2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

10 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

That's preposterous RS2265_SEC_Network_Plus_WatchESPN_pos-sc

I hate to do this but 

1280px-Longhorn_Network_logo.svg.png

Just accept most of this shit is incompetence stemming from hiring a bunch of Bama grads and bros from Nashville as "college football experts" and there you go. 

No conspiracy, just general idiocy.

As an Oakland A's fan in the Northeast, I wish there was some plan to keep West Coast baseball down. But really it's just a bunch of rockheaded fools from Boston that are ok living in Bristol that keeps their baseball coverage shitty. College football is the same, they just outsource it.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

That whole fake bracket is just stupid anyway. I remember thinking it was cute how ESPN made this fake game between the 1989 49ers and the 1978 Steelers in 1990 to see who was the best team of all time. It was goofy and ridiculous. But at least that took real effort of them splicing game film from the 1981 matchup and various other film from the 1978 and 1989 to make it look like they were actually playing. But at least they were just having some fun nerding out and they were not taking it seriously.

This is just them smelling their own shit kind of nonsense, like the whole USC vs. the Mongol Hordes thing.

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

I hate to do this but 

1280px-Longhorn_Network_logo.svg.png

Just accept most of this shit is incompetence stemming from hiring a bunch of Bama grads and bros from Nashville as "college football experts" and there you go. 

No conspiracy, just general idiocy.

Couple of problems with that. 

1. Either the post I quoted was in jest or Dbeazy is that dumb. Can't ever tell with that guy. 

2. Of course ESPN has a vested interest in UT via LHN. What you don't see (until mayyybe after uga) is, or at least in the same stratosphere, the same bias and constant banter about the se by gawd c times 3. 

3. As a UT grad, I can distinguish these things and still have the self awareness to know what kind of ties my alma mater has and to whom, unlike and the exact antithesis of our agro american neighbors. 

• 4 weeks later...

IT team notes

TEAM

We all saw the same spring game. Between the windy conditions and Sam Ehlinger's erratic play, the defense made amends for the offense having its way the second half of the spring practice session. 

I asked a source what his takeaways were from the past month:

"Youth is evident on defense. They need to get much more consistent, and become much more cohesive. The defensive line is going to be good, probably better than expected. If something happens to Ossai or McCulloch there will be big trouble. I like the corners. Get Cook back healthy and put him in the boundary. The Jalen Green from Saturday is the one that's been out there the last few weeks. He's still too inconsistent but then he'll have days like yesterday and you think the switch is flipped. Just need to get everybody healthy and on the same page."

It was clear the defense was vanilla. We didn't see the Dime package that will likely be featured much of the season. To be expected the offense was also plain.

"They probably ran 6-7 base plays but they have so much more going on this year. They're going to score 40 points per game if Sam stays healthy. They need another slot receiver to emerge but they'll work Bru there and get Jake Smith in a month and a half. Those are immediate fixes. The main issue on offense is to keep building depth on the line but they're optimistic about that unit too and help is on the way there as well." 

The team is "off" until Tuesday when workouts resume. There's only another month left of school, then they get a few weeks off before returning for summer school and workouts.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:20 AM, Valmy77 said:

That whole fake bracket is just stupid anyway. I remember thinking it was cute how ESPN made this fake game between the 1989 49ers and the 1978 Steelers in 1990 to see who was the best team of all time. It was goofy and ridiculous. But at least that took real effort of them splicing game film from the 1981 matchup and various other film from the 1978 and 1989 to make it look like they were actually playing. But at least they were just having some fun nerding out and they were not taking it seriously.

This is just them smelling their own shit kind of nonsense, like the whole USC vs. the Mongol Hordes thing.

Off topic but that was not just one game..they had a whole season it was called NFL Dream Season

9 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

Off topic but that was not just one game..they had a whole season it was called NFL Dream Season

I think they did do that eventually. The thing I saw was a one off they made during the week before Super Bowl XXV back when I used to devour everything ESPN did. 

