Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

9 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I usually take my confederate flag off the truck when I go north of the river.

Travis Rebel, eh?

I went to St. Ed’s High School. We used to look across at Travis from the Hilltop and salivate at the thought of all the good poon going to waste on those Rebel rednecks.

• Hook 'Em 1

I remember the first tug-o-war.  couple brothers and I listened to it on the radio, circled around a card table in their gravel driveway, rebuilding the carb on their old (66?) Ford pickup.  technically, Manchaca; so not SA, but we all grew up together in a neighborhood between Stassney and Ben White.

but 78759, where I live now, has lots of soul.  at least in my neighborhood, there're plenty of those "I'm so gonna vote", "Love is love, etc." and Biden-Harris signs still up in yards.  just ignore the Teslas, Audis and Beemers in those same driveways.

it's unfortunate that BradATX moved out to the hill country.  Otherwise, I'm sure he'd be happy to host the hordes of unwashed if he was more conveniently located for them.

33 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My hippie son is still trying to maintain the Keep Austin Weird schtick in his little 1961 house in “the 45” -  Although he was born at the Old Seton in West Campus, grew up in “the 53” and graduated Reagan (Class of 1989).

He passes the South Austin test. 

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He passes the South Austin test. 

His two sons - ages 18 & 10 were born there.... in the house.

His front yard is covered with sunflowers & cactus. Whenever we visit it feels like I should be wearing a pith helmet & leather chaps while carrying a Weatherby .460 to meet the charge of a rhino bursting out of the undergrowth.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wd40 said:

but 78759, where I live now, has lots of soul.  at least in my neighborhood, there're plenty of those "I'm so gonna vote", "Love is love, etc." and Biden-Harris signs still up in yards.  just ignore the Teslas, Audis and Beemers in those same driveways.

This is where I live too, close to Laurel Mountain Elementary.  I love the area.

18 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Mayor fuck face said the Candlewood Suites wouldn’t be a walk up shelter but would be for rent paying tenant.  Then in the next sentence said they be paying rent with vouchers.

It will absolutely be a walk up shelter regardless of what he says.  they are completely grasping a straws while attempting to mask following the San Francisco plan.

prediction - buy hotels, reverse camping ordinance, tents still everywhere because they won't enforce.  one year from now Mayor/Council fuck faces and dumbasses say they didn't realize how big the problem was and need more money.  2000 "permanent" homeless my ass...

Its actually hilarious seeing the lunacy from council/mayor, who are for the most part supposed to be highly educated people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Mayor fuck face said the Candlewood Suites wouldn’t be a walk up shelter but would be for rent paying tenant.  Then in the next sentence said they be paying rent with vouchers.

So Mr Mayor, you and council will be physically walking the vouchers into the hotel?

“well, no...the homeless will.  Or My secretary could do it.”

”Steve, what exactly would you say it is...you do for Austin?”

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I don't know who's running this or how they'll approach it, but if it's taking vouchers it would be extremely unlikely to offer walk-up shelter services. I can't think of a facility that does both. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I don't know of one. 

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

It will absolutely be a walk up shelter regardless of what he says.  they are completely grasping a straws while attempting to mask following the San Francisco plan.

prediction - buy hotels, reverse camping ordinance, tents still everywhere because they won't enforce.  one year from now Mayor/Council fuck faces and dumbasses say they didn't realize how big the problem was and need more money.  2000 "permanent" homeless my ass...

Its actually hilarious seeing the lunacy from council/mayor, who are for the most part supposed to be highly educated people. 

BZCZANZQMM4JLJPGGNZPG4AQFA.gif

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On 2/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, blacklab said:

I hadn't been along first street in a while and was shocked by what I saw yesterday. I thought camping was still banned in parks and I'm pretty sure we were told the town lake hike and bike trails wouldn't be affected. Hundreds of tents along town lake from congress to mopac. I could give a fuck about tents under the highway but could we clean up the area along town lake?

The 3 mile Mopac to Lamar pedestrian bridge loop is homeless tent free. I hadn't done the loop to Congress bridge in awhile and when I made that loop a month ago I also was shocked at the tent city around 1st St bridge. During the walk, there was a homeless dude yelling non-sense shit at people walking on the trails. He was really yelling at a tourist looking woman and her 2 grade school kids. I thought I was going to have to intervene. It's a disgrace what the camping free for all has done to the city.

Just another fucking day in Austin. Fuck Adler and the city council. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

It was supposed to be tent-free, but it ain't.  And I like that the two block stretch along Town Lake on Chavez are the two blocks in front of the Mayor's Office and the Mayor's Condo.  What a curious confluence of compassion and coincidence.  Alliteratively Asshole Adler.

Edited by Lobo

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It was supposed to be tent-free, but it ain't.  And I like that the two block stretch along Town Lake on Chavez are the two blocks in front of the Mayor's Office and the Mayor's Condo.  What a curious confluence of compassion and coincidence.  Alliteratively Asshole Adler.

d91.gif

19 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not really.  South Austin has as many California plates in it than any other part of the city.  Congress.  South 1st.  Especially, now, south of Ben White. I've lived in the '35 for 20+ years and drive SW Parkway every afternoon and every 7th or 8th plate is in from California.  Especially the unbridled dumb fucks who still don't know that's it a right turn only into Travis Country after 4P.

James White said that south Austin went to hell 15 years ago.  I'll defer to him.  So should everyone else.    

see we are diverse, fuckin' Californians everywhere...

