2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I don’t disagree with most of that, but running extensive two back sets and 4 WR looks really hamstrings the smash mouth intent of this offense and doesn’t really allow the offense to get a big mismatch on the defense. Neither of our backs are big enough to pose threat as a blocked and will. It demand a bigger body who might be exploited out wide a down later, and none of WR’s, save Epps, is a threat to swing inside and at least wall off a LB. 

i honestly see Herman bearing his head on the wall a bit while trying to force Brewer to fit his needs.  

Same. Herman's been pretty rigid in forcing 11 personnel, but he's also never had a talent disparity like the one between Brewer some our RBs and WRs who won't technically be starters.  CJ probably won't be taking many plays off and if Brewer logs a lot snaps, then Herman will have a ton of talent sitting on the bench most games. McCoy is pretty built, and I think he'd be a better slot receiver than Epps. I'd love to see him be used in place of a TE sometimes, as I think he could effectively wall off a LB when needed, but that's asking a lot of a TR FR. I'd guess Herman will rely on/trust a third year Brewer more. 

This will hopefully only be a one year dilemma. One of Brewer, Liebrock, or Wiley should be good enough next year for Herman to run his preferred formation without sacrificing too much talent. 

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Epps probably does run about a 5 flat 40, which is why it cracks me up when people act like he's going to be a star.

So, he's weak and skinny, can't block, and has only occasionally flypaperish hands? And he's even slower than the guy with the funny name? And being a couple of inches taller means fuck-all? You need to inform MensaTom, quick, before we lose to Maryland, again.

10 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

He dropped a number of passes for having fly paper hands. If being a size mismatch were enough then Collin Johnson would have won the  Belitnikoff award. 

Agree to disagree. Epps isn't a TE.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

So, he's weak and skinny, can't block, and has only occasionally flypaperish hands? And he's even slower than the guy with the funny name? And being a couple of inches taller means fuck-all? You need to inform MensaTom, quick, before we lose to Maryland, again.

Nice aggregation of all the negatives from different posters. Epps is 6'6, 245 and he's elite at jump balls. That has value, but he doesn't have CJ"s fluidity or agility. He's very useful in certain situations, but I'll be surprised if he turns into an every down playmaker. 

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Agree to disagree. Epps isn't a TE.

He isn’t exactly an anything. Being tall and a good receiver while possessing TE size and OL speed doesn’t make you a WR just because you line up out wide. I don’t expect him to align inside the tackle and do a bunch of H insert stuff, but he might be valuable lining up on a wing should the defense show up in light fashion on the field or motioning across the formation to lead or fake a lead on a handoff. 

Brewer is going to get a chance to own the position.  He certainly flashed a bit as a frosh. But after him is a mishmash of no one to get excited about in 2019. Of these I think Epps has the best chance to be of immediate value. 

Just now, texifornia said:

Based on the team insta story, Epps and Angilau (among others I'm sure) got the fancy Champions Breakfast this morning.

Unpossible. Epps is too slow to make it to breakfast in time, and even if he could, his route-running is too poor for him to reach the table.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Unpossible. Epps is too slow to make it to breakfast in time, and even if he could, his route-running is too poor for him to reach the table.

Even if he reached the table, his sometimes-not-so-flypaper hands couldn't grip the breakfast. 

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Even if he could hold onto it, he wouldn't be able to generate any yards-after-grip.

And even if he managed a bit of YAG, there's zero chance he's housing that bounty. 

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26664203/projected-win-totals-2019-college-football-season

DraftKings Projected win totals for the 2019 college football season

May 3, 2019

Joe Klingele

It probably won't come as a surprise that Clemson and Alabama have the two highest projected win totals for the upcoming college football season.

