Houston Nostalgia Picture Thread

MaybeACoordinator

19 hours ago, jeevsie said:

Maybe this is the right place to ask....maybe this will get lost.

About 10-12 years ago, we went with some friends to eat at a restaurant "somewhere inside the loop". Beats the hell out of me where because I wasn't driving and there was drinking going on that night.  The restaurant looked like a house but it was a very good meal.  I can't for the life of me remember what it was called to see if it's still open.  Best guess would be Heights/Washington area.  Anyone have any ideas?

I'll hang up and listen.

Zelko is a good guess; I assume Segari's would stick out because it's mainly seafood.  Could be Feast (very farm to table) on lower Westheimer; very highly acclaimed at the time.

7 minutes ago, texasdago said:

That is such a generic question.  Hey, I ate at a place outside the Loop... maybe SW Houston... it was in a strip center. Had great food.  

As a side note, anyone going to hang out at the mall this weekend?

r/houston - Town & Country Mall (early 90’s?)

Is that Town & Country mall? I can't recall what it looked like inside.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, texasdago said:

That is such a generic question.  Hey, I ate at a place outside the Loop... maybe SW Houston... it was in a strip center. Had great food.  

As a side note, anyone going to hang out at the mall this weekend?

r/houston - Town & Country Mall (early 90’s?)

Doesn’t include face/neck tats and box braids. #NotMyGalleria

No pics but Bill Williams Steak and Oyster Bar was a go to whenever we came to Houston back in the 60's.  And went to a Greek club called Bacchanal in 1972 with my girlfriend, her sister and brother in law who was a partner at Arthur Andersen.  Still have  PTSD from that hangover.

Saw someone post this on City-Data (Below)

I loved the Live Bait/World Bait days...

"Here is my recollection of the "evolution" of the last twenty years or so in H-town from a dance club/bar point-of-view: In the early 90's, the 'Richmond Strip" was pretty popular when Sam's Boat, Yucatan Liquor Stand, and then City Streets were in their heyday. Bayou Mama's was also popular out by Gessner/Westheimer. Though not in the same area, places like Lizard Lounge, Power Tools, DV8, 6400, and D2R were crossing over from the 80's for the dance set. Around the mid 90's, with the opening of Cabo on Greenbriar, the nexus of Cabo/Live Bait/8.0 awakened the Greenbriar/Shepherd area as the "it" upscale spot. Other spots sprung up including The Ballroom (beautiful pool club), Q Cafe (the latin crowd lived here), and 2826 (which became Revere and then Peccavi). You also had the Mucky Duck and Mc Elroy's around the corner, and then Davenport and Guava Lamp opened up. These places appear to be the only survivors of this period. While not in that area, Crystal (at Hillcroft/59) made a name for itself during this time with disco and ethnic nights. For those interested in the checking out the shadows of yesterday in a different city, in Fort Worth, 8.0 still exists and Cabo spawned Cabo Grande. Both of these places are in the Sundance Square area. Also, the original 2826 (from Dallas) re-opens on and off again in Deep Ellum. Interestingly, I've been inside the place and it's modeled quite closely to the one in Houston (which is now sadly a car service shop). During this time the Richmond Strip remained quite active, and you had places like Blue Planet, Pete's Wild Life, and Tantra open. Also, random hot spots opened like Roxy and Sempers near Westheimer and Velvet Elvis on Richmond. This time period was especially cool for nightlife since the Houston Rockets won the finals in 1994-1995 and that made for some great times! In the late 90's, downtown got a jumpstart when Jones Bar, Solero (tapas bar), and Spy launched alongside the larger version of Cabo. And then you had Prague (later M Bar), Tonic, The Mercury Room, State Bar, and Dean's near Main/Prairie/Travis. A bunch of bigger "corporate" money places opened: Sambuca, the bar at the Hotel Icon, Flying Saucer, etc.. You also had a slew of places like Hyperia, Club 808, etc. that catered to the electronica club crowd. At the turn of the century, due mostly to street construction, downtown was effectively shut down. The landscaped shifted to Midtown. Midtown benefited from having been designated a TIRZ (basically, a tax shelter for redevelopment) and was sprouting residences (townhomes and apartments) at warp speed so you had a high density of singles. The spots here include(d) Bond Lounge, Escobar, Pub Fiction, Rich's (been there before Midtown was cool), Reef, etc. Since then, there was a changing of the guard from Midtown to the now "it" Washington Avenue. Of some note, the new Uptown area has also progressed as a secondary destination with Belverde and The Tasting Room. Hopefully, for downtown and Midtown, given their strategic locations, they will never truly "die" but rather find a way to reinvent themselves. Throughout all of this were some places that have been around forever. "Institutions" include the Black Lab, Blanco's, Ginger Man, Gallant Knight, Kay's, Marfreless, Marquis, Numbers, Rich's, Roxy, Sam's Boat, and Volcano. Too bad Emo's/Some closed and was converted to residences - that's the way it goes... Of the eras above, I probably enjoyed the Greenbriar/Shepherd one the best followed by the early downtown scene. I liked these the most since they were the most walkable to go from one spot to the next and that made it really easy to go club/bar hopping! Last, not necessarily "nightlife" related, but House of Pies, Katz's, Mai's (she's rebuilding), Tan Tan, and others have been staples of late-night dining. Oh, yeah, and we can't forget La Strada for brunch!!

