The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

5 hours ago, Goredho said:

@hullabelew if you want P90s at a lower price, I love how these Squier paranormal cabronitas look. Still a semi hollow with P90s, but no bigsby. There are quite a few on Reverb for around $400 new.

thttps://reverb.com/p/squier-paranormal-cabronita-telecaster-thinline

0377020502_fen_ins_frt_1_rr.jpg

those are cool looking. for a p90 tele this was really tempting me for a bit at $1k

cc784533a294a5ed5478c7762dbaa898.png

(jim adkins tele)

not technically a p90 but I think comparable and attractive at $550 is the G&L Tribute ASAT Special

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

those are cool looking. for a p90 tele this was really tempting me for a bit at $1k

cc784533a294a5ed5478c7762dbaa898.png

(jim adkins tele)

not technically a p90 but I think comparable and attractive at $550 is the G&L Tribute ASAT Special

Yeah, red telecasters with black pickguards and rosewood boards have always made me do a double take.  As for G&L, I would consider ASAT bluesboy with a humbucker-sized P90 thrown in the neck slot, which would be an option for any guitar with a humbucker route.

Speaking of, anyone have experience/recommendations with humbucker-sized P90s?   I see Seymore Duncan Phat Cats recommended a lot, but I don't have any experience with them.  I had a Godin with Seymore Duncan P-Rails in it that could be switched between single, humbucker or P90 and they sounded great.  But these Fralin P92s have my interest piqued.  I'm more after the warm/smooth jazz tone here than Mississippi Queen swamp raunch.

16 hours ago, topochico said:

Team P90

IMG_6439.jpeg

I really like the Sire Larry Carlton L7V. Of course you basically have to buy one to try it out, but the cleans are so rich.

PS- Mitch Gallagher loves to repeat himself before launching into a question or comment. He even does one triple comment in this video  

Repeating something can add emphasis while giving the speaker time to gather his/her thoughts, but it’s distractingly regarded in my opinion, it slows my intake of information for no reason. (At least when done in English.)

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yes.  If you want some P90 tones in a well-made T-style guitar at a price lower than $800 -- why not?

OK, I just wanted to confirm you didn't think the Bluesboy had a P90 from the factory.  Mine certainly doesn't, it's a humbucker.  Honestly, I almost always play the Tele bridge pickup -- trying a P90 in the other position isn't a bad idea.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I just wanted to confirm you didn't think the Bluesboy had a P90 from the factory.  Mine certainly doesn't, it's a humbucker.  Honestly, I almost always play the Tele bridge pickup -- trying a P90 in the other position isn't a bad idea.

Yeah, would need to be a humbucker sized P90 at the neck.  Something like this.

Edited by Goredho

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wow, that P-92 sounds great.  I like the bite it has over the humbucker.  (I assume Fralin is being honest in calling their P-90 pickup a "humbucker".)

I think they are two offerings from Fralin for a P90-style pickup with the dimensions of a humbucker.  I kind of dig the sounds of the P-92s as well.

Here's the P90 humbucker https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/hum-cancelling-p-90-humbucker-cover/
Here's the P92 humbucker https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/p92/

Relatedly, I also dig the sound of these mojotone humbucker sized P90s.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So the P-92 is a humbucker.  Yeesh, make it more confusing.

Heh, maybe?  I don't know exactly what this description means:

"Stand out in the mix and cut through with the Lindy Fralin-designed P-92. A full-size humbucker with unique looks, the P-92 is a cleaner, more articulate P-90, with no hum. If you’re looking for the perfect blend of a traditional single-coil and a P90, look no further than this pickup here. Made by hand in Virginia with all USA-Made Parts, we guarantee the P-92 will inspire you for years to come."

Everywhere I look for information describes them as humbucker sized P90s, though.  Like this review.

"If you're looking for a humbucker sized pickup with a P-90 type sound, look no further. I would have missed a great set of pickups had I not stumbled onto these used ones a great price, but I'd buy new in a heartbeat after playing them."

I think @Deej is probably right. It is what it sounds like, and getting too deep in the weeds about whether it is a no shit P90 or a humbucker or something in between doesn't matter if you love the sound.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I think they are two offerings from Fralin for a P90-style pickup with the dimensions of a humbucker.  I kind of dig the sounds of the P-92s as well.

Here's the P90 humbucker https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/hum-cancelling-p-90-humbucker-cover/
Here's the P92 humbucker https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/p92/

Relatedly, I also dig the sound of these mojotone humbucker sized P90s.

