rage-a-holic

Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

5 minutes ago, BearMace said:

So is their working theory that the homeless are stealing bikes, breaking them down, shuffling the parts around to decrease the value, and then somebody is coming by to pick up the newly less valuable bikes in bulk? They got a spray booth under there too?

nothing new

https://abc7news.com/chop-shop-bicycle-theft-san-jose-downtown/5698704/

So is their working theory that the homeless are stealing bikes, breaking them down, shuffling the parts around to decrease the value, and then somebody is coming by to pick up the newly less valuable bikes in bulk? They got a spray booth under there too?

You’re not necessarily decreasing the value. It’s about making it less traceable. Say you had a white Trek with Shimano components and a black Specialized with Sram that are stolen. Switch the components and now neither fits a police report on a stolen bike. Sell the “new” bike on Craigslist.

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You’re not necessarily decreasing the value. It’s about making it less traceable. Say you had a white Trek with Shimano components and a black Specialized with Sram that are stolen. Switch the components and now neither fits a police report on a stolen bike. Sell the “new” bike on Craigslist.

Careful, you're gonna out yourself as cyclist around here. Not arguing with what your saying, I just don't see most bikes that are stolen being high end to where the owners even had any idea what groupset the bike originally had. Those bikes shouldn't be being left on balconies or chained up out sight unless you just really want them to go missing. A more reasonable cover would be to grind off any serial numbers and repaint which is what I was joking about. Or, the possibility exists that they're actually taking pretty useless bikes that I'm sure you can find anywhere and Frankensteining them into functional bikes. That seems just as reasonable to me as shuffling parts around on Walmart and Costco POS bikes.    

56 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this is in district 6, right?

lump needs to put on her catgirl cosplay outfit and go down there and kick some ass.

I just moved here from Cedar Park but from looking at the map I’m in 10, this intersection is in 6 and my NextDoor is a mix of 10, 6, 7 basically 620/2222/360/183 bleeding over towards North Mopac some.

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Adler and Kitchen are gonna dub this a "small business enterprise that needs our city's support" by the end of the week.  They'll have a $500k grant by the end of the month.  

Maybe the city”artists” will be assigned to paint these bum camps to add to the historic art portfolio, so future Austinites can oooh & aaaah about the good ol’ days.

9 hours ago, BearMace said:

Careful, you're gonna out yourself as cyclist around here. Not arguing with what your saying, I just don't see most bikes that are stolen being high end to where the owners even had any idea what groupset the bike originally had. Those bikes shouldn't be being left on balconies or chained up out sight unless you just really want them to go missing. A more reasonable cover would be to grind off any serial numbers and repaint which is what I was joking about. Or, the possibility exists that they're actually taking pretty useless bikes that I'm sure you can find anywhere and Frankensteining them into functional bikes. That seems just as reasonable to me as shuffling parts around on Walmart and Costco POS bikes.    

they are stealing bikes.  how many, who knows.  I don't really care but that is what they are doing.

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they are stealing bikes.  how many, who knows.  I don't really care but that is what they are doing.

i often see posts on nextdoor and austin reddit about bikes getting stolen. i wonder how many end up in these makeshift chop shops. 

yea, those mofos are homeless by choice. not a responsibility or care in the world. shoot up when they want, thieve when they want, piss and shit when and where they want. they are counting the days until they can find a job, pay taxes and be model citizens.