his coaches to discuss their futures at Texas and informed each he intends to retain him. Herman wanted to give his staff assurances about its positions at Texas before the American Football Coaches Association Annual Conference in San Antonio.

In fact, the main changes Herman made this offseason were promoting Warehime to special teams coordinator while Naivar has added the title of co-defensive coordinator.

However, there is another detail about Herman’s retention of his coaches that I discovered.

Each signed a one-year deal.

According to multiple sources, nobody was given a two-year or three-year deal after the season. Instead, Herman decided to create an environment where nobody on his staff becomes complacent.

When I asked a source close to Herman about the decision to give each coach a one-year deal, I was given several interesting tidbits.

--- Former Texas football coach Charlie Strong handed out multi-year deals to most of his staff during his tenure. After two 5-7 seasons, Strong was allowed to sign offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert to a three-year, $850,000 contract. Offensive line coach Matt Mattox signed a three-year contract worth $550,000 each year. Gilbert and Mattox coached for only one season and Texas was on the hook for those contracts after Strong and his staff were fired.

In fact, Texas owed Strong $10 million, plus the salaries of several fired assistants.

I learned Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte does not want his program to be in that position again. Del Conte does not want to spend money just because he can. Instead, Del Conte and Herman are working together to be smart about money spent annually.

--- One source wanted to make it very clear to me that Herman’s decision for his coaches to be on one-year deals is not an indictment on the football staff.

Herman is very happy with his football staff and is not looking to make any changes.

Instead, I was told that the one-year deals, “Doesn’t speak to anything other than [Herman’s] guys staying on their toes.” In the past, some coaches have arrived in Austin with great resumés, but did not achieve the same level of success after becoming complacent. Coaches at Texas are paid well, the football program is under a huge spotlight, and they get to live in Austin. Herman does not want anybody on his staff to think “I’ve arrived” and coast on the job. He wants them to have the same sense of urgency they instill into their players every day.

I was told Herman’s message to his staff was very simple. A person close to the situation told me Herman said, “If you’re elite at your job, you never have to worry. Be one of the best in the country at what you do and you’ll never have to worry about losing your job.”

--- A source close to Herman noted one-year deals are the college football standard, and his decision is not out of the ordinary.

In reality, most college football coaches receive one-year deals. Handing out multiple year deals to every coach on staff was an anomaly, not the norm. When Oklahoma football coach Lincoln Riley was hired in 2017, four of his coaches received only a one-year extension. Five coaches received a two-year extension.

Herman is loyal to his staff.

He just refuses to be complacent during the process.

I have been asked so much about the analyst position at Texas that I made flushing out those details for you my top priority this week.

Earlier this week, I reported North Carolina coach Larry Fedora accepted an analyst position at Texas. He flew into Austin last week and attended a staff meeting. After discussing the opportunity with his family, Fedora decided to take the job and will join Herman’s support staff.

Here is a little nugget for you – Fedora should be in Austin by the first week of March, according to my sources.

Okay, so what the heck is Fedora’s job, Anwar?

Typically, analysts do a lot of dirty work. They break down film, chase kids around campus and make sure players are in class, making playbooks, etc. Just think about what your first job looked like.

Fedora is going to do way more than that.

As a former coach, Fedora’s skills will be utilized more during the regular season. That is why he will be asked to do advanced scouting by always staying a week or two ahead. Some of his tasks will involve self-scouting. He will also have the task of scouting opposing teams.

I asked a source to give me an example and was given a scenario.

Herman could approach Fedora and say he heard Oklahoma is really good at running counter plays. Fedora could be asked to pull all the counter plays Oklahoma has run and analyze why the team is successful. After completing that task, Fedora could be asked to present his findings to Herman, or the entire staff.

Fedora will also need to compile scouting reports on opponents. Not a game plan, but a scouting report that entails the strengths and weaknesses of an opponent. Basically, share with the staff everything he sees on video.

The advantage for Texas is having a veteran coach share his expertise with Herman’s staff. Instead of getting that information from a young person who is learning on the job, Herman can hear an analysis from a former coach who is an expert in his profession.

Conversely, the advantage for Fedora is his buyout if worth over $12 million, and this analyst job does not affect that paycheck. Fedora will receive medical benefits as an analyst. In addition, Fedora gets to experience at least nine months of tossing ideas back-and-forth with Herman and discovering a different approach to coaching and running a program. Coaches attend clinics each year, while staffs often visit different programs to exchange ideas. Fedora’s new position is similar to those traditional experiences.

