2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I was watching the TCU game last night and saw that Ingram was listed at 205. The nahlin article says he gained 15 lbs. If that's the case I can't wait to see him healthy. I know Whittington is getting hype but I was impressed with Ingram last season especially his willingness to block. Dude is tough

Yea, Ingram didn't come in until the summer so he didn't go through a real strength program. It's nice to him him go through the program now and have Whittington having gone through it in the spring. Running game should be more durable and better.

9 hours ago, mdleast said:

Speaking of #8, currently with the 8th best odds...

b9a021fde865ade994c29f9370c599d2.jpg

I'm shocked that Texas and Michigan don't have closer odds.  Michigan & Texas should be close to the same.  LSU should be about 35-1 based upon the path they have to take to get there and on last years performance.

From TFB via @Machinator

Linebacker Grad Transfer | Update
By: Super K

As you know by now, Florida linebacker graduate transfer and TX native, Kylan Johnson (Skyline) visited Texas this past weekend.

I noted over the weekend that he is indeed a take for the Longhorns.

I am told that the visit went well and that the staff expects Johnson to end up at Texas pending an academic issue. Since Johnson has graduated this issue has more to do with ensuring his entry into the Masters program and Texas.

However, the person I spoke with did not foresee this being anything that would prevent Johnson from coming to Texas, rather just something that will take brief period of time to handle.

Linebacker is a position of need for Texas and the immediate help would be welcomed.

But this also points to what I mentioned in my recent linebacker 2020 recruiting breakdown, namely that more offers probably need to go out this spring.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I was watching the TCU game last night and saw that Ingram was listed at 205. The nahlin article says he gained 15 lbs. If that's the case I can't wait to see him healthy. I know Whittington is getting hype but I was impressed with Ingram last season especially his willingness to block. Dude is tough

I'd rather have a fairly strict play count, something like roughly 15 snaps a game, for both Ingram and Whittington to try and keep them relatively fresh all year. Wouldn't be that hard when you think about who else would run the ball in a game. 

Funniest thing to me is I can see how the pieces fit on defense and how TO will probably play things, but not so much on offense. You've got your expected starting 11 with maybe 1 or 2 positions still up for grabs. But then you've got a whole bunch of players, particularly at the skill position, that are expected to contribute. We'll have weapons that would make Kim Jong pee pee come fall. How does Herman get them all on the field? 

On 4/30/2019 at 8:12 AM, UTEX90 said:

I'm shocked that Texas and Michigan don't have closer odds.  Michigan & Texas should be close to the same.  LSU should be about 35-1 based upon the path they have to take to get there and on last years performance.

I'd go lower on Michigan.  

Harbaugh  is starting to wear thin in Ann Arbor.   I mean they ended the season very badly last year with a loss to Ohio State and an outright whooping  from  Florida in their bowl game.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

I'd rather have a fairly strict play count, something like roughly 15 snaps a game, for both Ingram and Whittington to try and keep them relatively fresh all year. Wouldn't be that hard when you think about who else would run the ball in a game. 

Funniest thing to me is I can see how the pieces fit on defense and how TO will probably play things, but not so much on offense. You've got your expected starting 11 with maybe 1 or 2 positions still up for grabs. But then you've got a whole bunch of players, particularly at the skill position, that are expected to contribute. We'll have weapons that would make Kim Jong pee pee come fall. How does Herman get them all on the field? 

um wut?  Texas averaged like 75 offensive snaps per game last year. You want us to not have one of our two best RBs on the field for over half of our plays each game?

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

um wut?  Texas averaged like 75 offensive snaps per game last year. You want us to not have one of our two best RBs on the field for over half of our plays each game?

12 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I think we're all talking carries, not plays. They need <20 carries each, not <20 plays. Also maybe 3-4 targets coming out of the backfield. One or both (particularly Whittington) need to set wide and sweep a few times. 

Yes carries, my bad. 

