2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

23 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I still cannot believe we got Bru.  He’ll be starting in the slot after fall camp with CJ and Dev owning the other two.  That’s about as good or a WR unit you will find in the country.  Add Jake Smith, Josh Moore, Eagles, J Whit, Burt, Woodard, and Marcus Johnson and I don’t know if I’d trade our WR room for any other in the country with the exception of maybe bama.  

Edited by thepop
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Also, Jordan Whittington will wear #21, and Jacoby Jones will wear #36.

Wonder if Whittington earns number change to #3 before next fall......

(Unless they have him play a little special teams/defense with Jalen Green who is #3)

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Justin Wells on Kenyatta Watson:

Reveal hidden contents

Texas ‘19 signee Kenyatta Watson II (Grayson, GA) will be at UT on March 28th-April 14th. 

The first week is his spring break. The next is just available time since he’s taken care of most of his senior course work. 

KW2 will attend practices, meetings, and soak up everything in the DB room. 

This kid will show up as close to an early enrollee without actually enrolling early. 

Watson wants to be as prepared as possible. He knows he’s got a chance to play early. 

Anthony Cook has one spot on lock. Jalen Green and Kobe Boyce will battle for the other corner. I’m hearing this will be a big spring for Green, who is expected to take the next step. He’ll need to with Watson looking over his shoulder.

Don't get me wrong. I hate when a player gets written off after seeing their first playing time and not doing well. I remember before last season trying to tell people Brandon Jones would be a great asset for the year but to no avail. Along these lines, I'm not (entirely) ready to say Boyce needs to be buried in the depth chart or even better, transfer. But... yeah. I'm pretty close. 

Forgetting everytime he saw the field and the buffoonery that ensued, you've got guys coming in who are clearly going to be better and you're forcing Cook to take over Boyd's role of boundary/"lockdown" corner. Not that he can't do it, he looked the part last season. But the dude is a technician with better than adequate speed. He needs to be on the field side. The same side as Boyce but I don't think anyone in their right minds would put him over Cook. 

The point is, Green is/ should be groomed for taking over Boyd's spot. He's much more physical and an overall better athlete. That's not a knock to the other two. Just pointing out we're forcing guys (kinda) out of their natural position because of seniority. If Boyce comes out looking lost like last year, I hope the coaches don't waste an offseason trying to make a competition where there isn't one. 

Full disclosure-- I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night and my name isn't Jason Washington. 

1 hour ago, thepop said:

- QB  - Big 12 championship level 
- RB - Lots of work to do
- WR - Big 12 championship level 
- TE - Lots of work to do
- OL - 9-win level (Thanks to Braun)
- DL - Good but not a strength 
- LB - Lots of work to do
- CB - Lots of work to do
- S - National championship level 
- K/P- 9-win level

Eh some of these could go either way. Tempted to put national championship level for QB and WR. If LJ was back WR would definitely be national champ level.

LB , CB, and TE are just unproven right now. Ultimately I expect them to be at a 9 win level. RB has no depth, otherwise Ingram by himself is definitely 9 win level. 

I'm a bit more bullish:

- RB - 9-win level (assuming luck on health)
- TE - Good but not a strength (Brewer was good as a fish and Leitao has been in the program for 2 seasons.)
- OL - Big 12 championship level (Replacing mediocre guys with higher upside guys, plus Hand.)
- DL - 9-win level (Too much returning experience here to think there will be a big drop off.)
- CB - 9-win level (Too much talent for me to expect a huge drop off, maybe should have gone with 'Good'.)
- K/P- Big 12 championship level (If you added return teams, I would drop it down to '9-wins', but think we have a lot of upside in our two young kickers.)

Edited by rickyspub

National Championship level: QB, S, WR

• I'm putting a lot of faith in Sam here but I think he'll be a top 5 CFB QB next year.
  • S and WR should be among the best in the country.
  • A position group being top 5 in the country qualifies it for natty level in my mind.