The 3 mile Mopac to Lamar pedestrian bridge loop is homeless tent free. I hadn't done the loop to Congress bridge in awhile and when I made that loop a month ago I also was shocked at the tent city around 1st St bridge. During the walk, there was a homeless dude yelling non-sense shit at people walking on the trails. He was really yelling at a tourist looking woman and her 2 grade school kids. I thought I was going to have to intervene. It's a disgrace what the camping free for all has done to the city.
Just another fucking day in Austin. Fuck Adler and the city council. 
But but but would you rather have him hidden away in the woods somewhere instead of harassing children and tourists in downtown??!

Fuck. Yes.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you like actively working solutions to addressing the issue of homelessness, consider supporting Mobile Loaves & Fishes and Community First! Village. Not funded by any city, state, or federal money, but only because the community comes to bat for us. Happy to answer any questions you have about the place or the concept.

https://www.amplifyatx.org/p2p/184895

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It's almost as if allowing public camping pretty much wherever by the mentally ill/drug addicted is bad policy.  
Very surprised to see public camping causing severe public health and safety problems. No one could have anticipated this.

Drove all through South Austin today and didn't realize how ridiculously out of control the homeless and tent situation had become.  I just don't understand how our government officials (and a significant portion of our citizens?) believe that letting people live for months and years in tents under underpasses and beside the road is acceptable, in any way, shape or form.  And any comment along the lines of "well what do we do with them?" demonstrates an incredible lack of common sense, but if that's the defense you want to put up, good luck with that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

so what happened the hundreds of millions that the shithead voters already approved???????

AUSTIN, Texas — The Austin City Council is taking steps toward approving funds that would help create hundreds of affordable housing units across the area.

According to Austin Business Journal, last week, council members discussed getting up to $64 million worth of bonds for three new housing developments.
These include an East Austin multifamily development called Libertad Austin at Gardner, a North Austin project called the Espero at Rutland and a development called City Heights, which is set for southeast Austin.

The three projects could add nearly 500 affordable units and will be available to low-income families and people experiencing homelessness.

So far, councilmembers have only approved funding for Libertad Austin at Gardner.

Edited by crash_davis

19 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

sign up for the ‘save austin now pac’ on the soc meed’s if you want to support the camping ban with info, donations, volunteer oops, etc.

isn't this the pac that help get foreheadlump elected? ewww. can i hate the homeless and not be lumped in with those shitheads?

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, Dbeasy said:

Drove all through South Austin today and didn't realize how ridiculously out of control the homeless and tent situation had become.  I just don't understand how our government officials (and a significant portion of our citizens?) believe that letting people live for months and years in tents under underpasses and beside the road is acceptable, in any way, shape or form.  And any comment along the lines of "well what do we do with them?" demonstrates an incredible lack of common sense, but if that's the defense you want to put up, good luck with that. 

Common sense and practical approach to the homeless situation?

Lulz.  Welcome to Earth. 

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

OoOoo 500 more "affordable" units in a couple years when they're ready? That should do the trick! 

Yep. It's all a giant scam. They create a problem. They convince people money needs to be thrown at the problem. Friends and family profit off the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We do need more affordable housing. Where are all of the people working minimum wage jobs supposed to live? 

This shit is out of control and what we're currently doing isn't working. I think they need to build a hundred shelters that sleep ~20 people each, interspersed in communities throughout the entire city. And in all communities. Not just in poor communities. No more giant shelters housing hundreds or people, which basically creates a place to congregate, buy drugs, and be homeless. Provide everyone a place to stay, with food, mental health resources, counseling, job training, etc. For those that want to tent outside, designate a large swath of public land away from residential areas, pedestrian traffic, roads/highways, etc., and have a permanent police presence. But no more tent cities in public places.

Of course that would require lots of money, and people's attitudes toward the homeless are generally "fuck em" so I'm sure that plan wouldn't have a chance of every being resourced. Looks like we're caught between a collective desire to be compassionate progressives vs. an unwillingness to pay to address the problem. Oh well. Guess we're fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have no problem with designated urban camping areas that are free to anyone who obeys the rules (clean up your own mess, no drugs or weapons) and people can stay as long as they like (as long as they are obeying the rules).  They should be large areas but limited to a few spots around town, and be funded enough to have a security presence.  That seems like it could be a small part of an acceptable solution, along with homeless shelters, affordable housing projects, mental health services, substance abuse services, and yes, police/jails.

Allowing folks to just camp anywhere (like under every freeway in the city) and make a total fucking mess is not acceptable, for lots of obvious reasons.  I can’t believe this was actually ever viewed as acceptable, by anyone.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I have no problem with designated urban camping areas that are free to anyone who obeys the rules (clean up your own mess, no drugs or weapons) and people can stay as long as they like (as long as they are obeying the rules).  They should be large areas but limited to a few spots around town, and be funded enough to have a security presence.  That seems like it could be a small part of an acceptable solution, along with homeless shelters, affordable housing projects, mental health services, substance abuse services, and yes, police/jails.

Allowing folks to just camp anywhere (like under every freeway in the city) and make a total fucking mess is not acceptable, for lots of obvious reasons.  I can’t believe this was actually ever viewed as acceptable, by anyone.

It's like everyone involved is dug in to the point where nobody will consider that there is some option between "forcing them to live like hobbits in the woods" and "having them build entire slum towns in the middle of critical infrastructure". 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes, looking at this situation both sides should be able to come together on a plan. Right now in Austin we have a plan that includes no personal responsibility whatsoever by those that are homeless, combined with completely unrealistic housing proposals that exist mostly to create grift.  

And the earlier comment about “oh well no one will fund anything” is just the type of unproductive comment that makes the situation worse. The City is already spending outrageous amounts of money buying hotels at well above market prices. How about before we complain about not having enough money we not waste money we have? 

• Hook 'Em 4