Where do the betting lines lie with other top-25 hopefuls?  Here are the regular-season win totals (not including bowl games) from DraftKings:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL WIN TOTALS

TEAM TOTAL WINS OVER UNDER
Alabama Crimson Tide 11 +100 -121
Clemson Tigers 11 -139 +115
Georgia Bulldogs 10.5 -182 +150
Oklahoma Sooners 10 -148 +120
Ohio State Buckeyes 10 +100 -121
Boise State Broncos 10 -104 -118
UCF Knights 10 -134 +110
Washington Huskies 10 +137 -167
Washington State Cougars 10 -110 -110
Michigan Wolverines 9.5 -150 +123
Texas Longhorns 9.5 -110 -110
Florida Gators 9 +110 -134
Oregon Ducks 9 +120 -148
Penn State Nittany Lions 9 -110 -110
Miami Hurricanes 8.5 -150 +123
Utah Utes 8.5 -150 +123
Wisconsin Badgers 8.5 -134 +110
Auburn Tigers 8 +125 -152
Mississippi State Bulldogs 8 -175 +140
Florida State Seminoles 7.5 +110 -134
Michigan State Spartans 7.5 -110 -110
Texas A&M Aggies 7.5 -152 +125
USC Trojans 7.5 +137 -167
Tennessee Volunteers 7 +120 -148
Oklahoma State Cowboys 6 -110 -110

Not sure why LSU was left off this list???

Edited by LTtxfan

Actually, those +/- look pretty good to me. Michigan is probably too high, and Oklahoma State is probably too low, but I can't really argue with pretty much any of the others. Chuckling about aggy, of course (boycott incoming!) but that's actually pretty accurate. More than 7 wins would be a hell of a coaching job there, and 9 would be Coach of the Year worthy... but on the other hand, they've got more than their fair share of gimmes, too, so the floor isn't much lower than 7.

On 5/4/2019 at 11:56 PM, LTtxfan said:

TEAM TOTAL WINS OVER UNDER
Alabama Crimson Tide 11 +100 -121
Clemson Tigers 11 -139 +115
Georgia Bulldogs 10.5 -182 +150
Oklahoma Sooners 10 -148 +120
Ohio State Buckeyes 10 +100 -121
Boise State Broncos 10 -104 -118
UCF Knights 10 -134 +110
Washington Huskies 10 +137 -167
Washington State Cougars 10 -110 -110
Michigan Wolverines 9.5 -150 +123
Texas Longhorns 9.5 -110 -110
Florida Gators 9 +110 -134
Oregon Ducks 9 +120 -148
Penn State Nittany Lions 9 -110 -110
Miami Hurricanes 8.5 -150 +123
Utah Utes 8.5 -150 +123
Wisconsin Badgers 8.5 -134 +110
Auburn Tigers 8 +125 -152
Mississippi State Bulldogs 8 -175 +140
Florida State Seminoles 7.5 +110 -134
Michigan State Spartans 7.5 -110 -110
Texas A&M Aggies 7.5 -152 +125
USC Trojans 7.5 +137 -167
Tennessee Volunteers 7 +120 -148
Oklahoma State Cowboys 6 -110 -110

Not sure why LSU was left off this list???

Couldn't pick just one smartass comment...

Does aggy's projection include their spring game?

Is being projected with the 6th highest win total in the SEC the same as winning any other conference?

Is Texags bragging about being projected for .5 more wins than the real UT?

• Like 2

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26635686/the-future-head-coach-top-25-team

Article on current CFB players that might be future Head Coaches selected Malcolm Roach......

No. 7 Texas: Defensive end Malcolm Roach

"Roach played at Madison Prep, where his father, Mike, compiled a 40-12 record as the Louisiana school's first coach. Before that, Mike Roach was a college assistant, including at Grambling." -- Trotter

--------------------------------------------------------

So here's a couple questions for Surly folks:

1) Who do you think on the current roster at Texas could be a Head Coach one day??

2) Who are considered the brightest players for the Longhorns??

Edited by LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

^^^

Does it have to be current roster or does could be current count? Shane Buechele is the first name that comes to mind for me.

Yeah Shane is a possibility.  Maybe Beck, and PJ too??  Anderson seemed like a bright guy....

From the current roster Sterns, Brandon Jones, and Anthony Cook all come to mind as potential coaches.

Still curious about who the smart guys are on this current 2019 roster including the incoming freshmen....

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah Shane is a possibility.  Maybe Beck, and PJ too??  Anderson seemed like a bright guy....

From the current roster Sterns, Brandon Jones, and Anthony Cook all come to mind as potential coaches.