Additionally, Fedora will receive a break from the pressure of recruiting. Fedora can help Texas recruit players on campus (he is not allowed to travel). However, anything thing he contributes will be viewed as a bonus and not a requirement.

Two more analyst nuggets to pass along:

1. A person close to Herman told me Fedora was not hired under the guise of him replacing anyone on staff. During a staff meeting Fedora attended, I was told Herman made it clear to everyone the former coach will be an analyst and this position is not a job interview.

2. There is a possibility Herman will hire six or seven analysts, with three of those positions filled by former head coaches and at least three grad assistants. Former Kansas coach David Beaty is a candidate for an analyst position at Texas, but I do not currently have names of other coaches who could be in the mix. I will keep you posted.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, maninblack said:

Hide contents

Finishing behind OU is not a bad thing?

Anyway the Sugar Bowl is hosting the national championship next year so there will be no Big 12 vs. SEC Sugar Bowl, but he is free to predict we will be in that game. Kind of sad he is predicting match ups for nonexistent bowl games but that is the offseason for you.

Edited by Valmy77

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Finishing behind OU is not a bad thing?

Anyway the Sugar Bowl is hosting the national championship next year so there will be no Big 12 vs. SEC Sugar Bowl, but he is free to predict we will be in that game. Kind of sad he is predicting match ups for nonexistent bowl games but that is the offseason for you.

Only the semis supersede the regular Bowl matchup. There will be a Sugar Bowl, and then the championship:

https://allstatesugarbowl.org/event/86th-annual-allstate-sugar-bowl/

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Only the semis supersede the regular Bowl matchup. There will be a Sugar Bowl, and then the championship:

https://allstatesugarbowl.org/event/86th-annual-allstate-sugar-bowl/

WTF? Could they have made this any more confusing? Ok then next season will have two Sugar Bowls.

Well here is hoping we play in either of those games as Big 12 champions. Fuck OU.

Edited by Valmy77

By the way how is it that everybody is predicting that OU will not miss a step despite losing Kyler Murray? I mean I know that already happened once after they lost Mayfield but surely someday they will have a non-Heisman QB at that school again.

I guess I am just bitter that the assumption is we are going to suck next season because we are losing all those amazing 5-7 Charlie Strong players but OU can lose one of the most transcendent players of the 21st century and be cool.

Edited by Valmy77

Bill Connelly's Rice preview is up: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/21/18226628/rice-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Still, I’d be surprised if Rice isn’t more competitive, and I’m not just saying that because of the near-total lack of 2018 competitiveness. Having a young base means Rice will be awfully volatile, but the good moments could give Bloomgren’s team a shot at a couple of upsets. The goal is to stock on just enough moments to keep growth on pace for 2020.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rvm96 said:

There is a possibility Herman will hire six or seven analysts, with three of those positions filled by former head coaches and at least three grad assistants. Former Kansas coach David Beaty is a candidate for an analyst position at Texas, but I do not currently have names of other coaches who could be in the mix. I will keep you posted.

Gruntled.

IT on offseason workouts

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

Tour of Duty is a three-week competition designed to get guys pushing themselves to their limits ahead of spring practice beginning March 11th. 

By now they've worked out the bumps and bruises from the season as well as the soreness and fatigue from the strains of weight lifting and running. Oh, you guys are used to the workouts, let's up the ante.

How it works is, the coaches drafted teams in order to keep things evenly matched, or as evenly as the coaches' general manager skills allowed. Some of these guys aren't front office types.

Twice a week the competition centers around agility drills, sleds, and tug-o-war. Players race and compete against each other and accumulate points along the way.

Once a week the players do mat drills, which are pure evil. This will often involve a little more physical contact but agility is still important as well.

While Tour of Duty is three days a week, lifting is still four times a week with a lower body/upper body split done twice. Weights are heavy and if they get lighter more reps are added which allows for no break whatsoever.

It sounds like the team is in good condition as evidenced by some guys looking quicker than ever, at least per sources. Some guys who needed to lose weight have (Jeffrey McCulloch), while others have gained weight (Anthony Cook, Keaontay Ingram).

One guy who was surprisingly mentioned specifically was Jamari Chisholm. The staff intentionally red-shirted him and it sounds like he's competing hard for snaps. He's always "looked" the part, which is why the red-shirt didn't really surprise me, but now he's moving better than ever. He's slated to compete at defensive end.