Big 12 Championship Level: K/P

9 Win Level: OL, RB

• RB assumes Ingram's health and includes JWhitt in that group.
  • We have 3 all-conference starters on the OL which almost puts them in the level above, but I'll wait to see who wins the other 2 spots before giving them the nod.

Good but work to do: CB, TE

• These groups have potential but returns no starters from last year.

Lots of work to do: LB, DL

• LB is a bit scary outside of B-backer.
  • I edited and added DL here. We've had the Big 12 DL OTY the last two seasons. Without someone of Poona's or Charles's level, I don't have faith in the other guys to get it done. Our pass rush was really lacking last year. There's some talent but no one that we can really count on to be a plus player next year. 
Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

• I edited and added DL here. We've had the Big 12 DL OTY the last two seasons. Without someone of Poona's or Charles's level, I don't have faith in the other guys to get it done. Our pass rush was really lacking last year. There's some talent but no one that we can really count on to be a plus player next year. 

Woah woah woah. I have it on good authority from the surly collective that we'll be leaps and bounds better here next season via addition by subtraction. 

27 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Woah woah woah. I have it on good authority from the surly collective that we'll be leaps and bounds better here next season via addition by subtraction. 

Hager will for sure be addition by subtraction. Wheeler is a maybe if his replacement knows what the fuck he's doing. The two corners were losses, but they're going to be replaced by talented guys, one of whom at least got some decent experience. I'm hesitant to label a position group of unknowns as having some work to do or whatever. If the position group has experienced known quantities of suck, then they have some work to do. CB group as a unit might have some work to do. There are plenty of newcomers every season that have standout years, including here. Last offseason, a lot of people on here didn't think Chris Nelson could adequately fill in for Poona, but he did fine. I think it'll be the same thing going from Nelson to Wilbon, plus we got some talented redshirt freshmen behind him. I think the floor for the DL is pretty high due to the 4 or 5 seniors we're going to have.

Edited by Bevo14

14 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Hager will for sure be addition by subtraction. Wheeler is a maybe if his replacement knows what the fuck he's doing. The two corners were losses, but they're going to be replaced by talented guys, one of whom at least got some decent experience. I'm hesitant to label a position group of unknowns as having some work to do or whatever. If the position group has experienced known quantities of suck, then they have some work to do. CB group as a unit might have some work to do. There are plenty of newcomers every season that have standout years, including here. Last offseason, a lot of people on here didn't think Chris Nelson could adequately fill in for Poona, but he did fine. I think it'll be the same thing going from Nelson to Wilbon, plus we got some talented redshirt freshmen behind him. I think the floor for the DL is pretty high due to the 4 or 5 seniors we're going to have.

Just to be clear, I think we'll be fine on defense at all positions with taking serious lumps early on. Thinking along the lines of how '17 was but with even more of a rough start. I just laugh because everyone automatically assumes we'll be better because of 4/5 stars coming in and/or limited rep guys and experience (albeit not always good) leaving. 

30 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Roach and Wilbon are the only SR DL that have shown anything so far and I don't expect either to be more than good. I think there's a ton of variance in what could happen with our DL, certainly wouldn't say they have a high floor.

12 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Roach and Wilbon are the only SR DL that have shown anything so far and I don't expect either to be more than good. I think there's a ton of variance in what could happen with our DL, certainly wouldn't say they have a high floor.

I think Roach is going to surprise you now that he's playing DL full-time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

National Championship level: QB, S, WR

• I'm putting a lot of faith in Sam here but I think he'll be a top 5 CFB QB next year.
  • S and WR should be among the best in the country.
  • A position group being top 5 in the country qualifies it for natty level in my mind.

Big 12 Championship Level: K/P

9 Win Level: OL, RB

• RB assumes Ingram's health and includes JWhitt in that group.
  • We have 3 all-conference starters on the OL which almost puts them in the level above, but I'll wait to see who wins the other 2 spots before giving them the nod.

Good but work to do: CB, TE

• These groups have potential but returns no starters from last year.

Lots of work to do: LB, DL

• LB is a bit scary outside of B-backer.

