2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yep, that is exactly what you want from your young guys.   If you dont wanna play with us then fuck you.

I guess. But it was a mutual decision. Memphis never really wanted him, and he certainly doesn't fit into their long term plans. They're just wanting to get a couple assets for him from a contending team. Considering his injury history, that means keeping him off the court.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I guess. But it was a mutual decision. Memphis never really wanted him, and he certainly doesn't fit into their long term plans. They're just wanting to get a couple assets for him from a contending team. Considering his injury history, that means keeping him off the court.

If he wanted to play, he would be playing.

3 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I don’t think anyone expected them to compete for a playoff spot, especially the front office. But I’ll bet they would’ve welcomed him in any capacity, even if it’s just to be around the you g guys. So, no? But he’s done something to piss them off and I’m loving it. 

I'm guessing that they'd still much prefer a couple of so-so pieces at the deadline over Iggy playing for them for a couple of months, getting boat-raced by Lakers in the playoffs, then having him sign in LA anyway.

8 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I don’t think anyone expected them to compete for a playoff spot, especially the front office. But I’ll bet they would’ve welcomed him in any capacity, even if it’s just to be around the you g guys. So, no? But he’s done something to piss them off and I’m loving it. 

There is value for a vet being around even if he isn't playing.

That said, I have no problem with the young Grizz calling him out. Iggy knew damn well that the 3rd year of his deal would be a poison pill to the Warriors and any interested teams. But he did his little "I'll take less from Houston if I don't get 3-years" charade anyway (more power to him...it was savvy...just don't complain when you're treated as a salary dump and/or a bad asset). He got his money, but now only wants to play for a championship contender; I can see how that rubs people the wrong way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CBT said:

He better not piss them off too much, they'll wait to cut him after the deadline and no one will be able to pick him up for the playoffs. 

There was a report that Iggy was ready to sit out the entire season.     I'm sure it's a ploy but still.

28 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They’re still paying him, right?  He probably needed to at least be around the team and complex while rehabbing.  I get this was but a train stop but something isn’t right there...

yep, they are and would have to pay him even if they cut him

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Charlotte front office probably isn't one a competent GM wants to emulate. Memphis isn't going to fuck over a respected vet...even one that's being a dick. 

Hollinger did work in the FO in MEM for a while.  He may know something

28 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

LeBron would have a tweet out within the hour about how unfair it is that organizations have that kind of power.

What kind of power?    To cut players at their discretion?     Paying the player is the extent of their obligation

Edited by d2o

21 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

is it fair a player under contract can sit out the season and still be paid?

This too.........although in this instance MEM agreed to the arrangement in the beginning.   They just never thought that they would have as much trouble as they have moving him again.     I'm still not sure why they thought it would be easy though.   No contending team will have 17M open to take on his salary without giving up a key piece to their team.     I'm curious how many would actually be ok giving up a 1st for him but I don't think that is the real sticking point in any potential deal.   The contract is. 

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

What kind of power?    To cut players at their discretion?     Paying the player is the extent of their obligation

If their discretion includes cutting a 3X champion and respected veteran an hour after the playoff eligibility deadline purely out of spite (despite agreeing to the arrangement in the preseason)? And, oh yeah, it would fuck the Lakers? Yeah, LeBron would definitely chime in. Steph too with their relationship. Not a look I'd want as a GM.

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

This too.........although in this instance MEM agreed to the arrangement in the beginning.   They just never thought that they would have as much trouble as they have moving him again.     I'm still not sure why they thought it would be easy though.   No contending team will have 17M open to take on his salary without giving up a key piece to their team.     I'm curious ho many would actually be ok giving up a 1st for him but I don't think that is the real sticking point in any potential deal.   The contract is. 

Exactly. They're freaking out at the idea of losing him for nothing, but they should have known that his value at that price point is poor. Take someone's expiring and a couple 2nd round picks and move on.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Exactly. They're freaking out at the idea of losing him for nothing, but they should have known that his value at that price point is poor. Take someone's expiring and a couple 2nd round picks and move on.

I wouldn't give that for him. At his age and history, there's too much risk and not enough potential reward....or replacement value 

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yep, they got a first to take him in the first place.   Anything else is bonus

18 hours ago, d2o said:

This too.........although in this instance MEM agreed to the arrangement in the beginning.   They just never thought that they would have as much trouble as they have moving him again.     I'm still not sure why they thought it would be easy though.   No contending team will have 17M open to take on his salary without giving up a key piece to their team.     I'm curious how many would actually be ok giving up a 1st for him but I don't think that is the real sticking point in any potential deal.   The contract is. 

