Atlanta Georgia Recs

Jack Straw

Will be in Atlanta for a long weekend in late March/early April. I have not been to Atlanta since I was a kid, with my parents, so it is sort of a blank slate for me to fill and looking for some recommendations.

Staying downtown Peachtree Center 

Will be Ubering, no car. 

We arrive Thursday AM and leave Monday afternoon.  Have plans (concerts) Saturday and Sunday nights at a place near Fourth Ward Park.  

Beyond that, the rest of the weekend is open for sites,  activities, culture, meals, etc. 

Planning on visiting the High Museum one afternoon.  GF has expressed some interest in a tour of CNN as she has a relative who works there.  What else shouldn't we miss?  Must do places to eat (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) -  anything from divey to high end is in our bailiwick - would like to focus on Southern/regional fare as much as possible, but not exclusively.  Not interested in bars, unless its to eat, or see music. 

Hit me - thx

Vortex for burgers.  Silver Skillet for breakfast.  J Christopher’s is also good breakfast spot. Pasta da Pulcinella for great Italian (you’ll need reservations). Mary Mac’s tearoom is a great southern food place. All are in midtown or within the vicinity. 

college football hall of fame is worth checking out. clermont lounge for some unique  entertainment

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 2

Taqueria del Sol for lunch or dinner.  Ria's Bluebird for breakfast.  Five Seasons Brewing for dinner and beers.  Cypress Pint and Plate if you're in the Midtown area for lunch.  There may be something going on at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, which is adjacent to Piedmont Park also.

• Like 2

What club/bands are you seeing? Will help with plans.

Great recs so far though don't know if Pitty Pat's is still open. Baboso recs are on point. Eurohorn lives in that area.... Knows his stuff. At Taqueria del Sol, skip the line and head to bar for instant seating. (Don't tell anyone though) Killer Grind House on Piedmont has great burgers. Close to Botanical Gardens.

Avoid:. Varsity for eating, World of Coke tour and Underground Atlanta. Stay away at all cost.

Aquarium is great, as is college football HOF. CNN tour is cool but would put it after Aquarium and HOF.

Cypress Pint and Plate has a great brunch menu. Nowak's in Virginia Highlands has my favorite brunch in Atlanta and sometimes has a great Dixie Land jazz band on Sundays. Murphy's in the same area has good brunch on Sundays.

Saturday during the day, Ponce City Market is really cool. Old Ford Plant then Sears building. Now cool shops. GF will love it. Huge complex on Ponce, not far from downtown. Krog City Market, east of downtown is also cool.

• Like 1

I think Tucker is on acid. Obviously never been to Fox Bros... Not far from downtown or City Winery, Krog Market. True Texas BBQ by two brothers from Texas. Buddies with the Taqueria del Sol guys.

Folk Art is great as is Wisteria. Next door to each other. Separated by cool neighborhood bar called North Highlands Pub. Tell Julia I said hi.

City Winery is next to Ponce City Market. Close to all of the North Highlands bars, Folk Art and The Clairmont Lounge. Not for to Cypress or all of Eurohorns recs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I think Tucker is on acid.

Folk Art is great as is Wisteria. Next door to each other. Separated by cool neighborhood bar called North Highlands Pub. Tell Julia I said hi.

City Winery is next to Ponce City Market. Close to all of the North Highlands bars, Folk Art and The Clairmont Lounge. Not for to Cypress or all of Eurohorns recs.

many thanks.  it sounds like set up there at city winery is, doors at 6:00 and time to eat there ahead of the show if you want, show at 8:00.  knowing nothing of the venue other than what i can see on their site, we were trying to figure out if we should do that and eat there before the show, or eat somewhere else (better) ahead of time and then show up closer to 8:00 for the show.  thoughts one way or the other?  

City Winery actually has a fair kitchen.  Empire State South and South City Kitchen are both in Midtown; either would be better than City Winery.  You are a short (maybe 3 miles) hop to City Winery from either.  The restaurants in Ponce City Market are packed on weekends.