I largely agree with your ratings, though would bump up OL to Big XII Championship level and bump down punter. The OL returns three great guys at the center and tackles and adds an all-ACC guy as a guard. One guard spot is  up in the air but the competition for that position is talented and with the other four spots being pretty trustworthy I like our odds there. As for why I would drop punter, is just that we haven't seen any reason to believe he'll improve to that level yet. Even Dickson took a fair bit of time to figure it out and it's entirely possibly he busts. I think he'll get it together soon enough, but we shouldn't take it for granted.

I'd also bump up DL two levels. Roach back in position, Taquon opposite, and Wilbon in the center will be salty. Couple that with some really solid backups in Coburn and Ojomo and I think this will be one of our better units. I'd also knock TE down a level. We have no reason to assume we have a good blocking TE and while Brewer is decent at catching passes, we don't get nearly the same wrinkles out of the offense if he isn't a really good blocker too. And considering how much receiving talent we have, I'm not sure how useful having him on vs an extra WR that could motion into the backfield/an extra RB that could motion into the slot would be.

21 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

People said the same about Omenihu and Nelson last year. He was a smaller step down than people argued, albeit a noticeable one. Omenihu was a step up.

13 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I largely agree with your ratings, though would bump up OL to Big XII Championship level and bump down punter. The OL returns three great guys at the center and tackles and adds an all-ACC guy as a guard. One guard spot is  up in the air but the competition for that position is talented and with the other four spots being pretty trustworthy I like our odds there. As for why I would drop punter, is just that we haven't seen any reason to believe he'll improve to that level yet. Even Dickson took a fair bit of time to figure it out and it's entirely possibly he busts. I think he'll get it together soon enough, but we shouldn't take it for granted.

I'd also bump up DL two levels. Roach back in position, Taquon opposite, and Wilbon in the center will be salty. Couple that with some really solid backups in Coburn and Ojomo and I think this will be one of our better units. I'd also knock TE down a level. We have no reason to assume we have a good blocking TE and while Brewer is decent at catching passes, we don't get nearly the same wrinkles out of the offense if he isn't a really good blocker too. And considering how much receiving talent we have, I'm not sure how useful having him on vs an extra WR that could motion into the backfield/an extra RB that could motion into the slot would be.

Who exactly is our second great OT? Kerstetter/Okafor aren't championship level starters. They might be if they improve a lot this year, but I don't think it's a given that they're more than above average. Plus, it looks like Jones will start the spring as the starting RT. Positive development, but doesn't speak to Kerstetter/Okafor having the staff's faith.

For the record, my early prediction for next year is 10-3. I'm not negative, just trying to be realistic about strengths and weakness. I think once spring practice reports come out then we can start to speculate about guys making leaps and stuff, although even that can go poorly (thanks Breckyn).

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Looks like Warehime operating the heavy machinery. Also do I spot Daniel Young wearing the crimson slacker shirt on the left?

Could be Warehime but I don't think so, although the result could pass for his work.

- RB - Lots of work to do
- TE - 9-win level
- OL - 9-win level 
- DL - 9-win level
- CB - 9-win level
- K/P- 9-win level

Holy shit can we finally leave the punter alone? Everyone else got the benefit of the doubt playing uga, and Buj had a hell of a game. 

He also had a hell of a season. At the very least, he was average in comparison around the nation. Now factor in that it was his first season EVER to play the game. He's going to be just fine. 

Everyone wants to compare him to Dicko which is unfair but in all honesty (w/o the necessary data to prove my point), I think he had a better freshman year than Dicko. For fucks sake, he didn't even have a punt blocked and the unit blocking for him was Charles Barkley turrrble.

ETA everyone already holds Dicker the Kicker in such high regard but it hardly ever gets mentioned how bad he was keeping the ball in bounds on kickoffs. I like Dicker so don't get me wrong. But that's on a play with virtually no pressure on him that he'd been doing for a long time already. Our punter is gon b good. 

Edited by BigHorn'13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Who exactly is our second great OT? Kerstetter/Okafor aren't championship level starters. They might be if they improve a lot this year, but I don't think it's a given that they're more than above average. Plus, it looks like Jones will start the spring as the starting RT. Positive development, but doesn't speak to Kerstetter/Okafor having the staff's faith.

