The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I often wonder the same thing Chad, with classic cars too.

That’s exactly what I think about classic cars all the time, considering I have one that really belongs to a generation before me. But guys like me enjoy toying with them. On the other hand, that thread isn’t as long it varied in participation as this thread.
  • Like 1

Bunch of gear that will likely never be played again in any useful situation. Sad, really.

George Washington’s axe will never cut down anymore cherry trees. But it’s still George Washington’s axe.

Gilmour would be the first to tell you that there are people out there creating on their own axes right now. The world of guitar players was never going to miss these. Hell, they may serve more as inspirational pieces in a museum somewhere at this point.
  • Like 1

I just bought a 5420t. I suck as a player.  I'll just toss that out there right off.  But I can comment on build to a degree.  The factory strings wouldn't stay in tune at all. I replaced them with #10 flat wound D'Addarios.  There was a plating problem with the chrome on my front pickup volume knob. Gretsch sent a new one quickly.

But on the left side, where the head stock meets the neck, the binding was sanded through to bare wood then the polyurethane was applied and the guitar was finished and shipped out like that. I don't think anything would be done about that.  Nobody will ever see it.  But I do.

Those generally need some work from the factory. Plenty of stuff on www. First will be to replace the factory nut with a bone one. The factory ones are shit. A lot of people glue down the floating bridge as well. Most also suggest putting a roller bridge to help the Bigsby.

All are pretty cheap fixes.

Then, when you get better, swap out the Blacktop Filtertrons for some TV Jones... And it's off you go.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah, it's been long expected Page's #1 will set the record when the time comes. 

I don't follow this stuff all that much . . . what would be today's expected auction prices for Clapton's "Blackie" (~ $1M in 2005), Jimi Hendrix' Woodstock Strat (~ $1.2M late 90's), Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Number One" Strat, Angus Young's iconic Gibson SG, Chuck Berry's Gibson 335???

I gotta believe the Clapton, Hendrix and SRV guitars would also top Gilmour's auction price.

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't follow this stuff all that much . . . what would be today's expected auction prices for Clapton's "Blackie" (~ $1M in 2005), Jimi Hendrix' Woodstock Strat (~ $1.2M late 90's), Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Number One" Strat, Angus Young's iconic Gibson SG, Chuck Berry's Gibson 335???

I gotta believe the Clapton, Hendrix and SRV guitars would also top Gilmour's auction price.

Page also has in his favor a 59 burst. Not a lot of those around. I think the number made in 59 was 643. 

https://www.gearnews.com/david-gilmours-guitars-shatter-records-at-auction-in-new-york/

Jim Irsay the Indianapolis Colts owner picked up three items at the David Gilmour Guitar Collection auction at Christie’s New York salesroom. Turns out he is a huge Pink Floyd fan and so he bought not one, but three items at the auction. Spending a total of $5.245 million on the lot!'

A 1969 black Fender Stratocaster known as “The Black Strat” for $3.975 million.

A 1969 Martin D-35 acoustic guitar for $1.095 million. (used to write Wish You Were Here)

The travel case used for “The Black Strat” for $175,000.

• Like 1

Here it is, a sampling of what we've been working on.

A year ago this month I started writing songs on my couch, mostly unplugged. Pretty soon I had a cool ass bass player coming over once a week to work on them with me. Then a drummer we were considering found a studio we could afford, so we hired him and moved production to there. Now we have a singer and a complete Rock and Roll band, so it really starts now.

Listen to 6-19-19 By myself.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to 6-19-19 goodbye.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to 6-19-19 Mediocre.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to 6-19-19 paralyzed.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to 6-19-19 waiting goodbye.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

I should note that Mediocre's lyrics were written by her. The rest by me. There are a few others not as far along. Hopefully we'll be playing live by September and working on a record by Thanksgiving.

Now to name it.
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, hullabelew said:

A lot of people glue down the floating bridge as well. Most also suggest putting a roller bridge to help the Bigsby.

Was going to replace the nut and saddle when I have the setup done. That is after I get my acoustic back.

As far as the bridge, my bridge is pinned.  Why would I glue a secured bridge?  I'm not being a cunt.  I am honestly asking.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, hullabelew said:

Looking for a wireless solution for guitar. Both for around the house and also at practice. Looking at the Nady U-1100..... But someone had another setup they really liked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013AVGMXY/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wirerealm-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B013AVGMXY&linkId=bd930d42b9187035182978b214be00a9

Saw this as a Facebook ad and thought about your post. Not a rec, obviously. 

https://amposo.com/products/wirelesssystem?fbclid=IwAR0qDQhFJrQYjgUXrZeyapfzhGQ0UlbO9D5SvXQkc-qxyNWKsevvVl4dubM

Just so you fuckers know I haven't given up already.  A couple of vacations are getting in the way but I'm still learning.  As a diversion from chords, finger exercises, scales, etc. I'm working on learning Wish You Were Here which at or near the top of the list of songs that I love.  Perhaps one day I'll master it and dub both parts together and post it.  Don't hold you breath.  It will take quite a while. 