1 hour ago, baboso said:

City Winery actually has a fair kitchen.  Empire State South and South City Kitchen are both in Midtown; either would be better than City Winery.  You are a short (maybe 3 miles) hop to City Winery from either.  The restaurants in Ponce City Market are packed on weekends.

south city kitchen looks right up our alley - we will hit that once for sure

17 hours ago, spystud13 said:

What’s the joint that only makes 30 or so burgers at the bar starting at 10 on certain weeknights? It’s been on a number of food shows for their quality. 

Guess that won’t help Jack much on a weekend though. 

Holeman and Finch.   It is at 285 and 75 in the Battery, next to the Braves Stadium.    They also have one in Ponce City Market (next to City Winery).   Good luck getting in either of those places.  I don't know if they still limit the burgers to 24, but they used to be only served after 10pm.  

Like Baboso said, the food at City Winery is OK, but better to be had.   As mentioned, South City is top notch.  Wisteria and  Folk Art are just around the corner from Ponce City.  The huge drawback to eating at City Winery is the service is generally horrible.  And once the show starts, good luck in finding a server to bring you anything at all so stock up on wine/drinks before hand.  The venue itself is kind of cool.  Room is very wide and not very deep so all of the seats are generally good.  Sound system is great.  Saw Los Lobos there and it was a top 10 show for me.  Also caught Rhett Miller there.  

Please send Margo my love.  I've been stalking her since 1988.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Holeman and Finch.   It is at 285 and 75 in the Battery, next to the Braves Stadium.    They also have one in Ponce City Market (next to City Winery).   Good luck getting in either of those places.  I don't know if they still limit the burgers to 24, but they used to be only served after 10pm.  

Like Baboso said, the food at City Winery is OK, but better to be had.   As mentioned, South City is top notch.  Wisteria and  Folk Art are just around the corner from Ponce City.  The huge drawback to eating at City Winery is the service is generally horrible.  And once the show starts, good luck in finding a server to bring you anything at all so stock up on wine/drinks before hand.  The venue itself is kind of cool.  Room is very wide and not very deep so all of the seats are generally good.  Sound system is great.  Saw Los Lobos there and it was a top 10 show for me.  Also caught Rhett Miller there.  

Please send Margo my love.  I've been stalking her since 1988.

great recc's and comments, thank you.  i will tell margo hello for you.  i recall many years ago, talking with her after a show and paying her some fawning compliment, probably about her beauty, and she politely said thank you, i'll be sure and tell my husband you said that.  haha

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

great recc's and comments, thank you.  i will tell margo hello for you.  i recall many years ago, talking with her after a show and paying her some fawning compliment, probably about her beauty, and she politely said thank you, i'll be sure and tell my husband you said that.  haha

Last time I saw them, Townes Van Zandt opened.    It was in an old foundry building next to a railroad track.  Great setting.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

JTC Kitchen is pretty good as well... has a nice bar with bocce going in that same development too.

Unfortunately I think Clermont Lounge is now closed as that might be fun.

Surprised no one mentioned Cheetah lounge yet

Clermont is still open. They renovated the hotel above it as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

JTC Kitchen is pretty good as well... has a nice bar with bocce going in that same development too.

I also left out one BIG avoid.  BUCKHEAD.  Avoid at ALL COSTS.  Only a couple of places worth going (Hal's Steakhouse is one of them).  

----  I ALWAYS forget about that place.  There is a Taqueria Del Sol in that same parking lot.  At corner of 14th and Howell Mill on the West side.  Again, not far from Midtown.

----  It actually never closed.  The hotel was shut down for a long time, but was by their yesterday and it has been completely remodeled.  Don't know if it is open.  A lot of touring bands will stop in on Sunday nights and sing karaoke.  

----   AH...the Spring Street Ballet.  

Edited by hullabelew

• 1 month later...

