The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

12 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Now for something completely different. I decided to treat myself for my birthday/Christmas. 2000 54 LP Custom reissue with the staple neck pup. Been looking for a while but I made a lowball offer and the guy accepted so what is a guy to do? I think I have a new house favorite.

46ed2fbf896c5823299d491640eb15c3.jpg

One with the stablemates.
907f2fd5ad4e51b120ef1fd8b9c38c57.jpg
The neck is somewhere between the baseball bat of the R6 and R8 and the fairly skinny profile of my 82 LP Custom. Fits like a glove. Haven’t done a lot of overdriven tones as I just got this evening and I don’t want to wake the neighbors. But it does clean real nice.

Now if I just had more time to play it.

looks like you're out of room and need to unload that goldtop.  i could do you the favor.

7 minutes ago, sidis said:

looks like you're out of room and need to unload that goldtop.  i could do you the favor.

I've thought about it, but that is forever known in our household as the "free baby guitar" so I can't let go of it.  I'm sure I've told the story, but since I'm old, imma tell it again.  The day of Mrs. F's baby shower, a friend called me up and said, "Hey, you want to go check out this guitar shop up in Lewisville that's going out of business?"  You know the answer.  I asked my wife, "How much is this baby going to cost?"  She said the deductible has been met this year.  Won't cost us a thing.  So turns out the first shop was picked clean, but the R6 was hanging on the wall at the local GC and they were trying to get rid of it as it had been there for a while.  I was their man.  

The R8 I'm pondering on.  I'm about to head out on travel, but if anyone wants a solid R8 that has grovers now and better than original (though I didn't do the replacing) pups, let me know come mid Jan.  The neck is just a hair thick for my tiny mitts.  So if I could find a thinner r9/r0 with the same basic look/sound, I'd swap. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

23 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I've thought about it, but that is forever known in our household as the "free baby guitar" so I can't let go of it.  I'm sure I've told the story, but since I'm old, imma tell it again.  The day of Mrs. F's baby shower, a friend called me up and said, "Hey, you want to go check out this guitar shop up in Lewisville that's going out of business?"  You know the answer.  I asked my wife, "How much is this baby going to cost?"  She said the deductible has been met this year.  Won't cost us a thing.  So turns out the first shop was picked clean, but the R6 was hanging on the wall at the local GC and they were trying to get rid of it as it had been there for a while.  I was their man.  

The R8 I'm pondering on.  I'm about to head out on travel, but if anyone wants a solid R8 that has grovers now and better than original (though I didn't do the replacing) pups, let me know come mid Jan.  The neck is just a hair thick for my tiny mitts.  So if I could find a thinner r9/r0 with the same basic look/sound, I'd swap. 

i would be happy to sentimentally recall how you and mrs. fuck did not have any deductible obligations when your kid was born so you spent it at guitar center instead every time i pick it up to play as well. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What mesa is that? Lonestar, Electrodyne, Royal Atlantic?

Lonestar.  I love playing it at home, but when I've played it out I haven't been able to really bond with it.  I feel like it doesn't keep up with my buddy's Twin.  That said, it may be too much amp for me.  I haven't really had time to go through the manual to really understand all its glorious bells and whistles.  I've since bought an old Vibrolux and that kind of hits that 1x12 sweet spot for me.   It's a simpler machine, like its operator.  

I'm pondering parting with it, so if you know anyone who may want it, I'm willing to make a deal.  It's in great shape.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Could cross post in the cool pics thread but seems particularly relevant lately:
5a4bd8fa6e0d3d67963d50aaa1755513.jpeg

I’m fairly certain that I used to play 4v4 or 5v5 soccer with pop-up goals 🥅 with the guy in the red circle back in 2006.

image.jpeg.1438ef35eba698ea030aa953ef643c85.jpeg

He had a big guy and was the elder statesman, so he always got to play striker for his side and never had to run to retrieve the ball after he would rifle a ball over the fence.

Nice guy.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You played soccer with Steve Jones?

A lot from summer of 2006 to roughly January 2007.

Barefoot. Occasionally coed..,

An incoming UCLA girls’ soccer transfer started talking to Jonesy at a Chelsea summer training event and the next thing you know, she’s showing up to play a bunch too. Barefoot. And she’s on a scholarship. Her coach would have shit.

Then she starts bringing some of her friends. Broken toes could have happened any time.

Flea showed up one week night in the fall. I walked in the gate, like usual. Walked around to the back of the house to enter that way and when I got to the kitchen, Woody (Harrelson) was there as usual, can’t remember if Jonesy played that night (he was usually a Saturday afternoon guy), and then there’s Flea saying “Hi, I’m Flea.”