I also heard D'Andre Christmas has looked good. Quickness has always been his game and with agility part of the equation this isn't too surprising, however this is highly intense work. If he's holding up in this regard he's going to see a good amount of snaps. Nose tackle will be highly competitive this spring but it'll probably shake out with Gerald Wilbon, Keondre Coburn, and Christmas all playing quite a bit. Ta'Quon Graham too, depending on down and distance.

We always hear good things about Graham when it comes to these scenarios; he's a hard-working and competitive guy so that's no surprise. Ditto for Joseph Ossai who is in phenomenal shape. 

"Jalen Green is competing his ass off," is a direct quote. They need to muscle him up some but he's getting after it. He hasn't quite filled out like Cook, which is a bit of a surprise, but he has tons of time and adding weight on your body's timeline is preferred to forcing it. While you feel around your midsection in disgust, I'll continue.

I'm still hearing good things about the freshmen enrollees. Mentioned by name were Roschon Johnson, Bru McCoy, and Jordan Whittington. Judging by some pictures that have been made public, Jared Wiley is adapting well to the weight room. That should come as no surprise.

On Roschon we've heard he's already becoming more vocal. He showed up quiet, which is the right thing to do, but he's already getting more comfortable with his role as a leader by default, both vocally and by example. My guy was really excited about him. "Would he be ready this year? Heck no, but will he be ready when Sam leaves? Definitely." His speed in this setting has been noticed and as a dual-threat that's good to hear.

On McCoy I heard he's doing a better job of learning to finish each rep but what sticks out is he's fast. Speed wasn't the main thrust of his evaluation so that's a good thing to hear.

On Whittington I hear he's hyper-competitive and maybe even quicker than Keaontay Ingram. Those guys have had some spirited battles. In fairness to Ingram he's apparently north of 215 pounds already. That probably isn't yet permanent weight, but he's working to add even more so he'll play the season at 215 or more. What's important for him is striking the balance between weight that helps durability while not losing his trademark cutting ability.

The team has done some positional work but it's been limited.

If a player wasn't mentioned it doesn't mean he's been cut from the team, sucks, or is in the doghouse and/or Portal. It just means he wasn't mentioned to me this week.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-weekend-february-22nd-24th/

Terrell’s Texas Talk | Football Position Groups, Social Media Changes & More
– Darius Terrell

In preparation of Spring Football practice firing back up next month, we’ll take an in-depth look at a position group on each side of the ball as a bit of a primer for our first taste of Texas Football since New Year’s.

The only Freshmen that will be included in the preview are Freshmen that are enrolled and participating in Spring Football practices.

Also, this is brand new, I’m taking an open poll on suggestions on a name for this segment!

OFFENSE

*Quarterback*

Starter- Sam Ehlinger (6’2 235) Junior

Projected Backup – Casey Thompson (6’1 190) RS Freshman

Reserve- Roschon Johnson (6’1 190) Freshman

What we know: Sam Ehlinger took a tremendous leap from up-and-down Freshman season to a Sophomore campaign that will likely have him showing up as a dark horse candidate on more than a few pre-season Heisman lists entering the 2019 season. Ehlinger posted a total QBR of 78.3 (t-16th nationally) over the course of the season while throwing for 3,292 yards, 25 touchdowns to just 5 interceptions, and completing 64.7% of his passes in the process. Ehlinger also accounted for 482 yards and a school single-season record 16 touchdowns on the ground. Let me throw in the 5 receptions for 51 yards too, to help supplement this 2019 Heisman case! Ehlinger is the unquestioned leader of the 2019 Texas Football program.

What we hope: Battle-tested Junior backup Shane Buechele announced his intention to transfer to SMU a few weeks ago, which created a noticeable void on the Texas depth chart behind Ehlinger. Redshirt Freshman Casey Thompson has seemingly been a topic of discussion all off-season after he, along with fellow Freshman QB Cameron Rising, entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal in order to explore other options outside of the program (unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that Thompson obviously would decide to return to the program while Rising transferred to Utah). Thompson comes into the spring with a clear path to the title of “Next man up” if anything were to happen to Ehlinger, which if history is any indicator, is very real possibility at some point next season.

