The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

We can call our album Shuck So Down

11 tracks worth of Surly Suck! Each doing his own inimitable job of fucking up the solo to “Cinnamon Girl!” As a bonus disc, you’ll receive 20 starts of your favorite classic rock bits that inevitably drop off after the first verse with a mumbled “I forget how the rest goes...”

It’s music magic! Get yours at the Co-Op today and receive a free life size Chinese statue of Vince Young!

Llame Ya!!!

• Like 2

So I just got done with Joe Bonamassa at Red Rocks.  I was impressed, entertained and got more than my money’s worth.  Doubt I’ll ever buy any of his albums or songs, but I’ll catch him live anytime I can.  It’s not to his jacket, slicked-back hair and glasses that I’m paying attention to.

Will post some pics of the venue later.

• Like 2

I'm likely buying this beat up old motherfucker.

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/austin-guild-d25/6954459344.html

My guitar hero played a Guild.  He was a Dad in the neighborhood that was always strumming when I was a kid...and I listened.  He played in his boxer shorts on the fancy couch in the formal room, but that just enhanced his musicality.  

• Like 1

Just checking in.  I'm still learning.  I hurt my right thumb and had to take a little break but I'm back into it.  A new dog is also eating into guitar time but that's ok because he's freaking awesome.  He's getting us to walk 5-7 miles a day which is great for my old legs.

Last word from me on the Bonamassa gig.  It was a fantastic guitar pron concert.  In two hours he played 9+ guitars including at least one of his $250K+ 1959/1960 Burst Les Pauls.

Bonamassa directs us out of the courtyard and upstairs to a small room where he displays a nice cross-section of his collection: the ES-355, along with a 1961 ES-335, a 1963 Gibson Firebird I, 1953 and 1954 blackguard Fender Telecasters, a 1955 hardtail Stratocaster, a 1932 Martin 0-17, and a 1970 Martin D-41. A trio of brown cases—two Liftons and a Stone—lie on the floor, each holding one of Bonamassa’s three Bursts. The guitarist tenderly unlatches each case and reveals the guitars. Their gorgeous maple tops have faded into varying shades of scarlet and amber, and they glow, as does their owner as he gazes upon them. “I could’ve bought a house or these three-quarter-million-dollar guitars. I chose the guitars in a heartbeat. I love them. They’re like my children,” he says, with emotion.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/guitaraficionado/joe-bonamassa-shares-his-rare-les-pauls-and-other-guitars

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

Last word from me on the Bonamassa gig.  It was a fantastic guitar pron concert.  In two hours he played 9+ guitars including at least one of his $250K+ 1959/1960 Burst Les Pauls.

No one is currently doing more to promote guitar culture. His shows seem like a guitar lovers' revival.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Not quite equivalent, but you can buy this with the chump change you find in your sofa:

1960-gibson-les-paul-standard-johnny-f-o

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-standard-johnny-fever-burst-1960-sunburst

Standard CL response: I see some dings in the headstock and the fretboard looks worn. Case has quite a bit of damage. Straight up trade for a 1987 Charvel with gig bag? Red 80's rock machine with serious mojo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

wait tigol, are you playing now?

Not trying to shit on him but Bonamassa is a blues G3 guy.  I hope there's someone else (because he's becoming a legacy artist himself) but I'd argue that John Mayer promotes guitar culture more, by virtue of being a player who is all about guitar who has a profile that extends beyond people who are all about guitar.  Gary Clark Jr?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Not trying to shit on him but Bonamassa is a blues G3 guy.  I hope there's someone else (because he's becoming a legacy artist himself) but I'd argue that John Mayer promotes guitar culture more, by virtue of being a player who is all about guitar who has a profile that extends beyond people who are all about guitar.  Gary Clark Jr?

I'm not a big fan of slide guitar, but I'd put Derek Trucks in that conversation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I definitely agree that Bonamassa is not pure blues, and if that's what you are looking for, then you are better off looking elsewhere.  His original songs are somewhere on the spectrum of blues-rock, with tbone's example above being much more towards the rock pole.  None of what he played at Red Rock's was as characteristically bluesy as the Muddy Waters cover that he included in his set.