The PAF clones I got from Mojotone a month or so ago are dynamite. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Actually, G&L makes a Bluesboy with a P90 from the factory. 

https://reverb.com/item/64097343-g-l-u-s-a-classic-bluesboy-90-2021-jet-black-muscle-shoals-al

• Like 1

NGD with what those last two guitars I sold helped fund — a 1993 Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean.  Kind of the bastard offspring of an ES-335 and a Gretsch.  It has the same body dimensions, center block and humbuckers of a 335, but departs from that with a 25.5” scale length, 1 3/4” nut width, it’s single cut and Gretsch-like controls — master volume, master tone and an individual volume control for each pickup.  I am hoping it’s the answer to my 25.5” long scale electric spanglish quest.  I’ve got 30 days to return it while making up my mind.

F4FDCFC6-680D-4350-8940-A294441FAAEA.jpeg

02E6B94C-E445-48DF-A097-229EC0909EEC.jpeg

A89A70AE-C6C2-4E4E-83E8-16D2D1860DA5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

NGD with what those last two guitars I sold helped fund — a 1993 Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean.  Kind of the bastard offspring of an ES-335 and a Gretsch.  It has the same body dimensions, center block and humbuckers of a 335, but departs from that with a 25.5” scale length, 1 3/4” nut width, it’s single cut and Gretsch-like controls — master volume, master tone and an individual volume control for each pickup.  I am hoping it’s the answer to my 25.5” long scale electric spanglish quest.  I’ve got 30 days to return it while making up my mind.

F4FDCFC6-680D-4350-8940-A294441FAAEA.thumb.jpeg.587f0b40991aef04f705bc83cbcf9e16.jpeg
02E6B94C-E445-48DF-A097-229EC0909EEC.thumb.jpeg.49dd29954019a1523c92d44b2c9d7def.jpeg
A89A70AE-C6C2-4E4E-83E8-16D2D1860DA5.thumb.jpeg.da8bceff80ad29f74114043577d28e36.jpeg
No offense, but as a Gretsch guy, I've always felt these Gibson Chet Atkins are just wrong! Like if Fender made their own version of a Les Paul.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
21 minutes ago, Goredho said:

F4FDCFC6-680D-4350-8940-A294441FAAEA.thumb.jpeg.587f0b40991aef04f705bc83cbcf9e16.jpeg
02E6B94C-E445-48DF-A097-229EC0909EEC.thumb.jpeg.49dd29954019a1523c92d44b2c9d7def.jpeg
A89A70AE-C6C2-4E4E-83E8-16D2D1860DA5.thumb.jpeg.da8bceff80ad29f74114043577d28e36.jpeg

No offense, but as a Gretsch guy, I've always felt these Gibson Chet Atkins are just wrong! Like if Fender made their own version of a Les Paul.

I can understand viewing it as an OG Silver Sky.  No offense taken here :).  It just has to please me and be what I'm looking for.  Early signs are good.  A few set up tweaks and its already playing really good.  Have yet to plug it in, though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Like if Fender made their own version of a Les Paul.

About that . . .

JH-90_89c21f6d-4007-4c07-adfa-e7641f02f5

I mean, I get that it's sort of apples to oranges.  But telecasters and LPs can get pretty close to one another.  Double HB teles get even closer.  And then there's the control layout.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dcbc said:

About that . . .

I mean, I get that it's sort of apples to oranges.  But telecasters and LPs can get pretty close to one another.  Double HB teles get even closer.  And then there's the control layout.

You can even get one with a set neck!

https://www.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/special-edition-custom-telecaster-fmt-hh/0262004520.html

s-l1600.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

About that . . .

Except the headstock on the Fender won't break for looking at it funny.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Goredho said:

And that IS a funny looking headstock.

The 70s were a wild time.

35 minutes ago, Deej said:

If your boat engine dies, you can use it to beat away alligators before paddling back to shore. 

But this was its intended purpose (and that's just the ordinary tele headstock).

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 3

Nothing beats the one on the Starcaster though.  You could take apart a whole chicken with that thing.

681426_orig.jpg

Goes back to internet.  Damn!  Squier Starcasters are $429.  If I didn't have way better hollowbodies already, I'd be tempted.  They look good. 

Edit:  Shit.  Sweetwater has the Squier Affinity version for $259.  That thing must clunk like crazy (see below).

Now, having said that, a friend of mine's kid bought one of the Fender reissues a few years back and I found it to be kind of heavy and clunky, which probably means it's a "Masterbuilt" guitar because those things were heavy and clunky.

Edited by dcbc