For the record, my early prediction for next year is 10-3. I'm not negative, just trying to be realistic about strengths and weakness. I think once spring practice reports come out then we can start to speculate about guys making leaps and stuff, although even that can go poorly (thanks Breckyn).

I think Kerstetter is RT this year and will be above average. Ditto Oak at G. I think you're reading too much into positive reports about Jones' development.

Edited by texifornia

On 3/3/2019 at 9:40 PM, TexasMan said:

I have nowhere else to post this 

Awesome flashback.  I was a sophomore and I remember staying up til like 2am watching that game.  Didn't remember Herbstreit, but I did remember Ricky.  Fell in love with that guy that night.  

4 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

For fucks sake, he didn't even have a punt blocked and the unit blocking for him was Charles Barkley turrrble.

For fuck's sake, he had two.

I know everyone is collectively forgetting the first two weeks of the 2018 season, but they still happened.

I don’t have anything of much substance to add here, however, I do want to reiterate what has been been pointed out ad nauseum in these threads that the use of “natty” is a punchable offense. That term should never be uttered by anyone associated with Longhorn sports. Such douchenozzle slang should only be associated with loser programs, and sheep fuckers. (Not mutually exclusive btw). 

Edited by Wishbone
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I agree with your prediction of W/L, though I guess my evaluation of team strengths gets to it in a different way. But yeah I am pretty confident our OL and DL will come out looking strong at the end of the season. LB (other than B-Backer) and TE have me really worried, but other than that I'm not too scared about starting position groups. An injury to Ingram terrifies me. Other than that I'm pretty happy with where we are. I really like Kerstetter and he played well last year. If he gets moved inside because they trust Christian Jones, all the better. 

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

4 hours ago, Wishbone said:

I don’t have anything of much substance to add here, however, I do want to reiterate what has been been pointed out ad nauseum in these threads that the use of “natty” is a punchable offense. That term should never be uttered by anyone associated with Longhorn sports. Such douchenozzle slang should only be associated with loser programs, and sheep fuckers. (Not mutually exclusive btw). 

People who say “natty” and “presser” need to go sit in the corner for 20 minutes.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Holy shit can we finally leave the punter alone? Everyone else got the benefit of the doubt playing uga, and Buj had a hell of a game. 

He also had a hell of a season. At the very least, he was average in comparison around the nation. Now factor in that it was his first season EVER to play the game. He's going to be just fine. 

Everyone wants to compare him to Dicko which is unfair but in all honesty (w/o the necessary data to prove my point), I think he had a better freshman year than Dicko. For fucks sake, he didn't even have a punt blocked and the unit blocking for him was Charles Barkley turrrble.

ETA everyone already holds Dicker the Kicker in such high regard but it hardly ever gets mentioned how bad he was keeping the ball in bounds on kickoffs. I like Dicker so don't get me wrong. But that's on a play with virtually no pressure on him that he'd been doing for a long time already. Our punter is gon b good. 

Our punter had a hell of a season?  Maybe my expectations of a punter at the University of Texas are too high, but I thought he pretty much sucked all year long.  

He wasn't average in comparison to the rest of the nation.  He was 79th in punt yard average.  That doesn't even take into account hang time, as a majority of his kicks were line drives.

He'll improve, but to say he had a hell of a season is a hell of a take.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

For fuck's sake, he had two.

I know everyone is collectively forgetting the first two weeks of the 2018 season, but they still happened.

Just checked the box score for UMD and Tulsa. I only see one punt blocked and that was against Tulsa. Now, I was wrong about no blocks. But c'mon Machinator. Who wants to remember Tulsa? And you're going to dismiss all my other points for that? You're better than that. 

Also, we still won the game. Do you remember any punt blocks for Dicko his freshman year that resulted in us losing? I remember one in particular, at the end of the game, that put the opponent well within field goal range to win (ref shenanigans aside.) 