The Taylor 317E is sounding better and better and I'm noticing on some guitar forums that people are loving the Grand Pacific guitars so it would seem that I made a good choice.  I love the resonance of the guitar.  It just sounds good on that rare occasion when I put a few notes together properly.  Learning guitar is the definition of it's a marathon not a sprint.

• Like 2

AUTF I’ll get back to your stuff shortly. But first I wanna say: if I won one of those $100M+ lottery prizes you best believe I’d be raiding those collector auctions. I don’t care about Ferraris and yachts and whatnot but I’d love to create a museum of the great guitars and amps (and be able to play them myself whenever I want). Like a new branch of the Smithsonian.

Thank thank you both. It's still a work in progress getting it tight, but it's a lot of fun working on it. We had a very good practice yesterday. It will come together.

Buzz, base sound is the Les Paul on neck pickup into slight compression, chorus, delay, and reverb into the 50w Plexi jumpered for both channels. For leads I usually add some Shaggy Screamer and flip to bridge pickup, but I think I'm too bright. I've been rolling the tone off from the guitars pot, but still finding it. For the song Waiting I use a Big Muff for the heavy parts and an Octavizer on some or the scale run stuff.

Like I said, it's all a work in progress. It is incredible to hear all these little ideas I had sitting around my apartment grow into full songs. I cant wait till they are finished.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

Man it is.  Chalk this under one of those songs I never thought to learn

shit, I want that guitar.  xposting to Guitar Pron....

I was posting in the guitar playing thread about this guys YouTube page which I really like (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCS78UpWHrkHhS2-2oX6ag/videos?disable_polymer=1)

then I was thinking that that's a really cool little budget looking guitar he's playing, but it sounds too nice (maybe got a good one and had it set up well?).  little sleuthing and...

https://www.waterlooguitars.com/wl-14-boot-burst/

how have I not heard of Waterloo Guitars?  Made by Collings in Austin, inspired by vintage guitars of that design.  Not a budget brand (from what I can tell) but lower price point than regular Collings.  For as much as I love my little body Martin, and I've always kinda liked the idea of having a Collings (but not enough to pay the entry fee), I could actually see this being a guitar I go out and get the next time I have a nice bonus or some such thing

https://www.austinvintageguitars.com/store#!/2019-Waterloo-WL-14X-“Boot-Burst”-2996/p/134264950

actually I want to go play this one.  no idea what a 12 fret would even feel like

https://www.austinvintageguitars.com/store#!/2018-Waterloo-WL-12/p/114392007

889456250.jpg

shit...

889456280.jpg

• Like 3

AUTF -  guitar doesn't necessarily sound too bright to me, but if you're listening to the recordings and obsessing over the sound from that I wouldn't.  I can maybe hear it if you're talking about the leads, but it sounds like you guys mic'd up a room and recorded (and sounds great for that), which isn't necessarily representative of how it would come across in a bigger louder room.  Listened again, sounds good.  Can definitely hear some of the stuff you've been working through.  Jealous there myself, as I've never really been a lyrics guy and would love it if I could tap into some of my stuff instead of just... going on a Jason Isbell thing.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 5:54 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

Here it is, a sampling of what we've been working on.

A year ago this month I started writing songs on my couch, mostly unplugged. Pretty soon I had a cool ass bass player coming over once a week to work on them with me. Then a drummer we were considering found a studio we could afford, so we hired him and moved production to there. Now we have a singer and a complete Rock and Roll band, so it really starts now.

Listen to 6-19-19 By myself.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to 6-19-19 goodbye.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to 6-19-19 Mediocre.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to 6-19-19 paralyzed.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to 6-19-19 waiting goodbye.m4a by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

I should note that Mediocre's lyrics were written by her. The rest by me. There are a few others not as far along. Hopefully we'll be playing live by September and working on a record by Thanksgiving.

Now to name it.