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Has Herman officially hired David Beaty as analyst/consultant? Beaty's Wikipedia page is written as if it's official: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Beaty_(American_football)

At the conclusion of Kansas's season, Beaty was hired by the Texas Longhorns to act as a consultant.

it's just referring to when he advised us for the Big 12 title game.

Just now, Tex Long said:

I wasn't all that impressed with the result of the "advice" - maybe that's why he's not on the staff (at least, not yet)?

We really don't know what "advice" Beaty gave Herman, but I doubt it made a difference either way.

Anyway, if you're being serious, the reason Beaty isn't on the staff yet is that he's in a contract dispute with KU, who's trying to weasel out of paying him his full buyout.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

We really don't know what "advice" Beaty gave Herman, but I doubt it made a difference either way.

Anyway, if you're being serious, the reason Beaty isn't on the staff yet is that he's in a contract dispute with KU, who's trying to weasel out of paying him his full buyout.

No, we don't know what the advice was. What I wrote is that I didn't like the result. I doubt any of us did.

I don't care greatly about his problem with KU, and I'm not quite sure what might be the effect on that dispute of him signing a five-figure consulting deal with MensaTom. 

Is he hanging around Austin at all? 

Off-season time.....

What's Surly's Report Card on progress of members of:

• 2017 Class
  • 2018 Class

Might also be interesting to see how early enrollees have done vs their class....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Early Enrollees  (All that I could find)

• Sam Ehlinger
  • Toneil Carter   (transfer)
  • Joshua Rowland

2018 Early Enrollees

• Mikey Grandy  (medical retirement)
  • Anthony Cook
  • BJ Foster
  • Caden Sterns
  • Brennan Eagles
  • Cameron Rising  (transfer Utah)
  • Casey Thompson
  • Ryan Bujcevski
  • Ayodele Adeoye

2019 Early Enrollees  (Just a reminder)

• Jordan Whittington
  • Roschon Johnson
  • DeGabriel Floyd
  • Jared Wiley
  • Bru McCoy
  • Tyler Johnson
  • Peter Mpagi
  • Marcus Tillman
  • Jacoby Jones
  • Caleb Johnson
Edited by LTtxfan

IT team notes

TEAM

Things will be a little quiet on the team front until the new arrivals get to Austin in early June, but we'll continue to plug away and try and ask sources questions we have when they arise.

With spring still fresh in everyone's mind I asked about players who will play a bigger role this season, and what they need to improve on the most.

So. CB Jalen Green - Technique needs to be more consistent -- there's never a reason for a technical breakdown. He's come a long way already but there is still work to be done. He could also know the playbook a little better, but so too can many other players. I asked if he could be better than Cook and my guy said that would be difficult because "Cook can be almost as good as Holton Hill. Hill is just more of a ball hawk." He's still really high on Green.

So. CB Anthony Cook - He needs to know the whole defense better to improve his work in concert with the safeties, sort of like a quarterback being on the same page with his wide receivers. The corner/safety dynamic changes depending on the coverage and there's ways to maximize results if everyone is on the same page. This has been stated before, but this source is very high on Cook and thinks he would have overtaken Kris Boyd if the senior wasn't out of eligibility. Knowing Green and Cook have added good weight I still asked if there were any size concerns. "They're not built like Boyd and Davis but they'll be fine and will get bigger and stronger."

RS Fr. OG Junior Angilau - He's not lacking athleticism but he needs to keep his feet underneath him. He relies on his hands and reach too much and this gets him off-balance. Defensive lineman are able to yank him around. When he is in proper position he's tough to beat. "He's not going to have the power of a Tope Imade but he moves much better." I asked about Imade, who will likely be the 4th guard next year and heard, "He's immovable." But with his heavy feet you can take that two ways.