Bit late to this thread and as an outsider, may not be the best opinions but here they are. Fox Bros is great, just wish I could actually catch them when they have beef rib, as I hear it is awesome. My favorite place, anywhere in the ATL vicinity, is in Douglasville. It is the best cajun food I have ever had, outside of Lafayette or Alexandria, LA. That is Gumbeaux's. Everything is awesome there and huge portions(I make three meals out of it these days). My favorite is their seafood rotini, A huge plate of rotini with cajun cream sauce, shrimp, crawfish and andouille sausage. Doesn't really need it but put some hot sauce in it for an extra kick. Comes with garlic french bread and two sides. Like I said, enough for several meals, unless you are like I was in my teens and 20's, with a bottomless stomach.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, baboso said:

Shit yes.  Garden & Gun Club is in the Battery right there at Suntrust Park.

https://gardenandgunclub.com/

Excellent. I'll read through this thread more before chiming in again but what are some good highlights for the wife and I took look at? We're flying in on Saturday afternoon and renting a car. We figured we can travel around for most of the day and not go to the hotel until later since it's Northwest of downtown. Sunday would be get up and have breakfast somewhere, ball game at 1:20, show at 8pm. Fly out Monday afternoon. So we'll have some time to do things. Coca Cola Museum is on the agenda. 

If you like Civil War stuff, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield is about 10 or so miles north of the ballpark.  Despite what was said earlier in the thread, Georgia Aquarium is world class.  If you're around Midtown Atlanta, Atlanta Botanical Garden by Piedmont Park is nice to walk through.

5 hours ago, baboso said:

If you like Civil War stuff, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield is about 10 or so miles north of the ballpark.  Despite what was said earlier in the thread, Georgia Aquarium is world class.  If you're around Midtown Atlanta, Atlanta Botanical Garden by Piedmont Park is nice to walk through.

Kennesaw Mountain is really cool, actually. Especially when you get to the hill where Johnny Reb and Billy Yank were literally like 10 feet away from each other and unable to move for 3 days for fear of getting shot, that's just kind of bone-chilling to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say that all the recs on this thread were great. We got in around 2pm on Saturday and went to Folk Art. Had a great brunch. Went around the Little 5 Points which was interesting. Got called a racist by a Black Israelite as I was walking along because I had a smile on my face. That was fun. Went to Wisteria for dinner as we thought it was a little lighter after a big lunch at Folk Art. Sunday morning, got up and went to Kennesaw Mountain and walked around for a little bit. Had brunch at South City Kitchen not far from Smyrna where we were staying. Went to the Braves afternoon game which was great. That whole area around the ballpark is fun. Came back for our show at the Roxy and just grabbed some pizza since Garden & Gun Club was closed. After the show we went to Punch Bowl Social. Woke up this morning and went through Piedmont Park and over to the MLK Historical Center before having Ria's Bluebird. Shrimp and grits there were great. Then headed to the airport and back home. Job well done once again, Surly!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The original Holeman & Finch is on Peachtree on the south end of Buckhead. That’s where they used to do 24 burgers at 10pm and I still think it’s the best place to get that burger. It’s damn good.

I actually don’t hate Buckhead as much as Hulla. It will never be what it once was (killer bar district with acres of talent) but King + Duke, Atlas, Chops, Bone’s, Kyma, The Palm, New York Prime (you can smoke a stogie there, which is rare), Seven Lamps, St Cecilia, and heck even Shake Shack are all worthy. There’s a Fado there too which shows all the Premier League games, even the 7:30am ones.

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I just want to say that all the recs on this thread were great. We got in around 2pm on Saturday and went to Folk Art. Had a great brunch. Went around the Little 5 Points which was interesting. Got called a racist by a Black Israelite as I was walking along because I had a smile on my face. That was fun. Went to Wisteria for dinner as we thought it was a little lighter after a big lunch at Folk Art. Sunday morning, got up and went to Kennesaw Mountain and walked around for a little bit. Had brunch at South City Kitchen not far from Smyrna where we were staying. Went to the Braves afternoon game which was great. That whole area around the ballpark is fun. Came back for our show at the Roxy and just grabbed some pizza since Garden & Gun Club was closed. After the show we went to Punch Bowl Social. Woke up this morning and went through Piedmont Park and over to the MLK Historical Center before having Ria's Bluebird. Shrimp and grits there were great. Then headed to the airport and back home. Job well done once again, Surly!