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/893564-who-remembers-these-places-evolution-houstons-4.html
"

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Since then, there was a changing of the guard from Midtown to the now "it" Washington Avenue. Of some note, the new Uptown area has also progressed as a secondary destination with Belverde and The Tasting Room. Hopefully, for downtown and Midtown, given their strategic locations, they will never truly "die" but rather find a way to reinvent themselves. Throughout all of this were some places that have been around forever. "Institutions" include the Black Lab, Blanco's, Ginger Man, Gallant Knight, Kay's, Marfreless, Marquis, Numbers, Rich's, Roxy, Sam's Boat, and Volcano. Too bad Emo's/Some closed and was converted to residences - that's the way it goes... Of the eras above, I probably enjoyed the Greenbriar/Shepherd one the best followed by the early downtown scene. I liked these the most since they were the most walkable to go from one spot to the next and that made it really easy to go club/bar hopping! Last, not necessarily "nightlife" related, but House of Pies, Katz's, Mai's (she's rebuilding), Tan Tan, and others have been staples of late-night dining. Oh, yeah, and we can't forget La Strada for brunch!!

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/893564-who-remembers-these-places-evolution-houstons-4.html
"

In reality that Pub Fiction/Shot Bar/Wonder Bar group transitioned to Washington Blvd and Sawyer Park/Eight/Kung Fu/Tapps etc.  Some people started coming back to Midtown around the time Dogwood/Red Door opened up, but shortly thereafter that entire crowd has transitioned to the Heights. Places like McIntyre's, Drift Bar, Wicklow Heights, Cottonwood etc.  

Daydrinking seems to be much more popular than late night these days IMO.

i am a huge fan of day drinking, especially at those bars you just mentioned above - i remember the richmond stip (daiquiri factory, holla!) but those bars seems to be more about nightlife, at least every time I remember going out it would be in the evening, can't recall going there during the day to drink - we'd always pregame then go out - but my life has changed so my perception is likely distorted 

On 8/31/2021 at 2:27 PM, texasdago said:

Man, was just talking to my dad about this place.  

Next door was Shanghai Red's 

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/pasadena-news/article/Ship-channel-restaurant-closes-menu-survives-2011708.php

Restaurants viewed from the turning basin in Houston Ship Channel

CSB: When I was in 8th grade my dad was the President of this construction company that had a helicopter.  We took it all around Houston one Sunday and landed it in the parking lot at Shanghai Red's for a lunch break.  This whole crowd came around when we left to take off.  I was sitting into front seat with the pilot, with headphones on thinking I was such a baller.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