The point being is that I think everyone can agree Ingram is going to be special, but he's also been the workhorse throughout his h.s career and didn't come in last summer 100% iirc. If the coaches have this much faith in Whittington, which by all accounts they do, we should do the right thing by Ingram and limit his carries to something very reasonable, like 15 carries or so, a game. 

It's not that inconceivable either. You put Whittington on the same count, get maybe 10 designed runs for Sam (this number you know will fluctuate with off schedule plays, ZR, etc.) and you've already got your running game for the most part. Now sprinkle Young in for a few carries, some motions from the slot, maybe even a Kirko appearance and we're cooking with gas. 

I want to see everyone healthy throughout the year (hot take, I know) and we've got the ability to do it. Plus a schedule that sets up favorably on byes. No reason to grind down Ingram. 

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yes carries, my bad. 

The point being is that I think everyone can agree Ingram is going to be special, but he's also been the workhorse throughout his h.s career and didn't come in last summer 100% iirc. If the coaches have this much faith in Whittington, which by all accounts they do, we should do the right thing by Ingram and limit his carries to something very reasonable, like 15 carries or so, a game. 

It's not that inconceivable either. You put Whittington on the same count, get maybe 10 designed runs for Sam (this number you know will fluctuate with off schedule plays, ZR, etc.) and you've already got your running game for the most part. Now sprinkle Young in for a few carries, some motions from the slot, maybe even a Kirko appearance and we're cooking with gas. 

I want to see everyone healthy throughout the year (hot take, I know) and we've got the ability to do it. Plus a schedule that sets up favorably on byes. No reason to grind down Ingram. 

I'm hoping Young racks up a decent number of carries coming in to wrap up the 4th quarter of all our many blowouts. 

• Like 1

Ingram's going to be a lot bigger and stronger. He's the workhorse. I'd keep these butterfinger tight ends off the field, play 4 wide or two back and 3 wide the whole game. Give Ingram a minimum of 15 touches, hopefully more like 20 to 25. Give Whittington a minimum of 8 touches, maybe more like 10-12. 

Don't count checkdowns as touches, only designed plays for the guy.

also, I like Kirk Johnson in there getting doo-doo touches. The dude looked a lot better than I've ever seen him in the Spring game. 

Kirko staying healthy all season year would be huge. He's really looked good, all four of the carries he's had in the past. Far's anyone could tell, the only reason he hasn't been a featured back is that his body quits working. Pull a Shipley Major here, and we're looking at having fresh backs in the game, all game long. I could get behind that.

1 hour ago, rickyspub said:

I'm hoping Young racks up a decent number of carries coming in to wrap up the 4th quarter of all our many blowouts. 

Of course. 

The options are there to not have to have Ingram carry for more than 20 a game (barring injuries, big/ close games, etc.) Let's not run him into the ground just because he's the best one we've got. 

Along these same lines, I don't know what the reciever rotation situation will look like with all the players they're trying to get on the field or if Herman dares to go away from 11 personnel.

I do know that either or both Duvernay and Burt are going to play a big role in those decisions (outside of TE, obviously.) I think by now we all know what to expect from CJ and maybe hope for some improvement on things like separation and consistency. His season will go a lot further with a big year from Duvernay. He showed decent blocking and if he and Sam connect on some of those deep throws, we wouldn't have been hearing this stat of no explosive plays.

Burt is the mystery to me. I figure there's got to be a reason why the coaches convinced him to redshirt last year. Maybe they thought they were losing Duvernay. I don't know. 

The slot will be icing on the cake (insert mom joke) to the offense and not the centerpiece position it is normally imo. Mostly because your playmakers will be the ones drawing attention and the position is still up in the air (both in personnel and package.) 