Damn, you covered more of Atlanta in a few hours than I do in a month. If I'd known you were heading to L5P, I would would have recommended the Porter Beer Bar. Check it out next time.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread is not bad, but no one really delved into Va-Hi, Decatur, Brookhaven, Vinings, about 90% of Buckhead and Midtown, all of West Midtown, and a number of suburbs, some of which have some pretty cool spots. 

Rule from a longtime Atlantan - don't stay downtown and if you do, don't go anywhere there except one of the stadiums, the Aquariums/museums or the CNN Center. Go North or East, young man. 

Brewhouse is one of the best soccer bars in the US. It's in Little 5. You'll be shunned if you don't know your shit though. You are also in the minority if you're American, regardless of who is playing. However the English and Irish speak pretty good English, so allow them to be your guides. 

Check out Stone Mountain as well. The carving is obviously controversial, but it is one of the largest rocks in the country (really, it's a huge rock without many trees on it) and you can climb it fairly easily without any gear except some decent athletic shoes with tread. 

Swallow in the Hollow is also solid for BBQ. This is not Texas, so you may want to try to pork here (either ribs or chopped). 

Just speaking solely of ITP, you can be in a million different worlds in one day. It's a very low-key diverse city. Buford Hwy, for example, has cuisine from dozens of countries on just a mile or two stretch. Decatur will have you thinking you're in the Bay Area or Greenwich Village, but parts of Buckhead will have you thinking you're in Miami or Southhampton. I now people from each area that has no idea how to get to the other or why they'd go. It's pretty funny, actually. 

Enjoy. This is a truly underrated city. 

On 8/10/2020 at 7:40 AM, After irth said:

Has anyone been to The Whiskey Project in Roswell?  Just wondering if it’s worth it...?

Roswell is worth it. Brewing company and some good restaurants and bars downtown. About 10 miles north of downtown or 6 miles north of Buckhead. 

This thread is not bad, but no one really delved into Va-Hi, Decatur, Brookhaven, Vinings, about 90% of Buckhead and Midtown, all of West Midtown, and a number of suburbs, some of which have some pretty cool spots. 
Rule from a longtime Atlantan - don't stay downtown and if you do, don't go anywhere there except one of the stadiums, the Aquariums/museums or the CNN Center. Go North or East, young man. 
Brewhouse is one of the best soccer bars in the US. It's in Little 5. You'll be shunned if you don't know your shit though. You are also in the minority if you're American, regardless of who is playing. However the English and Irish speak pretty good English, so allow them to be your guides. 
Check out Stone Mountain as well. The carving is obviously controversial, but it is one of the largest rocks in the country (really, it's a huge rock without many trees on it) and you can climb it fairly easily without any gear except some decent athletic shoes with tread. 
Swallow in the Hollow is also solid for BBQ. This is not Texas, so you may want to try to pork here (either ribs or chopped). 
Just speaking solely of ITP, you can be in a million different worlds in one day. It's a very low-key diverse city. Buford Hwy, for example, has cuisine from dozens of countries on just a mile or two stretch. Decatur will have you thinking you're in the Bay Area or Greenwich Village, but parts of Buckhead will have you thinking you're in Miami or Southhampton. I now people from each area that has no idea how to get to the other or why they'd go. It's pretty funny, actually. 
Enjoy. This is a truly underrated city. 

Swallow at the Hollow was never that great, and it closed in 2018 anyway. Fox Bros is probably tops for ATL (Texas transplants). There are some good options in the burbs.

Buckhead has crime issues at the moment. Just be aware of that.