I was going to get the video but no one wants to see that shit again (okie lite ref butt fucking we took in '15.) Plus it's not my point. Michael Dickson still turned out elite and is the premier punter in the NFL. Buj still has work to do and I don't think he'll ever be on the same level as Dicko, but he doesn't have to be. He's more than serviceable right now and has another 3 seasons to get even better. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Our punter had a hell of a season?  Maybe my expectations of a punter at the University of Texas are too high, but I thought he pretty much sucked all year long.  

He wasn't average in comparison to the rest of the nation.  He was 79th in punt yard average.  That doesn't even take into account hang time, as a majority of his kicks were line drives.

He'll improve, but to say he had a hell of a season is a hell of a take.  

All things considered (first year playing the sport ever, our terrible blocking, etc.), you wouldn't have considered it a hell of a season? What exactly are your expectations for a punter at UT? 79th in the country with how many times we were punting, you wouldn't consider that (for the most part) average?

Yes. He fucked up a lot with shanks. Yes, he apparently had a block I couldn't remember. Can you really say he sucked though? Or are you succumbing to recency bias because of his cousin?

Think I might start a thread to not clog this one up and laugh at everyone who shares this opinion for years to come. Or I get laughed at. Doesn't matter. Michael Scott win-win-win for conflict resolution. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

8 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

All things considered (first year playing the sport ever, our terrible blocking, etc.), you wouldn't have considered it a hell of a season? What exactly are your expectations for a punter at UT? 79th in the country with how many times we were punting, you wouldn't consider that (for the most part) average?

Yes. He fucked up a lot with shanks. Yes, he apparently had a block I couldn't remember. Can you really say he sucked though? Or are you succumbing to recency bias because of his cousin?

Think I might start a thread to clog this one up and laugh at everyone who shares this opinion for years to come. Or I get laughed at. Doesn't matter. Michael Scott win-win-win for conflict resolution. 

I'm not saying he's going to be bad forever.  I expect significant improvement this year.  I'm not comparing him to Dicko, either.  

And it doesn't really matter to me that it was his first year punting.  He's who we threw out there. I expect Texas to be able to field a punter who is capable of punting forty yards downfield consistently with good hang-time and not nearly as many shanks.  

Much of the reason I think he had a poor season was due to his line drive kicking.  

Edited by Ghost of Shag

The second half of the season was much better for Buj.

Ryan Buj. season per Texas Sports-

Played in all 14 games ... punted 63 times for 2,537 yards (40.3 avg) ... had a season-long of 56 yards with 18 downed inside the 20 and nine of more than 50 yards ... had 21 fair caught and just one touchback ... punted nine times for 339 yards (37.7 ypp) with a long of 56 yards and two downed inside the 20 in his career debut at Maryland ... punted four times for a 36.5 yard average with a long of 52 yards and two punts downed inside the 20 in a victory over Tulsa ... punted four times for a 36.2 yard average with a long of 40 yards and one punt inside the 20 in a win over USC ... punted five times for an average of 39.6 yards per punt with a long of 45 ... did not allow a return to TCU's dangerous return man in the victory over the No. 17 Horned Frogs ... had three punts for an average of 36.7 yards per punt with two inside the 20 in the road victory over Kansas State .. .had four punts for an average of 36.2 yards per punt and a long of 45 yards in the victory over No. 7 Oklahoma ... had four punts for an average of 47.8 yards and a long of 56 yards in the 23-17 win over Baylor ... had seven punts for an average of 43.7 yards and a long of 55 yards in the 38-35 loss to Oklahoma State ... punted once for an average and long of 48 yards in the 42-41 loss to No. 12 West Virginia ... punted three times for an average of 42.7 yards and a long of 51 yards in the 41-34 road win over Texas Tech ... punted five times and averaged 44.4 yards per punt in the win over No. 18 Iowa State ... punted five times for an average of 40.6 yards per punt in the 24-17 road win over Kansas ... punted four times and averaged 37.2 yards per punt against Oklahoma ... punted five times, averaging 41.4 yards per punt, with a long of 52 and four downed inside the 20 in the Allstate Sugar Bowl win over Georgia.