We appear to be very, very well off at the O skill positions, no doubt at all... OL is a little short on studliness, but the warm body count is better than we've had in a long time, and with Hand at the controls, I'm not particularly worried about it. Really TE looks like the only real area of concern - unless someone steps up, I'd lean toward putting the best blocker there and attacking the seam with other receivers (including RBs showing a brush block and leaking out).

Defense? Reckon it's gonna be surprising - either pretty bad or unbelievably good. If the latter, TO could well have punched his ticket to HC somewhere.

EDIT: The plethora of WRs and paucity of TEs makes me think that if the D is in fact not so dominant, we're going to see a lot more of the O lining up quickly as usual and really long long counts to eat clock and keep our D off the field. I'd also think we'll see a lot more subbing at the receiver positions - we DGAF if the oppo subs or not, as long as the clock runs when we want it to.

Edited by Tex Long

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

We appear to be very, very well off at the O skill positions, no doubt at all... OL is a little short on studliness, but the warm body count is better than we've had in a long time, and with Hand at the controls, I'm not particularly worried about it. Really TE looks like the only real area of concern - unless someone steps up, I'd lean toward putting the best blocker there and attacking the seam with other receivers (including RBs showing a brush block and leaking out).

Defense? Reckon it's gonna be surprising - either pretty bad or unbelievably good. If the latter, TO could well have punched his ticket to HC somewhere.

EDIT: The plethora of WRs and paucity of TEs makes me think that if the D is in fact not so dominant, we're going to see a lot more of the O lining up quickly as usual and really long long counts to eat clock and keep our D off the field. I'd also think we'll see a lot more subbing at the receiver positions - we DGAF if the oppo subs or not, as long as the clock runs when we want it to.

What’s the knock on Cade Brewer?

Just now, Viper said:

not very quick/fast, not a plus blocker. we'll have to see how much he's improved.

Gotcha. I’m hoping Yancy helps him out with the blocking part, it seemed more like a strength issue iirc. 

2 hours ago, Nope said:

Gotcha. I’m hoping Yancy helps him out with the blocking part, it seemed more like a strength issue iirc. 

He's never been a good blocker. He needs a lot more work than just strength. His best value was going to be a plus receiver that can make it to average blocker by his 3rd or 4th year. It doesn't look like he's going to be either this year. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

He's never been a good blocker. He needs a lot more work than just strength. His best value was going to be a plus receiver that can make it to average blocker by his 3rd or 4th year. It doesn't look like he's going to be either this year. 

What is the last statement based on? The spring game?

1 hour ago, Nope said:

What is the last statement based on? The spring game?

He didn't look good last year and all the spring practice reports have said he's struggling. Plus, with how much skill we have at RB and WR, I bet we use a TE less this year than the last two years. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He didn't look good last year and all the spring practice reports have said he's struggling. Plus, with how much skill we have at RB and WR, I bet we use a TE less this year than the last two years. 

I doubt that considering how much the TE stirs the drink for Herman’s offense. Brewer was getting considerable minutes as a frosh before injury. It may be that Epps gets a shot at being that guy if Brewer cannot, because one thing Herman values is multi tools. He prefers personnel mismatches to schematic ones, and much of that comes from quickly flexing receiving options from heavy packages after a conversion on short yardage.  

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I doubt that considering how much the TE stirs the drink for Herman’s offense. Brewer was getting considerable minutes as a frosh before injury. It may be that Epps gets a shot at being that guy if Brewer cannot, because one thing Herman values is multi tools. He prefers personnel mismatches to schematic ones, and much of that comes from quickly flexing receiving options from heavy packages after a conversion on short yardage.  

But Epps can't block. Dude's a wideout.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

But Epps can't block. Dude's a wideout.

Well, apparently Brewer can’t block well either, and that didn’t stop him from logging minutes in 2017. Epps is probably the better receiving threat, and is a WR in name only. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Well, apparently Brewer can’t block well either, and that didn’t stop him from logging minutes in 2017. Epps is probably the better receiving threat, and is a WR in name only

Dude is basically Collin Johnson's heir - he's real skinny. I'd say he was a TE in name only as a recruit.