I mean did they though? They wanted to move him sure but they also wanted him to show up to camp and be around the team but he refused. Since then he’s been trying to push them into a corner with where they can trade him. I’m generally in favor of player empowerment but this is bullshit from Iggy

49 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I mean did they though? They wanted to move him sure but they also wanted him to show up to camp and be around the team but he refused. Since then he’s been trying to push them into a corner with where they can trade him. I’m generally in favor of player empowerment but this is bullshit from Iggy

Yeah they agreed to it.    They could have fined him if they didn't.    They figured it wouldnt be long before they moved him so it wouldn't be a big deal if he never showed up.  Its most definitely bullshit by Iggy

Are a lot of Lebron types going to Memphis anyway? Who gives a shit what NBA divas think? Sometimes you have to send a message that you will only take so much horseshit. It would be hilarious if Memphis cut him 5 minutes after the playoff deadline if he’s been a horse’s ass all year. 

11 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Are a lot of Lebron types going to Memphis anyway? Who gives a shit what NBA divas think? Sometimes you have to send a message that you will only take so much horseshit. It would be hilarious if Memphis cut him 5 minutes after the playoff deadline if he’s been a horse’s ass all year. 

He hasn't though. The organization has nothing to stand on here. They agreed in the preseason that he wouldn't play and would train away from the team. It served both sides: Iggy stays healthy to maximize his potential trade value, and maybe he winds up on a title contender.

It's only now that Memphis is mildly competitive--and they're realizing that they probably aren't going to get much for him--that they're trying to to change the agreement and get him in the building. Iggy needs to be a professional if a trade doesn't develop, but this is just as much on Memphis.

28 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

He hasn't though. The organization has nothing to stand on here. They agreed in the preseason that he wouldn't play and would train away from the team. It served both sides: Iggy stays healthy to maximize his potential trade value, and maybe he winds up on a title contender.

It's only now that Memphis is mildly competitive--and they're realizing that they probably aren't going to get much for him--that they're trying to to change the agreement and get him in the building. Iggy needs to be a professional if a trade doesn't develop, but this is just as much on Memphis.

This is really the bottom line

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257073/Grizzlies-Wanted-To-Set-New-Organizational-Tone-With-Andre-Iguodala-Situation

The new front office of the Memphis Grizzlies wanted their situation with Andre Iguodala to set an organizational tone and that is why they've resisted buying him out, sources tell Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN.

The Grizzlies have not moved from that position leading to a trade deadline in which they expect to receive an asset in return for Iguodala.

Buyouts have become common in the NBA, but the Grizzlies have opposed to paying 85 percent of Iguodala's salary only for him to play elsewhere.

Iguodala hasn't begrudged the Grizzlies for their position.

"It's never been, 'I don't want to be there,'" Iguodala said. "It's, 'Let's have the conversations in terms of what it looks like going forward. How can I be a value to you? How can you be a value to me? And then how can we make that happen?'"

It’s not the organization, it’s the players. The organization itself is fine with how it’s played out. Ecstatic, I’m sure. They had no intentions of competing this season, and yet here they are. This is strictly a player led attack on Iguodala, because he’s not there. And it’s hilarious. 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Things change, and that was only an agreement to get him traded. Once the deadline passes and he's still on Memphis' roster, he absolutely should be required to show up and play out his contract. If he's unwilling to do that, they should suspend him indefinitely and not pay him a dime. If he wants to sue, then go for it, but anyone with a contract like that had better put forth the effort required to fulfill it or get nothing. 

https://www.phillyvoice.com/sixers-joel-embiid-offensive-identity-al-horford-locker-room-issues-brett-brown-76ers-practice-notes/

"From time-to-time, I got to spend a lot of time at the three-point line just to make sure there's some spacing," Embiid said Wednesday. "Everybody keeps saying, 'Get in the post!' but if you actually understand basketball, you've got to find that balance. It's not about me, it's about the team. Whatever I can do to help my teammates or the spacing, which has been a struggle for us, I got to do it."

"So if it means that I got to stay at the three-point line all game, I guess I got to do it. But at the same time, I got to find ways to still maximize what I do best. But then again, there's also a bad aspect because every team doubles me every single game. It's hard, we're figuring it out, it's hard to find that balance, we still got to keep going."

23 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I love me some Embiid but I’d rather have Simmons to build around. You just can’t count on Embiid to be healthy, or just want to play, when you need him most. I’d rather keep Simmons and go with 5 out like the Bucks.

Same here

Miami thinks they are contenders. They are delusional, but they aren't necessarily wrong, at least as far as the Eastern Conference goes. They've been surprisingly good this year, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them facing Milwaukee in the ECF. 

Annnnd as I'm typing this I see that Winslow is being sent to Memphis as part of the deal. Another head scratcher.