RS Jr. DB Chris Brown - His problem is just getting on the field with all the talent in the secondary. "If they had to play him this year I'm not sure you'd notice any drop off from the starters. He took some major steps this spring. He's much more reliable when it comes to the small things." Brown won't start but his versatility will help him see the field, especially with the prospect of injuries and targeting penalties.

RS Fr. WR Malcolm Epps - He needs to become a more versatile route runner. He's a bit of a one-trick pony, though he's really good at that one trick. "He can dominate average corners by running fades but how will he do against guys UT hopes to play against?"

Sr. LB Jeffrey McCulloch - McCulloch played a lot last year but at a different position. With the new role and expanded snaps I specifically asked about him. He's a physical player but he can be even more physical in the run game taking on blockers. Some of that is understanding where they're coming from but he's pretty instinctive. "He needs to tackle better. He has a tendency to reach rather than hit and wrap up. It'll show up against the more elusive guys."

So. DB DeMarvion Overshown - The first thing with him is he needs to stay healthy. He just had his knee cleaned up in a routine procedure and should be fine. He'll find his way to Joker (we're expecting a heavy dose of Dime next season) but needs to rely less on instincts. He's currently just a run-to-the-ball player. They don't want to bridle him too much but he can get out of position at times.

So. LB Joseph Ossai - Ossai was good enough to earn snaps even though McCulloch played well at linebacker. He's going to take on an expanded role, likely even playing some Rover. "He needs to work on taking on blocks, he tends to catch blocks or try to beat them with athleticism. He needs to work on fundamentals but he's already improved a lot. He's a hell of an athlete but coverage is still new to him and entirely different than playing defensive end like he did in high school."

Fr. RB Jordan Whittington - The true freshman is going to be a key player in the offense even though he's playing a position that's new to him. "He just needs more reps. He's missed some running lanes. Not sure if that's a vision thing or if he's still learning where the play is supposed to hit but he's left some yards out there. Not to nit-pick, he's a stud.

Sr. RB Kirk Johnson - "He just needs to stay healthy and everyone will see. He's a dog."

RS Jr. OL Denzel Okafor - Getting to red-shirt last year was big for him. "He's still off balance in pass pro too much but he's definitely improved from last year. He improved this spring." Do you still give the nod to Kerstetter at tackle? "Yes, he's the better tackle but either can play there. Okafor is the better guard, but either can play there too."

These are the players my guy mentioned with minimal coaxing from me. You could add some other guys to the discussion like Josh Moore, Brennan Eagles and Bru McCoy. On defense you could likely add Keondre Coburn. He's not bullish on the other linebackers for this upcoming year.

Final note: The team is back to running and lifting weights. Yancy McKnight hasn't exactly been taking it easy on them from what we hear.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-19th-21st/

Texas hosted its annual Orange-White Spring game this weekend at Darrell K. Royal-Memorial Stadium. This was the first opportunity for the public to get a look at the 2019 version of the Texas Longhorns. Over the course of this week and next, we’ll take a look at what we were able to learn about each position group after 15 spring practices, as well as what questions still exist heading into the summer session and fall camp.

Offense

Quarterback

What we Learned: As expected, Casey Thompson emerged from spring practices firmly entrenched as the backup Quarterback to pre-season Heisman hopeful Sam Ehlinger. Thompson has continued to earn the trust of the offensive staff and had some nice moments during the spring game over the weekend. True Freshman QB Roschon Johnson is very likely to redshirt in 2019 and continue to indulge himself in the playbook and develop within the system.

Summer/Fall Outlook: Sam Ehlinger is the unquestioned leader of the program. While there are still some concerns about what his behind him if anything were to happen (Ehlinger has missed time in each of his first two seasons), there is more confidence in what Texas has in the QB room coming out of spring practices than there was heading into them after the losses of Shane Buechele (SMU) and Cameron Rising (Utah).

