The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

13 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:
Exactly, would that be the Eric Clapton who was known first for his Gibson Les Paul tone and then equally well or better as a Strat guy starting with the Dominos? That Clapton?
As for Page playing only one guitar at a time:

ee490dd45df0f4083cdf5af347d4d2b0--james-patrick-jimmy-page.jpg

Still counts as one...

As does this...

.02405758d231268c83e41067bb5d05aa.jpg

Edited by Deej

Based on my limited experience, both the Hummingbird and J200 are great "strummers", but the latter can bury a weaker singer.  The Hummingbird is a bit more mellow and also easier to play.  The J200 is a monster -- bright, loud, powerful.

So, how strong a singer are you, or how strong are the singers you will play with?  The J200 is like a Lamborghini, the Hummingbird like a Porsche 911.  Both valid, both wonderful, different tools for different jobs.

And this is somewhat tempting.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13134277-gretsch-g5622t-electromatic-center-block-double-cutaway-electric-guitar-with-bigsby-550-each-free-s-h?src=frontpage

Gretsch G5622T Electromatic Center Block Electric Guitar w/ Bigsby

$550
$1,249.00
+ Free Shipping
+17 Deal Score
9,185 Views 9 Comments
Adorama.com has Gretsch G5622T Electromatic Center Block Double Cutaway Electric Guitar w/ Bigsby on sale for $549.99 w/ coupon code SUMMERFUN. Shipping is free. Thanks iconian

gr2509300506.jpg

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

Looking for a wireless solution for guitar. Both for around the house and also at practice. Looking at the Nady U-1100..... But someone had another setup they really liked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013AVGMXY/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wirerealm-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B013AVGMXY&linkId=bd930d42b9187035182978b214be00a9

Line 6 g10s

Our bass player and other guitar player use them. They swear by them. Unobtrusive and easy to charge. I’m going to get one when I get around to it.
Looks a lot easier than dealing with a big receiver. Like that the receiver is on your pedal board and can be powered from there. Think I'll go that route.

That black 5422T has been kind of mildly haunting me this week. If it came with even a good gig bag I probably would have bought it by now. I don't wanna have to throw down another buck and a half for a case when I'm already short of gig bags for my guitars.

But dang, that new price is lower than most used prices for that guitar.

I dont know where else to put this, but as of last night we have a new Rock and Roll band! A little over a year ago I started writing original music, mostly unplugged, on a chair in my new apartment. Now we have all the pieces in place and our 1st show is being booked for late summer. Last night was the 1st full practice with everybody and we stayed 2 hrs late having fun. I couldn't be more stoked.

BTW, I have a whole new appreciation for the guys who sing and play. As the stand in singer for the last 6 months, I cant tell you how liberating it is to be able to focus on playing guitar and listening to everybody else without having to worry about reciting lyrics.

fc1cef4b5a549aee906cdcddd0b2ad2a.jpg

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I dont know where else to put this, but as of last night we have a new Rock and Roll band! 

Let's have some details . . . style of music, basic lineup, etc.

For me my life is just a little less vibrant if I'm not getting together with my buds in a band every week or two.  It's all to easy to say "I'm too old", but that's never true unless you let it be.  I think it's probably not all that different than a softball league or hunting with friends or a book club or whatever it is that gets people together regularly.  Good deal for you, can't wait to hear some rehearsal tapes <ahem>!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's have some details . . . style of music, basic lineup, etc.

For me my life is just a little less vibrant if I'm not getting together with my buds in a band every week or two.  It's all to easy to say "I'm too old", but that's never true unless you let it be.  I think it's probably not all that different than a softball league or hunting with friends or a book club or whatever it is that gets people together regularly.  Good deal for you, can't wait to hear some rehearsal tapes <ahem>!

This.  Going to practice tonight.  Playing the street dance for a rodeo next Tuesday.  

• Like 1

Thanks JJ. I never know how to describe it other than a Rock and Roll band. It's pretty riffy and straightforward. I would say electric Niel Young, GoGos, Ramones, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, etc. Last night was the 1st night we went through all the songs with the new singer and he's still working on it, but I'll share some music soon. Foggy and BoomMF have heard a little.

Funny thing, we were looking for a girl singer, we found an incredible musician. His passion is bass, but he plays drums better than our drummer and guitar better than me. So, aside from singing he brings a lot to the table musically. Plus he's a young, energetic, good looking guy for us to put out front alongside Jessica, who looks cool as hell herself. Last week he filled in on bass while she was out and it was so much fun. We ended up just jamming on old Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, KISS, etc riffs until late in the night. I'm coming to Texas for a couple weeks next month and it's good to have someone who can fill in on guitar for me while I'm away to keep the momentum.