..envious. Good work AUTF

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 9:58 PM, Celery Man said:

I was posting in the guitar playing thread about this guys YouTube page which I really like (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCS78UpWHrkHhS2-2oX6ag/videos?disable_polymer=1)

then I was thinking that that's a really cool little budget looking guitar he's playing, but it sounds too nice (maybe got a good one and had it set up well?).  little sleuthing and...

https://www.waterlooguitars.com/wl-14-boot-burst/

how have I not heard of Waterloo Guitars?  Made by Collings in Austin, inspired by vintage guitars of that design.  Not a budget brand (from what I can tell) but lower price point than regular Collings.  For as much as I love my little body Martin, and I've always kinda liked the idea of having a Collings (but not enough to pay the entry fee), I could actually see this being a guitar I go out and get the next time I have a nice bonus or some such thing

https://www.austinvintageguitars.com/store#!/2019-Waterloo-WL-14X-“Boot-Burst”-2996/p/134264950

actually I want to go play this one.  no idea what a 12 fret would even feel like

https://www.austinvintageguitars.com/store#!/2018-Waterloo-WL-12/p/114392007

889456250.jpg

shit...

889456280.jpg

Lukas Nelson is a fan.

What’s wrong with PF?

That Stones jam above is tasty. Fender is tempting me lately. I still don’t have a proper SSS Strat, but the Sixty-Six and that Jazzmaster are talking to me.

I need to take the pick guard off my HH Strat and see how it’s routed. Changing it to a HSS might satisfy my single coil urge.

The first $500-1k you spend over the MIM strat you're paying for better components and quality control.  Which may translate into some functional stuff (better tuners) and some cosmetic stuff (wood) and some quality stuff (the guitar stays put together for decades with minimal maintenance).

Above that I would assume you're paying for getting exactly the strat that you wat.  I could envision a world in which I bought a custom shop Fender.  If I did that, it would be because I was getting exactly the color, neck profile, pickups, finish, etc that I wanted.

26 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

The first $500-1k you spend over the MIM strat you're paying for better components and quality control.  Which may translate into some functional stuff (better tuners) and some cosmetic stuff (wood) and some quality stuff (the guitar stays put together for decades with minimal maintenance).

Above that I would assume you're paying for getting exactly the strat that you wat.  I could envision a world in which I bought a custom shop Fender.  If I did that, it would be because I was getting exactly the color, neck profile, pickups, finish, etc that I wanted.

This is exactly the reasoning that leads me to build my own guitars from aftermarket parts.  I have zero doubt I can hit Custom Shop quality at well less than half the price, and that includes a luthier (which I am not) to set the damn thing up. 

If you're looking for your dream tool, and have no interest in resale, there is no good financial or aesthetic reason to buy from Fender.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is exactly the reasoning that leads me to build my own guitars from aftermarket parts.  I have zero doubt I can hit Custom Shop quality at well less than half the price, and that includes a luthier (which I am not) to set the damn thing up. 

If you're looking for your dream tool, and have no interest in resale, there is no good financial or aesthetic reason to buy from Fender.

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

So you buy the body where?  Do you buy the base Fender and have it modded?  This is interesting although it's a long way out for me.

I'm a big fan of Warmoth for the body and (especially) the neck.  After that, it's a smorgasbord of options for everything else.  I'm a fan of Sigler Music because they offer pre-loaded pickguards of almost every imaginable configuration, which means maybe one solder joint left to make (output jack).  Warmoth, Allparts, etc. all sell tons of tuners, bridges, tremolos, pickups, knobs, whatever.  If anyone needs help walking through the process I'll be happy to oblige.

Counterpoint: Celery is right on the first $500-1k over MIM. The upshot of what he mentions is that they will stay in tune, play better, and stay setup up better. Another way to achieve custom shop quality is to buy good Am Std (whatever they call that now) and take it to a good tech guy and get the neck planed and frets set perfectly true. Then set up exactly the way you like it. I’ve done this on both my strat and tele and I’d put them up against any custom shop guitar anywhere playability wise. Cost about $500 each.

21 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

You have to realize that FedEx and UPS drivers recognize guitar boxes and always wait till the end of the day just to fuck with us.

Or maybe they are being nice and trying to maximize the chance you made it home from work.

(No, they're fucking with you.)

• Like 1

For sure part of the problem is that I don't know what I want. I've played since I was fifteen and can't tell you the difference between a 50s/60s/70s C/V/U neck shape, or what to expect from the umpteen different pickup options out there. I just play things and if I like them I like them. The analysis paralysis of picking the "right" Strat is real, and probably why I don't have one yet (aside from my aforementioned HH, in which case I kinda cheated, it's hard to go wrong with an American Strat with Seymour Duncan '59 and Pearly Gates on board).