What to watch for: Thompson will be accompanied in every film session, weight room workout, and drill on the practice field by his competition for the job, 4-star early enrollee Roschon Johnson from Port Neches, Texas. Johnson was selected as the starter for his team in the Under Armour All American Game and became Texas’ first commitment for the 2019 signing class back in July of 2017. Because both players are very similar in stature and skill set, I could see this being a situation where Texas doesn’t have a definitive answer until we are near the completion of Fall camp. What’s above the shoulders will be the determining factor for these two.

DEFENSE

*Defensive Line*

Starters-
SDE: Taquon Graham (6’4 285) Junior
NT: Gerald Wilbon (6’3 310) Senior OR Keondre Coburn (6’3 330) RS Fr
WDE: Malcolm Roach (6’3 275) Senior
B-Backer: Joseph Ossai (6’4 245) Sophomore

Projected Backups-
SDE: Moro Ojomo (6’2 285) RS Freshman
NT: Keondre Coburn (6’3 330) RS Fr OR Gerald Wilbon (6’3) Senior
WDE: Marquez Bimage (6’2 255) Junior OR Jacoby Jones (6’4 255) Junior
B-Backer: Byron Vaughns (6’4 235) RS Freshman

Reserves-
SDE: Daniel Carson (6’4 300) RS Freshman
NT: D’Andre Christmas-Giles (6’3 315) Senior
WDE: Jamari Chisholm (6’4 300) Senior
B-Backer: Peter Mpagi (6’4 235) Freshman

What we know: Charles Omenihu was voted the Big XII Defensive Lineman of the Year and will likely hear his name called in the first 50 picks of the NFL Draft this April. Omenihu is a success story that Texas can point to in the future as a recruiting tool for showing long, rangy DE prospects what they can become while on campus. Chris Nelson was a Senior leader and 4-year contributor along the defensive front for Texas. Both players will be missed. The good news is that the cupboard is not bare by any means. Malcolm Roach for his Senior campaign while Senior NT Gerald Wilbon and Junior DE Taquon Graham have both started games and played a lot of football at Texas. Junior DE Marqez Bimage provides proven depth and a player that the staff has shown that they trust. Sophomore B-Backer Joseph Ossai was a standout performer in Texas’ Sugar Bowl win over Georgia.

What we hope: Malcolm Roach, who flirted with the idea of declaring early, should be an All-Big XII candidate during his final season in Austin. If Roach is able to remain healthy (11 career starts), the expectation is that he has the type of season that everyone has been expecting from him after a true freshman season in which he was honorable mention All-Big XII Defensive Freshman of the Year. Gerald Wilbon (33 games, 1 career start) has provided depth his entire career and gets the opportunity to earn the nod as the starter heading into the spring. Taquon Graham (26 games, 2 career starts) is expected to hold things down on the strong side and help replace some of Omenihu’s production. Graham’s frame has filled out impressively and the hope is that he’s able to take the next step from “serviceable” to “above average”. Redshirt Freshmen Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn were both able to gain valuable experience in the 4 games they participated in last season while still maintaining their redshirts. Both players will be expected to start or be heavy contributors.

What to watch for: JUCO DE signee Jacoby Jones will be competing for one of the DE jobs and I’m betting it’s for the SDE spot, competing against guys like Taquon Graham and Moro Ojomo. You don’t go recruit a JUCO guy unless you have an immediate need and JUCO guys don’t come to your school unless they feel like they have a great chance to start. Jones enters the program as a grown man (6’4 250) and could take his game and body to the next level with access to better resources and coaching. Redshirt Freshman Keondre Coburn will have every opportunity to beat out Senior Gerald Wilbon for the starting Nose Guard spot. I think it’s safe to pencil in Joseph Ossai as the guy at B-Backer for 2019. The battle behind him between two players with very similar physical attributes, Byron Hobbs and Peter Mpagi, should be an interesting one to follow.

Next week: Running Backs & Linebackers

I’ll end today’s piece by talking about a topic that helps decipher the different generations of individuals that make up this board: Social Media.

A social media app called Twitter was blowing up around 2009 when I joined as a Senior in High School. Somewhere between the time I arrived at college in the summer of 2010 and graduated in the winter of 2014, things had changed on Twitter. Twitter was no longer a toy that kids used to voice their thoughts and opinions, but a tool that was being used by athletes, agents, reporters, journalists, and coaches! Twitter had become a weapon for a new generation.