Oh, and that Les Paul into the 50w Plexi sounds like heaven. The singer loves my Telecaster into the Super Reverb, so we may end up with 2 guitars on some songs. I've always wanted a 2nd guitar or a keyboard to fill out some of the songs, now I dont have to find somebody else plus I dont them have to have it on all the songs, some of them work better stripped down.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

Over and under: Cheapest sold guitar at the Gilmour action?

Haven't looked at the inventory. There's gotta be a cheap piece of crap in there somewhere that will go for around 75K.

Nailed it.  That steel may be close.  If it wasn't Gilmour's I doubt you could get much over $1k for it.

this thread seems rather apropos.  went to play it loud exhibit at the met on monday while wife was with friends...  it was pretty kickass.  guess the guitar without cheating...

YPXZ8Ja6Z3JBkYsEM5OH-CWBNNu04zf78rinZWtd

2a and 2b.

sZn7lOp5GNbDBbK5gtF4BFQ3k41XuWv4Q29Clcul

R-LntKyRACQp2VmLGiGqKSCU7YpdYz7_Qk1ZA1iN

7h2U5mL5yG1Ik_EFO9IjXw_DZR-pGwyhvi9RiEj2

McUpYqfS3wGIGqmH3BufoPPZ4K-RFqPpvgd719lu

O-ew18btnd5PkN8t1RCCPhk0VxtZuvROnJXi-aQ1'

ajh58QLZcDb--OYjSFohxFX3Eg-oyphPunP7viMF

8a and 8b.

yA4wNU8yDtOunT10Gu8XCe_2dmWgDJSvRLRBmUy_

4-Y6OhoSqKXlWiAGwxOKrTvpObjX2DG7IkRQfHIS

yG-z9fkrSkJOyEsub18mkVjMFIV4sWk8SsCUiZK7

KuyS0ryPfKj9eP2oBvLuPo-S1AQIV-dt2VRIY5v-

9SSnjVpNqBkSLEreFtGy35b1PV6gkZs-eo1ivGmX

jmjygNRwN0Yy_Ie82R6MmXX7rtCv94HAN-0rVOmy

14a and 14b.

Ij6Qsbsf2yGBJ3z7w-ujoZgwiaZ_Z7GupqLilX9n

15a and 15b.

uE2XKuzbJBvG5Z6taH-sgFWjNBICOt_RbTMXHkgt

Pxkz-tYpf-mNITFSr3wnhQWU1_FLVQtQx4mmEeGf

W8YkN6JroOiBGRU2x3zOZrBpkkApzlLOooRJEFa6

kEMYU_roeq6WrTj41gL153Aa8ZBJZCEvt90mGqtg

sStPC5T_6RtG9mGxODvp99LCmr1UnEp4N4fBQiv-

20a and 20b.

uyST3iD176CywzG84UmB7iT_o78kHxqP605R3vcO

GCetJNa5kF8a8t576ovgxtsvQnFAzV_a0Y0qn7FK

79JBeZO3MqJlWbREzhI7zIG8cxdm-n2xaZLT79QV

5 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Figured that would be the grand finale.  After that Strat 0001 sold for 1.8MM, I was thinking MAYBE 2.6 MM or so for the Black Strat, I was way off.  (Puts checkbook away...)

That is some wild, wacky stuff.

I just have to wonder if it will matter once the boomers die off.  Like if kids will give shit.  But then I see Rodrigo & Gabriela covering "Echoes" and some of those cover bands on YouTube and I'm like, "Maybe..."

That is some wild, wacky stuff.
I just have to wonder if it will matter once the boomers die off.  Like if kids will give shit.  But then I see Rodrigo & Gabriela covering "Echoes" and some of those cover bands on YouTube and I'm like, "Maybe..."
I often wonder the same thing Chad, with classic cars too.
  • Like 1

There's the old chestnut about the number of vintage guitars that were bought up by Japanese investors years ago that no one has seen since. It's a bit sad. It'd be nice to see them in competent playing hands. As much as I dislike Joe B., at least you know he has a proper appreciation of all those guitars he bought. 

On 6/15/2019 at 6:00 PM, DougO said:

And this is somewhat tempting.

I just bought a 5420t. I suck as a player.  I'll just toss that out there right off.  But I can comment on build to a degree.  The factory strings wouldn't stay in tune at all. I replaced them with #10 flat wound D'Addarios.  There was a plating problem with the chrome on my front pickup volume knob. Gretsch sent a new one quickly.

But on the left side, where the head stock meets the neck, the binding was sanded through to bare wood then the polyurethane was applied and the guitar was finished and shipped out like that. I don't think anything would be done about that.  Nobody will ever see it.  But I do.