Summer Additions: N/A

Running Back

What we Learned: True Freshman Jordan Whittington is the real deal and appears to have firmly established himself as the #2 back on the depth chart after his performance this spring. Whittington and returning starter Keaontay Ingram give Texas a chance to have the best pass-catching RB duo in the Big XII. The versatility that Texas will have with these two on the field on the same time is something that Texas hasn’t had maybe since Ramonce Taylor and Jamaal Charles shared a backfield in 2005. This will also give Texas a distinct advantage this season if/when they decide to use a quick tempo/no-huddle approach. Opponents won’t be able to sub or matchup when Whittington motions out of the backfield into a slot WR position.

Summer/Fall Outlook: The questions that Texas has heading into the summer and fall are good questions to have. Where does Daniel Young carve out a role for himself in 2019? If Kirk Johnson is able to stay healthy, he will provide Texas with some home-run hitting ability. Texas heads into the summer with four healthy, scholarship Running Backs and are not expected to be active on the Grad Transfer market this year at the position.

Summer Additions: N/A

Wide Receiver/Tight End

What we Learned: Malcolm Epps was one of the breakout players during spring practices and has forced his way onto the field this fall. The comfort level that Sam Ehlinger has in Epps was apparent during the spring game, as he targeted Epps often, sometimes consecutively. Bru McCoy has been as advertised and will receive plenty of action in 2019 if he is ruled immediately eligible by the NCAA. Josh Moore was able to hold off Jordan Pouncey and McCoy for competition at Slot WR (H). Cade Brewer, as expected, is the starter at Tight End and will be backed up by Reese Leitao. True Freshman H-Back/TE Jared Wiley turned some heads this spring.

Summer/Fall Outlook: Collin Johnson will spend the summer rounding back into form and is expected to be 100% for fall camp. He and Devin Duvernay (who returned before spring ball ended and appears to be fully healthy) will form an extremely reliable Senior duo for the 2019 Texas Longhorns. The arrival of Jake Smith is one to watch this summer and fall, as he arrives as a Gatorade National Player of the Year from his home state of Arizona and is expected to contribute immediately on Special Teams and will have a package offensively. Jared Wiley was utilized exclusively as an H-Back during the spring game, which makes me wonder if incoming highly-touted Freshman Brayden Liebrock will be groomed as more of a traditional in-line TE. Kennedy Lewis and Marcus Washington are exciting prospects, but aren’t expected to contribute much in 2019 with the depth ahead of them. I am expecting some attrition at this position at some point before summer arrives.

Summer Additions: Jake Smith (Slot WR), Marcus Washington (Z-WR), Kennedy Lewis (X-WR), and Brayden Liebrock (TE)

Offensive Line

What we Learned: Samuel Cosmi had no issue whatsoever transitioning to the left side after starting every game last season at Right Tackle. Denzel Okafor appears to have made some big strides after redshirting last season and is expected to be the starter at Right Tackle. I thought that Okafor and Derek Kerstetter (who could also slide over to Center in a pinch and will likely serve as the primary backup there) were very solid, if not good, during the Orange-White game on a re-watch. Okafor looked much smoother kicking back in pass protection than he ever has. Their performance on Saturday falls in line with what we’ve been hearing about the tandem throughout the spring. Redshirt Freshmen Reese Moore and Christian Jones are starting to look the part, but continue to be works in progress. Jones gave up the hit (Peter Mpagi) on Casey Thompson that resulted in a Kobe Boyce interception.

Summer/Fall Outlook: Zach Shackelford is a plus-player at his Center position. Texas OL Coach Herb Hand appears to be settled at Left Tackle, Center, Right Guard, and Right Tackle. Redshirt Freshman Junior Angilau saw more work with the first-team at LG than Redshirt Junior Tope Imade did during the spring game. If a Freshman is even with a Junior coming out of the spring, it is very likely that the older player will be surpassed come fall. Parker Braun, Angilau, and Imade will be competing for the final spot along the line come August. The arrival of Javonne Shepherd and Isaiah Hookfin in the summer provides some immediate competition for Reese Moore and Christian Jones, and represent possible talent upgrades at both positions.