49 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I may be misremembering, but I saw him 240+ lbs running repeated out routes in the spring game. Nothing about him looked skinny. 

The thing that makes Epps dangerous is matching him up against normal sized corners. He's 6'6+ with flypaper hands. We gain nothing from having him on the LOS.

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

The thing that makes Epps dangerous is matching him up against normal sized corners. He's 6'6+ with flypaper hands. We gain nothing from having him on the LOS.

He dropped a number of passes for having fly paper hands. If being a size mismatch were enough then Collin Johnson would have won the  Belitnikoff award. 

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I understand how Herman likes to run his offense but if Brewer is a poor pass blocker and a meh receiver, then is the 11 really all that multiple and does it really create any mismatches? I'd say no. We'll see what Herman decides.  He'll have to choose if he wants an average or less player at TE taking 90% of the snaps, or if he wants to put another elite athlete on the field via a 20 package or 4 wide instead of 11. In 2017, he chose shittier personnel so he could run the 11 package, but obviously that didn't go great as, shockingly, Grey was horrible and freshman Brewer was only sightly better.  Then again, there wasn't an elite skill player chomping at the bit to take those reps in 2017. I hope he makes a better decision this time around and gets Whittington, McCoy, or Jake Smith on the field over Brewer, at least part of the time, but we'll see. 

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Well, apparently Brewer can’t block well either, and that didn’t stop him from logging minutes in 2017. Epps is probably the better receiving threat, and is a WR in name only. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

And who is your next best choice if Cade Brewer can’t cut it? Letaio is just a guy, and the frosh aren’t ready. Epps looked like he ran a 5 flat in the spring game. 

Epps probably does run about a 5 flat 40, which is why it cracks me up when people act like he's going to be a star. He's a situational threat that is useful, but that's about it.   Epps certainly isn't a WR in name only, though.  He's been repping exclusively at X.  If Epps could block at all, he'd be at TE, but he can't. Again, having a guy at TE who can't be at least a credible threat at both blocking and receiving kills the point of trying to be multiple and really just makes your offense much less explosive than it otherwise could be.

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I understand how Herman likes to run his offense but if Brewer is a poor pass blocker and a meh receiver, then is the 11 really all that multiple and does it really create any mismatches? I'd say no. We'll see what Herman decides.  He'll have to choose if he wants an average or less player at TE taking 90% of the snaps, or if he wants to put another elite athlete on the field via a 20 package or 4 wide instead of 11. In 2017, he chose shittier personnel so he could run the 11 package, but obviously that didn't go great as, shockingly, Grey was horrible and freshman Brewer was only sightly better.  Then again, there wasn't an elite skill player chomping at the bit to take those reps in 2017. I hope he makes a better decision this time around and gets Whittington, McCoy, or Jake Smith on the field over Brewer, at least part of the time, but we'll see. 

Epps probably does run about a 5 flat 40, which is why it cracks me up when people act like he's going to be a star. He's a situational threat that is useful, but that's about it.   Epps certainly isn't a WR in name only, though.  He's been repping exclusively at X.  If Epps could block at all, he'd be at TE, but he can't. Again, having a guy at TE who can't be at least a credible threat at both blocking and receiving kills the point of trying to be multiple and really just makes your offense much less explosive than it otherwise could be.

I don’t disagree with most of that, but running extensive two back sets and 4 WR looks really hamstrings the smash mouth intent of this offense and doesn’t really allow the offense to get a big mismatch on the defense. Neither of our backs are big enough to pose threat as a blocker and neither will demand a bigger body who might be exploited out wide a down later. And none of WR’s, save Epps, is a threat to swing inside and at least wall off a LB. 

i honestly see Herman beating his head on the wall a bit while trying to force Brewer to fit his needs.  

Edited by Bobby_Batronic