I was completely unaware of this, maybe because the programs that I was a part of were as well. Charlie Strong hated it and did not encourage his staff to use it. Like my coach at Texas, Mack Brown, he advised his players and staff to stay off of it. Texas had fallen well behind the times. That is until Tom Herman arrived and he brought Derek Chang with him. The first edit that really made me notice the change was an image with Brennan Eagles on the cover of a Travis Scott (he’s a rapper) album.

I knew that the game had changed and that Texas was in it to win it. It is now commonplace for players to release their list of schools, announce their commitments, and other things of the sort through social media, of which Twitter stands tall at the forefront. Texas has as strong of a social media team as any other in College Football from what I’ve seen. That simply wasn’t the case as recently as 2 years ago. This is just another example of Tom Herman not allowing any details to be missed.

Anwar:  "Just for clarity, Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando’s contracts expire in 2020, while Herb Hand is under contract until 2021."

Anwar may be wrong on Orlando's Contract length??

Beck's expires probably March 2020

Orlando's I think goes till March 2021 (Raise in Yr2 and added 1yr extension to original contract)

Hand's contract till March 2021

------------------------------------------------------------------------------https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/23/texas-to-give-defensive-coordinator-todd-orlando-raise/

"Orlando, who joined Tom Herman when he came over from Houston prior to last season, was already one of 15 assistants who were making over $1 million in 2017. He was courted by several programs this offseason however and the cost to retain him on the 40 Acres didn’t come cheap as his amended contract is set to pay him a reported $1.7 million as part of a new four-year deal."

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

WTF? Could they have made this any more confusing? Ok then next season will have two Sugar Bowls.

Well here is hoping we play in either of those games as Big 12 champions. Fuck OU.

There won't be two sugar bowls. The national championship is just the national championship. It isn't one of the NY6 bowls. Next year the natty is at the superdome but has nothing to do with the sugar bowl. The venue is the same but the event isn't. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

15 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

There won't be two sugar bowls. The national championship is just the national championship. It isn't one of the NY6 bowls. Next year the natty is at the superdome but has nothing to do with the sugar bowl. The venue is the same but the event isn't. 

Yet if it is a Semi-Final game then they are the same event. You can see why I was confused.

1) How do folks feel about only 1yr renewals on all the Texas Asst Coaches whose contracts were due to expire in March??

2) For Washington and Naivar it might be better to sign them for two years??   (Hope Washington gets a good raise this year.)

Other schools may try to use the 1yr contracts as a way to negative recruit against Texas, but Herman requiring coaches "staying on their toes" so they don't become complacent is a great thing.  Not sure I buy the quote below on 1yr contracts being the norm though......

"A source close to Herman noted one-year deals are the college football standard, and his decision is not out of the ordinary. In reality, most college football coaches receive one-year deals. Handing out multiple year deals to every coach on staff was an anomaly, not the norm. "

Edited by LTtxfan

On 2/22/2019 at 7:01 AM, Valmy77 said:

By the way how is it that everybody is predicting that OU will not miss a step despite losing Kyler Murray? I mean I know that already happened once after they lost Mayfield but surely someday they will have a non-Heisman QB at that school again.

I guess I am just bitter that the assumption is we are going to suck next season because we are losing all those amazing 5-7 Charlie Strong players but OU can lose one of the most transcendent players of the 21st century and be cool.

We should stop doing this...several years ago.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

1) How do folks feel about only 1yr renewals on all the Texas Asst Coaches whose contracts were due to expire in March??

2) For Washington and Naivar it might be better to sign them for two years??   (Hope Washington gets a good raise this year.)

Other schools may try to use the 1yr contracts as a way to negative recruit against Texas, but Herman requiring coaches "staying on their toes" so they don't become complacent is a great thing.  Not sure I buy the quote below on 1yr contracts being the norm though......

"A source close to Herman noted one-year deals are the college football standard, and his decision is not out of the ordinary. In reality, most college football coaches receive one-year deals. Handing out multiple year deals to every coach on staff was an anomaly, not the norm. "

I think it's a next level move from a guy that want elite performance from his entire program.  Just like the players, he'll get complete buy-in around his plan or they'll find somewhere else to continue their career.  It should motivate them to find ways to really work on their weaknesses.   

Could we base out of something like this:

Sterns                       Jones

Green         Foster  Ossai   McCulloch   Overshown         Cook

Roach   Wilbon   Graham