"Here is my recollection of the "evolution" of the last twenty years or so in H-town from a dance club/bar point-of-view: In the early 90's, the 'Richmond Strip" was pretty popular when Sam's Boat, Yucatan Liquor Stand, and then City Streets were in their heyday. Bayou Mama's was also popular out by Gessner/Westheimer. Though not in the same area, places like Lizard Lounge, Power Tools, DV8, 6400, and D2R were crossing over from the 80's for the dance set. Around the mid 90's, with the opening of Cabo on Greenbriar, the nexus of Cabo/Live Bait/8.0 awakened the Greenbriar/Shepherd area as the "it" upscale spot. Other spots sprung up including The Ballroom (beautiful pool club), Q Cafe (the latin crowd lived here), and 2826 (which became Revere and then Peccavi). You also had the Mucky Duck and Mc Elroy's around the corner, and then Davenport and Guava Lamp opened up. These places appear to be the only survivors of this period. While not in that area, Crystal (at Hillcroft/59) made a name for itself during this time with disco and ethnic nights. For those interested in the checking out the shadows of yesterday in a different city, in Fort Worth, 8.0 still exists and Cabo spawned Cabo Grande. Both of these places are in the Sundance Square area. Also, the original 2826 (from Dallas) re-opens on and off again in Deep Ellum. Interestingly, I've been inside the place and it's modeled quite closely to the one in Houston (which is now sadly a car service shop). During this time the Richmond Strip remained quite active, and you had places like Blue Planet, Pete's Wild Life, and Tantra open. Also, random hot spots opened like Roxy and Sempers near Westheimer and Velvet Elvis on Richmond. This time period was especially cool for nightlife since the Houston Rockets won the finals in 1994-1995 and that made for some great times! In the late 90's, downtown got a jumpstart when Jones Bar, Solero (tapas bar), and Spy launched alongside the larger version of Cabo. And then you had Prague (later M Bar), Tonic, The Mercury Room, State Bar, and Dean's near Main/Prairie/Travis. A bunch of bigger "corporate" money places opened: Sambuca, the bar at the Hotel Icon, Flying Saucer, etc.. You also had a slew of places like Hyperia, Club 808, etc. that catered to the electronica club crowd. At the turn of the century, due mostly to street construction, downtown was effectively shut down. The landscaped shifted to Midtown. Midtown benefited from having been designated a TIRZ (basically, a tax shelter for redevelopment) and was sprouting residences (townhomes and apartments) at warp speed so you had a high density of singles. The spots here include(d) Bond Lounge, Escobar, Pub Fiction, Rich's (been there before Midtown was cool), Reef, etc. Since then, there was a changing of the guard from Midtown to the now "it" Washington Avenue. Of some note, the new Uptown area has also progressed as a secondary destination with Belverde and The Tasting Room. Hopefully, for downtown and Midtown, given their strategic locations, they will never truly "die" but rather find a way to reinvent themselves. Throughout all of this were some places that have been around forever. "Institutions" include the Black Lab, Blanco's, Ginger Man, Gallant Knight, Kay's, Marfreless, Marquis, Numbers, Rich's, Roxy, Sam's Boat, and Volcano. Too bad Emo's/Some closed and was converted to residences - that's the way it goes... Of the eras above, I probably enjoyed the Greenbriar/Shepherd one the best followed by the early downtown scene. I liked these the most since they were the most walkable to go from one spot to the next and that made it really easy to go club/bar hopping! Last, not necessarily "nightlife" related, but House of Pies, Katz's, Mai's (she's rebuilding), Tan Tan, and others have been staples of late-night dining. Oh, yeah, and we can't forget La Strada for brunch!!

"

And as the years marched by unabated, one place for ugly drunks and uglier hook ups still stands tall..

48612AA7-293C-4B5A-AECB-6AB5EF5EE0C1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, texasdago said:

"

Damn. That was a trip down memory lane. Thanks for posting. 

12 hours ago, texasdago said:

Throughout all of this were some places that have been around forever. "Institutions" include the Black Lab, Blanco's, Ginger Man, Gallant Knight, Kay's, Marfreless, Marquis, Numbers, Rich's, Roxy, Sam's Boat, and Volcano. 

You can cross the bold off the list.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did Owl Bar come back from the dead? Even if it's a zombie version of its former self, I'm still going. Fingers crossed they kept the $2 happy hour you call its. 

I like Sam's Boat, but they do the terribly unsanitary plastic bag full of ice inside your pitcher of beer thing. 

No.  The Owl closed permanently.  I know the owner.  Kirby Ice House took its customer base.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

No.  The Owl closed permanently.  I know the owner.  Kirby Ice House took its customer base.

Yup, they went from the place off Kirby to another one on W. Alabama between Kirby and Shepherd (maybe the old Mission Burrito). I was there on the last night. Went to the new place once, 1836, before I moved almost exactly one year ago and it just didn’t live up.

it was another good bar that died. I fear Kenneallys will be another one to go in the next 5-10 years.

15 minutes ago, mycox said:

Owl Bar is returning to the Rice Village 2424 Dunstan

Yes. Oh yes. Third move though. Let's hope they stay put for a good long while. 

http://www.owlbarhouston.com/

Old Kelvin Arms location. I hate to lose a decent pub, but it's worth it to get Owl Bar back. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

From what I've heard the new Marfreless is nothing like the old one.  Like the Black Swan.  Used to be a dive... now it's "fancy"

Yes it's a lot nicer under the new ownership and the drinks are pretty expensive, but you can still have a good time upstairs

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, WBT said:

ratio3x2_2000.jpg

I'm watching Ken Burns's Ali documentary.  I didn't realize he had lived in Houston so long and had 4 fights in the dome.  His refusal to be inducted into the army also happened in Houston.  

He and my dad both avoided Vietnam in the same building, where decades later my son took his oath of enlistment. 

long story about my dad. He didn’t refuse to go exactly but he got a 4F.