When I would run down the names of the people who played over the last few gatherings, my brother would comment that it sounded like an episode of “Entourage”.

NOTE: I’m not famous.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This was in someone's back yard?  Hope it was a big back yard.

Someone bought the house next door, tore it down, and made a yard out of the lot.

We were playing barefoot.

The field was not 110 yards long, it wasn’t 55 yards long, it was more like 25-35 yards long with those pop-up goals that are about 3 1/2 feet tall. 

Someone bought the house next door, tore it down, and made a yard out of the lot.
We were playing barefoot.
The field was not 110 yards long, it wasn’t 55 yards long, it was more like 25-35 yards long with those pop-up goals that are about 3 1/2 feet tall. 

So grownups playing on a toddler field?
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So grownups playing on a toddler field?

When World Cup champion Frank Leboeuf was there with his family one Saturday, he did not participate.

If was beach soccer without the sand. (Well, the beach was about 20 to 22 blocks away.)

Just friends and acquaintances having fun. No uniforms, no refs, just a gathering once or twice a week at someone’s house. The rosters consisted of whomever was available and was quick to respond… which is why I never turned down an invite. I didn’t want to be moved to the “backup option” column.

Then I went to Ireland for about two weeks in February of 2007 and then went down to Buenos Aires for a couple of months in March, that turned into 8 months in 2007 followed by a more permanent move in February of 2008 that lasted until September of 2014.

The soccer consisted of no one famous from 2 to 7 different countries when I’d play in Argentina. (On a rented 5v5 field, not barefoot in a yard.)

WARNING: No guitars were played at these events. (Sorry)

• Like 1

Every guitar I've ever picked up

Whenever I hear Gretsch, I think of this guy...
960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

This one time I hung out with AUTF and played one of his Gretsches and then we went and saw this guy live at a cool place in San Francisco that isn’t there any more. So in summary Gretsches are cool.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Hooked my nephew up IMG_6377.thumb.jpeg.3960af08779f82a89268f6572dbc9408.jpeg

Lefty?!?

Dooming the kid to limited guitar options for the rest of his life… probably saving him 10s of thousands of dollars.

Buen tío.

PS- The woods on that guitar are beautiful.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I got a Taylor guitars hat 1b29cf80b3b14f78c5f959d90c654c4d.jpg

Much easier to get on a plane. 
👍

Edited by Napoleon

This arrived Christmas Eve and I’m really happy with it for a $250 guitar. Relief, action and intonation needed tweaking, and it plays great after that.  These pickups sound pretty good, bright and twangy like you’d expect.  I’m gonna keep it and not sure I’m going to modify it more than a fret polish and nut work to eliminate note sharpness on the first couple frets.

IMG_3922.thumb.jpeg.83347b083ccedfa1f918dd0316b3cd8e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Goredho said:

This arrived Christmas Eve and I’m really happy with it for a $250 guitar. Relief, action and intonation needed tweaking, and it plays great after that.  These pickups sound pretty good, bright and twangy like you’d expect.  I’m gonna keep it 

lulz.  Good one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dad band is tracking some stuff . . . at this point I'm fairly disinterested in my prior old school or bust approach.  I love my 2 electrics and my 2 amps, but there might be more out there in terms of tone.

Any recs for how I might go direct and use convolution or other samples to simulate other amps, etc. within Reaper?

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dad band is tracking some stuff . . . at this point I'm fairly disinterested in my prior old school or bust approach.  I love my 2 electrics and my 2 amps, but there might be more out there in terms of tone.

Any recs for how I might go direct and use convolution or other samples to simulate other amps, etc. within Reaper?

Tonex CS as a VST plug-in is free for some great amp tones.  Start there if you just want to dip your toes in the water.

With the paid version of Tonex plus Amplitude, you could make any signal chain imaginable in terms of a pedal board/amp combination.

Also really digging the universal audio amp plugins, but you need to use a UA Apollo interface to get all its features.  I do, so I don’t know what you might “lose” using another interface.  They have a 2 week trial for each amp plugin, though, so you can try before you buy.  All the guitar in my last 3 clips in the “Share Your Music” thread are using the Friedman Buxom Betty, Suhr SE100 or Diezel VH4 UA amp plugins.

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/guitar-bass.html

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

I'll put it through it's paces once I get home. I almost pulled the trigger on the 50's with the bucker and the maple neck, but then I saw the 60's in shell pink with the same configuration and it was a no-brainer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I'll put it through it's paces once I get home. I almost pulled the trigger on the 50's with the bucker and the maple neck, but then I saw the 60's in shell pink with the same configuration and it was a no-brainer. 

Roasted?