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8180

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

16 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Think I might start a thread to not clog this one up and laugh at everyone who shares this opinion for years to come. Or I get laughed at. Doesn't matter. Michael Scott win-win-win for conflict resolution. 

He was ok enough most games and quite good vs UGA. That's not most people's definition of "a hell of a season"

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Here's my take:

- QB  - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- RB - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- WR - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- TE - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- OL - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- DL - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- LB - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- CB - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- S - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- K/P- Go fuck yourself, bitch

This is the only thing we need to say about any of that. /thread

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He was ok enough most games and quite good vs UGA. That's not most people's definition of "a hell of a season"

Ok fine I'll concede hell of a season. Can everyone else acknowledge he didn't suck? That's how all the hyperbole starts...

8 hours ago, Wishbone said:

From now on I'll make sure to only use College Football Playoff National Championship when speaking about the national champion of the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision. 

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Ok fine I'll concede hell of a season. Can everyone else acknowledge he didn't suck? That's how all the hyperbole starts...

My view is that he developed well as the season evolved. He sucked at the beginning. My expectations weren't crushed by his early season performance, but all we had from those first 4 games was "hope", which isn't a strategy. It wasn't "a hell of a season".

79th out of 130 isn't "average", not even "generally". It's below average. Even when the term "average" is used unfavorably, it still implies somebody met the mean expectations.

Additionally, people are allowed to have a take that someone sucked at some point and still understand that someone can improve over time and even ultimately be a standout. Threatening to mock people years down the line for their snapshot take from a guy during his freshman year is the kind of thoughtless, juvenile shit that a) fills boards like this up with drivel and b) indicates the limits of your own intellectual ability to learn.

There shouldn't be any confusion as to why you're getting run over in your posts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Just checked the box score for UMD and Tulsa. I only see one punt blocked and that was against Tulsa. Now, I was wrong about no blocks. But c'mon Machinator. Who wants to remember Tulsa? And you're going to dismiss all my other points for that? You're better than that. 

I'm not dismissing your other points for that. That is specifically why I quoted that portion and only that portion of your post. That said, I do think saying he had a "hell of a season" is a major overstatement. He absolutely did get better as time went on, but he wasn't even the best true freshman specialist on the team.

Also, even if UMD "block" wasn't officially counted as one, it was a significant deflection that set Maryland up for the trick play score that might have been the difference between winning and losing.

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

Grading the position groups prior to spring practice on the following scale:

- National Championship Level (5) 
- Big 12 Championship (4) 
- 9-wins (3) 
- Good but not a strength (2) 
- Work to do (1)

Quarterbacks 
Sam Ehlinger is expected to be at least one of the two or three best QBs in the league this season and more than good enough to lead a team to a Big 12 title. Ehlinger's ability to run the football gives his game a valuable addition. Yes, there are some chinks in the armor, like his somewhat lagging ability to push the ball downfield. But he's efficient and he's most certainly a winner. 
Big 12 Championship Level 
Survey result - 4.34 average

Running backs 
Keaontay Ingram is a special runner. I don't think he's of the same caliber as Jamaal Charles but I believe he's an above-average runner in the college game. The problems at this position are two-fold. First, Ingram was injured much of last year and his style of running seems to invite injuries. Second, Daniel Young took a step back last season. Perhaps he didn't get enough carries to get in the groove or he just didn't see the holes as well as his peers, but Young was largely unimpressive. Maybe Kirk Johnson will help this year, or even true freshman Jordan Whittington. But I'll believe that when I see it. 
9-wins 
Survey result - 2.83

Wide receivers 
While most will point to Collin Johnson as the unit's star returning player, and he deserves those accolades, I'm actually more swayed by the return of Devin Duvernay. Duvernay didn't drop a single uncontested catchable ball all season. That's flat amazing. In addition, I think John Burt will provide more punch downfield and Josh Moore gives the Horns a little more oomph in the slot. Then there's Bru McCoy who, if eligible, might emerge late in the season as the team's best receiving threat overall. Yes, he could be that good. 
National Championship level 
Survey result - 4.53