I think I read somewhere that he acknowledged that his influences were not authentic American blues.  Actually it was in the wikipedia article about him:

Unlike many blues rock guitarists that came before him, Bonamassa's influences are British and Irish blues acts rather than American artists. In an interview in Guitarist magazine he cited three albums that had the biggest influence on his playing: John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton (the Beano album), Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour and Goodbye by Cream.[28] He also noted that Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood had a big influence when Bonamassa was young. Among other bands, he listed the early blues playing of Jethro Tull as an influence, and named both Martin Barre and Mick Abrahams as important musicians to him.[29][30]

He elaborated on his influences:

"You know, my heroes were the Columbia guys – Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, Eric Clapton. There’s so many – there’s Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher – another Irish musician who played the same things, but don't tell him that. But those guys were my guys – Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page. There's a certain sophistication to their approach to the blues that I really like, more so than the American blues that I was listening to. B.B. King's a big influence – he's probably my biggest traditional influence. I love Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and T-Bone Walker and stuff like that, but I couldn't sit down. I was always forcing myself to listen to whole records by them, where I'd rather listen to Humble Pie do "I'm Ready" than Muddy Waters, you know? I think, the English interpretation of the blues just hit me a lot better, you know?"[31]

Edited by Goredho

"You know, my heroes were the Columbia guys – Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, Eric Clapton. There’s so many – there’s Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher – another Irish musician who played the same things, but don't tell him that. But those guys were my guys – Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page. There's a certain sophistication to their approach to the blues that I really like, more so than the American blues that I was listening to. B.B. King's a big influence – he's probably my biggest traditional influence. I love Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and T-Bone Walker and stuff like that, but I couldn't sit down. I was always forcing myself to listen to whole records by them, where I'd rather listen to Humble Pie do "I'm Ready" than Muddy Waters, you know? I think, the English interpretation of the blues just hit me a lot better, you know?"[

That's a roundabout way of saying he was influenced by the guys who were influenced by the blues. 

Yeah, I just wonder if the reaction to him might be different if he was not so strongly classified as "blues" -- which is something he absolutely embraces and promotes.  I'm just not sure where else his style of guitar-focused music belongs.  There really doesn't seem to be a place for it in the mainstream.  He's not the southern rock that has been subsumed by country.  There is still a vestige of metal and prog rock, but JB doesn't belong in the same musical genre as Dream Theater.  So where do you put the guy's music that is more accurate than "blues"?

I don't really care what bucket one puts JB in, I find his playing just a little too lacking in soul.  The 2 clips tbone_ posted illustrate it pretty well for me.  Neither he nor Mayer possess particularly enduring personalities, but somehow when I watch Mayer I feel like he's truly connected.  Joe feels more robotic.

That said, he's obviously a monster player, and I am ALL FOR monster players doing what he's doing, which is playing live and keeping that light on.  

When I think of later generation blues rock players I want to listen to, I feel like Austin has put multiple guys on the map that are in Bonamassa's realm as players but who connect just a little more.  Obviously SRV (via Dallas), but also Ian Moore, Charlie Sexton, Chris Duarte, Doyle Jr., GClark Jr., etc.  If you haven't had your ears pinned back in a small club by one of those guys, then I think it's just a little easier to gravitate to a guy like JB.  In no way am I trying to diminish his talent or even snub those who are fanatics -- like I said, he's on the road bringing real bands to real people and I applaud him for it.  It's just not quite my thing.

I'd probably sell a kid to play like him, though.  Just kidding.  Maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I definitely agree that Bonamassa is not pure blues, and if that's what you are looking for, then you are better off looking elsewhere.  His original songs are somewhere on the spectrum of blues-rock, with tbone's example above being much more towards the rock pole.  None of what he played at Red Rock's was as characteristically bluesy as the Muddy Waters cover that he included in his set.

I think I read somewhere that he acknowledged that his influences were not authentic American blues.  Actually it was in the wikipedia article about him:

His longest tenured backline consisted of two vintage Silver Jubilees.

I mean, come on.

There aren't many shows these days where you can show up and the dude on guitar is slinging, on a slow day, half a mil of irreplaceable maple and mahogany. That's just cool to me, regardless of the music. Like, I would pay a reasonable amount of cash to walk into a museum and just look at a '59. If it's going to also make sound, that's just icing.

I think I've linked this one before, or maybe one of the reaction videos to it, but if you listen to this and aren't taken by the power, maybe it's not Bonamassa who's without soul.

And John Mayer? You're disqualified from a guitar culture conversation where Bonamassa is being categorized as being a blues lawyer with mojo-less tone if your signature guitar is a PRS. GTFOH [#sarcasm]

(caveat: John Mayer is a guitar god. One of the last remaining still putting out relevant music. But Mayer/Bonamassa isn't either/or and it should never be..)

Edited by BoomMF

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

I think I've linked this one before, or maybe one of the reaction videos to it, but if you listen to this and aren't taken by the power, maybe it's not Bonamassa who's without soul.

Yep, he sounds great (especially when he's soloing and the camera is behind Beth Hart).