Summer Additions: Parker Braun (G/C), Javonne Shepherd (T), and Isaiah Hookfin (T)

Guys I'd like to see win out a spot:

4i: Ojomo > Graham. Graham has played high and soft for two years now and did the same thing in the spring game. He just doesn't show any aggression off the ball and is often seen standing high, getting washed out of the play. If he's not going to make impact plays or be routinely solid in the run game, then we need someone to beat him out, and my bet would be on Ojomo. Maybe Jones takes some of these snaps too, but he looks too small to be the regular 4i.  

Johnson>Dele: This woudl likely happen by Johnson nabbing Rover and McCulloch moving to Mac, but Johnson needs to show he's better than Dele for this to happen. You could tell Johnson didn't know where to go in the spring game, but his quickness and agility jumped off the screen a few times. Dele still just looks slow and when we start our conference slate, Big 12 Os will pick on Dele endlessly and Orlando won't be able to protect him through scheme. This can also be mitigated by playing Foster at Nickel and Overshown/Brown at Joker, so the second ILB functionally becomes either the Joker or Nickel depending on the play. Overshown looked extremely good in the box during the spring game. I don't really care if we call him a S or a LB, but he's likely one of our best 11 and he's very good near the LOS. 

Kerstetter to Rt, Okafor to RG: This one has been discussed a ton. Both spots get upgraded if it happens.

Coburn>Wilbon: This one has already pretty much happened and they'll be in a timeshare no matter what, but Coburn has the capability to push the pocket and make off schedule plays, while Wilbon is just solid. He won't get washed out, but he also won't cause much pressure. Coburn at Nose takes our whole defense up a level. 

Swap out 11 personnel for 20: Not spot per se, but Brewer is a meh blocker and receiver. I'd rather get another explosive playmaker on the field in Whittington. Whittington and Ingram's blocking ability will likely  be the limiting factor for this formation.

Braun at LG: This one is pretty much a foregone conclusion. Angilau is still super raw and while I like his athleticism, his technique needs another year's work. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

10-2 +/-2. +2 if we stay mostly healthy and/or Thompson can manage a game or two when Sam is inevitably a little bit dinged up. -2 if we have the wrong people hurt and/or MensaTom brainfarts WVU or OSU again.

Mark me down:  WVU is gonna suck this year.  We should annihilate them.

As for the others, oSu will be same as they always are.  TCU will probably be better this year than last, and we'll have to play them in Ft. Worth.  Iowa State will be tough, and we play them in Ames in mid-November.  That won't be fun.

Here's our complete schedule:

• La Tech. - Should be an easy win, so long as we don't go full Maryland/Tulsa against them.
  • LSU - Everyone has this game circled.
  • @ Rice (NRG) - See Tulsa 2018.
  • oSu - Sets up well for us to be fresh and healthy for this game.  Let's hope we bring it.  I'd rather get oSu early in the year when they're still breaking in a new QB than at the end of the year, after he's clicking in their offense.
  • BYE
  • @ WVU - Week before OU and a trip to Morgantown aren't great.  But (as stated above) WVU is gonna suck next year.
  • ou - Will be interesting to see how Hurts looks with a much less experienced line, less receiver talent, and much less quicks than Kyler.  I think Riley is going to have to use Hurts as a battering ram a la Sam in 2017, so it'll be interesting to see how he holds up.
  • KU - They're gonna be really bad.
  • @ TCU - this will probably be a hard fought game.
  • BYE
  • K-State - They're gonna suck next year, too.
  • @ ISU - See above.
  • @ Baylor - Fuck Baylor.
  • Tech (Black Friday game) - I kind of think they'll suck, especially by the end of the year when they're inevitably banged up.

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Here's our complete schedule:

• La Tech. - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • LSU - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • @ Rice (NRG) - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • oSu - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • BYE - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • @ WVU - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • ou - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • KU - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • @ TCU - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch
  • BYE - Texas wins, go fuck yourself bitch