Tight ends 
I like Cade Brewer as a prospect. I like Reese Leitao, too. They both look the part, have the athleticsim, toughness and general ability to be really good players. There's only one problem. I haven't seen either of them perform at a level that makes me think they can be the same sort of blocker/pass catcher combo that Andrew Beck was a year ago. It's a rare breed that can do both. Brewer is going to be a better pass catcher than Beck, but unless he totally changes his willingness to block, he's going to come up just short in the run game. Leitao can block in-line but what about as an H-back? I think the two primary players have talent. I don't know if they have the know-how. We could know more by the end of spring. 
Work-to-do 
Survey result - 1.95

Offensive line 
With the addition of Parker Braun, this unit goes up a full grade IMO. Perhaps even more. Braun, a two-time all-ACC selection, is truly that good. Add him to Sam Cosmi and Zach Shackelford and the Horns have the best returning unit in the Big 12. What's more, the Horns have a ton of talented options waiting in the wings, and each of them have more seasoning on them than they would have in years past when the Horns struggled to even find five capable starters. There is no unit on the team that is coming into its own more. Yes, they need to find another capable tackle. But I think the Horns could get a double upgrade at the guard spots from a year ago, and ostensibly Cosmi should still be getting better and better. 
Big 12 Championship level 
Survey result - 3.61

Defensive line 
Yes, the Horns have some pieces to the puzzle. There's no doubt that Malcolm Roach and Ta'Quon Graham can be Big 12 caliber players on an every-down basis. But major questions remain. Will Moro Ojomo and Keondre Coburn be ready for primetime just one year into their time on campus? Or, is Gerald Wilbon truly an adequate replacement for Chris Nelson if Coburn's not? Too many uncertainties, not enough answers. Even so, Marqez Bimage should be part of the answer, but only if he's fully healthy. A bigger question mark is where does juco transfer Jacoby Jones come out in all of this. If Jones is ready to play from day one, he could be a huge shot in the arm, especially on passing downs. Is the youth truly ready to blossom? I can't say that for sure. Still, there's enough talent to make reasonable expectations. 
9-wins 
Survey result - 3.13

Linebackers 
No position on this team causes more consternation for me. With the departure of Gary Johnson, the Horns are losing someone truly special from a speed perspective. I feel like that lack of footspeed - because no one will be as fast as Johnson - will cause a domino effect for the entire defense and stress other parts of the Horns' defense more than we've become accustomed. We know that sophomore Joe Ossai is part of the solution. He's not particularly fast but he is a football player with an upside unlike any the Horns have add on defense in years. Senior-to-be Jeff McCulloch is servicable, but has been much better against the pass than run. That means a new player is going to have to step up and play a huge role. But we don't know who that will be because last year we really didn't see a lot of rotation from the LB position with Johnson and Anthony Wheeler get the vast, vast majority of snaps. Until we see what Todd Orlando tries to do this spring, this position is one of complete question marks for me. Like the DL, there's talent. But unlike the DL, there are more question marks overall. 
Good but not a strength 
Survey result - 2.44

Cornerbacks 
I'm told Jalen Green is as talented or perhaps even more talented than any defensive back on the roster. I know that is a mouthful. But I've been told that by more than one insider. The key will be whether or not his talent shows out when the ball is snapped. I like Anthony Cook because he's potentially solid in a way similar to what Davante Davis provided the Horns last season. Josh Thompson should be able to handle the nickel, where his speed and length could cause some problems for offenses. What I don't like here is the depth unless a true freshman like Kenyatta Watson can somehow help out as soon as he gets on campus. Still, I think there are going to be real growing pains for this unit, especially in a league that sports receivers like Tylan Wallace, Denzel Mims and CeeDee Lamb and whose offenses know how to isolate corners and nickels. 
Good but not a strength 
Survey result - 3.07