Still curious about who the smart guys are on this current 2019 roster including the incoming freshmen....

Anderson's dad is a doctor and he's got Rice and UT degrees. I don't think football coach is where his head is at.

Cook's been very open about wanting to go into business (whatever that means to a high school/college kid) after football, as well.

Edited by texifornia

5 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Where is Jamison gonna play? Imo the staff wasted a year with him trying him on offense. The dude can be a physical corner that can really help out the secondary.  

Speaking of which

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Texas-defensive-back-Jamison-hungry-for-more-13813841.php

40 minutes ago, victory88 said:

as if the smart kids are going to take a 15-20k assistant coaching job for a high school team.  Anyone with half a brain will get some rich UT alum to hire them because they played for Texas for much more money.  

Smart kids are going to GA at a college program and build connections while earning a graduate degree.  In an era where coordinators are starting to pull down 7 figures why not give it a shot.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

40 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Where is Jamison gonna play? Imo the staff wasted a year with him trying him on offense. The dude can be a physical corner that can really help out the secondary.  

The TD vs KSU made playing him worth it. He should be back at DB, kid is one hell of a player, love his game. Eats, breaths and sleeps football.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Never knew Jamison's nickname before. Found this info in the article:

"No matter what number I am, I’m going to be ‘Shark 5.’ I’m always going to be in the water, hunting, ready to attack.”

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

yeah, certainly seems like a waste in retrospect, but last offseason, we thought we were thin/weak at WR and that he may be needed. At least now, our roster is getting enough depth to not rob peter to pay paul anymore.

24 minutes ago, Goodman said:

The TD vs KSU made playing him worth it. He should be back at DB, kid is one hell of a player, love his game. Eats, breaths and sleeps football.

Yep. He's gonna be good, but he could've had the punt return TD even if he were practicing on defesne all last year.

Some of you forget Jamison was a highly touted DB that we stupidly put on offense to help with depth in the slot.  He has very very good coverage skills, is fast and physical.  His only knock is his height.  I think he’s going to be our 3rd DB off the bench depending on how Boyce develops.  He starts at a lot of other programs.  TCU wanted him bad.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Some of you forget Jamison was a highly touted DB that we stupidly put on offense to help with depth in the slot.  He has very very good coverage skills, is fast and physical.  His only knock is his height.  I think he’s going to be our 3rd DB off the bench depending on how Boyce develops.  He starts at a lot of other programs.  TCU wanted him bad.

By midseason I expect Green to pass Boyce. I can see Green, Cook, and Jamison playing ahead of Boyce. Imo Green has the potential to be the better of the 3. But there is a lot of unproven talent at the corner spots that need to step up quick.

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

And it's not like he is 5'8/9. He's 5'11 which is plenty tall. His ball skills are likely his most underrated skill. In HS, reminded me of Mathieu.

36 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

By midseason I expect Green to pass Boyce. I can see Green, Cook, and Jamison playing ahead of Boyce. Imo Green has the potential to be the better of the 3. But there is a lot of unproven talent at the corner spots that need to step up quick.

Green's already passed Boyce and Jamison likely will too by the fall. Part of this is Green and Jamison are super talented. The other part is that Boyce isn't all that great. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Thread moved quickly while I got sidetracked so I'll hit these points. 

Jamison would make for a great nickle in some defenses. Unfortunately, ours is not one of them. He profiles much better to field corner. 

Herman came out and talked about the need for speed in this conference after blowU. My take is he knew this wayyy before then, before he even took the job. With the depth at corner and no more RHM, Jamison was an easy fill in at the position but if you noticed, only had a handful of plays via lil Jordan. Jamison was going to play on returns anyways and was selfless when Herman asked for some juice on offense. 

Jamison is or at least will be (by the end of the season) the next corner up for Cook and Green. The fact that Jamison is a field corner exclusively (could play safety but we good) isn't a negative at all. Green was slotted for boundary while Cook, the more technically sound, profiled better to field. Well, turns out Cook has plenty of scrappiness to stick on their number 1 (we knew that) and physically hold his own on the boundary. Thanks (probably) due to Yancy on that one.