The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Came across this 5 minute video, of a 23 year old Eric Clapton, in his Les Paul days, explaining how he gets some of his tone to a very square BBC reporter. I didn’t know that a wah pedal basically takes out the bass when pushed to get the wah effect and doesn’t affect the volume.

Something a little different.

In the pantheon of pointy guitars I don’t think it gets any better than a Dean Dime. Outrageous shape, monster head stock, crazy paint jobs. It just looks built to do damage. You have to have balls the size of the moon to strap one of those on.

987736ebfd518accc7c4106c23ce1757.jpg

Isn't he dead? 

Sadly yes. Murdered on stage. One of the great guitar tragedies up there with SRV and Jimi in my book.

I frequented a different forum back when he was killed in 2004, and I remember a lot of “Who cares, some tweedly metal guy died.” Then people went off and listened and came back to the discussion like, “Damn. Respect.”
  • Like 1

I don't know what's more impressive, this collection of guitars, the talent who collected them, or the work this dude put into making this vid.

Damn.

Get your geek on if it feels right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c04kSeThUEI

Edited by Cajun
The Stories Behind David Gilmour's $21.5 Million Guitar Collection | History and Photos of All 126 (Couldn't get it to imbed)

Now for the least exciting guitar pron post, I just bought a Yamaha FG830. Needed a halfway decent acoustic I wouldn't feel badly about getting drunk and forgetting it out on the patio. It seems to get a lot of love for what it is at that price point. 

On 7/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, Deej said:

Now for the least exciting guitar pron post, I just bought a Yamaha FG830. Needed a halfway decent acoustic I wouldn't feel badly about getting drunk and forgetting it out on the patio. It seems to get a lot of love for what it is at that price point. 

Like the Rodney Carrington song....I don't care how old and droopy they are, I still wanna see em.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

But I’m not Ronnie wood and he is so he can play whatever the hell he damn well pleases.

This was EXACTLY my thought.  Ronnie is beyond reproach.

Irrelevant anecdote:  I've only seen the Stones one time, on the "Bridges to Babylon" tour at Texas Motor Speedway.  Their set had a bridge that came out and connected to a tiny "club" stage right in front of my face.  I could have spit and hit the band.  They played a few tunes, and right at the jump some chick threw her bra on stage.  Ronnie picked it up, put it on his head like some kind of flight helmet, and played the rest of his set like that.  I like Ronnie, he's a very good player and has a terrific heart.

• Like 2

Irrelevant anecdote:  I've only seen the Stones one time, on the "Bridges to Babylon" tour at Texas Motor Speedway.  Their set had a bridge that came out and connected to a tiny "club" stage right in front of my face.  I could have spit and hit the band.  They played a few tunes, and right at the jump some chick threw her bra on stage.  Ronnie picked it up, put it on his head like some kind of flight helmet, and played the rest of his set like that.  I like Ronnie, he's a very good player and has a terrific heart.

I was at that show. I was too far out to see the bra.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

GIF by IFC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "build your own guitar" websites have sucked me into their magnetic field.  I am thinking of putting together a Warmoth thinline tele with P90's.  
But I'm sure you guys will talk me into a low-fee index fund instead.

Welcome to the dark side.

Did you see the Warmoth thin line I posted earlier in the thread with neck humbucker?

It’s a beauty. I’m sure you could pull something similar off.

d0f5b4c4a9ed32c81f6790b5ab253d93.jpg
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

The "build your own guitar" websites have sucked me into their magnetic field.  I am thinking of putting together a Warmoth thinline tele with P90's.  

But I'm sure you guys will talk me into a low-fee index fund instead.

Funnily enough, this popped up in my Reverb reed today.  You could do as well for half the price. 

gdja8nt3fpjjbybarzji.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/24048471-fender-custom-shop-artisan-p90-koa-tele?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvdXpBRCoARIsAMJSKqIMscWW-Oqg_fcx2NBnQmBt3B02-MVfVGjT7NvVw2ZdpFOce78FGc0aAvx-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&merchant_id=101627456&pla=1&utm_campaign=1953837323&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

3 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

That looks great.  Nice color combo.

Did you buy the pickups/hardware from them, or from somewhere else?

99% of the hardware I bought from them.  One pickup I bought from one of our very own guitar thread friends who needed rid of a neck Pearly Gates.  The bridge I bought at a guitar show in anticipation of cobbling this thing together.  If I had it to do again, I'd probably get the steel individual string barrel bridge.  But this one does just fine.  It's brass compensated.  The decal I bought from a guy in NY who's great.  

The rest is Warmoth.  

6 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Was thinking of a thinline P90 like this:

https://reverb.com/item/14263255-paoletti-guitars-nancy-thinline-2p90-electric-guitar-sunset-orange

But I think I could build something that plays as well and costs 1/3 as much.

Depending on how fancy you want to get with your wood/hardware, you could probably do that.  Picking out all the bits is a helluva lot of fun too.  

1 minute ago, noharleyyet said:

Does it sound Benoit'ish....cool assemblage btw

I've never played a Benoit, so I can't say.  I needed a Tele, so the bridge is a SD Five-two which does that.  The PG does surprisingly nice clean jazzy tones, but I can also do some out of phase Peter Green stuff as well (the volume is a push/pull that splits the coils).  

It's going to sound crazy, but the thing I'm most pleased about after having had it a while is that it's resonant enough to be a great couch guitar.  I play it while watching TV all the time - to my wife's chagrin (though Chad Jr. is a fan - "You're pretty good at that.  We should sell tickets.").  Yet when I plug it in, it's pure chicken-pickin Tele.  Losing that weight to make it a thin line didn't do anything bad to the tone.

• Like 1