Safeties 
Texas has at least three safeties that I think can and will play in the NFL. With Caden Sterns, Brandon Jones and BJ Foster, Texas is loaded. There are some small areas of concern. Jones has not shown an ability to play the ball in the air. Sterns is not ideally fast. And Foster seems to still be learning the finer technique points of coverage. Still, this group is extremely good. They all make plays, which is what the game is all about. They are so good in fact that they should help lift the defensive unit overall. If Texas can only get a pass rush this fall, the safeties could make Texas an absolutely devastating defense. 
National Championship level 
Survey result - 4.77

Kicker/Punter 
As freshman, both Cameron Dicker and Ryan Bujcevski solidified their roles as starters as the season wore on, which is typically a good sign for the year following. Of course, Bujcevski is still the bigger question mark since he's only been kicking a football for a year or so now. But, in all, Texas should have a place-kicker that can make the tough field goals and kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs. And the Horns should have a reliable and somewhat tested punter. You can't really ask for much more than that. 
Big 12 Championship level 
Survey result - 3.39

The results of the survey yesterday were telling in a number of ways. Here were the final average tallies (from 1-5):

Quarterback - 4.34 
Running back - 2.83 
Wide receiver - 4.52 
Tight end - 1.95 
Offensive line - 3.61 
Defensive line - 3.13 
Linebacker - 2.44 
Cornerback - 3.07 
Safety - 4.77 
Kicker/Punter - 3.39

The perceived three strengths of the team are the safety group, followed by the receivers and then the quarterback. Frankly, I was a little surprised that more fans didn't place higher expectations on Sam Ehlinger. After all, Ehlinger put the team on his back in some big games last year. At the same time, I understand his limitations.

The units that I think that are "significantly" better than the survey results:

- Offensive line 
- Kicker/Punter

The units that I have significantly lower expectations of than the survey results:

- Tight end 
- Linebacker 
- Cornerback

Of note, not a single response ranked the Texas quarterbacks, receivers or safety group below nine-wins. And only 11 people (of 109 respondents) even voted any of those groups below Big 12 Championship level. Not a single fan said the Texas safety unit is anything less than Big 12 Championship caliber. They got all 4s and 5s.

It's pretty clear that Texas fans have the biggest question marks about the tight end position on offense and the linebacker group on defense.

Perhaps the biggest difference between my own feelings and those of the fans come with the disparity at "cornerback". I feel like Texas has talent there but it's almost completely unproven.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My view is that he developed well as the season evolved. He sucked at the beginning. My expectations weren't crushed by his early season performance, but all we had from those first 4 games was "hope", which isn't a strategy. It wasn't "a hell of a season".

79th out of 130 isn't "average", not even "generally". It's below average. Even when the term "average" is used unfavorably, it still implies somebody met the mean expectations.

Additionally, people are allowed to have a take that someone sucked at some point and still understand that someone can improve over time and even ultimately be a standout. Threatening to mock people years down the line for their snapshot take from a guy during his freshman year is the kind of thoughtless, juvenile shit that a) fills boards like this up with drivel and b) indicates the limits of your own intellectual ability to learn.

There shouldn't be any confusion as to why you're getting run over in your posts.

[Con] Never been a CTJ hater. Just wanted to acknowledge that so you didn't confuse me with someone else. [text]

I think you've accused others for being pedantic for much less. Yes, hell of a season was an overstatement without consideration of circumstances. My take, as you've mentioned everyone is allowed to have, is that he did, in fact, have a good season with consideration of the factors I mentioned. No, 79th (in one stat, mind you) isn't average. But you're smart enough to realize the overall point I was making and admitted as much with the first line of your post. 

No threats. Maybe a piss poor attempt at a joke (hence the office reference) to get the thread back on track. 

As for my intellect, how dare you sir!?!?! I'm a devout member of Close to Jumping's school of vocabulary & shit talking. I'm learning new things everyday. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'm not dismissing your other points for that. That is specifically why I quoted that portion and only that portion of your post. That said, I do think saying he had a "hell of a season" is a major overstatement. He absolutely did get better as time went on, but he wasn't even the best true freshman specialist on the team.

Also, even if UMD "block" wasn't officially counted as one, it was a significant deflection that set Maryland up for the trick play score that might have been the difference between winning and losing.

Fair enough. 

• Like 1